Kobe Clutch?? This might shock some of you...

Views: 1393

MVP
Participation Meter
#1 Report User
Posted:

82games.com

For those that think Kobe has been clutch in the 2011/2012 NBA Season..

Im not hating, Im just stating facts...

LINK

Check out Bryants Stats, he has the lowest FG% (32%) out of the top 10 in points in clutch moments ( 4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points)

I think the big reason why people think Kobe is so clutch is because all we see in highlights is him hitting the game winners. We dont see all the misses. When the game is on the line he is always going to be shooting so obviously he is going to have some game winners out of all the shots he takes... He has hit some amazing shots but he has a ton of misses too but those dont make the highlight reels...

Kobe is a great player, I wont deny that, but in my opinion, YES MY OPINION, he is definitely NOT the  top Laker player, that i feel goes to Magic. Again, that is my opinion. Magic said that Kobe is the best laker of all time but I think Magic, as he has always been, is really way too nice..

Kobe is a great player, definitely not in the top 10 of all time. Ill give him top 30... You cant call me a hater by putting him in the top 30. I think that is pretty freaking fair. 

Veteran
Participation Meter
#2 Report User
Posted:

Kobe's about as clutch as you'll get. Maybe he's been more clutch in past seasons.  They did a poll of GM last year or so and asked who they would want to shoot in the last 2 minutes of a close game. 90% picked Kobe.

There's soooooo many factors that affect shooting percentage which has nothing to do w/ clutch or not.  For instance, Kobe's the "bailout guy."  If the offense stalls they feed it to him w/ less than :10 left on the shot clock. 

Kobe v Magic?  Who knows. It's apples and oranges. Magic was the far better passer and rebounder.  Kobe's the far better scorer and defender.  Saying Magic is the #1 Laker of all time is absolutely no slight on Kobe.  Why? Because Magic was effin great.

Kobe not top 10 all time? You're just hatin' then.  Just look @ the 08 Olympic Finals game.  Spain cut the US lead to 4 or 5 with less than 2:00. Who did the ENTIRE TEAM turn to? That's a team w/ LeBron, Wade, Melo, Paul, Deron, Kidd, and countless other stars?

Kobe.  They all deferred to him to take the big shots and lead them to victory.

Even the superstars defer to Kobe.  If that's not top 10, I don't know what is. If that isn't clutch, I don't know what is.

Prospect
Participation Meter
#3 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyShot:

82games.com

For those that think Kobe has been clutch in the 2011/2012 NBA Season..

Im not hating, Im just stating facts...

LINK

Check out Bryants Stats, he has the lowest FG% (32%) out of the top 10 in points in clutch moments ( 4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points)

I think the big reason why people think Kobe is so clutch is because all we see in highlights is him hitting the game winners. We dont see all the misses. When the game is on the line he is always going to be shooting so obviously he is going to have some game winners out of all the shots he takes... He has hit some amazing shots but he has a ton of misses too but those dont make the highlight reels...

Kobe is a great player, I wont deny that, but in my opinion, YES MY OPINION, he is definitely NOT the  top Laker player, that i feel goes to Magic. Again, that is my opinion. Magic said that Kobe is the best laker of all time but I think Magic, as he has always been, is really way too nice..

Kobe is a great player, definitely not in the top 10 of all time. Ill give him top 30... You cant call me a hater by putting him in the top 30. I think that is pretty freaking fair. 

no justice, kobe at the very very least top 15

Rookie
Participation Meter
#4 Report User
Posted:

considering your stats.... he has stats for 8-10 games more against the guys ahead of him..... so even 5 points in any of those close games can FUK his stats up.... he's still Clutch..... compared to his team.... 

Veteran
Participation Meter
#5 Report User
Posted:

ive been saying this..... FOREVER

Veteran
Participation Meter
#6 Report User
Posted:

I would really like to hear who are on your top 10 list of clutch players?

MVP
Participation Meter
#7 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by R-U-N-V-S:

considering your stats.... he has stats for 8-10 games more against the guys ahead of him..... so even 5 points in any of those close games can FUK his stats up.... he's still Clutch..... compared to his team.... 

they are not MY stats, these are from a very respectable site... 

And with him having so many extra games like you said, you would think his shooting % would actually improve to being a normal one (say around 44%) but it is still only 33%... This FG % is not clutch!!

MVP
Participation Meter
#8 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by trying2makeabuk:

ive been saying this..... FOREVER

yeah, i think a lot of these people are just bigtime kobe lovers... Look at what kobe did in the game 7 vs the Celtics in the finals a couple years ago, he shot 6 for 24!!! Game 7 of the finals... Lakers won, not because of Kobe in that specific game...Luckily for the Lakers the refs bailed them out in that one, Celts had a nice lead.

MVP
Participation Meter
#9 Report User
Posted:

37 FTs by lakers in that game vs 17 for the Celts.. Celts shot 40 in FG and shot 88% in FT and shot 38% from 3pt and still lost!!

All-Star
Participation Meter
#10 Report User
Posted:

I think Durant is pretty clutch and I am interested to see what the future holds for him.  

MVP
Participation Meter
#11 Report User
Posted:

Bump!! after last night... hmmmm

Prospect
Participation Meter
#12 Report User
Posted:

this might shock you some of you but

clutch in terms of fg % being high in the closing minutes   is less important than  making the game winning shot or tying shot

which player do you want moneyshot? 2-8 in the final minutes but one bucket = ties the game and 2nd bucket wins the game  (KOBE type)   in the long term as we've seen has allowed him to get way more rings and way more game winning shots

or player who is 6-8 in the final minute but  bucket that ties the game = given to someone else ie DWADE or Chalmers, 2nd bucket that wins the game = given to someone else  (LeBRON type)   so far we've seen has allowed lebron to KEEP UP HIS GOOD STATS but way less game winners or game tying shots and zero rings so far

I like rings more than pretty numbers but I guess your a numbers guy moneyshot, enjoy less rings

The BIG W that every player is said to want 
Rings etc,   TRUMP pretty much everything else,

I'll take a player that shoots so and so, but makes the big time shots ie A FISHER, HORRY, KOBE than a Lebron (obviously best fg % of the people mentioned so far but defers too much rarely puts himself on the line

Banned
Participation Meter
#13 Report User
Posted:

The truth about Kobe Bryant in crunch time - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

kobes an overrated ball hoggin rapist bitch

Veteran
Participation Meter
#14 Report User
Posted:

Nice thread

Veteran
Participation Meter
#15 Report User
Posted:

You can distort stats however you like.  If you just focus on FG percentage for instance, you'll never notice that Bron choked his FTs in G2. And then completely deferred on the final play - he wasn't even trying to be involved in taking a 3-pointer.  He wasn't even acting like a decent decoy.

Rookie
Participation Meter
#16 Report User
Posted:

What is alarming about those stats  is if u look at lebrons stats before he went to miami and knew he could defer to wade were great !!

All-Star
Participation Meter
#17 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by pepsi562:

this might shock you some of you but

clutch in terms of fg % being high in the closing minutes   is less important than  making the game winning shot or tying shot

which player do you want moneyshot? 2-8 in the final minutes but one bucket = ties the game and 2nd bucket wins the game  (KOBE type)   in the long term as we've seen has allowed him to get way more rings and way more game winning shots

or player who is 6-8 in the final minute but  bucket that ties the game = given to someone else ie DWADE or Chalmers, 2nd bucket that wins the game = given to someone else  (LeBRON type)   so far we've seen has allowed lebron to KEEP UP HIS GOOD STATS but way less game winners or game tying shots and zero rings so far

I like rings more than pretty numbers but I guess your a numbers guy moneyshot, enjoy less rings

The BIG W that every player is said to want 
Rings etc,   TRUMP pretty much everything else,

I'll take a player that shoots so and so, but makes the big time shots ie A FISHER, HORRY, KOBE than a Lebron (obviously best fg % of the people mentioned so far but defers too much rarely puts himself on the line

yep, much rather a player with a will to win and balls to want that final shot hit or miss.

Veteran
Participation Meter
#18 Report User
Posted:

Kobe's reputation for being clutch is mainly from the early years when they 3 peated.  Kobe was clutch as fuck in his prime and hit some HUGE shots during that 3 peat.  He hasn't been near as clutch for the past few years as he was then.  

Prospect
Participation Meter
#19 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingoBarnes:

Kobe's reputation for being clutch is mainly from the early years when they 3 peated.  Kobe was clutch as fuck in his prime and hit some HUGE shots during that 3 peat.  He hasn't been near as clutch for the past few years as he was then.  

yup once its documented its there for replay, lebron on the otherhand we don't get too much, lebron is no rookie he pretty much in his prime.

I like lebron though for his acting performances makes me laugh how the refs fall for it