Clean up your Contests

First Prev 2 of 4 Next Last
lucky leo
Prospect Participation Meter
Posted:
Quote #16

I agree I often have the highest percentage of winners but I don't lay every game no chance to win

gkastanza
Veteran Participation Meter
Posted:
Quote #17
Just some more food for thought. When I am in Vegas during MLB season, I bet a lot of run lines laying 1 & 1/2 runs in many of the heavy favorite games. This greatly cuts down on your exposure and yes you might lose one on occasion but for the most part if the huge favorite loses SU, you save a lot of $$$$
T99
Posted:
Quote #18
ALSO, A GOOD MANY ( GAMBLERS?, BETTORS?, OR WHATEVER THEY CONSIDER THEMSELVES)  JUST BET EVERY GAME HOPING TO FLUKE OUT ON A WEEKLY PRIZE IMO.
Daddy_Freddie
Rookie Participation Meter
Rookie Participation Meter
Posted:
Quote #19

I agree with Biff and many other posters here. Giving people a monetary sum or giving them only one pick a day makes it more of a test of overall handicapping skill which is admired more than making random selections.

The way it is now, it's equal to filling out 100 contest slips with the knowledge that the odds are lessened by the number of times you have "placed your name in the barrel" so you will win a prize at least.

yisman
Posted:
Quote #20
I wish they would award prizes based on overall record. I only enter some plays.
blacksheep
Posted:
Quote #21

Is this the Boo Hoo I can't win, so they should change the rules thread, because it seems like it? Every contest on the internet has at least one of these threads ( or more likely many of them).

This site has been up and running for at least 10+ years running this same format. Highly doubt that is going to be changed because a few people that spend a few seconds a day here want to make one pick and brag about their brilliant 4-0 record for a month. I am sure the people running this site want you here longer than that to see their advertisements. Otherwise this site goes away.

They have Streak Survivor and Ultimate Race (occasionally) for those that want a limited number of picks per day to choose from. As far as making 4 picks a month cherry picking from the best games and posting a "stellar" 4-0 record, and winning something for it, that isn't going to happen here, or almost anywhere for that matter. These sites need you to be here more than 2 seconds a day to be profitable, and thus make the money necessary in order for there to actually be prizes to be won.

yisman
Posted:
Quote #22
QUOTE Originally Posted by blacksheep:

Is this the Boo Hoo I can't win, so they should change the rules thread, because it seems like it? Every contest on the internet has at least one of these threads ( or more likely many of them).

This site has been up and running for at least 10+ years running this same format. Highly doubt that is going to be changed because a few people that spend a few seconds a day here want to make one pick and brag about their brilliant 4-0 record for a month. I am sure the people running this site want you here longer than that to see their advertisements. Otherwise this site goes away.

They have Streak Survivor and Ultimate Race (occasionally) for those that want a limited number of picks per day to choose from. As far as making 4 picks a month cherry picking from the best games and posting a "stellar" 4-0 record, and winning something for it, that isn't going to happen here, or almost anywhere for that matter. These sites need you to be here more than 2 seconds a day to be profitable, and thus make the money necessary in order for there to actually be prizes to be won.

lol, who's talking about 4 picks a month? Check out my record. I make a hell of a lot more than 4 picks a month, yet still not close to enough to be in contention for the season prizes.

http://contests.covers.com/Sportscontests/profile.aspx?user=54103&sportid=0

4 picks a month my behind.
trust-me
Posted:
Quote #23
Does anybody no of a winner who won some sizeable amount and who they are?
bearinvegas
Posted:
Quote #24

QUOTE Originally Posted by trust-me:
Does anybody no of a winner who won some sizeable amount and who they are?

I won the college contest last year and won $2000. They had the $ in my pay pal account very quickly too.

trust-me
Posted:
Quote #25
QUOTE Originally Posted by bearinvegas:

I won the college contest last year and won $2000. They had the $ in my pay pal account very quickly too.

Congrats on that in college hoops or football i didnt notice your name maybe i missed it ,but great job and glad to hear they paid fast ,Covers sent out my hats fast as well ....So great to hear if i ever get good enough to win 1 
Airtech42257
Posted:
Quote #26
I am going to post only who I think will win with point spread and not over and under.
Philly215
Captain Participation Meter
Captain Participation Meter
Posted:
Quote #27
won the MLB playoff contest a couple years ago, 35-12 record won $1,000.

TAS1
Posted:
Quote #28
QUOTE Originally Posted by Bennyup:
The problem with allowing parlay betting is it takes one mug punter to hit 50000-1 multi and they're winning the comp by a country mile. With so many people betting its pretty likely someone will do it and then everyone will be whinging that they don't know betting, just got lucky, which sounds similar to most of the comments already being made with the current system.
Each system has positives and negatives. Like what happens when average joe loses his $6k start up? Is he out for a month and then can re start with $6k, which is similar to a real-life scenario? I can assure you then he won't come back to the website, meaning less customers etc. is not good for business!
Just my two cents on the flip side to having a limited bankroll...
TAS1
Posted:
Quote #29
As the original inventor of this online contest format I can tell you that the current format is pretty decent.  I have been running the same ca$h contest since the early 90's which Covers eventually copied and practically named after my contest. 

I have tried on a few occasions over the years to adjust and change the format to acknowledge most of the concerns mentioned in these posts with no success.  The only significant change from the current format that pleased most contestants was by adding 5% vig to the plays.  This is what I would recommend Covers does with their contests.  Parlays are indeed the worst thing that can be added, we did it for 3 years & like Benny said.  Some guy eventually hits an 8 teamer and blows everyone away.  The contest then becomes a lottery every week to see who can hit the next one. 
ggotahoe
Posted:
Quote #30
Bennyup and Blacksheep are right on.  If you don't like these contests, start your own.  The numbers justify the popularity of the formats.

First Prev 2 of 4 Next Last
Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View