FIBA Women's World Cup

Views: 510

MVP
Participation Meter
#1 Report User
Posted:

Hi all,

Wasn't sure where to post this topic, will be posting this under the "other pro basketball" section as well to see who is actually following this World Cup. Not sure too many people visit the WNBA forum when the season is over. 

So this is going to be a quick WC, starts 22 September, finishes 30th. Very quick and very strange. Its being played in the Canary Islands. WK is actually going there to watch it. Enjoy the live action. 

So the way this works is, we have 16 teams divided into 4 groups. Top 2 teams from each group goes to the next stage. 

Group A: Korea, Greece, Canada & France.
Group B: Australia, Turkey, Argentina & Nigeria
Group C: Japan, Puerto Rico , Belgium & Spain
Group D: USA, Latvia, Senegal & China.

USA obvious clear favs, their opening line vs Nigeria is -53.5 last time I checked. 

MVP
Participation Meter
#2 Report User
Posted:

GROUP A Teams

Korea: Don't know many players from this country. Ji Su Park is a decent centre and the Korean's should do ok against Greece but will struggle vs Canada and France.

Greece: Another country I don't know many players, can't see them doing very well in this group against tough Canada and France.

Canada: Decent team, should finish 2nd if not 1st. They have Kia Nurse (Liberty), Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe (let go by Liberty), Nirra Fields (plays in Germany), Natalia Anchonwa (Fever), Jamie Scott (plays in Oz) and Ruth Hamblin (many teams in the WNBA). So its not a bad roster at all from the Canadians and think they can do some damage early on.

France: Olivia Epoupa - very energetic, the Westbrook of France. Needs to slow down sometimes, Endene Miyem (Lynx), Sandrine Gruda (Sparks), Valeriana Ayayi (Aces). This team is quite young, majority of players born after 1993. 

MVP
Participation Meter
#3 Report User
Posted:

GROUP B Teams

Australia: Good team on paper. Cambage is up for this WC. There has been a lot of praise on Ezi Magbegor and what she can do. Sami Whitcomb from Storm in the team. Plenty of WNBA experience from Jenna O'Hea, Steph Talbot (Mercury), Bec Allen (Liberty), Cayla George (Wings) and other players that play in the Aussie League. Would be surprised if Australia don't make the semi-finals at least.

Turkey: I don't know much about this team but a lot of their players play in the Turkish league which is one of the stronger Women's league in the world. Hollingsworth is actually on this tea for those who know her.

Argentina: One of the lowest ranked teams in this WC. I don't know much about this roster at all.

Nigeria: Evelyn Akhator from the Wings is in this team along with Adaoru Elonu who has played some European basketball. I don't see them doing too much in this WC.

MVP
Participation Meter
#4 Report User
Posted:

Group C Teams

Japan: Big news is that Tokashiki is out of the WC so they will struggle down low without her. Fujioka is the only other player I know and she may have to get this offense moving along if they are a chance to qualify for next stage.

Puerto Rico: Jazmon Gwathmey & Jennifer O'Neill are the only two players I recognise in this roster. Either way, can't see the getting past the group stage.

Belgium: Ok, so Meesseman missed the WNBA season to have a rest and to help her country qualify for this WC. She has done that. Now its her time to shine in a group which they should battle it out with Spain for top spot. They also have Ann Wauters, Mestagh sisters and a few other players that are a real threat and fun to watch. They do play defense as well which is good. They 

Spain: Team is stacked. Alba Torrens (best guard in Europe), Marta Xargay (never really thought she was a good player), Anna Cruz and Astou Ndour. Plenty of experience in this team who have played in big occasions. They definitely should finish in the top 4 overall.

MVP
Participation Meter
#5 Report User
Posted:

Group D Teams

Latvia: Not too sure about the Latvians, average height is 6'0 and average age is 27 so thats decent with youth and experience. They should actually finish 2nd in this group IMHO.

USA: Big favs to win, they have gone with Loyd, Plum, Bird, Clarendon, Tuck, A'ja Wilson, Stewart, EDD, Taurasi, Nneka, Charles & Griner. This is an unstoppable team, unfortunately you will get ridiculous lines and always have the chance of a backdoor cover when the lines will be -40 or higher against weak teams. 

China: Another roster I don't know much about, they all seem to play in their domestic league which may help with team cohesion but they should struggle getting out of this group. Will be out of them or Latvia for 2nd spot. 

MVP
Participation Meter
#6 Report User
Posted:

Country FIBA World Rankings

1. USA
2. Spain
3. France
4. Australia 
5. Canada
7. Turkey
10. China 
13. Japan
15. Argentina
16. Korea
17. Senegal
20. Greece
22. Puerto Rico
26. Latvia
28. Belgium
34. Nigeria

Very surprised to see Belgium so low on the FIBA rankings. They will be my darkhorse when I bet them this WC. I think they have a good team and we should get some high lines based on their ranking. Also, the Japanese PG has stated that she really wants a quick tempo and she wants to bring pace to this team, could be a good opportunity to take some overs if we get some low 120-130 totals. 

Starts tomorrow night, enjoy for those who are watching and betting. We are going to get a mixed up lines/totals because some books will just post lines that aren't the same as other books so shop around if you are planning to bet this WC. 

GL all 

Prospect
Participation Meter
#7 Report User
Posted:

I will be there from Tuesday on. It is a tournament to bet on live. I agree that Belgium can go far, but I wouldnt call it a surprise any longer.

MVP
Participation Meter
#8 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by TheWK:

I will be there from Tuesday on. It is a tournament to bet on live. I agree that Belgium can go far, but I wouldnt call it a surprise any longer.

Good to hear from you WK and enjoy the tournament. Wherabouts are you traveling from to get there? It would take me around 30 hours to get their via 3 flights from Oz. 

MVP
Participation Meter
#9 Report User
Posted:

Australia vs Nigeria: Over 144.5

Cannot see anyone stopping Cambage. If she plays big mins, she should score 30+ in this game. Australia also has plenty of good 3 point shooters in their team as well with Ebzery leading the way. Australia played quick ball at the Olympics 2 years ago and Brondello is the coach of the Phoenix Mercury in the WNBA who don't play much defense so I cant see the Aussies locking down on D tonight. Think we see a open, high scoring game with the Aussies scoring the majority of points.

MVP
Participation Meter
#10 Report User
Posted:

Nice win last night, Aussies were poor but the Nigerian's did enough scoring to help with the over as well.

On to tonight's games. I have a tendency to play the early games because after the first 4 games of the night, the other games start at 2am Sydney time which is hard to obviously watch and see how the teams perform.

MVP
Participation Meter
#11 Report User
Posted:

Ok, so there was some ugly basketball yesterday.

Belgium were up 48-6 at half time vs Puerto Rico which is just insane given that this is a World Cup.

Canada easily beat the Greeks.

USA cruised to victory vs Senegal.

Spain too good for Japan.

Tonight looks like another long night for some countries. One line sticks out to me and that's purely because I don't think they deserve such a long line. Yes they destroyed the Greeks last night and the Koreans gave up after 1Q vs the French but I don't think the Canadians deserve a massive chalk line. Expect much better from the Koreans in this game.

Canada vs South Korea: Korea +24.5

MVP
Participation Meter
#12 Report User
Posted:

Nice cover by the Koreans, their 3 point shooting kept them within the spread.

Senegal vs Latvia: Over 136.5

The Senegalese had a total of around 157.5 last night vs USA and that would have been mostly because of the Americans scoring points which they did but the total didn't quite get there but the pace was, Senegal took around 67 shots. The Latvians showed they can play at a fast pace, racking up 75 shots but only scoring 61? Now that's an anomaly if you ask me. I think we see a high scoring game with the Senegalese causing some issues and keeping this game rather close.

MVP
Participation Meter
#13 Report User
Posted:

Well there is nothing at all happening in this forum, so if anyone actually reads this I am talking about this WC in the other forum called "other pro basketball" here on covers.
Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View