Can Ohio State win the national championship?

Forum: College Football Page 2 of 2  1 2  
Author: [College Football] Topic: Can Ohio State win the national championship?
traderjoe13 PM traderjoe13
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 637
 
traderjoe13
Participation Meter
Rookie
Posted: 5/11/2017 9:34:17 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by WalterTibbs:

Anyone notice that Michigan must REPLACE 10 starters on defense?

Just saying...............................

and those that think Don Brown can just plug and play with a bunch of kids that arent familiar with the system.. must not know the complexity of the system that brown runs,, there will be a sharp curve. itll be interesting to watch this Wolverine D and see how long it takes them to gel
LonghornHoosier PM LonghornHoosier
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 5961
 
LonghornHoosier
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 5/11/2017 9:38:43 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by WalterTibbs:

Anyone notice that Michigan must REPLACE 10 starters on defense?

Just saying...............................

I think that (lose 10 starters on D) may impact Michigan early, but by the end of the season, they will be a machine and maybe stronger than last season...
WalterTibbs PM WalterTibbs
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1249
 
WalterTibbs
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 5/12/2017 11:02:44 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by LonghornHoosier:


I think that (lose 10 starters on D) may impact Michigan early, but by the end of the season, they will be a machine and maybe stronger than last season...

Michigan was No. 1 in total defense and No. 2 in scoring defense last year.  Obviously, they lost some really good players.  My view is the defense will have a big drop off this season.  Not saying they will be bad...just not in the class of the 2016 team.  No way!


traderjoe13 PM traderjoe13
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 637
 
traderjoe13
Participation Meter
Rookie
Posted: 5/12/2017 10:44:13 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by WalterTibbs:


Michigan was No. 1 in total defense and No. 2 in scoring defense last year.  Obviously, they lost some really good players.  My view is the defense will have a big drop off this season.  Not saying they will be bad...just not in the class of the 2016 team.  No way!



ur view is spot on! no way they can replicate that with these kids  possibly 4 loss season.. but that why they play the games
UNIMAN PM UNIMAN
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 752
 
UNIMAN
Participation Meter
Rookie
Posted: 5/12/2017 10:50:35 PM
alopez14325 PM alopez14325
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 415
 
alopez14325
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 5/13/2017 2:16:32 AM
Ya Michigan is another team I dont feel very confident in next season.  They do have two beasts returning to their Dline, Rashan Gary, and Hurst, could both be first round picks, but they need a ton of players to step up in a major way.   

Offensively, they arent much better, I thought De'veon Smith sucked last year, so that makes me doubt they have some elite RB waiting in the wings.  The only reason I think they can be decent, is because they're returning their Oline, and QB.  Wilton Speight is decent, but unless he improved a lot from last year, Michigan will be mediocre at best.  I did think Chris Evans was better than De'veon Smith, which isint saying much.  There's a chance their WR's will be improved if Donovan Peoples Jones is the real deal, but I dont like counting on unproven freshman.  Finally I will be rooting for Tyrone Wheately, because we went to the same high school.  I think Michigan is even close to Ohio State. 

The Big 10 is pretty weak, but if anybody is going to compete with the Buckeye's it's gotta be Penn State.
UNIMAN PM UNIMAN
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 752
 
UNIMAN
Participation Meter
Rookie
Posted: 5/13/2017 10:35:35 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by alopez14325:

Ya Michigan is another team I dont feel very confident in next season.  They do have two beasts returning to their Dline, Rashan Gary, and Hurst, could both be first round picks, but they need a ton of players to step up in a major way.   

Offensively, they arent much better, I thought De'veon Smith sucked last year, so that makes me doubt they have some elite RB waiting in the wings.  The only reason I think they can be decent, is because they're returning their Oline, and QB.  Wilton Speight is decent, but unless he improved a lot from last year, Michigan will be mediocre at best.  I did think Chris Evans was better than De'veon Smith, which isint saying much.  There's a chance their WR's will be improved if Donovan Peoples Jones is the real deal, but I dont like counting on unproven freshman.  Finally I will be rooting for Tyrone Wheately, because we went to the same high school.  I think Michigan is even close to Ohio State. 

The Big 10 is pretty weak, but if anybody is going to compete with the Buckeye's it's gotta be Penn State.

Good assessment.
The running backs were not much last year. A lot of that was the O-line also. Senior laden, but not dominate at all. Evans is bigger/stronger, Issac looked good in spring ball. So there is hope there. It's the running backs who learn to pass block that gets to start. Speaking of O-line, the starting five looked pretty good to me in spring ball. They had only a few snaps in the spring game with all five together, but they were pretty decent.
DynastyOne PM DynastyOne
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 2587
 
DynastyOne
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 5/25/2017 11:09:52 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by traderjoe13:


and those that think Don Brown can just plug and play with a bunch of kids that arent familiar with the system.. must not know the complexity of the system that brown runs,, there will be a sharp curve. itll be interesting to watch this Wolverine D and see how long it takes them to gel

This is where you're wrong. His defense is so complicated that another year of learning the system actually benefits the players whether they're young or not. He has mentioned this off season that the players are more comfortable within the system and that he isn't teaching as much as he did the first year. Whether they're as good as last year is yet to be determined but there isn't that huge of learning curve as you're making it out to be. There is a lot of talent on this defense and I don't expect much of a drop off. 

UNIMAN PM UNIMAN
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 752
 
UNIMAN
Participation Meter
Rookie
Posted: 5/26/2017 8:04:32 PM
Not sure how this became a Michigan thread??

What I see is this; The story is only 1 returning starter on D. The fact is Don Brown and Greg Mattison rotated players on the D-line last year. The D-line is full of experience. Depth on D-line not as good as last year. It is the linebacker and D-backs where the game inexperience is. But they looked damn good in spring ball. Really believe this is the fastest overall Michigan D I have ever seen.

Time will tell.

MrFreedo PM MrFreedo
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 57
 
MrFreedo
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 5/28/2017 11:53:44 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by WalterTibbs:

Anyone notice that Michigan must REPLACE 10 starters on defense?

Just saying...............................

Dam... I don't know they had that much of a re-build.
traderjoe13 PM traderjoe13
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 637
 
traderjoe13
Participation Meter
Rookie
Posted: 5/29/2017 8:29:58 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by DynastyOne:


This is where you're wrong. His defense is so complicated that another year of learning the system actually benefits the players whether they're young or not. He has mentioned this off season that the players are more comfortable within the system and that he isn't teaching as much as he did the first year. Whether they're as good as last year is yet to be determined but there isn't that huge of learning curve as you're making it out to be. There is a lot of talent on this defense and I don't expect much of a drop off. 


thanx for ur info!! ur probably more aware of the program than i am. interesting points u make, but im not sold on a quick turn around until i see it!! best of luck to you 

Forum: College Football Page 2 of 2  1 2  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.
Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View