our government is broken and it can not be fixed

First << 1 of 3 >> Last
Views: 1244

Banned
Participation Meter
#1 Report User
Posted:

In 1887 Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh ,
had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior:

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent
form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally
collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a dictatorship."

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage."

Our Government is broken and it cannot be fixed...

Banned
Participation Meter
#2 Report User
Posted:

* I do not claim to have originated this.

I do however feel it is true.
I don't blame obama
I don't blame bush

As a nation we have good heading this way since WWII

Legend
Participation Meter
#3 Report User
Posted:

Obama is just speeding up a little ...

Legend
Participation Meter
#4 Report User
Posted:

Don't say were wern't warned...

Hall of Fame
Participation Meter
#5 Report User
Posted:

This has been posted before and it's always a great topic of discussion.  To exclusively blame the populous is inaccurate and shortsighted.  You have corporations outsourcing jobs for maximum profits and paying no import taxes on the Made in China junk they sell back to jobless Americans.  While this keeps inflation in check, it also cripples the ability of government to collect and sustain sufficient tax revenue in the coffers. 

Corporate welfare is just as dangerous as any other welfare and trickle down economics becomes voodoo mathematics when there are no blue collar jobs.  Yes, many of us are creative and resourceful and take advantage of self employment opportunities as well as manage investments.  But many more people cannot for various reasons.

Now throw in an aging population of baby boomers counting on a bankrupt social security system and you can see that the fun is just beginning.  Hold on, it's going to be a rough ride.

Hall of Fame
Participation Meter
#6 Report User
Posted:

This is not totally true. In some countries people pay taxes because they know it goes to public schools, hospitals, free health care, pensions and such.

Then there is USA.........................................

Legend
Participation Meter
#7 Report User
Posted:

Then there is Denmark ...

Where the "European counter-jihad meeting" was held yesterday to protest what is called the Islamization of Europe...all you Danes will be paying a tax for prayer rugs in the next 10 years ..

Banned
Participation Meter
#8 Report User
Posted:

@#6
In some countries people pay taxes because they know it goes to...
snip...
free health care....
snip...
V
V
V
V
V
V
$o it ISNT FREE health care, the 50% or higher tax rate pays for the "Free" healthcare.

Of course it is more "free" for anyone that doesnt work, there only contribution is taxes on good purchased

Banned
Participation Meter
#9 Report User
Posted:

*their

MVP
Participation Meter
#10 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:

This has been posted before and it's always a great topic of discussion.  To exclusively blame the populous is inaccurate and shortsighted.  You have corporations outsourcing jobs for maximum profits and paying no import taxes on the Made in China junk they sell back to jobless Americans.  While this keeps inflation in check, it also cripples the ability of government to collect and sustain sufficient tax revenue in the coffers. 

Corporate welfare is just as dangerous as any other welfare and trickle down economics becomes voodoo mathematics when there are no blue collar jobs.  Yes, many of us are creative and resourceful and take advantage of self employment opportunities as well as manage investments.  But many more people cannot for various reasons.

Now throw in an aging population of baby boomers counting on a bankrupt social security system and you can see that the fun is just beginning.  Hold on, it's going to be a rough ride.

No matter how many times you try explaining that to some groups of guys, they just dont get it.
Everything starts with jobs and branches out from there.
You dont gotta be a rocket scientist to figure out what is happening and only gonna get worse, if every year you have less jobs, while having an increased population. My God this is a no brainer, that any 3rd grade kid could tell you whats gonna happen.

We did it to ourselves by letting the politicians {democrats and republicans } sell us out to the big corporations, by letting them get away with this crap. Only God knows how much money is really going into all of these politicians underground stash

Covers Linesmen
Participation Meter
#11 Report User
Posted:

So when are you going to pop out crickets as the newest catch phrase?

Banned
Participation Meter
#12 Report User
Posted:

Legend
Participation Meter
#13 Report User
Posted:

LQQKs   like someone is under surveillance .......

MVP
Participation Meter
#14 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

It should be soon, guys like him can contain themselves and will slip up, as hard as they try not to

MVP
Participation Meter
#15 Report User
Posted:

Covers political forum must be popular out there on the political scene for a person to find Covers, and make 95 percent of their posts in that forum  Thats some amazing stats and wonder if any news organizations will interview anybody here

Covers Linesmen
Participation Meter
#16 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael99:

This is not totally true. In some countries people pay taxes because they know it goes to public schools, hospitals, free health care, pensions and such.

Then there is USA.........................................

so i understand...i need to pay more in taxes to fund schools in which i have no children, hospitals which i do not use, free healthcare (of which i buy my own) and pensions for jobs i do not have

sounds good. please justify the morality in stealing 40% of my income to pay for shit i dont need or want

thanks

J_Galt -  go read Fransisc D'Anconia's money speech to find the root of all evil in this country and why it started in 1913

Banned
Participation Meter
#17 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

My guess is probably after the phrase 'Covers knows' dies down.

That could be a few years out because that phrase is so damn good.

Covers Linesmen
Participation Meter
#18 Report User
Posted:

Koaj,

Move to a lower tax zip code, there are many in NJ and through the country.

The selfish approach you have if shared with all of society would lead to a very unfortunate outcome.

Schools you used, hospitals you will use, pensions are retirement benefits for others in society..you too could have a pension and will one day retire.

All the examples of things which you feel slighted about are misguided. 

I know of some real cheap property in Puerto Penasco where the tax rates are near zero and the Sea of Cortez is muy bueno this time of year.

MVP
Participation Meter
#19 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by KOAJ:

so i understand...i need to pay more in taxes to fund schools in which i have no children, hospitals which i do not use, free healthcare (of which i buy my own) and pensions for jobs i do not have

sounds good. please justify the morality in stealing 40% of my income to pay for shit i dont need or want

thanks

J_Galt -  go read Fransisc D'Anconia's money speech to find the root of all evil in this country and why it started in 1913

KOAJ, you really arent serious with this post again are you?
Do you really think you will never need a hospital? Nobody in your family has ever needed a hospital?  Why are you paying for insurance right now?  Theres no law saying you have to have insurance, so dump it.  And please dont tell me it saves you on your taxes, because thats BS. you must keep medical insurance because you feel you might need it and dont want to pay cash for anything that happens.

As far as all the things you supposedly are paying for, that you dont use.  Am sorry but you use more things then what you seem to think. Your roads wont get plowed by themselves, that water you drink wont get treated by itself, criminals wont be taken off the streets by themselves as just a few examples of things you use daily, but seem to not realize for some reason.
In the type of society we live in, everything cant have every person paying for each thing on their own. I guess you feel since you dont you havent needed a cop, why should you pay for one. I guess you havent figured out you might not need one, because theya re out their working for you.
Honestly you got a messed up vision of how you want society.If our country followed your ideas, we would be in complete and total chaos, with 100's and 100's of murders taking place daily.
If you want to live your life and not pay for living in a civilized modern society, there are tons of third world countries that have all the things in life you dont want to pay for. So why are you packing up your bags and moving to one of those places, and then you can keep all the money you earn?  I dont get it, you have a internet business, should be able to move it anywhere.

I really dont know where you have got all these ideas about how society, but am sure you wouldnt like to live in your vision.

As for the pensions, every job in the country cant be, somebody owning their own business. Lots of jobs that need to be done to make society function need to be done by workers and the pensions those workers get, is just part of their whole pay package.

Maybe you should get out of owning your own business and go to work for a company, that will provide you with a pay package of vacation days, medical insurance, pension or 401k plan for providing your labor to the company.
Like i said every job cant be just be 1 person owning their own business.

Thank God, you werent in charge when our country was being built, because we probably still wont have any roads or running water in our houses

Stop pissing your life away constantly thinking about this stuff, either that or you have to leave our society for a different one.

And no i dont like paying school taxes either, not having any kids in school, but if we used your method of paying school taxes, there would be millions of kids who would never get an education and would instead become criminals to survive in life and since we dont have cops on the streets per your vision of society, things would get ugly really fast.

Now print this out and read it everyday

Covers Linesmen
Participation Meter
#20 Report User
Posted:

cd - my post and ideas in what you referenced equates to liberty or rather the absence of coercion. everything you posted below justifies the government sticking a gun in my back and taking whatever they need if the mobocracy (51%) demands it. what you describe is not a free society

re: pensions...its a ponzi. i'm sorry but it is. you cannot assume 8% rate of return and get it. almost all pension plans do

i was referencing mikael's post about using tax money to pay for hospitals. fyi, when we needed a hospital in the last few years it was done at a private religious hospital that doesnt take a dime of taxpayer money. my expense was covered by the private health insurance that i carry for my family (very expensive)

re schools: if you are free to choose your food, your landscaper, your clothing, why shouldnt you be free to choose your children's school? instead you are forced by zip code and teachers union to go to a certain school. do you only eat at restaurants in your town or can you open a kitchen drawer and find take out menus from 100 restaurants within a 10 mile radius

education is a product like everything else bought in the marketplace yet when government takes it over, it demands you pay for services you may or may not need and charges above market rates because the elected officials are in cahoots with the public employees bargaining against you. there is no right to it, just like there is no right to health insurance (health care is going for a job every morning and not eating mcdonalds)

Covers Linesmen
Participation Meter
#21 Report User
Posted:

Koaj,

The open school system exists here, so bring the kids down here and they can enjoy the lower tax base and cruddy education system..but hey you can go to any school in the metro area!

I currently lug the kiddo to a different district every day because we researched the demographics and stats for the area, found a nice middle class school with a good history and just deal with the 10 minute commute. 

If you dislike public schools and property tax then you can move, OR you can rent..then put kids in private schools, a win/win for everyone.

Your comments about the pension "ponzi" are wrong. The assumptions of return are made because the system does not want to properly FUND the pension..so they throw on some unreasonable rate of return rather than fund it properly from the start. Pensions are not ponzis if they are funded properly as they go.

Using your logic, any leverage or debt is a ponzi, so if a company does not use 100% cash for all assets then their business is founded on a ponzi. Pensions do not have to be leveraged like they are, just like business do not. If you are jealous of a pension, then go and get a masters degree and work for the education system. I am 100% positive you would find it to be a more difficult job and worthy of reasonable benefits..

Perspective is an interesting concept..

Banned
Participation Meter
#22 Report User
Posted:

Hard to argue with post 20.

I certainly believe in school vouchers.

If I have a choice in restaurant, schools, hospitals, dentists etc., I want the 1 that best suits me.

I should not have to use the 1 that best suits my neighbors.

1 size DOES NOT fit all

Captain
Participation Meter
#23 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by KOAJ:

education is a product like everything else bought in the marketplace 

What a terribly misguided mentality. 

Unless of course, you perceive the primary role of education and healthcare services is to make a profit, instead of properly educating people, and providing them with healthcare.

As an aside...

Denmark was just named #1 in the world 'happiness' rankings 

Legend
Participation Meter
#24 Report User
Posted:

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoD69:

As an aside...

Denmark was just named #1 in the world 'happiness' rankings 

That's because in countries like Denmark, Norway, Finland and the Netherlands the majority of the population are all from the same tribe........

Banned
Participation Meter
#25 Report User
Posted:

@#23

I think the point that KOAJ is making is " properly educated" may not happen unless he has the right to send his kids where he wants.

If his zip code is in South Central, his children most likely will not get the same level of education as his kids would if his zip code was in beverly hills.

As far as Denmark beng the happiest place, recently I donated a bunch of money and time to the special olympics, I can't imagine anybody having more joy and happiness ithan those children
First << 1 of 3 >> Last
Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View