exercises for building muscle

Participants:
Views: 1627

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #1

Hi I would like to ask what kind of exercises are good for building muscle on shoulders?

Quote Post Report User

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #2

Quote Originally Posted by boxingworld:

Hi I would like to ask what kind of exercises are good for building muscle on shoulders?

It depends, but pilates and crossfit are very good exercises not just for the shoulders, but to build muscle on your whole body.

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #3

Resistance exercises build muscles.  Try barbell military press, dumbell side laterals and barbell rear delt row.  Sleep and nutrition help too.

MVP
Participation Meter
Posted: #4

Former strongman competitor, to build shoulder exercises shoulder press is a must. Whether its standing or sitting, these will develop your shoulders the most. When training a lot of the workouts I do don't involve to many isolated movements, more compound movements as it releases more human growth hormones and involves more joints and not just focusing on one muscle group. Highly recommend you check out a guy called Mike Israetel. A poster on here called Jive Turkey who was a former bodybuilder got me onto Mike and his information is the best I have seen out there for many years. Also scientific based, not bro science straight out of a gym. 

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #5

standing front barbell press. Oh it hurts because you cant cheat.Seated you engage other muscles (back) and avoid isolation. 
Seated dumbbell only. 

Captain
Participation Meter
Posted: #6

Thanks for the plug Aus, yep mike Israetel is a great source of information for all things muscle hypertrophy .. actually one of the interesting nuggets I’ve picked up from him regarding “shoulder” training is steering away from overhead pressing.. the reason being that the movement really targets the ‘front’ delts primarily with minimal activation of the ‘side’ delts - which is the part of your shoulder musculature that will give you that much sought after ‘wide’ look.. the side delts are much more effectively hit with movements like upright rows and side lateral raises.. meanwhile your front delts get plenty of stimulation from your bench pressing so there’s really not much need to do much if any overhead pressing.. 

The other important area which many of us tend to neglect are our rear delts - which help to give you a nice ‘pop’ to your shoulders, particularly when you turn side on.. training your rear delts with movements like face pulls and rear delt raises also has the added bonus of helping to keep your shoulders healthy - ie, most gym bros tend to do far more pressing movements than pulling movements which can lead to a lot of soreness / tendinitis in your shoulders.. again though, you only really need a few sets per week of direct rear delt work because they’re only a small muscle and already get hit pretty hard from your horizontal rowing movements.. 

I’ve actually ceased all overhead pressing for the time being and am devoting more weekly volume to upright rows (with dumbbells) and side lateral raises.. give it a try 

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #7

Don't forget rear your delts.

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #8

lateral raises for the mid delt which will give you the more full look but never neglect the rear dealt which is the most undertrained part of the shoulder. a small rear dealt makes the shoulder look weird as the anterior part is always trained indirectly by most pushing workouts

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #9

any type of resistance training will tear the muscle in which will be built back up bigger and stronger if you provide it with enough protein . typically its 1 gram of protein per lean body weight minimum. 

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #10

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch1976:

Don't forget rear your delts.

an_light

Train the rears completely away from shoulder day for max strength otherwise they are gassed. 

Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View