Required Reading....

First << 1 of 2 >> Last
Views: 6766
Posts: 27
 
Legend
Participation Meter
Joined: Nov, 2001
Posts: 53571
#1 Report User
Posted:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/12/19/18148153/nfl-analytics-revolution

 

an_cheers

 
Legend
Participation Meter
Joined: Nov, 2001
Posts: 53571
#2 Report User
Posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/4thdownbot/index.html

 
Veteran
Participation Meter
Joined: Aug, 2015
Posts: 1638
#3 Report User
Posted:

Just read the first article. It was fascinating. I'm making notes on how to apply the info to handicapping.
 
Covers Rehab
Participation Meter
Joined: Jan, 2013
Posts: 8077
#4 Report User
Posted:

peace_5an_light

 
Legend
Participation Meter
Joined: Nov, 2001
Posts: 53571
#5 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorSuccess:

Just read the first article. It was fascinating. I'm making notes on how to apply the info to handicapping.

 
Prospect
Participation Meter
Joined: Nov, 2012
Posts: 286
#6 Report User
Posted:

  Thanks!
 
Legend
Participation Meter
Joined: Jul, 2004
Posts: 114221
#7 Report User
Posted:

Great read Vanzackpeace_5

 
Banned
Participation Meter
Joined: Sep, 2015
Posts: 12504
#8 Report User
Posted:

Great read amigo. I can tell you coaches, even at the high school level, are using next gen analytics more and more nowadays to get the edge. I can tell you it goes into our prep during the week.....With the resources our schools have at their disposal, I see this as an infectious mainstay at all levels in sports and to come across schools and coaches who don’t use analytics is very rare. Obviously at the pro levels there are many more angles associated with capping games but to say analytics aren’t a big factor.....those days are gone. Again, good stuff in that article. 
 
Hall of Fame
Participation Meter
Joined: Mar, 2010
Posts: 26524
#9 Report User
Posted:

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing

 
Veteran
Participation Meter
Joined: Oct, 2002
Posts: 1333
#10 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/12/19/18148153/nfl-analytics-revolution

 

Thanks for posting, Van.  I use data analytics in Aerospace field all the time, and it is powerful stuff, man.  I am amazed at how some very innocuous, benign behavior (to most anyone) can be identified and turned into a predictive model, or other method of changing the way things are done.  

 
Hall of Fame
Participation Meter
Joined: Jan, 2010
Posts: 21429
#11 Report User
Posted:

The fact that the Jaguars and Browns were among the fore runners of using analytics in their personnel process already makes me skeptical. 

 
Covers Rehab
Participation Meter
Joined: Nov, 2017
Posts: 632
#12 Report User
Posted:

This is a good snippet from first article:

Hornsby, like Sharp, said teams are finally figuring out the value of never giving the ball up. In baseball, analytics staffs had to work to convince managers that you shouldn’t give up outs via sacrifice bunts, since there are only 27 outs for each team in a game. In the NFL, this logic applies to punting. Teams this season average between 10 and 13 drives per game, and 11 teams have fourth-down conversion rates of at least 60 percent. Of the six teams with conversion rates of at least 70 percent, five are locks for the playoffs. The Chiefs have converted 90.9 percent of their fourth downs. The lesson: Do everything you can to keep the ball.

 
Captain
Participation Meter
Joined: Jan, 2010
Posts: 6945
#13 Report User
Posted:

 
Banned
Participation Meter
Joined: Sep, 2015
Posts: 12504
#14 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by Goat_12:

This is a good snippet from first article:

Hornsby, like Sharp, said teams are finally figuring out the value of never giving the ball up. In baseball, analytics staffs had to work to convince managers that you shouldn’t give up outs via sacrifice bunts, since there are only 27 outs for each team in a game. In the NFL, this logic applies to punting. Teams this season average between 10 and 13 drives per game, and 11 teams have fourth-down conversion rates of at least 60 percent. Of the six teams with conversion rates of at least 70 percent, five are locks for the playoffs. The Chiefs have converted 90.9 percent of their fourth downs. The lesson: Do everything you can to keep the ball.


What was the interest rate of the loan you took out after last weeks and this year’s debacle of capping?! Glad to see you are still afloat.L though. You had us all worried.....rough week last week being down -22 units, losing every play and also missing out on your “over 11” patriots win total. Did you get my check in the mail that covers your new hat? Let me know Chief. I’m sure you will make your rounds this weekend. You always do even though I’d recommend you worrying about getting A WIN and getting to double digit wins for the year. Good to have you back. 
 
Rookie
Participation Meter
Joined: Sep, 2012
Posts: 787
#15 Report User
Posted:

Good article, except for the part slobbering over Warren Sharp, who is a known fraud tout. 
 
Rookie
Participation Meter
Joined: Sep, 2007
Posts: 599
#16 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod11:

Good article, except for the part slobbering over Warren Sharp, who is a known fraud tout. 

HotRod - why is Sharp a fraud tout?  (Legit question).  Though he had high transparency - thought I just started following this year and I do see some "shady" stuff.

Curious to hear your opinion/thoughts.  Thanks!
 
Rookie
Participation Meter
Joined: Sep, 2012
Posts: 787
#17 Report User
Posted:

Usual tactics with having multiple different “types” of plays so there’s always a couple that are doing well that are easy to advertise, fake records, deleted plays. 

And selling mediocre picks. 
 
Rookie
Participation Meter
Joined: Sep, 2007
Posts: 599
#18 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod11:

Usual tactics with having multiple different “types” of plays so there’s always a couple that are doing well that are easy to advertise, fake records, deleted plays. 

And selling mediocre picks. 

OK thanks.  much appreciated.   
 
Veteran
Participation Meter
Joined: Aug, 2015
Posts: 1638
#19 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by Getty3:

The fact that the Jaguars and Browns were among the fore runners of using analytics in their personnel process already makes me skeptical. 


Actually, the way the Browns are playing, it looks like their use of analytics paid off big time. They hit home runs with Baker Mayfield, Myles Garrett, Denzel Ward and others. What they failed to do was apply analytics to their coaching hires.

And the Jags have hit home runs with their defensive drafts. They only failed in one position: quarterback.
 
Veteran
Participation Meter
Joined: Jan, 2017
Posts: 4490
#20 Report User
Posted:

Right on....!!!! Excellent material!
 
Legend
Participation Meter
Joined: Sep, 2001
Posts: 41890
#21 Report User
Posted:

 
Veteran
Participation Meter
Joined: Jan, 2017
Posts: 4490
#22 Report User
Posted:

Vanzack......After reviewing these to articles you sent....I went even more in depth......!!!!! Thank you brother......Next year will be more of a treat...!!!! and even more profitable....
 
Rookie
Participation Meter
Joined: Jan, 2008
Posts: 601
#23 Report User
Posted:

Great Read Van 
 
Veteran
Participation Meter
Joined: Mar, 2011
Posts: 1160
#24 Report User
Posted:

peace Thanks Van! Merry Christmas. You are commended for trying to help!

 
Veteran
Participation Meter
Joined: Dec, 2015
Posts: 1577
#25 Report User
Posted:

Can anyone tell me how to open that link off a phone? 
First << 1 of 2 >> Last
Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View