I have a tear in Rotator Cuff...

Views: 728

Rookie
Participation Meter
#1 Report User
Posted:

Anybody out there every had the Stem Cell treatment done? (taking stem cells from another area from the body then injecting them into the affected area) ...I've heard it's expensive but works...been doing physical therapy the last 10-12 wks which has helped but i think the results have hit a  plateau..tia

Veteran
Participation Meter
#2 Report User
Posted:

which of the 4 tendons is torn? Pt can only do so much 

Prospect
Participation Meter
#3 Report User
Posted:

If you thought having it torn was painfull. The first 6 months after surgery (rehab) is horrible. The good news is if you do it correctly it will feel much better in the long run.

Rookie
Participation Meter
#4 Report User
Posted:

i've decided NOT to have surgery for now...seems to be improving from date of injury..(sept.2016)...it's  close to 80% of normal...just having problems when i try to reach behind me...e.g. using my arm to reach for seat belt (using left shoulder) or trying to do a push-up would put too much stress on the area....luckily my dominant arm is right...
also know  of 3 people who have had the surgery & told me they're about 80% to 85% back to normal after about 1 to 2 yrs from surgery...2 out of the 3 have had to get another procedure...so they actually had 2 surgeries for the injury...
i've been told with  mine maybe the scar tissue has helped the  tear..somehow....probably wasnt a full tear..luckily....maybe if i'm lucky another 6mos it'll feel even BETTER...bolta

All-Star
Participation Meter
#5 Report User
Posted:

If you can sleep without any discomfort you are fortunate.
I dont know your age but if you are young enough, 45-55 years of age,and assuming you have had the tear x-rayed,if the tear is small enough and you qualify for arthroscopic surgery,and have some type of insurance I would absolutely get it done sooner then later.
Exercise can be the right remedy but you also risk tearing it further.
 3 months for minor surgery to fix a small tear as opposed to open surgery and 18 months recovery.

Not to scare you but I know people that have 25% use of one of there arms now because of the degenerative muscle loss they have experienced from not having any procedure.

Sorry to ramble...in short if your young and it only requires arthro get it done.   Just my 2 cents. Good luck

Rookie
Participation Meter
#6 Report User
Posted:

Thks Vet... I'm 61 y/o and heard it's probably NOT a good idea at this stage to have the surgery... Mine prob NOT a major tear cuz i can do most things ...the only prob i have is reaching behind or lifting more than about 25-30lbs over head...but since it's on my off arm i try NOT to put it in a position to injure it further...also seems like the last 6-9 mos. it's been feeling better...starting to lift light weight/dumb bells 3-5 lbs...Also know 2 people who've had the surgery and BOTH had to have the surgery TWICE..and to top it off they claim it's still about 75% maybe 80% back to normal....i'm prob close to 75% w/o surgery...the ortho has alrdy suggeted i get the procedure done but i DONT think i really need it ...if it worsens then i'd have to consider it but NOT at the moment...

Prospect
Participation Meter
#7 Report User
Posted:

Everyone that I know says they feel better now than they did before the tear. With that said they may have had a micro-tear prior to getting the dye test and finding the full tear. I do need say they are all 2 years + after surgery and followed Dr.s oeders as well as their physical therapist orders and exercises to the letter. They also say it hurt for almost 6 months of rehab more than the tear. 

I have a major tear in my right and a smaller tear in my left. My doctor suggested I wait for my next hip revision before having the right done. He also said I really can't do more damage because they don't heal on their own and they are both to big for any scope. He did send me to PT and she taught me exercises to keep the muscles from experiences atrophy.

Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View