View Our New Forum Updates. You can always switch back to what you're used to.
View Our New Forum Updates.
You can always switch back to what you're used to.

Why do people post picks without analysis?

Participants:
< Page of 3 > >>
Views: 2565
< Page of 3 > >>

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #1

Then they post YTD records without any evidence of having achieved same.  What's up with that?  Asking for a friend.

Quote Post Report User

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #2

Because they'd feel pretty silly saying that the coin landed on Heads. 

All-Star
Participation Meter
Posted: #3

How many times can you type “Nostradamus and Wahoos picked them?” 

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #4

new_crazy

Hall of Fame
Participation Meter
Posted: #5

a better question is why post an analysis at all ?

are we in a contest with each other?

are we trying to convince others to bet what we bet?

the all time best cappers on this website over the years NEVER posted writeups , almost none of them 

to each their own though 

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #6

Quote Originally Posted by WahooS:

a better question is why post an analysis at all ?

are we in a contest with each other?

are we trying to convince others to bet what we bet?

the all time best cappers on this website over the years NEVER posted writeups , almost none of them 

to each their own though 

AGREE.

The best cappers here are too damn busy to give a reason why for every pick. We are lucky they take the time to post at all. 
And most are posting their picks, period. Not looking for followers, just sharing their wagers.
Works for me.

Hall of Fame
Participation Meter
Posted: #7

Quote Originally Posted by UNIMAN:

AGREE.

The best cappers here are too damn busy to give a reason why for every pick. We are lucky they take the time to post at all. 
And most are posting their picks, period. Not looking for followers, just sharing their wagers.
Works for me.

Another reason is you draw more trolls, go read Scal’s Rutgers KU pick , because he had writeup people expected more, it’s just bizarre

Everyone wins, everyone loses, writeups don’t change that 

Banned
Participation Meter
Posted: #8

Quote Originally Posted by Chupamel:

Because they'd feel pretty silly saying that the coin landed on Heads. 

Banned
Participation Meter
Posted: #9

Another reason is you draw more trolls, go read Scal’s Rutgers KU pick , because he had writeup people expected more, it’s just bizarre

Everyone wins, everyone loses, writeups don’t change that 

Well the reality is, if you don't have a write-up, I want nothing to do with the pick. Because you've presented nothing but a side. Now I understand people don't have time to write-up a play but they do chime in and that counts as content to me, like TD's threads. But that's just personal preference. 

For everyone that expected more on the Kansas RU play, they got more the two weeks before on the OSU and and Texas State. And the Missouri lookahead. They should expect more because the write proved the play is inspected aggressively. Win or lose. For those who just post picks, like Vankiep, I have absolutely no idea if he woke up and just felt like playing a side and posted it. 

Therefore, it's irrelevant. If you put the time to provide a writeup you ARE giving more. And should expect more. And of course, plays lose. Even ones with huge write-ups. They always will. If they didn't I would do this for a living.

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #10

Quote Originally Posted by iamhuge:

Then they post YTD records without any evidence of having achieved same.  What's up with that?  Asking for a friend.

bogs my mind too. some cappers post their plays without rhyme or reason and they get like 20+ BOL responses. i'd like to hear reason to see if it jives.

Captain
Participation Meter
Posted: #11

an_violin Every game isn’t play out the way you think 

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #12

The main reason is all writeups involve :stats,angles,trends,motivation,location, injuries, weather etc.....

Its the same stuff for EVERY game, the names and numbers just change. ANYONE can get that info....Very few can analyze it and pick winners. Im gonna let you in on a secret....the people that MAKE the lines know more than you do....its their job. Thats why you read about traps and fishy lines.....thats just people who dont know what they are talkimg about rationalize the line. They works literally been done for you. ALL factors have already been used to determine the line.

So, a writeup isnt a bad thing, its just unnecessary. The writings literally on your bookies wall......

Captain
Participation Meter
Posted: #13

Guys that REALLY know what they're doing......the analysis is 'built in'....to the number anyway...that process makes you so tired by betting time.....last thing you wanna do is a write-up
  * plus these same guys (often) bet the earliest number ...which is LONG gone by the time most guys are ready to bet....> write-up on a stale number ??

BUT.....ONE simple sentence on each pick wouldn't kill anybody
  * and if you can't say why you like a bet / you shouldn't bet it.....a hunch? > say it's a hunch

PROBLEM?...I would guess most guys cards are all hunches......
  * is that COVERS is (not really)......a wagering forum.....it's a SUPPORT GROUP..........think about it   > examine the threads / posts

" guys here's my bets....do you like 'em?".........then 98% of the time it's simple praise or criticism....."you da' man" ! ....OR ....you're an IDIOT!"

An actual serious wagering forum?......

MAJORITY of the members would actually put in some work....
   $$ a handful of guys doing the work?.....everybody else praising / ripping them each week ?..............
  * here guys are more concerned with their week to week record....than anything else > really silly.....a goat (coin flip) can get red hot for 3-4 weeks+

"I like these teams at THIS NUMBER".......and  WHY....AND WHEN can you expect to get it
  >  THEN if we're here to LEARN / MAKE MORE MONEY > improve.....we would be open to advice too...

"Man I don't know.....bad spot for team A because.......then an open debate for BOTH SIDES.........idea would be to learn > not win the argument.............

Captain
Participation Meter
Posted: #14

Those who have long write ups, i usually don't read, i look for who they picked. I look up trends and stats for games im really interested in. 

Hall of Fame
Participation Meter
Posted: #15

Quote Originally Posted by TRAIN69:

The main reason is all writeups involve :stats,angles,trends,motivation,location, injuries, weather etc.....

Its the same stuff for EVERY game, the names and numbers just change. ANYONE can get that info....Very few can analyze it and pick winners. Im gonna let you in on a secret....the people that MAKE the lines know more than you do....its their job. Thats why you read about traps and fishy lines.....thats just people who dont know what they are talkimg about rationalize the line. They works literally been done for you. ALL factors have already been used to determine the line.

So, a writeup isnt a bad thing, its just unnecessary. The writings literally on your bookies wall......

Hall of Fame
Participation Meter
Posted: #16

Quote Originally Posted by bookieassassin:

Guys that REALLY know what they're doing......the analysis is 'built in'....to the number anyway...that process makes you so tired by betting time.....last thing you wanna do is a write-up
  * plus these same guys (often) bet the earliest number ...which is LONG gone by the time most guys are ready to bet....> write-up on a stale number ??

BUT.....ONE simple sentence on each pick wouldn't kill anybody
  * and if you can't say why you like a bet / you shouldn't bet it.....a hunch? > say it's a hunch

PROBLEM?...I would guess most guys cards are all hunches...... uh-oh I love this topic.....
  * is that COVERS is (not really)......a wagering forum.....it's a SUPPORT GROUP..........think about it   > examine the threads / posts

" guys here's my bets....do you like 'em?".........then 98% of the time it's simple praise or criticism....."you da' man" ! ....OR ....you're an IDIOT!"

An actual serious wagering forum?......

MAJORITY of the members would actually put in some work....
   $$ a handful of guys doing the work?.....everybody else praising / ripping them each week ?..............
  * here guys are more concerned with their week to week record....than anything else > really silly.....a goat (coin flip) can get red hot for 3-4 weeks+

"I like these teams at THIS NUMBER".......and  WHY....AND WHEN can you expect to get it
  >  THEN if we're here to LEARN / MAKE MORE MONEY > improve.....we would be open to advice too...

"Man I don't know.....bad spot for team A because.......then an open debate for BOTH SIDES.........idea would be to learn > not win the argument.............

Exactly, no offense to those to choose to write novels but I’m too busy & don’t give enough of a fuk to convince you anyhow, either bet it or fade it, I’m posting it

No writeup 

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #17

Wow, I learned something new today.  Even though I've posted a 20-10 record these first 3 weeks (and I'm not making up a YTD record - search EDGE PLAYS) I guess my plays didn't count because I didn't post write ups next to them.  I suppose people would have been better off following posters who gave out picks with analysis who ultimately have losing records.  Will they admit to having losing records?  Probably not.

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #18

Quote Originally Posted by On_Edge:

Wow, I learned something new today.  Even though I've posted a 20-10 record these first 3 weeks (and I'm not making up a YTD record - search EDGE PLAYS) I guess my plays didn't count because I didn't post write ups next to them.  I suppose people would have been better off following posters who gave out picks with analysis who ultimately have losing records.  Will they admit to having losing records?  Probably not.
Keep that up& you can go tout.

Years ago, this was a good discussion forum with lots of good cappers giving info & discussing games. It has slowly progressed to what it is now.........hundreds of bettors just posting plays........wanting to be "The Man". That's ok, but who does it serve? I enjoy reading a good write up, especially from someone I know has done their home work. But too often these days, the write ups get buried to back pages because of all the posting that goes on here now.........probably a good thing for me since I'm basically 0-5 in my two posts I've made so far this season. 

Just keep posting if you wish, & put your YTD record up there. You'll get your respect eventually, even if you have a cold streak.

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #19

a better question is why post an analysis at all ?are we in a contest with each other?are we trying to convince others to bet what we bet?the all time best cappers on this website over the years NEVER posted writeups , almost none of them to each their own though
Right onthumbs_up

Covers Rehab
Participation Meter
Posted: #20

Would love to hear some Tier-1 Handymen weigh in on this thread. I see a lot of the rift-raft, B-level handicappers chirping, but how about the guys that are actually good on this site? Crickets so far in this thread. 

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #21

i'm not looking to read a three page write up but a few sentences would suffice on why someone likes a certain play. are they following a trend, situation, etc.? or just throwing darts? it's just sharing ideas and angles to make us better cappers. guys like megalocks and white mice did it. leaguecapper does it on the NFL forum.

Hall of Fame
Participation Meter
Posted: #22

Quote Originally Posted by CornellLaw:

Would love to hear some Tier-1 Handymen weigh in on this thread. I see a lot of the rift-raft, B-level handicappers chirping, but how about the guys that are actually good on this site? Crickets so far in this thread. 

read post 13

He’s one of the very best we have ever had since 2004, if not the best, he’s a true handicapper 

Hall of Fame
Participation Meter
Posted: #23

Quote Originally Posted by THEMUGG:

Keep that up& you can go tout.

Years ago, this was a good discussion forum with lots of good cappers giving info & discussing games. It has slowly progressed to what it is now.........hundreds of bettors just posting plays........wanting to be "The Man". That's ok, but who does it serve? I enjoy reading a good write up, especially from someone I know has done their home work. But too often these days, the write ups get buried to back pages because of all the posting that goes on here now.........probably a good thing for me since I'm basically 0-5 in my two posts I've made so far this season. 

Just keep posting if you wish, & put your YTD record up there. You'll get your respect eventually, even if you have a cold streak.

It was when we had a big group of good cappers, that was before the age of the Internet personality took over people though

Not enough of them left to discuss much, things have changed so we either leave or adapt 

Always one of my favorite PAC12 reads 

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #24

A few posters in here have earned the right to post their plays w/o write ups and earn your consideration or pause. What you do with it is ultimately up to you. Guys like rush and van if your on the opposite side i'd recommend further analysis of your selection regardless of whether they give a write up.

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #25

Quote Originally Posted by CornellLaw:

You're a SAF LOSER , who created a new username so you could bash me in my thread ...

Hope you Faded me , you would have lost a ton 
< Page of 3 > >>
Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View