Our new forums will be launched soon. Check it out for yourself.

*** NCAA Football Week 8 ***

Forum: College Football Page 3 of 18 «  1 2 3 4 5   »
Author: [College Football] Topic: *** NCAA Football Week 8 ***
Boom_Boom PM Boom_Boom
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 17196
 
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 10/14/2012 2:49:32 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Arid_Torpor:


Would scoring make Mississippi State more likely to win? Yes. 

Would scoring make Clemson more likely to win? No. 

QED
Arid you are totally missing it.

Miss st is up 3 with less then 20 seconds left on the 10 yd line. Tenn has NO timeouts. If you take any chance at dropping back and throwing your really really really really playing with fire. Thats why its a bad choice. The reasonable thing to do is kill as much clock as possible. not by taking the snap and throwing real quick like they did. they snapped the ball and threw it as if it were a timing route






naesiy PM naesiy
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 1973
 
naesiy
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 10/14/2012 2:59:03 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by Boom_Boom:

you just answered your own question. You cant move the ball right???? Right???? its 4th and 12... your down 2 scores with a chance at a CHIP shot FG. YES..... you take the points.

WHY??? Becuase if you dont convert a VERY VERY low percentage conversion the game is over.... BUT, if take the chip shot FG... You still have a chance. WHY? There is 2 minutes left and you have 2 timeouts.

Again..... this is why I called you a idiot.

WHY???


Because your a friggin idiot

First off, *you're..

Second, I guess the thought process of looking at the overall picture escapes you.  4th down is a low percentage.  FG is guaranteed points and still gives you a chance.  But you are only delaying the inevitable.  I like how you didn't answer my question.  Here, let me make it simpler for you.  What do you think has a higher percentage of success, converting a 4th and 12 or completing a hail mary for a TD?  Do you think you have a better chance of a PI flag on 4th and 12 or on a hail mary?  Would a Defensive offsides help you more on 4th and 12 or when you are lining up for a 40 yard Hail mary?  If you had to make a wager, would you take either SC to get 12 yards on a single play, either by gaining it or by penalty...or betting that SC could move the ball 55 yards in under 2 minutes when LSU has held them to 200 yards the last 58 minutes...or complete a hail mary, probably without the benefit of any flags gonna be thrown. 

Please enlighten me.

Arid_Torpor PM Arid_Torpor
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2590
 
Arid_Torpor
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 10/14/2012 3:00:55 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Boom_Boom:

 
Miss st is up 3 with less then 20 seconds left on the 10 yd line. Tenn has NO timeouts. If you take any chance at dropping back and throwing your really really really really playing with fire. Thats why its a bad choice. The reasonable thing to do is kill as much clock as possible. not by taking the snap and throwing real quick like they did. they snapped the ball and threw it as if it were a timing route


No, I totally agree with that, I said that earlier. It was a bad beat for you, and this is exactly the reason. 

But even if it was a bad decision, there was something possible to gain from it, so there was a football reason, even if it was a bad reason. 

In the Clemson game, there was no advantage that could be gained other than the cover. 

They were both bad beats. 
naesiy PM naesiy
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 1973
 
naesiy
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 10/14/2012 3:03:32 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Arid_Torpor:


No, I totally agree with that, I said that earlier. It was a bad beat for you, and this is exactly the reason. 

But even if it was a bad decision, there was something possible to gain from it, so there was a football reason, even if it was a bad reason. 

In the Clemson game, there was no advantage that could be gained other than the cover. 

They were both bad beats. 

I agree with this message. 

Boom_Boom PM Boom_Boom
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 17196
 
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 10/14/2012 3:04:43 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by naesiy:

First off, *you're..

Second, I guess the thought process of looking at the overall picture escapes you.  4th down is a low percentage.  FG is guaranteed points and still gives you a chance.  But you are only delaying the inevitable.  I like how you didn't answer my question.  Here, let me make it simpler for you.  What do you think has a higher percentage of success, converting a 4th and 12 or completing a hail mary for a TD?  Do you think you have a better chance of a PI flag on 4th and 12 or on a hail mary?  Would a Defensive offsides help you more on 4th and 12 or when you are lining up for a 40 yard Hail mary?  If you had to make a wager, would you take either SC to get 12 yards on a single play, either by gaining it or by penalty...or betting that SC could move the ball 55 yards in under 2 minutes when LSU has held them to 200 yards the last 58 minutes...or complete a hail mary, probably without the benefit of any flags gonna be thrown. 

Please enlighten me.

again.. .your a little slow so I will slow this thing down and hold your hand like a little child.

If USC takes the 3 there they have 2 timeouts and there is 2 minutes left. kick the ball play good defense and try and get the ball back around a minute to go. 1 minute in college football is an eternity. clock stops on first downs etc, etc....

Why would ever try and go for it on 4th and very long in a situation like that is beyond me.

Does that make enough sense for you now? Did I slow it down enough for you to understand?
Boom_Boom PM Boom_Boom
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 17196
 
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 10/14/2012 3:08:29 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Arid_Torpor:


No, I totally agree with that, I said that earlier. It was a bad beat for you, and this is exactly the reason. 

But even if it was a bad decision, there was something possible to gain from it, so there was a football reason, even if it was a bad reason. 

In the Clemson game, there was no advantage that could be gained other than the cover. 

They were both bad beats. 
no arid... absolutely not. More is lost then gained in that situation. Understand what im saying? The risk doesnt equal the reward. Your up one score.... 3 points. if you snap the ball over QB or he drops it or it gets picked or anything.

Whereas Clemson was up 2 scores. the RISK was much less....SEE the risk at that point is much more. If you make a huge mistake there it could cost you the game. Whereas if Clemson fumbled it, they still had the lead because they were up 2 scores
Boom_Boom PM Boom_Boom
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 17196
 
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 10/14/2012 3:10:47 PM
Arid.... Miss St snapped the ball and ran what was essentially a timing pattern. They had no intentions on killing the clock. they were trying to score 
naesiy PM naesiy
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 1973
 
naesiy
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 10/14/2012 3:21:24 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by Boom_Boom:

again.. .your a little slow so I will slow this thing down and hold your hand like a little child.

If USC takes the 3 there they have 2 timeouts and there is 2 minutes left. kick the ball play good defense and try and get the ball back around a minute to go. 1 minute in college football is an eternity. clock stops on first downs etc, etc....

Why would ever try and go for it on 4th and very long in a situation like that is beyond me.

Does that make enough sense for you now? Did I slow it down enough for you to understand?

And you still avoid the questions.  Good show man.  Carry on.

Fun little chart here detailing SCs possessions:

15:0005:3200:0410:5404:5911:1306:5204:0310:1706:3705:0300:35
1 01:41 SCAR 25 3 9 Punt
1 03:54 SCAR 12 6 15 Punt
1 00:10 SCAR 1 2 1 Passing Touchdown
2 01:51 SCAR 23 3 9 Punt
2 04:13 SCAR 28 12 35 Punt
3 02:21 SCAR 25 5 16 Punt
3 01:41 LSU 50 5 54 Rushing Touchdown
3 00:49 SCAR 42 3 1 Punt
4 01:04 SCAR 25 3 4 Interception
4 01:22 SCAR 19 3 -12 Punt
4 03:22 SCAR 23 11 77 Passing Touchdown
4 00:35 SCAR 20 4 12 Interception

Hey look at that, only ONE drive the whole game, was SC able to move the ball over 55 yards.  They did have that one drive at 54 yards though.  They definately had a high probability of moving 55 yards with a minute left to score a TD to end the game.  Right.

Let's see, I need one 12 yard play and then 5 more yards for a TD.  Then, depending on if I onsides or not, I need to maybe gain 25-45 yards for a FG....

or...

I kick the FG, then, depending on how I play it, have to gain 55-75 yards for a TD.... 

I'm an idiot, but I think the first situation seems like it has a higher probability, even if a 4th down play, singularly, has the lowest probability.

Play to win..not play to delay the loss.

Boom_Boom PM Boom_Boom
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 17196
 
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 10/14/2012 3:24:03 PM
your wrong and you just cant accept it

Line up 500 coaches and give them that scenario... 495 of them kick the damn FG. the other 5 coaches would be in the class you are....a idiot
TRAIN69 PM TRAIN69
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 44164
 
TRAIN69
Participation Meter
Legend
Posted: 10/14/2012 3:53:10 PM
Jesus. Will you idiots stop. For people sake. Its 4th and long and youre down 9. Youve scored 14 points in 58 minutes so obviously your offense isnt running on all cylinders. Not to mention your qb is a sack of garbage.......You take the 3 and try the onside kick. You have to recover it no matter what, but instead of 4th and long you get a 1st down to go 50/55 yards.....Its really not that hard to figure out.

Makes me miss fadeboomfade

Not sure who you envision Bama losing to, but they better have a horseshoe up their behind on that day. This defense is sick and the oline/rbs are beasts.....

BOOM
Arid_Torpor PM Arid_Torpor
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2590
 
Arid_Torpor
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 10/14/2012 4:39:56 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Boom_Boom:

no arid... absolutely not. More is lost then gained in that situation. Understand what im saying? The risk doesnt equal the reward. Your up one score.... 3 points. if you snap the ball over QB or he drops it or it gets picked or anything.

Boom, you keep talking about reading comprehension, so use a little. 

I AGREE WITH YOU ON RISK/REWARD ANALYSIS. I've said this three times. 

My point is whether or not there is something to be gained, independent of the risk. That is, if you succeed, does it give you a better chance of winning? In the Clemson case, the answer is no. In the Mississippi State case, the answer is yes. 

That's an entirely different question than "what happens if you fail." That's the one that you're harping on, and that's the place where we agree. 
Arid_Torpor PM Arid_Torpor
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2590
 
Arid_Torpor
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 10/14/2012 4:40:26 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Boom_Boom:

your wrong and you just cant accept it

Line up 500 coaches and give them that scenario... 495 of them kick the damn FG. the other 5 coaches would be in the class you are....a idiot

So Steve Spurrier and Paul Chryst are two idiots. Who are the other three? 
jwheels86 PM jwheels86
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 13569
 
jwheels86
Participation Meter
All-Star
Posted: 10/14/2012 4:47:41 PM
Nothing about Florida this week Boom?

I was at the game last night btw, had a nice time. Good crowd in Nashville as they had their first sellout in 4 years.. Vandy was the best coached team we faced all year, no question.
Cover34 PM Cover34
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 4254
 
Cover34
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 10/14/2012 4:57:17 PM

7. What the hell is going on in Columbus? You mean you need to score points these days to win football games? I think Ohio st has already scored more points in 7 games under Urban then they did in all the years under sweater vest. Only problem is this is the worst defensive team I have ever seen at Ohio st. Not really sure what the problem is, but it better get solved quick. Urban will not stand for this too long! Ohio st has walked into " today's" college football. Take a note Big Ten! When Ohio st gets off probation. There going to start owning this conference again like they use too 

austintx11 PM austintx11
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1728
 
austintx11
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 10/14/2012 5:29:45 PM
Guys don't you know not to argue with boom. In his mind he is always right. 

Remember you're arguing with the guy who picked Wisconsin to win the title 
avenue PM avenue
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 6676
 
avenue
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 10/14/2012 5:51:06 PM
Be careful with those type of comments please.
avenue PM avenue
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 6676
 
avenue
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 10/14/2012 5:54:35 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by avenue:

Be careful with those type of comments please.
Referring to certain coaches about to be gone.
Boom_Boom PM Boom_Boom
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 17196
 
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 10/14/2012 5:56:34 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Arid_Torpor:


So Steve Spurrier and Paul Chryst are two idiots. Who are the other three? 
Dooley is one of them
Boom_Boom PM Boom_Boom
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 17196
 
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 10/14/2012 5:57:30 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by jwheels86:

Nothing about Florida this week Boom?

I was at the game last night btw, had a nice time. Good crowd in Nashville as they had their first sellout in 4 years.. Vandy was the best coached team we faced all year, no question.
not really... it was a boring game as expected. Vandy played as hard as they could.... but in the end, Too much Florida
Boom_Boom PM Boom_Boom
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 17196
 
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 10/14/2012 5:59:39 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by austintx11:

Guys don't you know not to argue with boom. In his mind he is always right. 

Remember you're arguing with the guy who picked Wisconsin to win the title 
Yeah Wisconsin is having a bad year..... Funny you pop in to take a shot at me picking them. I have been around this thing along time kid and I do know what im talking about......

as for you arguing with me??? Not a chance. You cant make a good argument let alone argue with me. 
Boom_Boom PM Boom_Boom
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 17196
 
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 10/14/2012 6:04:23 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Arid_Torpor:


Boom, you keep talking about reading comprehension, so use a little. 

I AGREE WITH YOU ON RISK/REWARD ANALYSIS. I've said this three times. 

My point is whether or not there is something to be gained, independent of the risk. That is, if you succeed, does it give you a better chance of winning? In the Clemson case, the answer is no. In the Mississippi State case, the answer is yes. 

That's an entirely different question than "what happens if you fail." That's the one that you're harping on, and that's the place where we agree. 
this is where we are disagreeing Arid.  Under no circumstances is the risk the same. Miss st had no business even trying that garbage because of the risk vs reward. NONE.... It's not even debatable. If they darn up right there.... they could lose the game. You keep arguing that the play helped there outcome. HOW??? There is 15 seconds left before you snap the ball...what was Tenn going to do once they got it back at 5 seconds or so???? 90 yd miracle???? Insane

We can debate this until the cows come home... ( southern slang for all you yankees ) Miss st made a bad FOOTBALL PLAY and nothing could justify it
redbook1 PM redbook1
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1033
 
redbook1
Participation Meter
Covers Rehab
Posted: 10/14/2012 6:04:28 PM
all i learned yesterday is that neither so car nor lsu has any chance whatsoever against alabama.
Boom_Boom PM Boom_Boom
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 17196
 
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 10/14/2012 6:06:56 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by redbook1:

all i learned yesterday is that neither so car nor lsu has any chance whatsoever against alabama.
on the surface I agree with you.. but anything can happen on a neutral field
redbook1 PM redbook1
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1033
 
redbook1
Participation Meter
Covers Rehab
Posted: 10/14/2012 6:22:06 PM
only if that neutral field is on the moon or a similar minimal gravity surface.
bipolarroller PM bipolarroller
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 423
 
bipolarroller
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 10/14/2012 6:26:02 PM
I like to see ya vent Boom....I saw everything your way....I also took 3 preparatrion H shots up the behind with LSU, VANDY and TENN....3 MOOSES!....With some people, you will never be right or near "right!"....You are far too intelligent with your reasoning to lower yourself and field needless questions....By the way, I witnessed a great "tank job" today again by the Eagles, as some of them are makking more money on the side than playing.....Keep up the good work!
Forum: College Football Page 3 of 18 «  1 2 3 4 5   »
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.
Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View