Messages

Forum Index : Penalty Box : Messages Page 12 of 21 «  10 11 12 13 14   »
Author: [Penalty Box] Topic: Based on how they are handling this case, I guess the police want 'race riots' in Florida
djs1975 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
djs1975
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 4492
Location: United States
#276
Posted: 3/22/2012 6:16:44 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by crod1980:



Over 95% of the U.S. population speaks English, but since the United States is the "Land of the Free" you are correct that there isn't an "Official" Language, but only 12 to 15% of the population of the United States speaks Spanish.

If in the United States you are considered "Hispanic" you are a minority in this country. I am not exactly sure what you keep making reference to the U.S. census for.

Hispanic is the more Politically correct term when referring to the ethnic origin of a generalized group of people that come from colonized Spanish countries. Those people in the United States are a minority.

If you are born in Spain you are considered Spanish or European. Pau Gasol is white because he is European.

all hispanic means is someone is descendant from a spanish speaking country, whether that of the colonizers or that of the colonized. by your logic then, anyone who speaks french or german or portuguese in america is also a minority. hispanic has no bearing on race. therefore, if you are saying that anyone who speaks spanish is a minority, certainly anyone who speaks french or german in the US is, since there are less speakers of those languages here than spanish speakers.

i refer to the US census because it proves my point. look at it an you will see that spaniard and (insert colonized nation here) are in the same category. race doesn't matter to the census takers in that case, it's about how many people speak the language so adaptations can be made.

it is unfortunate people think that hispanic automatically = brown, because that is clearly not the case. cameron diaz is part cuban and she's whiter than pau gasol! according to the US census, pau gasol is no less hispanic than rosario dawson. you may not like the title, you may not see him as hispanic because you have your own assumption of what a hispanic should be (brown), but per the census, anyone descended of a country in which spanish is the language is hispanic. read the census if you think i'm wrong. 
quote
djs1975 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
djs1975
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 4492
Location: United States
#277
Posted: 3/22/2012 6:30:26 PM
and for that matter, eastern europeans, arabs, north africans, west asians, and others are considerd JUST as "white" as western europeans (read: the colonizers) according to the US census. pau gasol is white because he is a spaniard. he is hispanic because he speaks spanish. he is a white hispanic according to the US census. same with charlie sheen (real name carlos estevez).

the problem is people throw around the term hispanic like its racial. IT IS NOT. ANYONE of spanish speaking descent is hispanic according to the US census, whether we like it or not. 
quote
lbcake send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Pinnacle Sports |
lbcake
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 24838
Location: United Kingdom
#278
Posted: 3/22/2012 7:04:30 PM
This story just hit the UK airways.  Oh my.
quote
TRAIN69
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetOnline.ag |
TRAIN69
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 37202
Location: Missouri
#279
Posted: 3/22/2012 7:50:38 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by depeche2:



Are we speaking a different language?  'Why are you following me' is what Martin said.  You suggested that was an inappropriate response.  WTF are you talking about?

Obviously it was inappropriate because he wound up dead. He apparently didnt know his role in society. 17 year olds arent "the man", but think they can say whatever they want and get away with it. Most of the time they do.

Nobody else knows what was said or done except for Zimmerman. So for you or I to say anything about what happened is stupid.

quote
depeche2 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
depeche2
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 67006
Location: Illinois
#280
Posted: 3/22/2012 8:29:56 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by TRAIN69:

Obviously it was inappropriate because he wound up dead. He apparently didnt know his role in society. 17 year olds arent "the man", but think they can say whatever they want and get away with it. Most of the time they do.

Nobody else knows what was said or done except for Zimmerman. So for you or I to say anything about what happened is stupid.



Zimmerman is going to say what he thinks he needs to say to get off.  That's why facts need to be examined and not take his word at face value.  You and I aka the jury will eventually and ultimately say what happened, not Zimmerman.

Seems to me it's Zimmerman that didn't know his role in society.  He's a private citizen who thinks he is in law enforcement and who thinks it's his job to be police, judge, jury and executioner.  Society will put him in his place.
quote
ogmike send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
ogmike
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2913
Location: Texas
#281
Posted: 3/22/2012 8:32:45 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by depeche2:



Seems to me it's Zimmerman that didn't know his role in society.  He's a private citizen who thinks he is in law enforcement and who thinks it's his job to be police, judge, jury and executioner.  Society will put him in his place.


after hearing him disobey the 911 operator, gotta agree with this
quote
scalabrine send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
scalabrine
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14835
Location: United States
#282
Posted: 3/24/2012 12:59:22 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by ogmike:

Ok, I can't believe I just read straight through 11 pages of this garbage.  I told myself I would stop reading Scal's threads, but for whatever reason, I decided to open this one.  As much as I can't stand Scalabrine, and get annoyed by his insistent stance on prejudices against blacks in about every facet of society... I'm starting to see his point a little. 

Do I agree with him necessarily on this particular topic?  I don't know yet, b/c I'm unsure if I truly believe that his intentions are directed at the police.  He says that he would have started this thread if he had known that Zimmerman was Hispanic.  I can't really believe that, based on his history of posting about injustices against blacks by "white America."  One thing I do know is that Scalabrine is definitely an intelligent/informed individual.  I know this by reading through many of his previous posts about race relations.  He has a very extensive vocabulary and wide comprehension of current events and past history alike.  He is also very proud and strong in his convictions... but also stubborn.  Which is why his underlying motivation behind starting this thread will probably not be admitted or even recognized by himself for that matter.

But after reading the first few pages and seeing some of the derogatory comments toward blacks in general, I can see where he gets some of his ammunition for spewing his hate.  There were many unwarranted attacks/stereotypes directed at the black community that contributed nothing to the discussion.  So, as much as I disagree with Scal on many of his postions on inequality between blacks and whites, I see where he gets his talking points.  They're directly from the mouths of white Americans.  I recognize that racism/discrimination still exists in America and in the world, but I disagree with Scalabrine on many of his threads.  For some of you that chose to disagree with him in this specific thread, not only do you recognize that racism still exists, you seem to be an advocate of it. 

    

This is an important post. Why?

Because it from someone other than myself with credibility on this site, who has observed what I have observed and finds it alarming, that being the 'unwarranted attacks/stereotypes' against blacks.

It is a member from 2002 with several thousand posts, who is in the GD forum often enough to establish a legitimate presence. 

Therefore, although it is only one individual, it is still from a member that is in the good graces of the covers community much more so than I (which is perfectly fine with me, I simply post my viewpoints and defend them to the extent to which they can be defended). 

When another member who frequents this forum, and more specifically, one whos main stance on this site is not race related, makes an observation like this, it should be take into consideration, not only by the offenders, but by many others who don't believe there is an issue with the derogatory commentary against blacks that has long been a staple of this covers enclave. 

Right here in this thread, the word 'mammy' was used. I can assure you, that if you use that word among the presence of any black adult, you will be excoriated at a minimum. It is a word of heavy defamation and mockery, if not outright hate. After its was used in post #37, it wasn't condemned, but applauded in post #38, #41, and laughed heartily at in post #54. 

Why is this of note?

There are one million plus ways we can insult one another, in good taste and in bad. From the male environments of locker rooms, barrooms, and the blacktop, we all have learned to compete and defend ourselves verbally and if necessary, physically from competition or offense.

But racial insults bring this verbal jousting to a whole new sordid and dehumanizing level, and it all too evident throughout this thread (this includes but is not limited to the following: post #40 with the often used 'welfare' insult; Post #59 about 'rapping and playing basketball'; Post #189 'stealing flatscreens'). 

These are very common invectives lobbed at the black community as a whole - men, women, and children - to denigrate them as a peoples. Why is it at a peoples? Because they share a common race. Not only that, black mothers could have sons who are black, black sisters could have brothers who are black, black wives could have husbands who are black, and black children could have fathers who are black. The point is that you may want to use the excuse you are rightfully attacking the 'young black male' but it extends well beyond that. 

Here's a post (now moved to the penalty box but not after it spent a good week in GD) with the word n***er in post #11, showing the mods care little about black race by not deleting the post, and showing that the terms and conditions they allegedly proclaim should serve as rule of law on this site, mean very little when it comes to the defamation of African Americans.

What else can you observe, with one or two exceptions out of hundreds, NO ONE condemning the outright racist slurs right before their eyes as seen in this thread and the linked one. While I probe deeper about the racial intent of a post, it is SPELLED OUT in full for others, and others remain quiet either not caring or having the offense warrant very little of their attention.

The point: Many here are advocates of this type of behavior, as stated in the quoted post, and it speaks volumes. Let the Trayvon Martin murder, and what you know of it in the news and through this thread, bring some clarity to those with severely clouded and problematic views concerning those of color.
quote
scalabrine send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
scalabrine
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14835
Location: United States
#283
Posted: 3/24/2012 1:15:18 PM
Let the above (minus some of the proofing errors which I should have fixed) serve as an answer to EddieGordo in post #168 about my threads, where someone else saw fit to declare that the thread actually has served a purpose. 

And let the progressive dialogue and discussion you speak of be the responsibility of my antagonists and/or responders. It is not my responsibility to prevent them from hurling racial insults and if they do so, let it serve as evidence of their skewed mindset when they come back to read it later, after tempers have subsided.

Lastly, in America, there is no good time and place to discuss race for those who care little to do so. While the media embraces it largely for ratings (but at a minimum at least puts it on the table), the general public shies away from it as a whole just as they do religion and politics. That is why you see the two latter examples discussed here frequently. No one in those threads says, "This is not a good place to discuss politics" even though it is largely taboo in a number of social settings, both formal and informal. In fact, there is a forum dedicated to it for that very purpose! Race as well can be discussed here for the very same reason. It is an outlet in which it can be done anonymously and liberally. Whether it is meaningful or not is up to those digesting the content. At a minimum it is brought before their eyes when it might not have been. That matters.
quote
TRAIN69
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetOnline.ag |
TRAIN69
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 37202
Location: Missouri
#284
Posted: 3/24/2012 1:44:44 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by scalabrine:

Let the above (minus some of the proofing errors which I should have fixed) serve as an answer to EddieGordo in post #168 about my threads, where someone else saw fit to declare that the thread actually has served a purpose. 

And let the progressive dialogue and discussion you speak of be the responsibility of my antagonists and/or responders. It is not my responsibility to prevent them from hurling racial insults and if they do so, let it serve as evidence of their skewed mindset when they come back to read it later, after tempers have subsided.

Lastly, in America, there is no good time and place to discuss race for those who care little to do so. While the media embraces it largely for ratings (but at a minimum at least puts it on the table), the general public shies away from it as a whole just as they do religion and politics. That is why you see the two latter examples discussed here frequently. No one in those threads says, "This is not a good place to discuss politics" even though it is largely taboo in a number of social settings, both formal and informal. In fact, there is a forum dedicated to it for that very purpose! Race as well can be discussed here for the very same reason. It is an outlet in which it can be done anonymously and liberally. Whether it is meaningful or not is up to those digesting the content. At a minimum it is brought before their eyes when it might not have been. That matters.


Theres never a good time or place because both sides know they are right. Thats why you cant have a "discussion". It will lead to feeling being hurt and tempers flaring.

Then there are those that just dont give a darn and mind their own business. Now you will say thats the problem, people dont care. I say the problem is people care too much about what others think and do.
quote
scalabrine send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
scalabrine
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14835
Location: United States
#285
Posted: 3/24/2012 2:11:14 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by TRAIN69:



Theres never a good time or place because both sides know they are right. Thats why you cant have a "discussion". It will lead to feeling being hurt and tempers flaring.

Then there are those that just dont give a darn and mind their own business. Now you will say thats the problem, people dont care. I say the problem is people care too much about what others think and do.

It's one thing not to care because you have other things going on in your life. I examine/comment on race relations in the US and that is my choice.

It's another thing to be completely indifferent. I don't expect everyone to voice their disapproval, but it surprises me that I am the only one in the overwhelming majority of threads, even when its a obvious racial epithet that should condemned. Then you have other slights that reach another level of denigration that is virtually NEVER condemned ('welfare checks' etc.) by even a small segment of individuals. That is a problem. It takes a few seconds to voice your disapproval if you come across it. 
quote
crod1980 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
crod1980
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 688
Location:
#286
Posted: 3/24/2012 9:05:47 PM
scalabrine, why do you suppose that the media keep showing Trayvon's picture from when he was 12 years old instead of his recent pictures? There have been so many more tragic events that have taken place including all of those innocent people recently killed and injured in Chicago in that horrible Drive By shooting including a 6 year old child who died and even a 1 year old that was wounded, but that story got swept under the carpet as all everyone is talking about is this Trayvon Martin story.

I seen this picture today and was quite shocked. Especially after how the media kept portraying this young man as an innocent child. He was hardly a little boy at 6 foot 3.

The media is really turning this into a circus and now the Black Panthers are offering $10,000 Bounty for George Zimmerman's capture??? I was unaware that he was on the run.

I still think that George Zimmerman instigated this whole thing and should be punished, but this entire story is getting crazier and crazier. Now a witness has come forward and said that Trayvon was the one beating up George Zimmerman.

The funny thing is Florida is a swing state. Do you think perhaps that is why the media is so desperately trying to turn this whole thing into a race issue? It sure would make sense.
quote
crod1980 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
crod1980
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 688
Location:
#287
Posted: 3/24/2012 9:25:56 PM
There are also pictures of Trayvon with a mouth full of gold teeth and discussions on drug deals with other people on his facebook page. 17 seems kind of young to have a grill full of gold teeth. Come to think of it, any age seems a little silly to have a mouth full of gold teeth.

Amazing the kinds of pictures that the media can paint.
quote
NJDevils send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
NJDevils
Participation Meter
Covers Rehab
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 33122
Location: Nevada
#288
Posted: 3/24/2012 9:31:53 PM
Thos story is such a load of friggin nonsense. Who goves a garbage

Also the guy that killed him is hispanic he isnt white but the media doesnt like to tell you that. Who gives a garbage

quote
crod1980 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
crod1980
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 688
Location:
#289
Posted: 3/24/2012 9:34:11 PM
HERE are the pictures that the media is trying to hide.
quote
crod1980 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
crod1980
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 688
Location:
#290
Posted: 3/24/2012 9:35:30 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by NJDevils:

Thos story is such a load of friggin nonsense. Who goves a garbage

Also the guy that killed him is hispanic he isnt white but the media doesnt like to tell you that. Who gives a garbage



The Media is now calling George Zimmerman White Hispanic. They actually invented a new term just for this case.
quote
crod1980 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
crod1980
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 688
Location:
#291
Posted: 3/24/2012 9:42:38 PM
I just hate how the media is deceiving the public on this whole thing and desperately trying to turn it into a Race War. I feel a little embarrassed for falling for it as well.
quote
NJDevils send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
NJDevils
Participation Meter
Covers Rehab
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 33122
Location: Nevada
#292
Posted: 3/24/2012 10:26:14 PM
Exactly crod
Posted using a mobile device.
quote
I-Got-5-On-It send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: PaddyPower.com |
I-Got-5-On-It
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 15010
Location: United Kingdom
#293
Posted: 3/24/2012 11:44:25 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by lbcake:

This story just hit the UK airways.  Oh my.

world of computers pounder, world of computers

quote
ironlionzion722 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
ironlionzion722
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2419
Location: Massachusetts
#294
Posted: 3/25/2012 12:01:04 AM

I knew this story would bring at least one thread.  I believe it was def wrong what happened and that guy should be charged with murder, but I'm glad the authorities don't base there decisions on the threat of riots.

quote
scalabrine send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
scalabrine
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14835
Location: United States
#295
Posted: 3/25/2012 2:16:07 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by crod1980:



The Media is now calling George Zimmerman White Hispanic. They actually invented a new term just for this case.


Wow. Now that's an interesting post. It's unfortunate the Hispanic community would disagree with you because they have used such a term themselves for decades to describe other lighter skinned Hispanics...which is only slightly longer than the month this case has existed and the media, as you allege, has had time to come up with this term.
quote
scalabrine send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
scalabrine
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14835
Location: United States
#296
Posted: 3/25/2012 2:22:17 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by ironlionzion722:

I knew this story would bring at least one thread.  I believe it was def wrong what happened and that guy should be charged with murder, but I'm glad the authorities don't base there decisions on the threat of riots.




No. It appears they base it on something much worse...

Almost #300 posts in (yes, #300), I would have thought you might have figured that out by now.

Ya just 'knew' this story would bring 'one' thread? Thanks genius. What admirable foresight you had there! It's only being discussed in virtually every news outlet across the country and as post #278 revealed, other countries as well. 
quote
scalabrine send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
scalabrine
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14835
Location: United States
#297
Posted: 3/25/2012 2:27:30 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by NJDevils:

Thos story is such a load of friggin nonsense. Who goves a garbage

Also the guy that killed him is hispanic he isnt white but the media doesnt like to tell you that. Who gives a garbage


Who gives a garbage? How empathetic you are!

Oh I don't know. Virtually every Black American and a hell of a lot of White Americans including myself. Oh yeah, the family of the dead kid cares too.

Can we skip the formal introductions and just give the "Covers Dickhead of the Year" award now to this guy?
quote
scalabrine send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
scalabrine
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14835
Location: United States
#298
Posted: 3/25/2012 2:55:29 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by crod1980:

I just hate how the media is deceiving the public on this whole thing and desperately trying to turn it into a Race War. I feel a little embarrassed for falling for it as well.

Before I answer anything else including post #286, I need to clarification of this post.

Are you alleging the issue of race in this case, and the fact it could have been a motivating factor in the decision of police and/or Zimmerman, is solely media driven or is there more that I'm not seeing?

Because if that's the case, you could have just stopped typing in post #3 and it would have been abundantly clear.  
quote
scalabrine send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
scalabrine
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14835
Location: United States
#299
Posted: 3/25/2012 3:02:58 AM
I'll be back in a few days after I get clarification. 
quote
ironlionzion722 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
ironlionzion722
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2419
Location: Massachusetts
#300
Posted: 3/25/2012 4:17:12 AM

Number 1: Your rhetoric is boring and redundant

Number 2: Zimmerman is Hispanic (Peruvian) not white. 

Number 3: Any half educated white person is not in the least bit concerned with race riots or blacks rising up lol.  You seem to be the only one obsessed with race.

Number 4: Zimmerman had the right to approach anyone he wanted to armed, he had a permit to carry.

As I said in a prior post (which I don't feel the need to quote the exact post number, because you're the only one who thinks posting the exact number of the post somehow lends more  credibility to it)  What Zimmerman did was absolutely wrong and he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.  You always sit on your high horse and make up, or distort facts.  So pick a few words or sentences, and make a few ignorant condescending comments about them lol.  You criticize everyone else, all the time, and your the one who can't see the forest for the trees lol.  You bring nothing to the table.  Get out of your mom's basement and go out into the real world for a minute, or just do us all a favor and shut up.  I have to go board up my windows now in case the blacks rise up.......yawn.

quote
Forum Index : Penalty Box : Messages Page 12 of 21 «  10 11 12 13 14   »
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.