Messages

Forum Index : General Discussion : Messages Page 2 of 7 «  1 2 3 4 5   »
Author: [General Discussion] Topic: "GUN CONTROL" makes the problem much worse
StraightShooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
StraightShooter
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 23227
Location: United States
#26
Posted: 12/15/2012 10:50:50 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by RobG:

If someone walked into a school and killed 20 children in just about any other country in the world, the majority of citizens would be so God-damned pissed off, they would do anything -- anything -- to prevent it from happening again.

This behind*ole had an assault weapon no one -- no one -- needs.
  
But what's the gun lobby's reaction? More guns! Like they’re still talking about muskets in the 1700s.

If you don't get it after a class of kindergartners is slaughtered, you never will.

The US stands alone on this planet in its gun violence, and the entire world looks at it, thinking, when will they get it?!?

Wow. If this doesn’t change you, nothing ever will.

Your argument in a nutshell:

"We must get rid of guns because a deranged lunatic may go on a shooting spree at any time and anyone who would own a gun out of fear of such a lunatic is paranoid."

quote
StraightShooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
StraightShooter
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 23227
Location: United States
#27
Posted: 12/15/2012 10:54:28 PM

More children are killed by drowning each year than are killed by guns yet I don’t see any highly emotionally groups that are completely devoid of logic screaming for us to ban swimming pools.   

Hmm…

quote
RobG send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: bet365 |
RobG
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 1041
Location: British
              Columbia
#28
Posted: 12/15/2012 10:55:57 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by OnlyGod:



Who are you to tell people what they need ?


Another well-thought out, highly intelligent response from the resident Alberta hick


quote
OnlyGod
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: WilliamHill.com |
OnlyGod
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 5868
Location: Alberta
#29
Posted: 12/15/2012 10:56:12 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by StraightShooter:

Your argument in a nutshell:

"We must get rid of guns because a deranged lunatic may go on a shooting spree at any time and anyone who would own a gun out of fear of such a lunatic is paranoid."



Yeah he killed his mother than killed himself honestly these were not quality human beings.  Like this just happened for no reason overnight learn some friggin psychology.
quote
OnlyGod
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: WilliamHill.com |
OnlyGod
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 5868
Location: Alberta
#30
Posted: 12/15/2012 10:57:06 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by RobG:



Another well-thought out, highly intelligent response from the resident Alberta hick




Yeah another useless BC box stay there and flip burgers hands off our oil.
quote
RobG send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: bet365 |
RobG
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 1041
Location: British
              Columbia
#31
Posted: 12/15/2012 11:07:38 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by StraightShooter:

More children are killed by drowning each year than are killed by guns yet I don’t see any highly emotionally groups that are completely devoid of logic screaming for us to ban swimming pools.   

Hmm…



Gotta say: that is gold, Jerry -- gold!

Pretty sure drownings are called accidents, not cold-blooded massacres of kindergarten children. But a valiant try at your own, down-home, disturbingly peculiar sense of "logic."

You don't read well, do you? 




quote
RobG send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: bet365 |
RobG
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 1041
Location: British
              Columbia
#32
Posted: 12/15/2012 11:09:22 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by OnlyGod:



Yeah another useless BC box stay there and flip burgers hands off our oil.



quote
StraightShooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
StraightShooter
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 23227
Location: United States
#33
Posted: 12/15/2012 11:23:42 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by OnlyGod:



Yeah he killed his mother than killed himself honestly these were not quality human beings.  Like this just happened for no reason overnight learn some friggin psychology.

I can’t tell if your post is directed at my or is just a general comment.

quote
StraightShooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
StraightShooter
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 23227
Location: United States
#34
Posted: 12/15/2012 11:28:57 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by RobG:



Gotta say: that is gold, Jerry -- gold!

Pretty sure drownings are called accidents, not cold-blooded massacres of kindergarten children. But a valiant try at your own, down-home, disturbingly peculiar sense of "logic."

You don't read well, do you? 




Oh, so because a madman didn’t intentionally drown the children, it’s ok that they are dead and it’s not worthy of attention?   

Wise up.

More children drown every year than are killed by guns, yet there’s no highly emotionally groups that are completely devoid of logic screaming for us to ban swimming pools. Do some research and tell me I’m wrong.

quote
StraightShooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
StraightShooter
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 23227
Location: United States
#35
Posted: 12/15/2012 11:30:34 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by StraightShooter:

Your argument in a nutshell:

"We must get rid of guns because a deranged lunatic may go on a shooting spree at any time and anyone who would own a gun out of fear of such a lunatic is paranoid."

quote
thirdperson
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
thirdperson
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1261
Location:
#36
Posted: 12/16/2012 12:28:06 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by StraightShooter:

More children are killed by drowning each year than are killed by guns yet I don’t see any highly emotionally groups that are completely devoid of logic screaming for us to ban swimming pools.   

Hmm…

Cars and swimming pools deserve more leniency than guns.  Cars are designed for travel while pools are for recreation.  When deaths occur, they are mostly accidental.  However guns deserve a higher standard of care because they are designed to kill. 

Gun control at airports, Olympic events and prisons have proven effective in improving security.  But since guns are so widespread, banning them is too costly and impractical.  But governments may instead tax or regulate guns more.

quote
StraightShooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
StraightShooter
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 23227
Location: United States
#37
Posted: 12/16/2012 12:52:23 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by thirdperson:

Cars and swimming pools deserve more leniency than guns.  Cars are designed for travel while pools are for recreation.  When deaths occur, they are mostly accidental.  However guns deserve a higher standard of care because they are designed to kill. 

Gun control at airports, Olympic events and prisons have proven effective in improving security.  But since guns are so widespread, banning them is too costly and impractical.  But governments may instead tax or regulate guns more.

I never said anything about cars.  I’m talking about swimming pools.  Thousands of Americans drown every year, yet I don’t see anyone out campaigning to get swimming pools banned for the sake of the children.

I guess people are less likely to send in contributions to politicians and organizations after hyped up stories about drowning deaths than they are after hyped up stories about shooting deaths.

Also the media has a huge hard on for mass shootings because they are ratings gold.

 

quote
bill702 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: WilliamHill.com |
bill702
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2017
Location: Nevada
#38
Posted: 12/16/2012 12:57:52 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by RobG:

If someone walked into a school and killed 20 children in just about any other country in the world, the majority of citizens would be so God-damned pissed off, they would do anything -- anything -- to prevent it from happening again.

This behind*ole had an assault weapon no one -- no one -- needs.
  
But what's the gun lobby's reaction? More guns! Like they’re still talking about muskets in the 1700s.

If you don't get it after a class of kindergartners is slaughtered, you never will.

The US stands alone on this planet in its gun violence, and the entire world looks at it, thinking, when will they get it?!?

Wow. If this doesn’t change you, nothing ever will.

What happened in Norway again recently? I'm led to believe they have pretty strict gun laws no?

How was this possibly preventable? I really wish a good Canadian can teach me the error of my ways. If his mom didn't have any guns all the kids would be alive still correct? Or is just that it was an assault rifle? A simple handgun wouldn't have killed the kids? Oh, I forgot all the shots were at close range. So it must not have been just because it was an assault rifle.

So how do we stop it from happening again? I mean apparently the rest of the world can figure it out, but we can't for some reason? 

So I'm assuming your ideology leads you to believe if it's illegal this won't happen again? Or is it just because the quantity of guns we have?  

Has there ever been any school shootings in Canada? If so, it never happened again because you guys would do anything to prevent it right while us Americans just grieve for a few weeks and get on with our lives?

Oh, that's right it doesn't just happen in America. It happens worldwide. Maybe it's just that we don't hear about everyone else's school shootings because they don't promote it in the mainstream media here. I mean we have the likes of Kim kardashian to keep up with no need for world affairs? 

I like Canadians they're an entertaining bunch.
quote
MrTuttle05 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
MrTuttle05
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 604
Location:
#39
Posted: 12/16/2012 1:26:58 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/12/14/china-knife-attack-school.html

"No motive was given for the stabbings, which echo a string of similar assaults against schoolchildren in 2010 that killed nearly 20 and wounded more than 50."



Murder can occur numerous ways.  Stabbing isn't going to be as effective as shooting, and shooting isn't going to be as effective as bombing.  Quite simply put, if a deranged human being wants to kill/harm a group of individuals, they are going to do it, no matter the means.  The quote above about an incident in 2010 where 20 were killed due to stabbing shows this.
quote
Skipbone
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Skipbone
Participation Meter
Covers Rehab
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 5317
Location:
#40
Posted: 12/16/2012 7:29:47 AM
What the eff is the difference? He didn't possess the guns legally.
Posted using a mobile device.
quote
SteelCash send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
SteelCash
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4985
Location: Ohio
#41
Posted: 12/16/2012 10:13:52 AM
KansanBlue... Ummm... it's our right to access firearms. Not sure what you meant so maybe you could expand. Maybe I'm missing something. Obviously there are some that SHOULDN'T own guns, but the majority of the people out there are responsible gun owners.
Posted using a mobile device.
quote
jpero send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
jpero
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 9317
Location: United States
#42
Posted: 12/16/2012 10:51:33 AM
Gun control is not hte main issue at hand. Yes there should be stricter gun control in the sense of everyone getting background check, waiting period, proper gun safety courses, etc.

The real problem that no one seems to even be talking about is having the help in place to help people who have mental illnesses. In the state of Connecticut hospital funds have been cut in areas that deal with giving help and proper support to people with mental illnesses. This isnt just a problem in CT either. Federal money has been cut in this area also.

Its also the same with the prison system. More often than not there may not be enough room for people who have committed petty crimes and these peopel have mental illnesses. They release these peopel and put them on probation or house arrest etc rather than spending the money to get these people the proper, professional help they need to cope and become in more control of their mental illnesses.

You have to focus on the root cause not the instruments used.
quote
pjrez send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
pjrez
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3915
Location: Maryland
#43
Posted: 12/16/2012 11:04:36 AM
Haven't been on here much lately so don't know if this has been posted or discussed.  I believe more TRAINED, law abiding citizens with carry permits is a good thing.

Good 1 minute video...

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHeZoceEaz0
quote
OnlyGod
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: WilliamHill.com |
OnlyGod
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 5868
Location: Alberta
#44
Posted: 12/16/2012 7:55:23 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by pjrez:

Haven't been on here much lately so don't know if this has been posted or discussed.  I believe more TRAINED, law abiding citizens with carry permits is a good thing.

Good 1 minute video...

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHeZoceEaz0


Yeah the average gun owner who hunts a couple of times a year or has his grampas old WW1 or 2 rifle kicking around isn't even on the map for this type of thing.  It's almost like the Liberals want this to happen or something.


quote
Allbutbroke send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Allbutbroke
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 4448
Location: Ontario
#45
Posted: 12/16/2012 9:56:11 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by RobG:

If someone walked into a school and killed 20 children in just about any other country in the world, the majority of citizens would be so God-damned pissed off, they would do anything -- anything -- to prevent it from happening again.

This behind*ole had an assault weapon no one -- no one -- needs.
  
But what's the gun lobby's reaction? More guns! Like they’re still talking about muskets in the 1700s.

If you don't get it after a class of kindergartners is slaughtered, you never will.

The US stands alone on this planet in its gun violence, and the entire world looks at it, thinking, when will they get it?!?

Wow. If this doesn’t change you, nothing ever will.


Well said, the stupid f*cks in this thread care more protecting their right to bear firearms than lives of people in their community.  Maybe some twit with mental illness would have more difficulty accessing a gun if there wasn't one on every coffee table in the US.
quote
Allbutbroke send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Allbutbroke
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 4448
Location: Ontario
#46
Posted: 12/16/2012 11:04:27 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by bill702:

What happened in Norway again recently? I'm led to believe they have pretty strict gun laws no?

How was this possibly preventable? I really wish a good Canadian can teach me the error of my ways. If his mom didn't have any guns all the kids would be alive still correct? Or is just that it was an assault rifle? A simple handgun wouldn't have killed the kids? Oh, I forgot all the shots were at close range. So it must not have been just because it was an assault rifle.

So how do we stop it from happening again? I mean apparently the rest of the world can figure it out, but we can't for some reason? 

So I'm assuming your ideology leads you to believe if it's illegal this won't happen again? Or is it just because the quantity of guns we have?  

Has there ever been any school shootings in Canada? If so, it never happened again because you guys would do anything to prevent it right while us Americans just grieve for a few weeks and get on with our lives?

Oh, that's right it doesn't just happen in America. It happens worldwide. Maybe it's just that we don't hear about everyone else's school shootings because they don't promote it in the mainstream media here. I mean we have the likes of Kim kardashian to keep up with no need for world affairs? 

I like Canadians they're an entertaining bunch.

Ah yes, violent opposition from another mediocre mind.
quote
StraightShooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
StraightShooter
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 23227
Location: United States
#47
Posted: 12/16/2012 11:09:18 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Allbutbroke:


Well said, the stupid f*cks in this thread care more protecting their right to bear firearms than lives of people in their community.  Maybe some twit with mental illness would have more difficulty accessing a gun if there wasn't one on every coffee table in the US.

No, I think it’s that some people in this thread would rather live in a society where criminals have guns AND law-abiding citizens have the means to protect themselves over a society where only criminals have guns and law-abiding citizens are at their mercy.

None of you loudmouth anti-2A types are offering up any real solutions.  It’s just a bunch of generic emotional comments and personal insults.

 

quote
Allbutbroke send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Allbutbroke
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 4448
Location: Ontario
#48
Posted: 12/16/2012 11:16:46 PM
Real solutions - gun control - that is the real solution.

The United States has by far the highest per capita rate of all developed countries. According to data compiled by the United Nations, the United States has four times as many gun-related homicides per capita as do Turkey and Switzerland, which are tied for third. The U.S. gun murder rate is about 20 times the average for all other countries on this chart. That means that Americans are 20 times as likely to be killed by a gun than is someone from another developed country.
quote
Allbutbroke send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Allbutbroke
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 4448
Location: Ontario
#49
Posted: 12/16/2012 11:17:45 PM
......quote from above came from the Washington Post.
quote
CoverLane send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
CoverLane
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 6903
Location:
#50
Posted: 12/16/2012 11:17:53 PM
guns dont kill people

people kill people

quote
Forum Index : General Discussion : Messages Page 2 of 7 «  1 2 3 4 5   »
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.