View Our New Forum Updates. You can always switch back to what you're used to.
View Our New Forum Updates.
You can always switch back to what you're used to.

Desert Daze 2018

Participants:
Views: 440

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #1

I'll be heading to the Desert Daze Festival in Moreno, California in about a month. 

The first Lollapolooza was my last venture into such a similar occasion. 

I couldn't be more excited for this festival. 

I'll be adding a different link to some of the performing artists throughout the next month. 

Really, some of my favorite music happening right now will be performed at this.

I highly recommend you take a listen to King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. 

Two drummers, exceptional musicianship, very unique sound(implementing microtonal elements in some of their songs), and not tied down to one type of song or genre.

Their album, Gumboot Soup is consistantly in my personal rotation. It's a mish-mash of songs representing a little of the other 4 albums they released in 2017. You read that correctly, 5 albums in 2017. 

Think Grateful Dead on speed, Tool circa 1969, and a down under Ween. (I don't even enjoy listening to the Dead or Tool.)

There's something about these cats which is spellbinding to me.

Not sure why i pushed "enter" after every sentence.

There are many people who say they can't find good new music these days. I hope this finds someone who can appreciate good, new music.

I'll probably be writing to myself for a while, but it'll be fun anyhow.

Enjoy

Quote Post Report User

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #2

Most, if not all of the music I'll be linking has a psychedelic, old-rock-with-a-modern feel to it. I would have loved to have  been born in 1950 just because of the music I'd experience in the late 60's and early 70's. 

Here's Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats.

To me, they're a perfect blend of groove and melody with a heavy dose of doom and psychedelia.

Their album, "Volume One" hooked me on first listen. Nothing crazy or groundbreaking, just great, dirty, kick-ass songs.

If you dig anything heavy from the 70's, please check them out. 

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #3

For my next trick, allow me to introduce you to Chelsea Wolfe.

This video is a tad old but the audio engineer on this is Kevin Suggs, and anything he engineers sounds phenomenal. 

Ever since I was introduced to her many moons ago, she can do no wrong in my ears.

Here's a more recent video. So bad assed.

I can't wait to see what she brings in the desert.

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #4

Wand.

Another instant hit for me. 

I hear Smashing Pumpkins mixed wonderfully with a modern psychedelic twist and absolutely gorgeous melodies.

The drummer is solid as f u c k and the singer songwriter is a killer player. 

Imagine, this is just the 4th band I've included on this stellar line-up for the festival.

I kinda hope I internally lose my s h i t when witnessing them live. I'd hate to externally lose it.

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #5

All Them Witches

These cats are masters at building tension, and when they release it, it's so good.

Yet, another KEXP performance. Check out KEXP's Youtube channel.  Oodles of great performances and recordings are abound.

Also, I highly recommend using headphones when listening to these links. Generic speakers will not do any of them any justice.

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #6

I don't recall as to how I was introduced to Tame Impala, maybe my daughter recommended them. This is the first thing I do remember seeing, years ago. A random sidebar suggestion whilst perusing the Youtube. I said to myself, "Hmm, Tame Impala, that's the band my daughter was telling me about." It's pretty old and kinda crappy sounding, but I loved the feel about it then as much as I still do now.

But this'll be closer to what they'll sound like in October:

All-Star
Participation Meter
Posted: #7

Thank you for the great introduction into some of these bands.
I'll delve further into Tame Impala,Wand,and All them Witches.
 Festival sounds awesome. 

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #8

Quote Originally Posted by vetdrm:

Thank you for the great introduction into some of these bands.I'll delve further into Tame Impala,Wand,and All them Witches. Festival sounds awesome.

Totally my selfish pleasure doing this. Connection to anything worthwhile to someone is always a good thing.

Hoping the festival is fun. That's it. I'm trying not to expect anything.

Thanks for the response, vetdrm.

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #9

I am one of those people who, for the longest time, believed My Bloody Valentine was actually My Chemical Romance or Bullet For My Valentine. Both of those bands physically repulse me. I didn't do my due diligence and actually look up My Bloody Valentine and listen to them... ever. So here they are, a headliner at this festival and I'm like, "Ugh, an emo band? F u c k that. I can't stand them."

Now that I know who I'm actually seeing, I'm so happy. Giddy actually, because My Bloody Valentine is right up my alley when it comes to music. I'll be surrounded by people who know these songs by heart, enjoying every minute of them, for the first time!

This may not be "today's" new music, but i dig it immensely already. I'll share their album, Loveless. Just because it sounds like it's going to be a great album from the get go.

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #10

This band kicks ass.

I love their songs, the melodies, those far out harmonies, and the drummer is killer.

They've been together for like 14 years, from California, drummer from Australia, I think.

There seems to be a big Aussie element to this festival.

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #11

Slowdive came back into the fold a few years back and they've been received quite well for it. I can't believe they're gonna be at this festival. Epitome of the "shoegaze" sound. I missed out on them in their heyday, so I'm super excited to hear them soon.

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #12

A friend of mine shared this video with me years ago and I couldn't tell if it was a joke or if it was genius. 

I decidedly went with, "I don't care, it's f u c k i n g great." I had never heard anything like it before. And since then, Deathgrips has consistently released new, fresh, and totally-alien-to-mine-ears music, the likes I've yet to compare anything to them with. Abrasive and stress inducing, they seem to be the oddball at this festival, but I've always wanted to see them live, and fingers crossed, they'll actually show up.

Here it is live:

(

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #13

A friend introduced me to Shellac in '94 or early '95. I hadn't heard anything like them before. I was stuck in in a garden of sound and a whole bunch of dirt. Hearing it helped broaden my horizons as to what else was out there.

Not the most recent sample, but great nonetheless:

A fun interview with Steve Albini. Check it!

Suffice it to say, I dig the living c r a p outta this band.

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #14

one more from 2000.

It's their intensity I love. 

I realize most likely they won't be as intense as this when I see them, but one can hope.

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #15

Ty Segall and White Fence will most likely be one of the biggest draws of this festival's lineup.

I'm not familiar with White Fence at all. But Segall's album, Manipulator, has been in my listening rotation for years now.

This is the most recent video of them live I could find.

Here's Segall's album, Maniputaor:

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #16

From here on out, the bands i link will be totally unfamiliar ground for me. 

Boogarins seems to be one of the "trippiest" sounding bands at the festival.

This set is jam packed with anticipation met with release.  Very unique song writing. 

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #17

JJUUJJUU

I think these cats will put on a great show. I already dig what little I've heard.

The 3:30 mark. oh yeah!

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #18

The closer the date for this festival gets, the less I want to keep investigating as to who is going to be performing. I almost want to just be surprised the rest of the way. But I've already looked into the rest of the lineup and I still want to share. So be it.

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #19

This band really intrigues me. This is a great performance.

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #20

I'll leave with these two bands as a send off.

Rookie
Participation Meter
Posted: #21

It looks like I'll be up in to the wee hours this weekend. It just may be the funnest weekend ever, or, because of me being 46 years old, the most exhausting. 

In the words of Ringo Starr, 

Peace and love, peace and love. 
Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View