Phillies Agree To Sign Jonathan Papelbon

First Prev 2 of 2 Next Last
The Hawk
MVP Participation Meter
MVP Participation Meter
Posted:
Quote #16

Seems like a quick signing. Not even two weeks after the Series? Don't know what to read into that. Maybe Pap wanted to get the hell outta Boston pronto? I mean, if you think the Boston press is bad, welcome to Philly.........

Of course, he can cry all the way to the bank. Just don't understand why he didn't make a West Coast tour or something. Not even a word of him talking to another club.

Sparky10191
Legend Participation Meter
Posted:
Quote #17

A few things about Pap.

Peter Gammons reports that the Red Sox offered Papelbon to the Braves for Javy Vazquez but the Braves declined and then made the deal with the Yankees.

Also...

According to "wins above replacement", Pap has been the most valuable reliever over the last 5 seasons with a 14.7 raiting.

I don't look into that nonsense, though. I think most of these sabermetrics are a bunch of crap. I mean there's even a sabermetric out there that says that a runner who reaches base on an error brings more value to a team than a guy who reaches base on a single. Really? Who comes up with this shit?

browndog
Veteran Participation Meter
Veteran Participation Meter
Posted:
Quote #18

the red sox want madson to be the closer provided the money is right

imo i think they will settle and sign h.bell

red sox have other priorities rightly or wrongly

imo bard aint the ideal closer - h.bell would be perfect though

paplebon is a good closer no doubt but at that money 4 years 50 million you need to be a stud closer which he definetly aint

Agent-002
Prospect Participation Meter
Posted:
Quote #19

Jonathan Papelbon > > >  

Phillies > > > > SUCKERS

hahahha hahahah haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-a--a-a-a-

Agent-002
Posted:
Quote #20
U -that thursty for some baseball Sparky
HutchEmAll
Posted:
Quote #21

NL tends to make former AL pitchers look good. 

jsab
Captain Participation Meter
Captain Participation Meter
Posted:
Quote #22
Don't like it either. I'm asssuming Boras was asking for the moon and Madson only has 1 yr experience as a fulltime closer. I had rather looked for aHeath Bell type and use some mony on a bat like Cuddyear.
Sparky10191
Posted:
Quote #23

QUOTE Originally Posted by Agent-002:
U -that thursty for some baseball Sparky

I've been thirsty since the end of the world series.

Sparky10191
Posted:
Quote #24

QUOTE Originally Posted by jsab:
Don't like it either. I'm asssuming Boras was asking for the moon and Madson only has 1 yr experience as a fulltime closer. I had rather looked for aHeath Bell type and use some mony on a bat like Cuddyear.

Heyman explains the mess that was the Phillies' negotiations with Madson.  He says Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. proposed $44MM over four years, which Madson accepted an hour or two later.  Oddly, Amaro added at that point that he needed the approval of CEO David Montgomery, according to Heyman.  The next day Amaro told agent Scott Boras he'd been unable to get that approval.  However, Amaro told Heyman there was no agreement "either verbal or in writing," and also said, "I will stand by my history of integrity forever."  Amaro also said Montgomery was aware of the negotiations as they occurred and wasn't responsible for killing the deal.  It appears Amaro and Boras are not on the same page as to what constitutes an agreement.

Iveycheats
Banned Participation Meter
Posted:
Quote #25
sadly, I believe Boras
Loo-Loo
Posted:
Quote #26
The joke is on the Phillies
Loo-Loo
Posted:
Quote #27
Papelbon is a good grab.  Going to help the phillies.  I'm just jealous because I'm a Mets fan.
First Prev 2 of 2 Next Last
Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View