Messages

Forum Index : Politics : Messages Page 1 of 2  1 2  
Author: [Politics] Topic: How do Christians reconcile voting for a Mormon?
be easy send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
be easy
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 15408
Location: Pennsylvania
#1
Posted: 9/7/2012 10:58:13 AM
I asked my mom, who is a right wing Christian type voter. She didn't offer much of an answer, other then the old gag "but Obama,,,,you're not going to vote for Obama, are you?",,,,,,,"no, mom,,,,,but it has nothing to do with some faux religious bent"

link

A recent survey of the national Mormon population by Pew Research found 97 percent of Mormons identified themselves as Christians, but only half of the general population agree with that characterization

"There is just a long standing hostility on the part of evangelicals towards Mormons," Mouw said. "There is a counterculture movement that depicts Mormonism not only as heretical but as inspired by Satan. The idea the Joseph Smith was visited by an angel and was told that the creeds of Christianity were an abomination has never sat well with evangelicals."

Even though Romney faces scrutiny -- whether fair or unfair -- for his deep-rooted faith, the former Massachusetts governor is much more culpable for the criticism he receives for his shifting record on sensitive issues such as abortion and happy marriage. As a Republican in a historically progressive state, Romney often found himself supporting moderate positions on social issues, putting him at odds with the more conservative part of his party. He has found himself on both sides of the happy marriage debate and made statements (like one during his Senate run against Ted Kennedy in 1994 to protect a woman's right to choose) that leave many social conservatives distrustful that Romney has made a true commitment to the goals of the religious right.

------------------------------------

As someone that always sides with freedom and liberties regardless of what simple-simon labels that people assign to sets of beliefs, i can appreciate someone that has their personal faith, no matter how wack-a-doo,,,,,in hopes that he would be more open minded to freedoms rather then always selling out to the religious right. After all, who wouldn't marry their dog for a tax exemption? This is aMerica, and we mericans love our privileges!!


quote
be easy send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
be easy
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 15408
Location: Pennsylvania
#2
Posted: 9/7/2012 10:59:20 AM
I don't know how the title got screwed up,,,,if a mod sees this, could you delete this post after fixing the title to say

How do Christians Reconcile with Voting for a Mormon


quote
Stiln send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Stiln
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 6401
Location: Maryland
#3
Posted: 9/7/2012 11:17:52 AM
That's not a bad question to pose...

I don't belong to the protestant church but I know that they don't think too highly of the mormons....
quote
be easy send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
be easy
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 15408
Location: Pennsylvania
#4
Posted: 9/7/2012 11:24:26 AM
We must protect the sanctity of marriage!

By electing an uber progressive polygamist from the cult of Joe Smith!


quote
esplanade send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
esplanade
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8513
Location:
#5
Posted: 9/7/2012 11:39:36 AM
How does anyone who needs to work or eat for that matter justify a vote for obama?

How does anyone who loves America justify a vote for someone who dignifies "God damn America?"

How does anyone who has lived in America the last four years..........

It's all about the economy stupids.


quote
wallstreetcappers send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
wallstreetcappers
Participation Meter
Covers Linesmen
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 49193
Location: United States
#6
Posted: 9/7/2012 11:45:45 AM
I know Mormons, Catholics, Baptists, Pentacostals, JW's and Mormons are just as much Christians as any other faith is.

I dont care if Romney is Christian or not, I care that he is a corporate insider who is not trustworthy and transparent.

People who vote based solely on religion probably should not be voting in the first place.
quote
Stiln send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Stiln
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 6401
Location: Maryland
#7
Posted: 9/7/2012 11:47:21 AM
Actually the real question here is,

They don't care about Mitt if they get to crush the rights of women, gays and racial minorities.

How Christians reconcile ignoring everything Jesus stood for is my question.


quote
AustinHoopDream send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
AustinHoopDream
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 8408
Location: Illinois
#8
Posted: 9/7/2012 11:49:42 AM
they hate blacks more than they hate mormons?
quote
be easy send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
be easy
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 15408
Location: Pennsylvania
#9
Posted: 9/7/2012 11:59:42 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

I know Mormons, Catholics, Baptists, Pentacostals, JW's and Mormons are just as much Christians as any other faith is.

I dont care if Romney is Christian or not, I care that he is a corporate insider who is not trustworthy and transparent.

People who vote based solely on religion probably should not be voting in the first place.


Is there such a thing as a trustworthy politician, that is transparent?

Everything is relative, and there's no way that Romney can be any more of a person for the Goldmans Sachs and FIRE scumbags then Obama is, do you agree?

Obama wears out a pair of knee pads twice a day, down on the ground bowing to his masters.

When he's not perpetually shoveling money to the Financials, it's because he's taking a break to shovel some to the Insurance (ppaca)
quote
wallstreetcappers send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
wallstreetcappers
Participation Meter
Covers Linesmen
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 49193
Location: United States
#10
Posted: 9/7/2012 12:37:06 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by be easy:



Is there such a thing as a trustworthy politician, that is transparent?

Everything is relative, and there's no way that Romney can be any more of a person for the Goldmans Sachs and FIRE scumbags then Obama is, do you agree?

Obama wears out a pair of knee pads twice a day, down on the ground bowing to his masters.

When he's not perpetually shoveling money to the Financials, it's because he's taking a break to shovel some to the Insurance (ppaca)

Well you know my answer, it is the same as yours.

The politician does not really matter much, but if I am being owned by special interest and corporate money I guess I would prefer a socialist leader versus a cheating capitalist like Romney. 

You dont see me backing any candidate because it really does not matter..

All that said, religious affiliation means very little to me as to a candidate.
quote
be easy send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
be easy
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 15408
Location: Pennsylvania
#11
Posted: 9/7/2012 1:09:11 PM
well, i know you know as an arizona voter, your vote doesn't matter anyways

who is this socialist leader you speak of?
quote
ClubDirt send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
ClubDirt
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 19758
Location: United States
#12
Posted: 9/7/2012 2:06:16 PM
my guess is, similar to austin, that if religion and the ridculously and comically hypocritical "family values" issues are what drives the vote, the mormon isn't black and he isn't muslim. 

on a related note, i've mentioned that i have full-on mormon neighbors.  the nicest and most benevolent people you will meet.  there is nothing in the world anyone could tell them that would cause them to vote for anyone other than romney.  of course it's because of the mormon connection.  they are so happy to have one of their own who has a shot to win.  and no one really calls them out on that.

yet when black peeople will only vote for obama because he's one of them, they are racist and stupid.  why is that?
quote
wallstreetcappers send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
wallstreetcappers
Participation Meter
Covers Linesmen
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 49193
Location: United States
#13
Posted: 9/7/2012 3:18:25 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by be easy:

well, i know you know as an arizona voter, your vote doesn't matter anyways

who is this socialist leader you speak of?

Its not who I speak of personally and as you say my vote means nothing down here on a national level and unless you live in a tiny geographic area it doesnt mean much on a local level.

quote
dl36
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetJamaica.com |
dl36
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 23542
Location: United States
#14
Posted: 9/7/2012 3:39:29 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by esplanade:

How does anyone who needs to work or eat for that matter justify a vote for obama?


How does anyone who loves America justify a vote for someone who dignifies "God damn America?"

How does anyone who has lived in America the last four years..........

It's all about the economy stupids.




Umm... the thread is not about the economy.... it is about christians voting for a mormon and the thought process behind that...

Why is it that when ever critical thought creeps into this forum you always freak out and start rambling on about obama?

It cant be more obvious that the topic makes you uncomfortable...so you show your "Tell"
quote
dl36
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetJamaica.com |
dl36
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 23542
Location: United States
#15
Posted: 9/7/2012 3:51:18 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

I know Mormons, Catholics, Baptists, Pentacostals, JW's and Mormons are just as much Christians as any other faith is.

I dont care if Romney is Christian or not, I care that he is a corporate insider who is not trustworthy and transparent.

People who vote based solely on religion probably should not be voting in the first place.

I think mormons can call themselves christians because they follow the old and new testament... but the also strongly base their religion on their own third book which is not accepted or recognized by most christians...

It would similar to christians saying that they are all jewish because they believe in the old testament...

Mormons calling themselves christians is simply an attempt to blend in with the majority while they quietly reproduce in huge numbers looking to take over the nation...  romney is a step in that direction...

I am not necessarily concerned with Romney's religion as long as he does not merge his religion with government... I actually think if elected because of his mormon faith he will be more mindful and less blatant in fusing church/state then GW bush did... 

I get what you are saying about people voting based only on religion... but it could be said that for many their religion is partisan politics...

and the partisan world view and beliefs prescribed to them guide them with pure blind faith and no critical thinking...  this absolute power tells them what to think and even to try to propagate their prescribed rhetoric like mormons going door to door or jahovah witnesses passing out the watch tower...

you see them on this site... the really sad ones that are just spewing their "partisan religion" with cut/paste links and pushing their prescribed talking points in the face of facts and evidence... 
and when ever critical thinking or perspective is offered that doesn't walk in step with their "partisan religion" they get all uncomfortable...



quote
bowlslit send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
bowlslit
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4044
Location: Greece
#16
Posted: 9/7/2012 3:54:17 PM

Originally posted by clubdirt:

my guess is, similar to austin, that if religion and the ridculously and comically hypocritical "family values" issues are what drives the vote, the mormon isn't black and he isn't muslim.

on a related note, i've mentioned that i have full-on mormon neighbors. the nicest and most benevolent people you will meet. there is nothing in the world anyone could tell them that would cause them to vote for anyone other than romney. of course it's because of the mormon connection. they are so happy to have one of their own who has a shot to win. and no one really calls them out on that.

yet when black peeople will only vote for obama because he's one of them, they are racist and stupid. why is that?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've mentioned before that I live in a mormon cummunity.

I guess the simple answer to that is that Mormons have a very strict code of conduct regarding morality, treatment of others, guide for everyday living.

I will stress that nobody is perfect and some Mormons take things to extremes.

I would guess that your neighbors when they say that are voting for someone who has very similar critiria for what they want in a leader.

quote
ClubDirt send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
ClubDirt
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 19758
Location: United States
#17
Posted: 9/7/2012 4:20:07 PM
bowls, these guys aren't the corporate raider type.  they don't seem to have anything in common with today's republicans.  they seem much more jesus like.  we have this old, black lady who lives by herself who will barely get her mail without help.  everytime she needs something fixed, she calls on the mormon neighbor.  he always helps her.  he was putting up a fence for her last year.  during football season.  the rightwinger next door to her fuckin hates her.  he's a guy i can see voting republican and he does, but not so much the mormon, but romney is a mormon and so are they so that's how they are voting. 

i'm not saying there's anything wrong with that.  a lot of people are voting for romney/rayn because they say they are conservative.  a lot of people are voting for obama because of this.  it's just the way it goes. 
quote
11spread11
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Bally's Las Vegas |
11spread11
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 333
Location: Vatican City
#18
Posted: 9/7/2012 9:46:16 PM
Obama -230.  Rommney+190.   @5dimes who has action????
quote
SirJohnDrake send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
SirJohnDrake
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 12355
Location: United States
#19
Posted: 9/8/2012 3:24:20 PM

Quote Posted by cdirt:

on a related note, i've mentioned that i have full-on mormon neighbors.  the nicest and most benevolent people you will meet.  there is nothing in the world anyone could tell them that would cause them to vote for anyone other than romney.  of course it's because of the mormon connection.  they are so happy to have one of their own who has a shot to win.  and no one really calls them out on that.

yet when black peeople will only vote for obama because he's one of them, they are racist and stupid.  why is that?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Who is saying that? And are you suggesting a majority of a group of people are saying that?

Whoever has those views can be classified as racist bigoted people!

quote
dl36
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetJamaica.com |
dl36
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 23542
Location: United States
#20
Posted: 9/9/2012 3:44:33 AM
I agree 100%.... alot of racists and bigots on this site
quote
RJSmith send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
RJSmith
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 7618
Location: Sweden
#21
Posted: 9/9/2012 6:52:48 AM
I know that the founder of the Mormon church was a fraud but all religions are and the good thing is (if Romney's elected) that the Christian right would play no role.
I was terrified of Palin's bat garbage crazy woodoo version of Christianity, Romney is as religious as Obama....which is not believing at all, they just cannot say that in public in America.
quote
OnlyGod
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: WilliamHill.com |
OnlyGod
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 5842
Location: Alberta
#22
Posted: 9/10/2012 4:24:02 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by SirJohnDrake:

Quote Posted by cdirt:

on a related note, i've mentioned that i have full-on mormon neighbors.  the nicest and most benevolent people you will meet.  there is nothing in the world anyone could tell them that would cause them to vote for anyone other than romney.  of course it's because of the mormon connection.  they are so happy to have one of their own who has a shot to win.  and no one really calls them out on that.

yet when black peeople will only vote for obama because he's one of them, they are racist and stupid.  why is that?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Who is saying that? And are you suggesting a majority of a group of people are saying that?

Whoever has those views can be classified as racist bigoted people!



Just more hippocrite atheists trying to incite hatred of religious people.  Its good to see you keep your cool SJD,
quote
SirJohnDrake send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
SirJohnDrake
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 12355
Location: United States
#23
Posted: 9/10/2012 1:20:36 PM

Quote Posted by OnlyGod:

Just more hippocrite atheists trying to incite hatred of religious people.  Its good to see you keep your cool SJD,
---------------------------------------------------------------

Yes...I know all about those atheiests. You have to keep your cool in this harsh environment!

Take care buddy!

Romney and Ryan in 012!

quote
HutchEmAll send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
HutchEmAll
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 37170
Location: Minnesota
#24
Posted: 9/13/2012 5:00:27 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by ClubDirt:

my guess is, similar to austin, that if religion and the ridculously and comically hypocritical "family values" issues are what drives the vote, the mormon isn't black and he isn't muslim. 

on a related note, i've mentioned that i have full-on mormon neighbors.  the nicest and most benevolent people you will meet.  there is nothing in the world anyone could tell them that would cause them to vote for anyone other than romney.  of course it's because of the mormon connection.  they are so happy to have one of their own who has a shot to win.  and no one really calls them out on that.

yet when black peeople will only vote for obama because he's one of them, they are racist and stupid.  why is that?


1.  Mormons are 2% of the population.  African Americans are 14%.  
2.  The term racism.  Notice how they don't have a term "religionism."  

3.  Most people don't fault someone for voting for a candidate because they believe the same things.  Black people who voted for Obama could have done so for 2 reasons:  1. Because they believe in the same things, and 2. Because of the color of his skin.  

Mormons who vote for Romney can only be accused of voting for someone who thinks or believes what they do.  


quote
ClubDirt send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
ClubDirt
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 19758
Location: United States
#25
Posted: 9/13/2012 5:23:15 PM
hutch, i think there's more to it.  when you are a minority, whether it's race, religion, whatever, i think you feel some sort of legitimacy, acceptance and self-efficacy when one of your own makes it big, regardless of beliefs.  i.e. people think we're weird or different or inferior because we are ___, but now the president is one of us so that shows we are just as good as everyone else.  

quote
Forum Index : Politics : Messages Page 1 of 2  1 2  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.