View Our New Forum Updates. You can always switch back to what you're used to.
View Our New Forum Updates.
You can always switch back to what you're used to.

Any thoughts on Windows 10?

Participants:
< Page of 2 > >>
Views: 3596
< Page of 2 > >>

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #1

I signed up for the download. Seems like every time I upgraded from these guys I've screwed up my computer and had to remove the upgrade until such time when the kinks are worked out. They're making it sound like it's free now, you better get it before we charge. Any thoughts?
Quote Post Report User

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #2

Mine is downloaded, I'm just waiting to hear if anyone has any issues in the next day or two before I install it

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #3

My onl thought is I don't want it and want to know how to turn off that annoying reminder for it. Yeah I could google and figure it out but I'm too lazy.

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #4

I visited the Microsoft store yesterday. The employee said the free download is for one year. Of course he said there were no problems yet. What else is he supposed to say? I think I'll give it 2-3 months before deciding. Let others work out the "bugs'.

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #5

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoils:

I visited the Microsoft store yesterday. The employee said the free download is for one year. Of course he said there were no problems yet. What else is he supposed to say? I think I'll give it 2-3 months before deciding. Let others work out the "bugs'.

After reading about the problems KeyElement had I have decided to hold off like you.   I don't want to have to mess around with all of this stuff like he did just before football season.

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #6

Downloaded the 10. It immediately knocked out my HP printer. Called HP for help. Allowed their tech rep to take over my computer. He pointed out all the drivers that were not updated. A lot of errors were created by switching to 10 from my Windows 7. I have since reverted back to Windows 7 and my printer is back to normal. It took two and a half hours to download 10. About 25 minutes to revert back to 7. I understand they're about to introduce a bunch of updates for 10 very soon. Still undecided if I'll switch back over. I have a sneaking suspicion that Microsoft is going to force a download of 10 at the end of the one year free download period. Hope they work out the bugs by then. Windows 7 works well for me. I have no desire to switch.

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #7

I did mine a few weeks ago....   the update froze for about 30 minutes and while Googling how to fix, it started up again and came through clean.   No issues so far, really haven't dug into it yet though.

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #8

Hope it works out for you. Keep  us updated if you encounter any problems.

Covers Linesmen
Participation Meter
Posted: #9

Yep, so many people just jumped to get this "free" version of windows. I can't tell you the number of calls we have gotten to fix this upgrade.  If there is no compelling reason to download a new OS then don't do it.  Now if you have Windows 8, that is pretty compelling.

I an not putting any of my business customers on it until Windows 7 is completely phased out. 

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #10

Faceoff, I'm old, alone and change does not agree w/me. That said, Covers is on the way out for me.
I downloaded W 10 about 3 mos. ago, WOW, what a mistake.
I don't understand the whats and how toos of what you posted but thanks. It somehow makes my ignorance more acceptable.

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #11

Thanks for your contribution faceoff. I'm very happy with Windows 7 and hope Microsoft will continue its support which I believe is a pipedream. Seems they're bent on getting to Windows 10 and will eventually force the download. I have had the popups for the 10 download several times since the change back to Windows 7. It starts by itself and starts to download without any permission from me. I have to stop the download so a 10 Force is imminent.

Typed this reply on another site as the Covers ads and popups causes my messages to stop and leave letters out of my messages. Posting on Covers is SO FRUSTRATING! Help Lipps!

Covers Linesmen
Participation Meter
Posted: #12

Hey guys, use this to stop the Windows 10 nag messages.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #13

I have 7 now, repelled by 8, but understanding that 10 is just the newest and more up-to-date version of 7, I'm really looking to use it, despite being dreadfully conservative!!!!!!

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #14

Have to make a decision on 10 soon. Hate to try it again and have it disable something I'm used to using. Still have not received an answer from Microsoft regarding my printer being rendered inoperable by downloading 10 the first time. Hopefully, they have ironed out the bugs by now. Having reservations on a download because 7 is just humming.

Covers Linesmen
Participation Meter
Posted: #15

I would just stick with 7

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #16

All 3 of our PCs here at home and both laptops are running Windows 10.  No issues here.  If you are having a hardware issue use Windows 8.0/8.1 drivers.  Windows 10 has been great for me.  However, I don't like to use Edge (built-in browser for windows 10) as my browser.  Google is still my choice of browser.  IE 9 was the last decent Microsoft browser....

Covers Linesmen
Participation Meter
Posted: #17

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant_Boogers:

All 3 of our PCs here at home and both laptops are running Windows 10.  No issues here.  If you are having a hardware issue use Windows 8.0/8.1 drivers.  Windows 10 has been great for me.  However, I don't like to use Edge (built-in browser for windows 10) as my browser.  Google is still my choice of browser.  IE 9 was the last decent Microsoft browser....

IE is still in Windows 10 but hidden, do know where to access it ?

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #18

Quote Originally Posted by Lippsman:

IE is still in Windows 10 but hidden, do know where to access it ?

I just created a shortcut from the location.  C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe.

Covers Linesmen
Participation Meter
Posted: #19

I just created a shortcut from the location.  C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe.

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #20

I would just stick with 7

Will W10 eventually render W7 useless? Just think they would not have gone through this W10 rollout without eventually discontinuing all other systems. A sidebar to my initial W10 download - I can no longer download anything while using AOL (which I've used almost exclusively since I got my first computer). To download, I have to switch to Firefox.

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #21

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoils:

Will W10 eventually render W7 useless? Just think they would not have gone through this W10 rollout without eventually discontinuing all other systems. A sidebar to my initial W10 download - I can no longer download anything while using AOL (which I've used almost exclusively since I got my first computer). To download, I have to switch to Firefox.

Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 support doesn't end until January 14th, 2020.  So plenty of time if you want to stay with Windows 7.  I am pretty sure there will be at least one major OS release before then.  Who knows the next OS might be the greatest of all time.

Legend
Participation Meter
Posted: #22

Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 support doesn't end until January 14th, 2020.  So plenty of time if you want to stay with Windows 7.  I am pretty sure there will be at least one major OS release before then.  Who knows the next OS might be the greatest of all time.

Thank you for the update M_B! I guess my laptop will be replaced before 2020. So I 'll wait for W10 when I pick up a new machine.

Covers Linesmen
Participation Meter
Posted: #23

Yep, 7 will be here for a good while longer, although I don't think MS is going to release SP2 for it.  They want to push people off 7, not make it more easy to install and update it. 

Veteran
Participation Meter
Posted: #24

Yep, 7 will be here for a good while longer, although I don't think MS is going to release SP2 for it.  They want to push people off 7, not make it more easy to install and update it. 

You're right Lippsman.  When I setup a Windows 7 PC, I dread the updates.  Even with SP1, there are another 280+ updates.  That rings SP2, but yep they would rather push Windows 10.  I run Windows 10 throughout our house, but at work 99% of our clients PCs have to stay Windows 7 because of applications, hardware, etc.  They're not ready for Win10.  When you create an update that creates that Win10 icon to upgrade and they plaster a Win10 upgrade popup when you access any Microsoft website, they are trying to force feed you. 

Prospect
Participation Meter
Posted: #25

My OS (which is Win7 at that time) offers me to upgrade it to Windows 10 at first I was curious how Win10 works on my laptop bec. I read many article saying it has cool features so I did upgrade my operating system but unfortunately, it gaves me disappointment i think because my device is not a touch screen. 
< Page of 2 > >>
Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View