Recent Posts

Thread Author bhawks2391 Post Entries
bhawks2391
bhawks2391

Quote Originally Posted by LRM704:

and I would assume you won’t be missed by Heritage

 

Nope I'm sure I won't be missed by them. I was a major pain in theis azzzz and I exposed them for the fraud company they are. If I was the person / company behind a scam company, I wouldn't want myself as a"customer" either... moron

bhawks2391
bhawks2391

Quote Originally Posted by Uman:

QUOTE Originally Posted by bhawks2391: Update*******I finally received my check from heritage 3 days ago (a little over one month to get my money after my initial payout request). I deposited the check right away and looks like it cleared. I'm going to give it another couple days then planning on closing on my account and moving on.  They still have yet to address the $228 in fees they just removed from my account from some random western union back in 2015.  The ironic part in all of this is I'm designated as an "internet only account"YET they had somebody from their customer service department call my cell phone about "today's action in college hoops and how I would get a bonus of 20% if I deposited with them today". I explained to the individual who called me about the situation with my payout and fee and he said " he would look into it"... I'm not holding my breath. I'm just happy to get my $$$$$ from this seedy company.  a friend suggested another site and I can already tell it's much better.   feeling relieved   WHO?

HUH? Read what I wrote. Heritage is an awful sports book. I'm so glad to be done with them

bhawks2391
bhawks2391

Update*******I finally received my check from heritage 3 days ago (a little over one month to get my money after my initial payout request). I deposited the check right away and looks like it cleared. I'm going to give it another couple days then planning on closing on my account and moving on.  They still have yet to address the $228 in fees they just removed from my account from some random western union back in 2015.  The ironic part in all of this is I'm designated as an "internet only account"YET they had somebody from their customer service department call my cell phone about "today's action in college hoops and how I would get a bonus of 20% if I deposited with them today". I explained to the individual who called me about the situation with my payout and fee and he said " he would look into it"... I'm not holding my breath. I'm just happy to get my $$$$$ from this seedy company.  a friend suggested another site and I can already tell it's much better.  

feeling relieved sleep2 

bhawks2391
bhawks2391

22 days.......F#@$$$$$CCCCCCKKKKKKK. so furious. Heritage Sports sucks so bad!!! Horrible company I hope anyone who opens new sports account will read this thread. the completely fuk with people. Total joke to get your money out

bhawks2391
bhawks2391

Quote Originally Posted by regalbailey:

There is plenty wrong with HERITAGE. Only suckers do not know this.

 

It's amazing most people don't know this. How are they still ranked on SPR as #4 best sportsbook? It seems like a giant Ponzi scheme. I really hope people think long and hard before sending any more money to this sheeetyazz company 

bhawks2391
bhawks2391

You're so right, Regal! Joane12 is probably another troll that's getting paid by heritage. These POS have no sense of customer service and literally just like to screw with people when they see fit. 21 days and still no check or money from heritage. Their official response is there still within the business day timeframe. Anybody who supports this company I would seriously question their motives. You can't escalate anything via live chat because it's probably just the same person. How can you resolve anything on these live chats when they just keep regurgitating the same information over and over again to you? I'm so over this company!!! If I had any real money tied up in this company I would be scared sheeetless right now.  They are either going bankrupt or just took a major hit. 

bhawks2391
bhawks2391

Quote Originally Posted by On_Edge:

Heritage has gone downhill for a while now.  Their customer service is horrible and the strange thing is they used to be great in that area.  I guarantee you they're losing c
Quote Originally Posted by On_Edge:

Heritage has gone downhill for a while now.  Their customer service is horrible and the strange thing is they used to be great in that area.  I guarantee you they're losing customers.
ustomers.

 

Yea clearly! I am just hoping I get my payout I can walk away from this. It's really a shame that we don't have much recourse to deal with these companies because of the jurisdictions that they're in. 19 days and counting....

bhawks2391
bhawks2391

BTW my mail has come for the day and still no check from heritage.  18 days and counting......

bhawks2391
bhawks2391

"

 

I have no stake in this game but why on earth would you threaten or inform them that you will close your account while they still have your money?  That's like the #1 thing you could have done to put a target on your back to get screwed over by a company that operates in a different jurisdiction, and that you have very little if any recourse over if they do in fact decide to screw you."

DCP1985, you hit the nail on the head! I couldn't agree with you more. It was a very silly move on my part to threaten to do that ( I sincerely regret that I took that course of action). Nevertheless, don't you think it's ridiculous that they would screw around with your money even in the event if you decided to threaten to close your account? Just seems so silly that you would have to deal with such a company with unethical business practices like that. There has to be a better option out there

 

bhawks2391
bhawks2391

Exactly golden turd.  They were claiming the western union was from 2015. ( go back and read dumbo).

 

 

bhawks2391
bhawks2391

"AZZHOLE ALERT"

 

What's wrong Golden Goose?? Is this the first time somebody has accused you of being a troll for Heritage Sports?

It just seems very odd that you're defending them with such high honor and dignity when you don't even know the details of what occurred. Your response seems to be the same of people who work for a company do on Glassdoor.

new_sweating1 

bhawks2391
bhawks2391

"I'm guessing you're the impatient fukk type who instigated a second withdrawal skrewing up the original."

 

You're wrong again you golden turd. I like to work off of facts and not assumptions 

 Fact: Payout request via check from heritage sportsbook on 2/23/17 for $2300. I received the money on 2/28/17.

 Fact: Payout request via check from heritage sportsbook on 3/15/17 for $2000. I received the money on 3/21/17.

 Fact: Payout request via check from heritage sportsbook on 4/18/17 for $1800. I received the money on 4/24/17.

 Fact: Payout request via check from heritage sportsbook on 8/23/17 for $3200. I received the money on 8/30/17.

 Fact: Payout request via check from heritage sportsbook on 9/12/17 for $2300. I received the money on 9/18/17

 Fact: Payout request via check from heritage sportsbook on 11/2/17 for $3000. Fact I find out they took out $227 from my account for a random Western Union processing fee. Fact I brought this up to the people at Heritage Sports and inform them that they had the wrong account and I knew nothing of this. They claimed it was from a Western Union that was kicked back in December of 2015. I told them I was going to be closing my account when I got my check back from them if they didn't refund my $227.

Fact it's November 19 and I still don't have my check from Heritage Sports.

Fact the Golden Goose is a troll and works for Heritage Sports

bhawks2391
bhawks2391

That's an interesting response Golden Goose. It's as if you almost have a vested interest in Heritage Sportsbooklie

I have made five withdrawal requests via check over the past 12 months. Every time I have received my check less than 7 days total ( not business days). The one time I have a problem and bring it up to the powers to be at Heritage Sports, they're 10 days past the normal timeframe. Riddle Me That Sherlock. 

 

You might be right about the live chat as I'm not a huge gambler and not on a lot of different sites, so I'm not accustomed to the "norm". 

 

All I know is Heritage Sportsbook is a bunch of scumbags. Sounds like you might be one yourself.

bhawks2391
bhawks2391

 so it's become abundantly clear to me that Heritage Sportsbook is completely screwing with me. I requested a check for a payout 17 days ago and still haven't received my money. The latest response from Heritage Sports on my money was 

"As for the payout we are still withing the time which is of 10-15 business days"

My account is designated to "online only" so when I call in and to speak talk anybody over the phone, their only response is please use our live chat feature.  It's so unreal and I'm livid. I suspect they're specifically targeting me because I brought up a flaw to their system over a month back and posted on here and then got into it with somebody on Via live chat.

Needless to say, if I ever do get my money from this company back, as soon as the check clears I will be closing my account with them.

Does anybody have suggestions on a new Sportsbook I could put my money into? I usually will wire $500 to $1,000 at a time.  Just looking for a Sportsbook that will pay out when they say they will and won't have to deal with Shady companies like this.

thanks in advance!

 

 

bhawks2391
bhawks2391
Is anybody else having trouble with Heritage sports-book? I made a withdrawal request from them today in the amount of $3000. I checked my account and hour ago and it looks like the request went through but they also took an additional $227 from my payout request. When I asked for an explanation (via live chat because they wont speak to you on the phone about this because "my account is an internet only account", their explanation was it was from a western union transaction that didn't process back in December of 2015. When I asked for further explanation via live chat they couldn't provide any additional details.  I have had several payouts in the past with this company and they did this in the past and recouped the money and now they said it appears i still owe this money. I feel lost at dealing with them via live chat and feel like I'm being completely scammed out of $227 with no explanation. Has anybody else experienced something similar? my thought is if they're doing this to me then they are doing it to other customers. if anybody has heard or experienced something similar please please respond to this thread. i feel completely helpless and don't know what else i can do but to post to social media and pray somebody else will see this and have experienced something similar. thank you
bhawks2391
bhawks2391
Is anybody else having trouble with Heritage sports-book? I made a withdrawal request from them today in the amount of $3000. I checked my account and hour ago and it looks like the request went through but they also took an additional $227 from my payout request. When I asked for an explanation (via live chat because they wont speak to you on the phone about this because "my account is an internet only account", their explanation was it was from a western union transaction that didn't process back in December of 2015. When I asked for further explanation via live chat they couldn't provide any additional details.  I have had several payouts in the past with this company and they did this in the past and recouped the money and now they said it appears i still owe this money. I feel lost at dealing with them via live chat and feel like I'm being completely scammed out of $227 with no explanation. Has anybody else experienced something similar? my thought is if they're doing this to me then they are doing it to other customers. if anybody has heard or experienced something similar please please respond to this thread. i feel completely helpless and don't know what else i can do but to post to social media and pray somebody else will see this and have expericed somthing similar. thank you
Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View