Navy at Central Michigan: 9 things bettors should know
Navy Midshipmen at Central Michigan Chippewas (-2, 60)
7:30 p.m. ET on ESPNU
1. This line opened with Navy as a 3.5-point road favorite and moved to Central Michigan -2 by Thursday afternoon - a significant line move of 5.5 points.
2. Navy will have freshman quarterback Keenan Reynolds start Friday night, the first time a frosh will start at QB for Navy since 1991. Reynolds was unfazed last Saturday when he replaced Trey Miller on the road with the Midshipmen trailing Air Force 21-13 in the fourth quarter. Reynolds led Navy to a touchdown on his first drive and the Middies pulled out a 28-21 win in OT.
“All any of us could say was, ‘Wow.’ I mean that was big-time," Navy Coach Ken Niumatalolo told the Washington Post
3. The 'over' is 3-0-1 in Chippewas games this season. They've allowed 105 points over their past two games and average 40.8 against per game. That's fifth-worst in the nation out of 124 teams.
4. Navy runs an option offense where they run the ball 70 percent of the time. They rank 16th in the nation in rushing with 232.4 yards per game. Central Michigan ranks 117th in the nation at stopping the run with 233.2 yards against per game.
5. CMU coach on Navy's defense: “They’re a 3-4 defense that does different things out of their defense that we don’t see a lot,” Enos told Central Michigan Life
. “So, not only are we playing a football team that is well coached, with guys that play with great effort, you’re also challenged with those different schemes as well.”
6. The Chippewas' 50-35 loss to Toledo as 11.5-point dogs was closer than the score indicates. CMU threw two late interceptions that ended up being too costly to overcome. QB Ryan Radcliffe threw for 337 yards and four TDs.
7. Sixty-one percent of Covers Consensus
players were on CMU as of Thursday afternoon.
8. The under is 3-0-1 for Navy this season. Before last game against Air Force, they scored just 17 points in three games against FBS opponents. Their 12-0 loss to San Jose State on Sept. 29 marked the first time the team had failed to score in six years.
9. Should be a beautiful night for football on Friday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. Temperatures will be in the mid-50s with clear skies and low winds.