Messages

Forum Index : College Football : Messages Page 1 of 2  1 2  
Author: [College Football] Topic: Texas at Texas Tech (09/18/2010)
Covers send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Pinnacle Sports |
Covers
Participation Meter
Covers Referee
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 61
Location: Ireland
#1
Posted: 9/12/2010 2:26:11 AM

Away:  Texas [0-2 ATS]
Home:  Texas Tech [1-1 ATS]

Game Time: 8:00 PM
Stadium: Jones AT&T Stadium

Recent Meetings:
09/19/09 - TXTCH 24 vs. TEXAS 34
11/01/08 - TEXAS 33 vs. TXTCH 39
11/10/07 - TXTCH 43 vs. TEXAS 59

Team Leaders:

Texas:
Passing: Garrett Gilbert (394)
Rushing: Foswhitt Whittaker (113)
Receiving: Mike Davis (104)

Texas Tech:
Passing: Taylor Potts (652)
Rushing: Baron Batch (84)
Receiving: Lyle Leong (217)

More:
Live Odds
In-Depth Matchup Information
Consensus Betting Information

quote
CollegeSharp send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
CollegeSharp
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2714
Location: Texas
#2
Posted: 9/13/2010 3:19:45 PM
Texas -3 WOW! to say the least... Texas has the defensive line and DB's to keep T. Tech in check... IDK if I can say the same for T. Tech's "D". 
quote
Irisheyez
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Irisheyez
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3409
Location: Indiana
#3
Posted: 9/14/2010 9:31:46 AM
Texas hasn't impressed me at all......especially since they cost me money the last two weeks not covering cupcakes..........but 3 points???  That seems like a little over reaction from the boys in the Desert??  Then again, maybe they see what I do......the worst Texas team on offense in the last half decade.  I'll probably bang the Irish in the 8 o'clock spot instead of touching this one.  If I do play this, it will be in a small 3 team, dog parlay during the night games. 
quote
stoltz send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
stoltz
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 94
Location:
#4
Posted: 9/14/2010 12:31:07 PM
Careful.  Mack Brown was using the Rice and Wyoming games to try to work on his running game (which still isn't there).  Once he let Gilbert Garrett's arm loose, the Texas offense was a completely different team and easily rolled up points.  Also, the talk is that Texas wanted to keep the playbook closed until the game vs. Tech.

Tech, on the other hand, seemed shaky vs. SMU.  Had SMU not turned the ball over, Tech's win may have even been in jeopardy.

Granted, TTech seems to play Texas exceptionally tough at home no matter where the teams are ranked.  I look for TTech to come out with an early lead, due to their home fans, and Texas to start slow.  Probably 17-10 or 21-10 TTech at halftime.  But then Texas will find their rythym in the 2H and shut down TTech's offense in the process.  Something like Texas 34 TTech 24 as a final score.
quote
monsoon send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
monsoon
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 48
Location: Texas
#5
Posted: 9/14/2010 1:53:07 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by stoltz:

Careful.  Mack Brown was using the Rice and Wyoming games to try to work on his running game (which still isn't there).  Once he let Gilbert Garrett's arm loose, the Texas offense was a completely different team and easily rolled up points.  Also, the talk is that Texas wanted to keep the playbook closed until the game vs. Tech.

Tech, on the other hand, seemed shaky vs. SMU.  Had SMU not turned the ball over, Tech's win may have even been in jeopardy.

Granted, TTech seems to play Texas exceptionally tough at home no matter where the teams are ranked.  I look for TTech to come out with an early lead, due to their home fans, and Texas to start slow.  Probably 17-10 or 21-10 TTech at halftime.  But then Texas will find their rythym in the 2H and shut down TTech's offense in the process.  Something like Texas 34 TTech 24 as a final score.

 

completely agree.........

quote
monsoon send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
monsoon
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 48
Location: Texas
#6
Posted: 9/14/2010 1:53:50 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by stoltz:

Careful.  Mack Brown was using the Rice and Wyoming games to try to work on his running game (which still isn't there).  Once he let Gilbert Garrett's arm loose, the Texas offense was a completely different team and easily rolled up points.  Also, the talk is that Texas wanted to keep the playbook closed until the game vs. Tech.

Tech, on the other hand, seemed shaky vs. SMU.  Had SMU not turned the ball over, Tech's win may have even been in jeopardy.

Granted, TTech seems to play Texas exceptionally tough at home no matter where the teams are ranked.  I look for TTech to come out with an early lead, due to their home fans, and Texas to start slow.  Probably 17-10 or 21-10 TTech at halftime.  But then Texas will find their rythym in the 2H and shut down TTech's offense in the process.  Something like Texas 34 TTech 24 as a final score.

 

completely agree............

quote
Gunner10
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetJamaica.com |
Gunner10
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 607
Location: Maryland
#7
Posted: 9/14/2010 3:59:40 PM
I would go with Texas Tech but not getting enough points.
quote
hardly covers send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
hardly covers
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 528
Location: Texas
#8
Posted: 9/14/2010 4:32:26 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by stoltz:

Careful.  Mack Brown was using the Rice and Wyoming games to try to work on his running game (which still isn't there).  Once he let Gilbert Garrett's arm loose, the Texas offense was a completely different team and easily rolled up points.  Also, the talk is that Texas wanted to keep the playbook closed until the game vs. Tech.

Tech, on the other hand, seemed shaky vs. SMU.  Had SMU not turned the ball over, Tech's win may have even been in jeopardy.

Granted, TTech seems to play Texas exceptionally tough at home no matter where the teams are ranked.  I look for TTech to come out with an early lead, due to their home fans, and Texas to start slow.  Probably 17-10 or 21-10 TTech at halftime.  But then Texas will find their rythym in the 2H and shut down TTech's offense in the process.  Something like Texas 34 TTech 24 as a final score.

I think you hit this one right on the nail.  I think the line is at 3 only bc of the impression that Texas hasn't been dominating and this is where they suffered the last reg. season lost.  I'm picking the correct team that has the better defense like Sharp stated up there.

Horns-3

quote
johnobvious
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
johnobvious
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 519
Location: Nebraska
#9
Posted: 9/15/2010 5:08:55 PM
Public heavy on Texas but line stays at 3?  Give me Tech.  I'll take the better and more experienced QB at home.
quote
hardly covers send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
hardly covers
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 528
Location: Texas
#10
Posted: 9/15/2010 7:32:09 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by johnobvious:

Public heavy on Texas but line stays at 3?  Give me Tech.  I'll take the better and more experienced QB at home.

I'd agree with more experience but don't know about better ... only time will tell.

quote
johnobvious
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
johnobvious
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 519
Location: Nebraska
#11
Posted: 9/15/2010 10:06:33 PM

HC, the only time I am worried about is between now and Saturday.  Potts is better now and for this game and I don't think many people can dispute that.  Gilbert may outplay him and prove me wrong, but I smell big trap here.  And Potts has been through a lot of fire.  Gilbert has beaten Rice and Wyoming and Lubbock will be rocking.

quote
osu200200
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
osu200200
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1716
Location: Texas
#12
Posted: 9/16/2010 2:18:39 PM
QUOTE

Gilbert also almost beat Bama last year with with absolutely zero experience... Gilbert is much better than Potts. To be honest once I saw that Potts was starting this year over Sheffield I booked Tech as finishing last or 2nd to last in the big 12 south.

Originally Posted by johnobvious:

HC, the only time I am worried about is between now and Saturday.  Potts is better now and for this game and I don't think many people can dispute that.  Gilbert may outplay him and prove me wrong, but I smell big trap here.  And Potts has been through a lot of fire.  Gilbert has beaten Rice and Wyoming and Lubbock will be rocking.

quote
johnobvious
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
johnobvious
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 519
Location: Nebraska
#13
Posted: 9/16/2010 3:41:58 PM
almost beat bama, huh? he really tore them a new fool.  go ahead and hang your hat on that one.  bit of a homer? 
I'll take potts right now
quote
stoltz send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
stoltz
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 94
Location:
#14
Posted: 9/16/2010 3:52:56 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by johnobvious:

almost beat bama, huh? he really tore them a new fool.  go ahead and hang your hat on that one.  bit of a homer? 
I'll take potts right now


From what I've heard, so will Texas.  They seem to do better vs. a pocket-type passer like Potts.  Sheffield is more mobile and could pose more of a threat to the Texas defense.
quote
vue21849
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BookMaker |
vue21849
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3324
Location: South Carolina
#15
Posted: 9/16/2010 5:24:12 PM

 Not totally impressed by the Longhorn's lackluster play so far this season. I see this contest as extremely nip and tuck. If I had to play I'd take :

    Texas Tech   + 3    (1 unit)

quote
holtnt
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
holtnt
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 6588
Location: Kentucky
#16
Posted: 9/17/2010 2:37:20 PM

Texas and Texas Tech is arguably the most intriguing matchup this weekend.  Either of these teams can win this game so if anybody tells you they have an angle on this game is greatly exaggerating their prognosticating skills.

 

Vince Young, Michael Crabtree, Ricky Williams, Graham Harrell, Wes Welker and Mike Leach are not available for this weekends Big 12 South tilt.  This means that Mack Brown will be very conservative with the playbook with his sophomore quarterback who will be making his first start in Lubbock.  Thomas H. Tuberville will return to the conservative ways he displayed during his tenure as head coach of Auburn in fear of the most talented defense his Red Raiders have faced so far.

 

Both coaches will put a premium on field position and wait for the other to make a mistake.  Look for a low scoring defensive tussle with special teams probably deciding the outcome!

quote
echelon1
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
echelon1
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 335
Location: Texas
#17
Posted: 9/17/2010 3:30:08 PM

It's not so much who is better...Potts or Gilbert.  Even though I think Gilbert's talent at this moment is being grossly underrated in some of these comments.  The real decision is who would you rather have Potts vs. Texas pass def or Gilbert vs Texas Tech pass def?   New Mexico QB was 30/50 for 323 yards last week.  Yes, New Mexico.  Wow.   Texas has focused much heavier on the running game this year through 2 games.  I guarantee they will even that out in Lubbock.  And of the few times they spread out last week, Gilbert began to shred it up.  The kid can play and has been mistake-free this year so far, which is a huge thing if you have a strong defense.  

One last point, as a lifelong Texas fan I do understand the homefield advantage for this game is a serious factor.  The fans at Tech get them extremely pumped for this game.  This will be like a bowl game to them and Texas will have to match that intensity or close to it to win here.  If Texas sleepwalks as they did a few years ago here they will be in BIG trouble.  There is no chance Tech doesn't bring it all in this spot and fight to the end.  But if Texas comes to play hard-nosed football they will leave with a fairly close win...3-7 pts.   Gonna be a great game to reveal who these teams really are this year.   

quote
osu200200
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
osu200200
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1716
Location: Texas
#18
Posted: 9/17/2010 6:13:43 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by johnobvious:

almost beat bama, huh? he really tore them a new fool.  go ahead and hang your hat on that one.  bit of a homer? 
I'll take potts right now

did u even watch the bama game? once mccoy went out the entire world knew that the game was over, yet he managed to make it 21-24 with 6 minutes left in the game. then bama scored again, ut failed on a 4th down so bama got the ball with a minute left, and instead of kneeling, they ran up the score with a run.

lol, u go ahead and take potts. i have a lot of friends who graduated from tech who dislike potts just as much as i do. i can admit that he has looked good so far this year, but this is exactly what he did last year before facing real competition. sheffield would concern me and texas much more. lubbock is an extremely difficult place to play and texas has looked sluggish thus far, but mack has kept the playbook closed thus far and kept gilbert on a leash. expect him to be let loose this game if it is even necessary. 

 

 

quote
eaglej3 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
eaglej3
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 58
Location: Alabama
#19
Posted: 9/17/2010 9:17:35 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by hardly covers:

I think you hit this one right on the nail.  I think the line is at 3 only bc of the impression that Texas hasn't been dominating and this is where they suffered the last reg. season lost.  I'm picking the correct team that has the better defense like Sharp stated up there.

Horns-3


Has everybody forgotten who coached under Tubbs at Auburn?  Muschamp knows what Tubbs inside and out.  He will bring the wood on defense and shut down Tech.

Texas -3 
quote
holtnt
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
holtnt
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 6588
Location: Kentucky
#20
Posted: 9/17/2010 9:43:29 PM
QUOTE

OK...  But who are you picking?  Please advise!

 

 

Originally Posted by echelon1:

It's not so much who is better...Potts or Gilbert.  Even though I think Gilbert's talent at this moment is being grossly underrated in some of these comments.  The real decision is who would you rather have Potts vs. Texas pass def or Gilbert vs Texas Tech pass def?   New Mexico QB was 30/50 for 323 yards last week.  Yes, New Mexico.  Wow.   Texas has focused much heavier on the running game this year through 2 games.  I guarantee they will even that out in Lubbock.  And of the few times they spread out last week, Gilbert began to shred it up.  The kid can play and has been mistake-free this year so far, which is a huge thing if you have a strong defense.  

One last point, as a lifelong Texas fan I do understand the homefield advantage for this game is a serious factor.  The fans at Tech get them extremely pumped for this game.  This will be like a bowl game to them and Texas will have to match that intensity or close to it to win here.  If Texas sleepwalks as they did a few years ago here they will be in BIG trouble.  There is no chance Tech doesn't bring it all in this spot and fight to the end.  But if Texas comes to play hard-nosed football they will leave with a fairly close win...3-7 pts.   Gonna be a great game to reveal who these teams really are this year.   

quote
W8LIFTER send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BookMaker |
W8LIFTER
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5820
Location: Texas
#21
Posted: 9/18/2010 1:37:53 AM
TEXAS -3
quote
0ahuGrown send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Bellagio |
0ahuGrown
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 426
Location: Hawaii
#22
Posted: 9/18/2010 2:42:11 AM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by W8LIFTER:

TEXAS -3

im with you bro..... TEXAS -3

quote
lefty1209 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
lefty1209
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1220
Location: Connecticut
#23
Posted: 9/18/2010 10:05:09 AM
This ones over by halftime....Texas big!!!!!
quote
fastpitchdad send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
fastpitchdad
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1210
Location: Georgia
#24
Posted: 9/18/2010 10:55:01 AM
under 51
quote
hardly covers send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
hardly covers
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 528
Location: Texas
#25
Posted: 9/18/2010 4:59:57 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by lefty1209:

This ones over by halftime....Texas big!!!!!

Good to see that we're on the same side Lefty.

quote
Forum Index : College Football : Messages Page 1 of 2  1 2  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.