Recent Posts

Thread Author seanjohn007 Post Entries
glyde69
glyde69
id be curious what the numbers would say if a statistician ran the numbers to see probability of outcomes
glyde69
glyde69
yes once they were inside the 10 they should have let them score. if they would have had a minute left then i would understand playing it out
Crashdavis565
Crashdavis565
A friend of mine went to a party there, also seen a couple of pictures on instagram. Seems to be even crazier then you can imagine 
Derr021
Derr021
Quote Originally Posted by derr021:

Another question, online books post CFB lines at like 4 on Sunday for the next week, do they also do that in Vegas and are people there waiting to bet them as soon as they come out? Numbers like that can move very fast

I just got back from vegas, spent sunday at Palazzo. The lines for next week were up as soon as the 4pm games started on sunday. However I can't say there was any line, a couple people but they were mostly looking for 2h bets 
rae1978
rae1978
Investments / Real estate / View Post
I am a real estate agent in California, I really wish I could help you more with fine details, but this is a very specialized area. I can however verify that the above post is true. Also the one time I talked to a bank about a no money down purchase they said it was virtually impossible, in most cases you need 20% down. Something people used to do is get an 80/20 loan on a property, but then go to  another bank to get a loan for the remaining 20%, well thats not possible anymore and part of the reason we had a crash in the beginning. 
examine
examine
he stopped wearing 23 because its a retired number in miami. if he's smart hell stick with 6 when he gets back to cleveland 
CountCrisco
CountCrisco
don't they have a roof on center court?
vanzack
vanzack
I would also add Belgium goalie to that list. This was the first loss of his career, and i haven't seen a goal go in that could be blamed on him 
PapaShango
PapaShango
Quote Originally Posted by jwant99:

would anyone mind explaining this bet. if its 0-0 @ half, bet lost? 

yes. Netherlands has to be winning at half time and after 90 minutes to win the bet 
mikebdb
mikebdb
Quote Originally Posted by Professional00:



It is true that the german-american players on the team are from U.S. military personal in Germany starting families over their. All 5 of the those players were born from under U.S. military, Julian Green being born in Tampa but living in Germany. I don't know why all of a sudden though this is becoming an issue since every team has dual citizenship players and we have had players in the past that have been also.

To me is not an issue as to if they should be allowed to play for us. I think it just goes to show how much better they are at developing players in europe. 
mikebdb
mikebdb
For the record I don't think the German connection is related to Klinsmann. I believe it is related to the military presence there, so the parents are real American citizens. 

I could be wrong but this is what I always thought. 
mikebdb
mikebdb
Quote Originally Posted by Rush51:

Agree with you there on many points,  seanjohn... Great points.   Yes, I also view Bradley far better with his vision and finding his forwards, rather than his dribbling skills.   (Hell it lost the Portugal Game)...  

Also, good observation about the Germans that are being brought into our U.S.  squad... and this really gets me going on something.    This is a red flag for American Soccer in its current state.  JK is basically saying the MLS and other preparation is far inferior to what is going on overseas in Europe.  Most already know this, but for JK to "tap this talent"  instead of bringing up "homegrown talent" just doesn't sit right.  He's basically saying he can't win with U.S. talent in a global game.... so he will bring players in.  

  Yes, we all want to win... but at what cost.     I expect more of this trend to occur over the next 4 years .


Its true, but I don't have a problem with that, it happens all over the world with pretty much every team. 

Instead of pushing them away I think we should still take them, but understand why they are better. Learn from them and implement it in our own junior programs. The obvious reasons are that they are neutered from a much younger age, not babied, and allowed to play against the best at all times. 

As long as they are true american citizens I have no problem with them playing for our team, its players that have access to 6 different teams because some ancestor spent a weekend there on vacation that I have a problem with. 
mikebdb
mikebdb
Quote Originally Posted by zamigo6:


While I only participated on the men's side of things, I grew up playing for a club that has a reknowned women's program, and I can wager a guess that has to do with our cultural acceptance of women participating in athletics is stronger than in many other places. We have a larger "pool" so to speak. While other countries are growing in that department I imagine it is still less culturally prominent in other countries. 

On a side note the women's game is a completely different sport, on a youth team if a girl is taller and faster than the others, she might average a hat trick a game. It just doesn't work like that in the men's game. I don't mean to put down the women's game but there certain attributes are more prevalent in the women's game than are prevalent in the men's and vice versa. 

From an entirely different vantage point, we have title 9 laws that require equal economic investment goes into women's sports programs as men's. I'd be shocked if this was the case in other countries. At my college for example, there was a men's football team that had a lot of scholarships. Even though the men's soccer team was nationally ranked at the time, and the women's program was struggling to have an above 500 season each year, the women's team had far more scholarships then the men's because of these laws. When more scholarships are offered to girls coming out of high school, more parents are pushing the training of their girls and trying to get them on better teams etc. I'd be surprised if it worked this way in other countries...

spot on explanation here. 

I can also say the women playing now were motivated by watching the women win the 99 world cup. Chastain making that penalty and the support of the nation pushed a lot of young girls that way. That was attention no other women's team/sport had ever received before.  
mikebdb
mikebdb
Quote Originally Posted by Rush51:

This is a great point and was so apparent to me in watching all that I was able to (2nd half regulation only)  Howard had to make ridiculous saves just for U.S. to stay in the game.  I didn't understand the tactics of giving away the midfield and settling in the defensive third.  It was conceded way too easy to the Belgians.  Worse yet, the counter-attacks for U.S.  typically amounted to nothing as Belgians easily got back.   It seemed as though Belgium was  playing with 15 guys !!   They seemed everywhere. 

I didn't get the tactics played by JK in this game.   Build up the attack as you did in the Portugal game. 


US  doesn't have very many good possession guys in the midfield. Bradley is probably the best, but his vision is better then ball skills. We need a couple guys that can hold the ball in the midfield and beat one or two guys off the dribble. As of now their only play seems to be a ball over the top to one of the wingers, or a pass back to the defense. 

I will say the US is getting some great wingers in their system, even if their are from other countries (and all of our German guys were developed, not here). They really need to work on getting a couple strikers with killer instinct, and 2-3 guys who can keep the ball to their feet and beat someone before crossing it/playing the ball over the top. 

US really isn't far away, but it will be another generation or two before we can really talk about competing for a world cup. 
mikebdb
mikebdb
While I agree with you that the youth system needs help, I don't think the problem is winning like you say. I think the biggest problem with the US  is that we are born playing/watching 3-5 different sports, while the vast majority of europeans only play soccer and maybe one other sport for fun. 

You think all of the junior teams don't want to win, and all they care about is potential? Thats ridiculous, it kind of goes hand in hand. If your developing the best players you'll be developing one of the best teams which will equal wins. 

I didn't play in college but I did play for years as a junior, both on the state-club level and international tournaments. We had 4 odp players on our team and around 15 in the league. Knowing them personally I can say less than 5 were dedicated to soccer and the rest played baseball/basketball during those seasons. 

US soccer has to find a way to get these young players to dedicate themselves to soccer from a really early age. Instead of getting them in there at 12-14, get the best in there at 7 if possible like other countries. 

For people that don't know odp stands for olympic development program. It was set up to allow a select group of players the opportunity to practice and train with other players in front of professional coaches 
CountCrisco
CountCrisco
Quote Originally Posted by chillin1984:

Hey bro, what's Heritage? Congrats btw

Haritage sportsbook 
Pipe-Light
Pipe-Light
seriously ?

ochoa is a hell of a popular name, and the one related to drugs is not from mexico, he was colombian 
Gamboholics
Gamboholics
3/4 mean half of your wager is on .5 and the other half is on 1. you were paid correctly, half was a win and the other half was a push. sounds like terrible odds from your book though. 
weimar74
weimar74
Soccer / Cards / View Post
The problem with FIFA  is that become a group with so much corruption yet still has tons of tradition. Everyone was asking for goal line technology for years, but they didn't make the move until the rediculous England game. I think they will only institute systems for black and white issues, which goal line technology is, however I hope I'm wrong as diving is embarrassing 
weimar74
weimar74
Soccer / Cards / View Post
I believe there is a system in place, however I don't think they ever over turn the results. A couple of years ago a player got suspended for a game because of a terrible card, but fifa  defended their ref. I want to say it involved an Italy player 2-3 worlds cups ago, but couple be completely off base with that