New forums are now live. Check it out for yourself.

Cleveland Browns 2019

Forum: NFL Betting
Author: [NFL Betting] Topic: Cleveland Browns 2019
NinjaNight PM NinjaNight
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 5052
 
NinjaNight
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 2/5/2019 3:08:31 PM
Is this a sleeper team of next season? I feel like they could become strong in the coming years. Seems like there's serious potential in that team despite not being playoff caliber this season. 

It would be funny to see them rival New England at some point in the next few years. They hate the Patriots. 

They have a very nice super young QB/RB duo. Mayfield has been impressive this year imo. Good passer, super competitive. Chubb is very talented. 

Seems like they have a nice foundation to build around. Will they be any good next year?
bk1374 PM bk1374
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 7419
 
bk1374
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 2/5/2019 3:31:41 PM
They'll be a popular pick to be a playoff team, I feel.  With Bengals and Steelers possibly in decline, I think (as of now) they'll have a decent chance to make the playoffs.  

If you mean sleeper to make/win Super Bowl, that might be tougher sledding.  Since 2000 only 9 of the 36 SB participants failed to make the playoffs the previous year, and only 3 teams in that stretch went from being under to making the Super Bowl.  (apologies if I missed a year, it's possible).  Obviously, the first key to making the SB is making the playoffs, so you never know.




NinjaNight PM NinjaNight
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 5052
 
NinjaNight
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 2/5/2019 4:28:02 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by bk1374:

They'll be a popular pick to be a playoff team, I feel.  With Bengals and Steelers possibly in decline, I think (as of now) they'll have a decent chance to make the playoffs.  

If you mean sleeper to make/win Super Bowl, that might be tougher sledding.  Since 2000 only 9 of the 36 SB participants failed to make the playoffs the previous year, and only 3 teams in that stretch went from being under to making the Super Bowl.  (apologies if I missed a year, it's possible).  Obviously, the first key to making the SB is making the playoffs, so you never know.





I doubt they'd make the Superbowl already but maybe winning a wild card game, or at least being there and putting up a fight. Just seems like they should develop into a strong team over the next couple years. I hope so, would be very interesting to see a fresh team in the competition.
bk1374 PM bk1374
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 7419
 
bk1374
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 2/5/2019 4:53:09 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by NinjaNight:


I doubt they'd make the Superbowl already but maybe winning a wild card game, or at least being there and putting up a fight. Just seems like they should develop into a strong team over the next couple years. I hope so, would be very interesting to see a fresh team in the competition.

Exactly.  I would say, anything short of a playoff berth would be a step back for them.  7-8-1 last season and 1-2-1 in OT.  Had 4 losses by double digits, but 3 of those were to playoff teams (KC, LAC, PIT and HOU).   They went 1-5 against playoff teams this past season, so they'll have to take it up another notch to compete, but if they don't have the pieces in place now, when will they ever?

They play NFC West next season, along with Bills, Dolphins, Titans (at home) and Pats, Jets, Broncos on the road.  



wallstreetcappers PM wallstreetcappers
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 53155
 
wallstreetcappers
Participation Meter
Covers Linesmen
Posted: 2/5/2019 5:37:08 PM

How can you think they will improve when they hired a coach with zero experience only because their overpaid QB is thrilled about his laid back "Bama" style?

Kitchens isnt an offensive guru, he was the RB/Line/QB coach for the Cards and I dont think he has what it takes to be a head coach but I guess we will see.

It wont take long for the league to bottle up Mayfield and see if the rest of the team can prove them wrong. I also think the defense for sure will be weaker with Gregg gone this year. Not sure why the Browns didnt lock him up one way or the other.

bk1374 PM bk1374
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 7419
 
bk1374
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 2/5/2019 5:59:57 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

How can you think they will improve when they hired a coach with zero experience only because their overpaid QB is thrilled about his laid back "Bama" style?

Kitchens isnt an offensive guru, he was the RB/Line/QB coach for the Cards and I dont think he has what it takes to be a head coach but I guess we will see.

It wont take long for the league to bottle up Mayfield and see if the rest of the team can prove them wrong. I also think the defense for sure will be weaker with Gregg gone this year. Not sure why the Browns didnt lock him up one way or the other.


I'm not sure they will, I just feel like they'll be a popular pick to improve next season based on how they did this year, and the younger talent they have.  Obviously, a lot can/will happen between now and Week 1.

I agree about Gregg. Surprised they let him walk.  Although nothing the Browns do should surprise anyone, aside from winning. 
Picc6 PM Picc6
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 115
 
Picc6
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 2/5/2019 6:26:25 PM
If that’s how u feel about the Browns.  Browns winning their division be a good future bet
NinjaNight PM NinjaNight
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 5052
 
NinjaNight
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 2/5/2019 6:34:45 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Picc6:

If that’s how u feel about the Browns.  Browns winning their division be a good future bet

I think they have the talent to develop into a strong team, but I'm not sure they have the management to do so? Point of this thread I'm looking for opinions and things I don't know about them. I'm not sure about them myself.
usarmy69-71 PM usarmy69-71
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 345
 
usarmy69-71
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 2/6/2019 9:00:10 AM
i been betting fb for 50yrs i always thought marriota should have been #1 pick not winston also balt gave away there best chance for a titlt---flaco-- i see baker mayfield turning out to be a better qb than mahomes.clev should have beaten balt.mahomes had no clue against pats.i think clev can win div. next yr
NinjaNight PM NinjaNight
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 5052
 
NinjaNight
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 2/6/2019 3:02:53 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by usarmy69-71:

i been betting fb for 50yrs i always thought marriota should have been #1 pick not winston also balt gave away there best chance for a titlt---flaco-- i see baker mayfield turning out to be a better qb than mahomes.clev should have beaten balt.mahomes had no clue against pats.i think clev can win div. next yr

lancer89074 PM lancer89074
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4049
 
lancer89074
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 2/6/2019 4:46:56 PM

As usual, Cleveland management/ownership, just shot themselves in the foot again. The spirited performances and the never give up attitude of that Browns' defense is directly related to what Gregg Williams brought to the table. 

Make no mistake, it was their D that kept them in many of the games that the rejuvenated offense managed to win. 

Their stats weren't that good, but anyone who watched their games saw that week in and week out no matter the circumstances, that D never gave up and they played with intensity and heart. 

Instead of rewarding Williams with the head coaching job, they gave it to the other guy. Can Kitchens' get out of his defense what they had this last year? We'll see, but my guess is that they regress defensively...and spells some more mediocre seasons for the Browns who are owned and led by people who have no wisdom. 

NinjaNight PM NinjaNight
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 5052
 
NinjaNight
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 2/6/2019 5:55:57 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by lancer89074:

As usual, Cleveland management/ownership, just shot themselves in the foot again. The spirited performances and the never give up attitude of that Browns' defense is directly related to what Gregg Williams brought to the table. 

Make no mistake, it was their D that kept them in many of the games that the rejuvenated offense managed to win. 

Their stats weren't that good, but anyone who watched their games saw that week in and week out no matter the circumstances, that D never gave up and they played with intensity and heart. 

Instead of rewarding Williams with the head coaching job, they gave it to the other guy. Can Kitchens' get out of his defense what they had this last year? We'll see, but my guess is that they regress defensively...and spells some more mediocre seasons for the Browns who are owned and led by people who have no wisdom. 


Dang... that would be really disappointing. Hope you're wrong if not what the heck is wrong with that pathetic management?
lancer89074 PM lancer89074
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4049
 
lancer89074
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 2/7/2019 6:07:05 AM

I hope I am wrong also. 

zebrakiller PM zebrakiller
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 5824
 
zebrakiller
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 2/9/2019 10:34:29 AM
Browns meh!  Glad i dont live in Clev.

omg to have to put up with losers like that team and those gawd awful ugly colors and uniforms

Even tho Baker looks good somehow some way Browns staff and scouts and drafting guys will screw it up.

Even the best Coach ever Bill Bellichick failed in Cleve.

Then few years ago Mike Holmgren from Packers & seahawks took over as GM

NinjaNight PM NinjaNight
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 5052
 
NinjaNight
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 2/9/2019 12:46:48 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by zebrakiller:

Browns meh!  Glad i dont live in Clev.

omg to have to put up with losers like that team and those gawd awful ugly colors and uniforms

Even tho Baker looks good somehow some way Browns staff and scouts and drafting guys will screw it up.

Even the best Coach ever Bill Bellichick failed in Cleve.

 

We will see! 

If they screw up this season without making progress I won't have any faith until they make serious changes to management.
kamphil PM kamphil
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 297
 
kamphil
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 2/10/2019 5:07:42 PM

The leadership of the Cleveland Browns is in the hands of one person.....John Dorsey....

and he knows what he is doing.   He learned under two great management people in GB

(Ron wolf and Ted Thompson).   I liken the current

Cleveland Browns to that of the early 90's Dallas Cowboys.  1990 Dallas went 7-9 and 4-2 in their last 6....10-6 ats

Cleveland went 5-2 in their last 7, finished 7-8-1.....10-6 ats    1991 Dallas went 11-5 and won a wildcard playoff gm.

I think that's now a plausible scenario.   They have 11 draft picks and a nice core of "players".  Yes, they looked bad

against the good teams on their schedule, but starting when Baker Mayfield took over in game 3 vs the Jets, they were 7-7 with a rookie QB and much better when they got rid of the head coach.  But lets discuss a few intangibles....do you think Steve Wilks was the problem in Arizona?   I don't....and many other teams wanted him to be their DC....Cleveland got him.

OC Todd Monken presided over the #1 passing game and the #3 offense overall in 2018 with TB....but Im more impressed

with the work he did with Southern Mississippi.

Lastly, while he didn't deserve it, Baker Mayfield will use the rookie of the Year snub as motivation.   I like his story from 

college and how he kept overcoming crap thrown in his way.   As a QB, that's the type of leader you want for your team.

But what should we be looking to as far as participants on covers.com?   Yes, how will be they be ATS!!!!

In 1991, Dallas went 13-3 ats…..and Im planning on making a bunch of $$$ betting Cleveland blindly

 

NinjaNight PM NinjaNight
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 5052
 
NinjaNight
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 2/10/2019 6:47:15 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by kamphil:

The leadership of the Cleveland Browns is in the hands of one person.....John Dorsey....

and he knows what he is doing.   He learned under two great management people in GB

(Ron wolf and Ted Thompson).   I liken the current

Cleveland Browns to that of the early 90's Dallas Cowboys.  1990 Dallas went 7-9 and 4-2 in their last 6....10-6 ats

Cleveland went 5-2 in their last 7, finished 7-8-1.....10-6 ats    1991 Dallas went 11-5 and won a wildcard playoff gm.

I think that's now a plausible scenario.   They have 11 draft picks and a nice core of "players".  Yes, they looked bad

against the good teams on their schedule, but starting when Baker Mayfield took over in game 3 vs the Jets, they were 7-7 with a rookie QB and much better when they got rid of the head coach.  But lets discuss a few intangibles....do you think Steve Wilks was the problem in Arizona?   I don't....and many other teams wanted him to be their DC....Cleveland got him.

OC Todd Monken presided over the #1 passing game and the #3 offense overall in 2018 with TB....but Im more impressed

with the work he did with Southern Mississippi.

Lastly, while he didn't deserve it, Baker Mayfield will use the rookie of the Year snub as motivation.   I like his story from 

college and how he kept overcoming crap thrown in his way.   As a QB, that's the type of leader you want for your team.

But what should we be looking to as far as participants on covers.com?   Yes, how will be they be ATS!!!!

In 1991, Dallas went 13-3 ats…..and Im planning on making a bunch of $$$ betting Cleveland blindly

 



Thanks for posting this
NinjaNight PM NinjaNight
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 5052
 
NinjaNight
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 2/11/2019 9:54:29 PM
New development! Cleveland signs Kareem Hunt!

The plot. thickens!
dallman PM dallman
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 74
 
dallman
Participation Meter
Covers Rehab
Posted: 2/16/2019 11:14:29 PM


Lymond PM Lymond
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
 
Lymond
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 2/26/2019 7:01:58 PM
I'd like to know who was the main champion of drafting Mayfield with their first pick - was it Dorsey or someone else in the organization?

Also, who made the bad decision to practically give away Danny Shelton?  The Browns were ranked #2 in defensive yards per rush in 2017, but fell to #20 in 2018 without Shelton.

The Browns are looking up, but a tougher schedule could cause a regression this year.  Browns fans hope Mayfield can avoid the sophomore jinx.

I have no opinion on the season wins total which my book has not yet posted.
NinjaNight PM NinjaNight
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 5052
 
NinjaNight
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 3/12/2019 10:26:39 PM
Hehe. Odell Beckham to the Browns!

It's looking better and better.

Maybe I am a prophet.
Forum: NFL Betting
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.
Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View