Why you should back the Pack but worry about backing the Pats: Playoff Write-ups

First << 1 of 4 >> Last
Views: 6290

Captain
Participation Meter
#1 Report User
Posted:

Having grown up watching and rooting for two of the greatest QBs of all time, Joe Montana and Dan Marino, I can say, with some confidence, that Arron Rodgers is the greatest QB I have ever seen. He combines the arm strength, quick release and accuracy of Marino with the touch, scrambling ability, foot-work, poise, intellect, and decision making of Montana, making him the most lethal weapon in all of football. What sets him above Brady in my book, besides the raw talent, is that he is not coached by one of the greatest coaches of all time, so he will never have the playoff credentials of a Brady. Instead, Rodgers has a slightly above-average coach who often manages to steal defeat from the jaws of victory. 

Ironically, Rodgers’ greatness has been exemplified more by his losses than his victories, which brings me to my point. In the last few playoffs, Rodgers faced two of the greatest defenses and coaches (Carroll and Harbaugh) of this decade (the Niners and Seahawks), with the same crappy defense he has now, and almost won both games (one in GB and the other in Seattle). Now Rodgers goes up against a vanilla Falcons defense, against a QB in Matty Ice who is as likely to choke as have a great game, in a revenge situation and a possible SB birth, and we are getting 5 points?! 

Yeah, I know the public is on the Packers and the line is going the other way, but the NFL and the networks are with the Packers and I like that even more. Nobody outside of Atlanta wants to see the Falcons in the SB, which means the calls should favor GB. Having beaten the Packers in their last matchup is also good at it gives the Falcons a sense of security that is not warranted while making the Pack more eager not to make similar mistakes that cost them that game. Of course, the Packers, with their QB and coach and a few other players, actually have experience winning this game and going to a SB. So an edge there as well. The Falcons, if you think about their win over a Seattle team that was a shell of itself from a few years ago, was not impressive at all. The Falcons were a Hester punt return for a TD away from being in a big hole and/or at the very least a dogfight. And, of course, most people will not recall this, but Matty Ice got very lucky on a couple of plays that normally would have been disasters (i.e., fumbles or picks). So no, I don’t think much of the Falcons or their QB.

The Play: Packers +5

I have a theory about the Patriots. About how they can look so good for most of the season but then lose a home game in the playoffs. As great as the Pats have been, they have also lost some big playoff games at home (and away) against teams they were better than during the regular season. I think the reason for this is that the Pats are always or often the better coached team with the superior QB (hence their regular season success) but not the more talented team. This flaw or deficiency in talent shows up most in the playoffs because now they are playing teams that have good coaching and good to great QBs but with more talent, at other positions, than the Pats. The Pats are a much more successful version of Tom Thibodeau’s Bulls teams that had great regular season success, but could not beat the more talented teams in the playoffs in a best of 7, where talent always wins out. I imagine that if the NFL playoffs were more like the NBA, and the Pats had to beat more talented teams more than once in the playoffs, the great coaching would be offset and talent would win out there as well.  

This is not to take anything away from the Pats or their greatness, but just an observation based on years of watching them play and execute so flawlessly against lesser teams but have a lot of difficulty against talented, athletic teams with solid coaching, like the Broncos, the Ravens and the Steelers. If Brady was not on his revenge tour, wanting to get even with the real “author of all his pains” (Roger Goodell), I would take the points and back the Steelers. But as it is, I can’t recommend any play, though the Steelers, with all their talent, speed and athleticism, are just the kind of team that could give NE fits and cause an upset.  

Good Luck!

Veteran
Participation Meter
#2 Report User
Posted:

Nice write up 

Veteran
Participation Meter
#3 Report User
Posted:

beginnerboy, enjoyed your write-up...bravo!!!

Prospect
Participation Meter
#4 Report User
Posted:

Blind write up saying how great GB was and how lucky Atl was, please. No mention of not a single decent player on GBs secondary that is all practice squad. How are they going to stop a team that scores 35+ every game At home?

Rookie
Participation Meter
#5 Report User
Posted:

Chargers did have better defense and running game then than what Green Bay has now.

Veteran
Participation Meter
#6 Report User
Posted:

GB moneyline and PITT moneyline in a parlay should pay around +800 

Prospect
Participation Meter
#7 Report User
Posted:

MOBILE
01/17/2017
06:26 PM
[Ticket #: 296106967] PARLAY (2 TEAMS)
01/22/2017 @ 12:05 PMNFLConference Championships
[311] GB PACKERS +180 
01/22/2017 @ 03:40 PMNFLConference Championships
[313] PIT STEELERS +210 

Prospect
Participation Meter
#8 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by skins1206:

MOBILE
01/17/2017
[311] GB PACKERS +180 
[313] PIT STEELERS +210 

Prospect
Participation Meter
#9 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by begginerboy:

In the last few playoffs, Rodgers faced two of the greatest defenses and coaches (Carroll and Harbaugh) of this decade (the Niners and Seahawks), with the same crappy defense he has now, and almost won both games (one in GB and the other in Seattle). Now Rodgers goes up against a vanilla Falcons defense, against a QB in Matty Ice who is as likely to choke as have a great game, in a revenge situation and a possible SB birth, and we are getting 5 points?! 

Yeah, I know the public is on the Packers and the line is going the other way, but the NFL and the networks are with the Packers and I like that even more. Nobody outside of Atlanta wants to see the Falcons in the SB, which means the calls should favor GB. Having beaten the Packers in their last matchup is also good at it gives the Falcons a sense of security that is not warranted while making the Pack more eager not to make similar mistakes that cost them that game. Of course, the Packers, with their QB and coach and a few other players, actually have experience winning this game and going to a SB. So an edge there as well. The Falcons, if you think about their win over a Seattle team that was a shell of itself from a few years ago, was not impressive at all. The Falcons were a Hester punt return for a TD away from being in a big hole and/or at the very least a dogfight. And, of course, most people will not recall this, but Matty Ice got very lucky on a couple of plays that normally would have been disasters (i.e., fumbles or picks). So no, I don’t think much of the Falcons or their QB.

I have a theory about the Patriots. About how they can look so good for most of the season but then lose a home game in the playoffs. As great as the Pats have been, they have also lost some big playoff games at home (and away) against teams they were better than during the regular season. I think the reason for this is that the Pats are always or often the better coached team with the superior QB (hence their regular season success) but not the more talented team. This flaw or deficiency in talent shows up most in the playoffs because now they are playing teams that have good coaching and good to great QBs but with more talent, at other positions, than the Pats. The Pats are a much more successful version of Tom Thibodeau’s Bulls teams that had great regular season success, but could not beat the more talented teams in the playoffs in a best of 7, where talent always wins out. I imagine that if the NFL playoffs were more like the NBA, and the Pats had to beat more talented teams more than once in the playoffs, the great coaching would be offset and talent would win out there as well.  

This is not to take anything away from the Pats or their greatness, but just an observation based on years of watching them play and execute so flawlessly against lesser teams but have a lot of difficulty against talented, athletic teams with solid coaching, like the Broncos, the Ravens and the Steelers. If Brady was not on his revenge tour, wanting to get even with the real “author of all his pains” (Roger Goodell), I would take the points and back the Steelers. But as it is, I can’t recommend any play, though the Steelers, with all their talent, speed and athleticism, are just the kind of team that could give NE fits and cause an upset.  

Good Luck!

couple of items I would counter with.

if the nfl is wanting the packers to beat atl, you can say they also wanted the cowboys to be in the superbowl, and yet no evidence the refs made any calls in the cowboys favour to achieve such an outcome.

Matty ices loses in the playoffs have also been because of his crappy defense.

You can't say the packers lost the other years due to a crappy defense as you mention the seahawks and 49ers loses and yet not acknowledge that this packers defense is even worse then any of them, and their going up against a way better offense then either of those teams did.

its impossible to subjectively say the falcons with a 1 point win earlier will give them a false sense of security. they are 1 game away from the superbowl, I doubt any complancy will set in especially when they know the packers have been playing great. All the players realize on both teams that they might never get so close again, it will be balls out on both teams and not just 1

Veteran
Participation Meter
#10 Report User
Posted:

Guess that's why they play the Game" We Shall See

All-Star
Participation Meter
#11 Report User
Posted:

Saying Rodgers is the GOAT really ended you write-up.

ATL all day!!!!!!!

Prospect
Participation Meter
#12 Report User
Posted:

Rodgers is statistically the GOAT in his past 9 season he only has 2 seasons where he threw double digit INTs. His Td/Ints ratio is like 4/1. 

Captain
Participation Meter
#13 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by gambling-devil:

ATL all day!!!!!!!

Look, I started watching the NFL in 1981, and this guy is hands down the greatest I have seen. Can't speak about the guys before, but I doubt any of them have the stats this guy has. But it was also a different game back then. Montana was my favorite QB, but I have no problems admitting that Rodgers is way better. Give Rodgers a Jerry Rice and Roger Craig or a Duper and Clayton (Marino's boys), or a hall of fame defensive coach like BB that can give him a solid defense and he would destroy teams.

All-Star
Participation Meter
#14 Report User
Posted:

I watched football since 1982 and I do not think Rodgers is the GOAT

All-Star
Participation Meter
#15 Report User
Posted:

There is no QB better than Brady during his era.

Prospect
Participation Meter
#16 Report User
Posted:

Brady is the most accomplished not the GOAT.

Captain
Participation Meter
#17 Report User
Posted:

There is no QB better than Brady during his era.

Brady is great, don't get me wrong, but he is a statue compared to Rodgers. And he has one of the greatest coaches of all time. Just like Walsh and Montana, Brady and BB are a two man operation. You can never separate them and/or say who was responsible for who's success. If Rodgers runs the table, and beats your boy Brady, there will be no question who was the GOAT, even if he only has 2 SBs to Brady's 4 SBs. Why, because Rodgers is a one man wrecking crew. It's not about his coach or his receivers or running backs. It is all him and only him. Meanwhile, the Pats continue to win games even when Brady is out. Need I say more? 

Veteran
Participation Meter
#18 Report User
Posted:

That 3rd and 20 completion looked different than anything I've ever seen.  I'll give you that.. The way he flinged it like it was a little 10 yard completion.. It still doesn't look right every time I see it..

Rookie
Participation Meter
#19 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by sunster19:

couple of items I would counter with.

if the nfl is wanting the packers to beat atl, you can say they also wanted the cowboys to be in the superbowl, and yet no evidence the refs made any calls in the cowboys favour to achieve such an outcome.

the refs definitely tried to help the cowboys last week. but there's only so many defensive holdings and pass interference calls the refs can ignore in a game. 

Prospect
Participation Meter
#20 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by DrKnoNothing:

Brady is the most accomplished not the GOAT.

Yes, DrKnoNothing tell me more about how you know nothing.

Prospect
Participation Meter
#21 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by skins1206:

MOBILE
01/17/2017
[311] GB PACKERS +180 
[313] PIT STEELERS +210 
You are so fucked my friends. 

Prospect
Participation Meter
#22 Report User
Posted:

ATL all day!!!!!!!

Tom Brady disagrees with you. Quote from Brady after watching Rodgers do his thing against Dallas: 

On Tuesday, the New England QB revealed to WEEI that he is an Aaron Rodgers fanboy. He makes a point of watching all of Rodgers' tape, and stays up late to watch the Packers whenever they are on TV. 

"I think he does things that no one in the league has ever done, or can do, just because of his physical ability," Brady said on WEEI.                                     

Veteran
Participation Meter
#23 Report User
Posted:

Brady is great, don't get me wrong, but he is a statue compared to Rodgers. And he has one of the greatest coaches of all time. Just like Walsh and Montana, Brady and BB are a two man operation. You can never separate them and/or say who was responsible for who's success. If Rodgers runs the table, and beats your boy Brady, there will be no question who was the GOAT, even if he only has 2 SBs to Brady's 4 SBs. Why, because Rodgers is a one man wrecking crew. It's not about his coach or his receivers or running backs. It is all him and only him. Meanwhile, the Pats continue to win games even when Brady is out. Need I say more? 

Agree with this BB. Pats were 3-1 during Brady suspension this season and went 11-5 with Matt Cassell when Brady missed a season due to injury. Rodgers is the dude from the Gladiator. 

Banned
Participation Meter
#24 Report User
Posted:

Gl like it 

Veteran
Participation Meter
#25 Report User
Posted:

Having grown up watching and rooting for two of the greatest QBs of all time, Joe Montana and Dan Marino, I can say, with some confidence, that Arron Rodgers is the greatest QB I have ever seen. He combines the arm strength, quick release and accuracy of Marino with the touch, scrambling ability, foot-work, poise, intellect, and decision making of Montana, making him the most lethal weapon in all of football. What sets him above Brady in my book, besides the raw talent, is that he is not coached by one of the greatest coaches of all time, so he will never have the playoff credentials of a Brady. Instead, Rodgers has a slightly above-average coach who often manages to steal defeat from the jaws of victory. 

Ironically, Rodgers’ greatness has been exemplified more by his losses than his victories, which brings me to my point. In the last few playoffs, Rodgers faced two of the greatest defenses and coaches (Carroll and Harbaugh) of this decade (the Niners and Seahawks), with the same crappy defense he has now, and almost won both games (one in GB and the other in Seattle). Now Rodgers goes up against a vanilla Falcons defense, against a QB in Matty Ice who is as likely to choke as have a great game, in a revenge situation and a possible SB birth, and we are getting 5 points?! 

Good Luck!

Brady is 7-2 against Pitt and 2-0 in playoffs and 5-0 at home against them. Your statement in silly,

Considering the game this weekend will be in Foxboro, let’s take it a step further and isolate just Brady’s games against Pittsburgh when the games are played in Foxboro. These are his stats from the Steelers’ visits in 2002, 2007, 2013 and 2015:

109-for-154 (70.8 percent)
1,413 yards (353 yards per game)
15 touchdowns
0 interceptions

Yeah, seems he struggles mightily against Pitt.

Brady is 23-9 in playoffs, he is the G.O.A.T but I will say that just talent wise Rodgers is in a class by himself, he has an all around skill set that is insane.

First << 1 of 4 >> Last
Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View