Messages

Forum Index : General Discussion : Messages Page 1 of 6  1 2 3 4 5   »
Author: [General Discussion] Topic: Can someone tell me how affrimative action is not racist
EazyFBaby send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
EazyFBaby
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 3054
Location: United States
#1
Posted: 5/21/2012 10:44:00 PM
Just curious... It really doesn't make too much sense to me..
quote
Omerta
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Omerta
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 1196
Location: Italy
#2
Posted: 5/21/2012 10:47:33 PM
You would have more of a point if you didn't have that avatar
quote
EazyFBaby send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
EazyFBaby
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 3054
Location: United States
#3
Posted: 5/21/2012 10:50:46 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Omerta:

You would have more of a point if you didn't have that avatar


Leave Sofia out of this
quote
-29-
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
-29-
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 3299
Location: Virginia
#4
Posted: 5/21/2012 10:53:19 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by Omerta:

You would have more of a point if you didn't have that avatar

 

 What is your "go to" brand of Absinthe ?

quote
Omerta
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Omerta
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 1196
Location: Italy
#5
Posted: 5/21/2012 10:58:20 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by -29-:

 

 What is your "go to" brand of Absinthe ?


You are the first person to ask or even reference my avatar since I joined in 2009.

Vieux Portarlier is my favorite
Pernod is not bad, and one I recommend to people wanting to try it.




quote
-29-
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
-29-
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 3299
Location: Virginia
#6
Posted: 5/21/2012 11:11:21 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Omerta:


You are the first person to ask or even reference my avatar since I joined in 2009.

Vieux Portarlier is my favorite
Pernod is not bad, and one I recommend to people wanting to try it.




 

quote
EazyFBaby send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
EazyFBaby
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 3054
Location: United States
#7
Posted: 5/22/2012 12:27:39 PM
Ok so am I the only one the thinks this concept is racist? The fact that I might have better credentials than a minority and will not get the job purely because they are a different ethnicity is the dumbest concept I have ever heard of and is completely racist. Why am I not judged purely on performance and not the color of my skin?
quote
boberts427
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
boberts427
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 4933
Location: United States
#8
Posted: 5/22/2012 12:32:21 PM
 it's racist
quote
D_Unit send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
D_Unit
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 2642
Location: Texas
#9
Posted: 5/22/2012 12:34:21 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by EazyFBaby:

Ok so am I the only one the thinks this concept is racist? The fact that I might have better credentials than a minority and will not get the job purely because they are a different ethnicity is the dumbest concept I have ever heard of and is completely racist. Why am I not judged purely on performance and not the color of my skin?


Common logic says of course it's racist, yet that appears to be "ok" when it benefits a certain minority. Programs like this is what keeps racism alive and well.
quote
ClubDirt send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
ClubDirt
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 21539
Location: United States
#10
Posted: 5/22/2012 12:38:28 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by EazyFBaby:

Ok so am I the only one the thinks this concept is racist? The fact that I might have better credentials than a minority and will not get the job purely because they are a different ethnicity is the dumbest concept I have ever heard of and is completely racist. Why am I not judged purely on performance and not the color of my skin?


no, for two reasons.  first, if you look up the term racism (many people should actually look up word definitions as they often use words without understanding their meaning), it includes this phrase: race   .
quote
AustinHoopDream send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
AustinHoopDream
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 8408
Location: Illinois
#11
Posted: 5/22/2012 12:39:34 PM
how do you feel about nepotism? how about legacies at top tier universities? how do you feel about cronyism?

something tells me that at best your job requires a name tag and a uniform and nothing in the way of 'credentials' and that employers routinely hire minorities for your position not out of preference but rather out of necessity.


quote
ClubDirt send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
ClubDirt
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 21539
Location: United States
#12
Posted: 5/22/2012 12:41:58 PM
i lost my post.


no, for two reasons.  first, if you look up the term racism (many people should actually look up word definitions as they often use words without understanding their meaning), it includes this phrase: involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others. 

the point of AA is not to say black people are superior as a race.  it's a tool that is used to attempt to level the playing field given that there is no argument that racism against black people has and continues to exist.

secondly, my defintion of racism/bigotry (i don't distinguish the two in a general sense) includes the practice of treating people differently (negatively) based on their race, gender, sexual orientation, religion without proper justification.  whether i agree with the execution of AA policies, i can certainly see the justification of trying to level the playing field so it's not racist in in that definition either. 
quote
Slobbasaurus send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Slobbasaurus
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 3207
Location: New Jersey
#13
Posted: 5/22/2012 2:17:11 PM

Was never a fan.

If you don't support it, does that make you a racist? 

quote
atlheatholder
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
atlheatholder
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 5808
Location: United States
#14
Posted: 5/22/2012 2:25:00 PM

Club -

I see your point about trying to level the playing field, but disagree that AA is the right move.

I prefer a less intrusive approach - education.

 

Eazy - yes, it is racist (prejudiced against other races).

 

 

quote
HutchEmAll send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
HutchEmAll
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 38019
Location: Minnesota
#15
Posted: 5/22/2012 2:25:55 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by EazyFBaby:

Ok so am I the only one the thinks this concept is racist? The fact that I might have better credentials than a minority and will not get the job purely because they are a different ethnicity is the dumbest concept I have ever heard of and is completely racist. Why am I not judged purely on performance and not the color of my skin?

Affirmative Action is not racist.  It requires that companies make a conscious effort to recruit QUALIFIED women and minorities. It also means that organizations should try to remove barriers that can limit personal and professional development of women and minorities.  

I've hired thousands of people....not once have I ever chose a women or a minority who wasn't qualified over a white person who was.  
quote
14daroad send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
14daroad
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 9261
Location: Virginia
#16
Posted: 5/22/2012 2:54:38 PM

Of course it is racist.

It presumes that non-whites are inferior in their intellect so they need a "step up" in order to get a job or admitted to school.

 

quote
ClubDirt send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
ClubDirt
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 21539
Location: United States
#17
Posted: 5/22/2012 2:58:34 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by 14daroad:

Of course it is racist.

It presumes that non-whites are inferior in their intellect so they need a "step up" in order to get a job or admitted to school.

 



you are so far off on just about every subject.  that's not what it presumes.  that's what racists like you presume and because moron racists like you presume that, AA was initiated to give the victims of racism a level playing field. 
quote
14daroad send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
14daroad
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 9261
Location: Virginia
#18
Posted: 5/22/2012 3:13:01 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by ClubDirt:



you are so far off on just about every subject.  that's not what it presumes.  that's what racists like you presume and because moron racists like you presume that, AA was initiated to give the victims of racism a level playing field. 

Except that I"m not "far off" at all.

See, blacks have lower admission standards to law school than other races.

duh.

quote
666LES send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetDSI |
666LES
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2420
Location: New York
#19
Posted: 5/22/2012 3:51:21 PM
As long as theres a Quota its preferental and thus racist.
quote
canovsp
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
canovsp
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 5011
Location: United States
#20
Posted: 5/22/2012 4:06:03 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by 14daroad:

Of course it is racist.

It presumes that non-whites are inferior in their intellect so they need a "step up" in order to get a job or admitted to school.

 


I agree. 
It is racists against anyone who benefits because, like 14 said, it
 presumes the race benefiting is inferior and needs the help.
It would be like a black person on Jeopardy and the $100 category
 for whites would count as $200 for blacks. Or a grocery store
 charging Latinos less for something than whites because
 they were Latino.
Years ago I remember the professor and economist Walter Williams
 saying if he ever received a job because he was black he
 would have been offended.
quote
HutchEmAll send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
HutchEmAll
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 38019
Location: Minnesota
#21
Posted: 5/22/2012 5:40:28 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by 14daroad:

Of course it is racist.

It presumes that non-whites are inferior in their intellect so they need a "step up" in order to get a job or admitted to school.

I have to borrow from vanzack.   You are dumb.  

quote
HutchEmAll send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
HutchEmAll
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 38019
Location: Minnesota
#22
Posted: 5/22/2012 5:41:54 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by 666LES:

As long as theres a Quota its preferental and thus racist.

That's called preferential AA and that has been hotly debated.  I am not in favor of that.
quote
HutchEmAll send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
HutchEmAll
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 38019
Location: Minnesota
#23
Posted: 5/22/2012 5:44:23 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by 14daroad:

Except that I"m not "far off" at all.

See, blacks have lower admission standards to law school than other races.

duh.


This is not affirmative action, dope.  
quote
HutchEmAll send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
HutchEmAll
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 38019
Location: Minnesota
#24
Posted: 5/22/2012 5:53:25 PM

The same year, the U.S. Supreme Court decided in Griggs v. Duke Power Co.that an employer’s use of a high school diploma requirement and aptitude tests violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Black applicants disproportionately lacked diplomas and/or scored low on the tests, and the requirements had a disparate impact on this group. The court held that even if an employment practice is “facially neutral,” it’s suspect if it has an adverse impact on members of a protected class. To avoid liability, businesses would have to demonstrate that such tests are a business necessity or related to job performance.

Fast forward 40 years, and “affirmative action” has reached embarrassing proportions. Not only are prospective college students given points and other special considerations for the color of their skin, but blacks themselves publicly announce to the world that they can’t nor should be expected to compete with whites on pencil-and-paper civil service exams.

____________

Notice how he puts "affirmative action" in quotes?  

This is a complicated debate with many tentacles.  But adding points onto a score for minorities doesn't constitute affirmative action in its purest sense.  That's called preferential treatment.  

quote
EazyFBaby send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
EazyFBaby
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 3054
Location: United States
#25
Posted: 5/22/2012 6:01:29 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by ClubDirt:

i lost my post.


no, for two reasons.  first, if you look up the term racism (many people should actually look up word definitions as they often use words without understanding their meaning), it includes this phrase: involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others. 

the point of AA is not to say black people are superior as a race.  it's a tool that is used to attempt to level the playing field given that there is no argument that racism against black people has and continues to exist.

secondly, my defintion of racism/bigotry (i don't distinguish the two in a general sense) includes the practice of treating people differently (negatively) based on their race, gender, sexual orientation, religion without proper justification.  whether i agree with the execution of AA policies, i can certainly see the justification of trying to level the playing field so it's not racist in in that definition either. 


Racism is generally understood as either belief that different racial groups are characterized by intrinsic characteristics or abilities and that some such groups are therefore naturally superior to others, [1][2] or as practices that discriminate against members of particular racial groups,[1] for example by perpetuating unequal access to resources between groups.[3]



quote
Forum Index : General Discussion : Messages Page 1 of 6  1 2 3 4 5   »
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.