Back-to-back draws has dropped Liverpool to second spot in the English Premier League table – and oddsmakers aren't sold on them surpassing Manchester City for the league title. Whether you're taking your first kick at the footy odds or an experienced bettor, we bring you the betting trends, tips and news to give you an edge for the action on the pitch.
But the powerhouse club are in great position for a bounce-back Saturday as they look to extend their incredible home point streak against woeful Bournemouth. Liverpool are unbeaten in their previous 33 home games in EPL play, and are -450 to secure the three points this weekend; they're also +125 to win the league title, second to Man City (-138). Bournemouth have lost seven straight away matches and are +1,200 for Saturday's game.
Plenty of Work to Do
Napoli took a big step last time out in its quest to close the enormous gap between themselves and Juventus – but the Serie A powers have more work to do as they travel to Artemio Franchi Stadium for a weekend encounter with Fiorentina. Napoli (-110) gained two points on Juventus last week, but still sit nine points back of the table leaders and are +1,400 to win the league crown. And they've gained points in 10 of their previous 11 head-to-head meetings with Fiorentina (+300), who have seen six or more total goals scored in three of their past four games – so bettors should monitor the total in this one.
The battle for Madrid supremacy has been incredibly even over the past 15 months – and oddsmakers like that trend to continue Saturday as Atletico Madrid host Real Madrid. The latest showdown between the teams takes on added significance this time around, with second-place Atletico (+137) sitting just two points ahead of Real (+210) in the overall La Liga standings. The teams have battled to a 90-minute draw in each of their previous four meetings, putting the tie (+225) in play here. They've also been even at half-time and full-time in each of their past four encounters, as well.
Monchengladbach a Menace at Home
Elite teams are expected to be adept at picking up points at home – but Borussia Monchengladbach have been one of the best in European domestic soccer as they look to trim the gap between themselves and table-leading Borussia Dortmund when they host Hertha Berlin this weekend. Monchengladbach (-175) come in having won 12 consecutive league matches at Borussia-Park, and have outscored the opposition 25-3 in their nine home games so far this season. Hertha Berlin (+450) rank ninth in the table, but have struggled with just one victory over their previous seven league tilts.
- Will Huddersfield Town end their miserable goalless drought this weekend? Bettors will be keeping a close eye on the home side in Saturday's showdown with Arsenal, as Huddersfield come in having failed to score in their last four English Premier League matches. Arsenal are installed at +125 to extend Huddersfield's goal drought this weekend.
- Draw trends are often longshot plays – but Burnley offer a decent opportunity for tie bettors to earn a nice profit. Burnley have been drawing at both half- and full-time in each of their previous three league matches. The draw-draw play for Burnley's Saturday home showdown with Brighton is priced at an appealing +350.
- Parma are whopping +425 underdogs for this weekend's Serie A match against Inter Milan (-150) – but considering how the visitors have played of late, there might be an opportunity for bettors to pounce. Inter have gone without a goal in three straight games, while Parma have scored two or more goals in their last three league matches.
- The conditions are ripe for a Sampdoria shutout this weekend as the eighth-place club in Serie A host Frosinone. Sampdoria have held opponents goalless in each of their previous three home matches in league play, while Frosinone have been blanked in six of eight games. The Sampdoria clean sheet is priced at -110.
- Sticking with the clean sheet theme, Sevilla are well-positioned to extend their incredible home shutout run as they welcome Eibar to Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan Stadium on Sunday. Sevilla come into this one having recorded four consecutive home shutouts against Eibar in all competitions, and are listed at a tempting +175 to keep Eibar off the scoresheet again.
- Betting on Barcelona can be boring at times, so wagerers need to get creative to generate a decent return – and this weekend offers a solid opportunity as the La Liga leaders visit Athletic Bilbao. Barca have been leading at half-time and full-time in four straight away matches, and are installed at +160 to continue that trend on Sunday.
- Hannover fans haven't had much of anything to cheer about heading into Saturday's Bundesliga meeting with Nurnburg. The host side has gone without a goal in five consecutive league matches at HDI Arena, outscored by a whopping 11-0 margin in that stretch. But the oddsmakers like that trend to end this weekend, pricing a Nurnburg clean sheet at +275.
- With most of the above plays focused on teams that are struggling to score, Borussia Dortmund and Hoffenheim are primed for a Saturday slugfest at Signal Iduna Park. Dortmund have scored two or more goals in 10 straight home matches, while Hoffenheim have gone over the 2.5 goal total in eight of nine away games. The over-3.5-goal option for this one is set at -110.
- Manchester United are close to retaining veteran Ashley Young. The versatile 33-year-old is set to sign a one-year extension with the club he joined from Aston Villa back in 2011. Young has appeared in 20 of 25 Premier League games for Arsenal, who sit sixth in the table and are installed at +300 to wind up in the top four at season's end.
- Dortmund will have a gigantic hole to fill this weekend after learning that super-scorer Marco Reus is considered doubtful for Sunday's game vs. Hoffenheim with a thigh injury. Reus has scored in each of his previous four games with Dortmund and is a decent +600 option to finish as the top goal-scorer in the Bundesliga this season.