Is Notre Dame really that good?

Forum: College Football Page 1 of 2  1 2  
Author: [College Football] Topic: Is Notre Dame really that good?
mikej24 PM mikej24
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 231
 
mikej24
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 11/18/2012 8:25:07 PM
they never schedule an sec team they play the weakest part of the acc an the big ten just sucks.... they technically got beat by stanford if the replay official makes the right call an went three ot's with pitt who got beat by youngstown state.... Just wondering everyones opinion
shimmersun PM shimmersun
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9097
 
shimmersun
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 11/18/2012 8:55:33 PM
They have this "air" to them, like they will get the breaks time and time again. Let's see them play Bama, Clemson or Texas A&M and see if they squeak by,
soonboomer PM soonboomer
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1132
 
soonboomer
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 11/18/2012 9:04:20 PM
Saw them when they beat OU in Norman. I thought ND was superior on both sides in the trenches.  Their defense will give anyone major problems.  When they get good QB play, they are in fact very good.
getoffmyface PM getoffmyface
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 246
 
getoffmyface
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 11/18/2012 9:13:17 PM

They will send a bunch of players to the pros, the talent is there.  Its a defense and running team that is beginning to expand the offense with an improving QB.  To go undefeated you need a little good fortune, every other team is contention has at least once.

Expect them to be a favorite and to win vs USC.  theyre not a top 5 team on paper but probably not much lower

Pecador PM Pecador
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 2707
 
Pecador
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 11/18/2012 9:16:42 PM
Why not?  They have hung on and done a undefeated and no one else has managed that. Give them some credit. No team is perfect and it's hard to win them all. Notre Dame is sitting at perfect right now. Good for them and it'll all work out. 
Sure I think, like many, that there are teams that could beat them but this is the way the system works and they are there and no one else is. It'll be a great championship game no matter if they hang in.  What's the problem if they get a invite?  Maybe they are better than the rest?  We'll see.
 GL,   Doc
KennyWoo PM KennyWoo
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2510
 
KennyWoo
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 11/18/2012 9:41:30 PM
They aren't great.  But they have beaten everyone they've played, which is always worthy of respect.
RT1 PM RT1
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 12
 
RT1
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 11/18/2012 10:04:55 PM
For what it's worth, the Stanford call was to tie and force another OT, not to win.
Posted using a mobile device.
cjm2008 PM cjm2008
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 15825
 
cjm2008
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 11/18/2012 10:09:31 PM
11-0 speaks for itself. They are truely deserving of a BCS title shot if they run the table
CalBear PM CalBear
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 21010
 
CalBear
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Posted: 11/18/2012 10:10:33 PM
I guess you will have to keep paying before you find out
Posted using a mobile device.
BLOODandTHUNDER PM BLOODandTHUNDER
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 642
 
BLOODandTHUNDER
Participation Meter
Rookie
Posted: 11/18/2012 11:29:52 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by mikej24:

they never schedule an sec team they play the weakest part of the acc an the big ten just sucks.... they technically got beat by stanford if the replay official makes the right call an went three ot's with pitt who got beat by youngstown state.... Just wondering everyones opinion

How did they lose to Standford. The run by Taylor was ruled dead by a pac12 crew no less and even if they gave them that TD it was to tie the game not to win. Pitt game was a trap game for ND. Bottom line is ND is 11-0 all the woulda coulda shoulda questions are totally irrelevent. They are a pretty good football team.

 

jwheels86 PM jwheels86
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 13381
 
jwheels86
Participation Meter
All-Star
Posted: 11/18/2012 11:37:47 PM
lol last two years everyone here was saying Kelly should be fired… everyone allows themselves to be fooled every season just like they were on Oregon and KSU before last night
BLOODandTHUNDER PM BLOODandTHUNDER
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 642
 
BLOODandTHUNDER
Participation Meter
Rookie
Posted: 11/18/2012 11:44:43 PM

I have believed in BK from day one. He has won everywhere he has been. It takes time to undo a losing mentality and instill belief. It seems it takes 3 seasons for him. I have scratched my head at play calling the last two seasons and defensive breakdowns but it seems it has finally all come together.

SEC_CHEF PM SEC_CHEF
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 401
 
SEC_CHEF
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 11/19/2012 12:09:47 AM
NOOOOO. they are nto that good.  they play shitty teams from the ACC, shitty military schools, the BIg 10 has been a 1 or maybe 2 team school for about 15 yrs now, so its not like ND hasnt known this.  WHat if they played a SEC school?  WHat is it okay that ND doesnt have to join a conference, so they dont get to deal with weekly conference rivals, AND ND DOESNT HAVE TO PLAY A TITLE GAME!!!

why isnt anybody talking about this?  people talk about SEC bias, but you look at ND schedule, especially recently...they played like crap vs BC, they had a BS phantom call vs Stanford, & they had to take Pitt @ home to 3 OTS and only bc Pitts  kicker cant make a short FG to win the game, this overrated team that is given special priviledges is sitting in the driver seat to get ROLLED by bama

SEC_CHEF PM SEC_CHEF
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 401
 
SEC_CHEF
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 11/19/2012 12:21:24 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by cjm2008:

11-0 speaks for itself. They are truely deserving of a BCS title shot if they run the table


that makes absolutely no sense...that is why strength of schedule was brought into the equation..that and self righteous ND has payed off everybody so do they dont have to play in a conference, which means no weekly conference rivals, and NO CHAMPIONSHIP GAME???  WHY IS NOBODY TALKING ABOUT THIS AND THE TOTAL BIAS NCAA HAS Towards ND.

they had to take pitt to 3 OTs at home and should have lost, but Pitt kicker missed a pretty short field goal
SEC_CHEF PM SEC_CHEF
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 401
 
SEC_CHEF
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 11/19/2012 12:31:35 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by shimmersun:

They have this "air" to them, like they will get the breaks time and time again. Let's see them play Bama, Clemson or Texas A&M and see if they squeak by,

CLemsons????
"put the pipe down
HookEmHorns22 PM HookEmHorns22
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 22265
 
HookEmHorns22
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Posted: 11/19/2012 12:33:20 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by SEC_CHEF:


that makes absolutely no sense...that is why strength of schedule was brought into the equation..that and self righteous ND has payed off everybody so do they dont have to play in a conference, which means no weekly conference rivals, and NO CHAMPIONSHIP GAME???  WHY IS NOBODY TALKING ABOUT THIS AND THE TOTAL BIAS NCAA HAS Towards ND.

they had to take pitt to 3 OTs at home and should have lost, but Pitt kicker missed a pretty short field goal


AND THES NO BIAS TO THE SEC?

WHO CARES LET THEM PLAY. BRING ON THE PLAYOFFS 
SEC_CHEF PM SEC_CHEF
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 401
 
SEC_CHEF
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 11/19/2012 12:41:59 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by HookEmHorns22:



AND THES NO BIAS TO THE SEC?

WHO CARES LET THEM PLAY. BRING ON THE PLAYOFFS 

still not holding my breath over that.  I know they have assured the new playoff format will help determine the BCS.

HookEM...c'mon man...look at the bias treatment here: ND gets to handpick their own schedule, they are not in a conference, so no weekly conference rivalaries; and  further more they are not required to play in a Conference title game.

HOW IS THIS FAIR??? 
reality is, they will get chelled by bama




mbialowas PM mbialowas
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3461
 
mbialowas
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 11/19/2012 12:42:45 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by mikej24:

they never schedule an sec team they play the weakest part of the acc an the big ten just sucks.... they technically got beat by stanford if the replay official makes the right call an went three ot's with pitt who got beat by youngstown state.... Just wondering everyones opinion
I am an SEC homer, and I am privy to some "information", and Notre Dame has been trying to schedule SEC teams for the last 5-6 years, and no takers. why? not too sure. SEC trying to protect something? Will never know, but not too sure why they would rather schedule div 2 teams for there out of conf. sched
jimmydafreak PM jimmydafreak
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 13676
 
jimmydafreak
Participation Meter
All-Star
Posted: 11/19/2012 12:59:04 AM
Notre Dame is a very good team.  They are undefeated because they have beaten everyone they've played in the trenches, and that's where games are usually won and lost.

That's the good news.  The bad news will be if they have to play Alabama in the national championship game, because playing a physical smash-mouth type of a team is a dream match-up for Alabama.

I think Notre Dame would have had a great chance to beat either K-State or Oregon.  I don't think they'll beat Georgia, but they'd definitely have a shot because if anyone can manufacture a way to blow a game, Mark Richt will usually find a way.  I think Notre Dame has zero shot against Alabama.


SEC_CHEF PM SEC_CHEF
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 401
 
SEC_CHEF
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 11/19/2012 1:07:52 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by mbialowas:

I am an SEC homer, and I am privy to some "information", and Notre Dame has been trying to schedule SEC teams for the last 5-6 years, and no takers. why? not too sure. SEC trying to protect something? Will never know, but not too sure why they would rather schedule div 2 teams for there out of conf. sched

For starters...not all SEC teams, but a lot are under contracts by their states to play a cupcake from their own state to keep the money in house.  For example SC has to play 1 in state school every year so they keep the money in SC.  I dont like the rule, however i do get it, bc the only D1 schools in SC are Clemson & SC.

Other side.  if you look at a lot of major programs across the country, they will play a DII or FCS school in the begining of the season for games to prep their teams.  That and it really is fukin hard to play in the SEC, and next week is when all the SEC schools play all their rivalry games.  In SC situation, Clemson is always a very hard fought, tough game.  I guess they could play the small instate school in the beginning of the season, but realistically that makes no sense.  However, this year as they faced Wofford, this school is reknown for keeping it very close vs FBS schools.  they almost beat clemson last year.

trust me i understand the criticism, but one must understand all the other state political BS that goes into this.  I guess we could play them at the beginning of the season, but, it is set towards the end of season on purpose, bc Wofford (FCS) ends their regular season last week...so this is like a bowl game for them.

Again i understand the criticism, but its out of our hands.  Call Gov Nikki Haley, and see if she can change it

-chef


SEC_CHEF PM SEC_CHEF
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 401
 
SEC_CHEF
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 11/19/2012 1:25:03 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by jimmydafreak:

Notre Dame is a very good team.  They are undefeated because they have beaten everyone they've played in the trenches, and that's where games are usually won and lost.

That's the good news.  The bad news will be if they have to play Alabama in the national championship game, because playing a physical smash-mouth type of a team is a dream match-up for Alabama.

I think Notre Dame would have had a great chance to beat either K-State or Oregon.  I don't think they'll beat Georgia, but they'd definitely have a shot because if anyone can manufacture a way to blow a game, Mark Richt will usually find a way.  I think Notre Dame has zero shot against Alabama.



i agree with what you are saying, but dont you think the level of competition plays a huge part of this?  Look at their schedule, and you cant count what a team is ranked 8 weeks ago.  that makes absolutely no sense.  at the end of the season, where teams are ranked, or not, that you beat is part of what proves your real worth.

its not a hard concept.  OAK should have lost to WV yesterday, hell they let WVU put up around 50 points.  the entire Big 10 is really bad (except OSU), but that has been the norm for how long??? so they beat Stanford, and now they get to play a USC team with no Barkley??? what makes them so special that they can hand pick all their cupcakes for most of the season.  Hell they should have lost to PITT in triple OT and Stanford got hosed on a call vs ND late in 4th.

They dont have a prayer against Bama, and even more, i am not so sure they can keep it close to UGA, or LSU, or SC, or FLA with or without a healthy QB.  Hell, IF Barkely was healthy, i dont thin they could win vs USC.
SEC_CHEF PM SEC_CHEF
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 401
 
SEC_CHEF
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 11/19/2012 1:51:19 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by mbialowas:

I am an SEC homer, and I am privy to some "information", and Notre Dame has been trying to schedule SEC teams for the last 5-6 years, and no takers. why? not too sure. SEC trying to protect something? Will never know, but not too sure why they would rather schedule div 2 teams for there out of conf. sched

its probably because they sucked for 20 years, and a lot of time this week before rivalry weekend it is senior day, so they have to let all the scrubs play.  Also, all the big schools do this, most chose to do this in the beginning of the season.
wankerjake PM wankerjake
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 217
 
wankerjake
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 11/19/2012 11:16:06 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by SEC_CHEF:

NOOOOO. they are nto that good.  they play shitty teams from the ACC, shitty military schools, the BIg 10 has been a 1 or maybe 2 team school for about 15 yrs now, so its not like ND hasnt known this.  WHat if they played a SEC school?  WHat is it okay that ND doesnt have to join a conference, so they dont get to deal with weekly conference rivals, AND ND DOESNT HAVE TO PLAY A TITLE GAME!!!


Weekly conference rivals? Do you not understand that ND plays a lot of the same teams every year, and are involved in multiple rivalries? Both Mich teams, USC, BC- all rivalry games. You think Stanford and OU weren't big games for both teams? Your argument that Notre Dame's strength of schedule is weak because they "hand pick" it is ridiculous. They "hand picked" 5 top 25 teams. USC and OU are top tier teams almost every year. Scheduling USC and OU is always anyone's best guess for winner of pac 12 and big 12, respectively. 

And did you seriously say that it was OK for SEC teams to play humping post 1-AA teams because the rest of their schedule is hard??? Bama scheduled Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, and Western friggin Carolina. Notre Dame didn't play a single team as shitty as those 3. Maybe Wake. Gimme a break dude. You are making up excuses to hate Notre Dame because, nothing more. There is no way they don't deserve to be where they are. They are a good football team.

Who's gonna beat Bama with a month to prepare? Probably nobody, but ND has earned the right to try as it stands right now. Provided they beat the Trojans next week, which I believe they will. 



gridironguy PM gridironguy
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 5296
 
gridironguy
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 11/19/2012 11:18:01 AM
very good defense,

very well coached,

very fortunate to have won some close games that all happened at home,

very good running game and defense is mobile, you can take it anywhere,

also very fortunate that all 3 teams above them lost, though they needed 2 of them to lose in order to jump to at least #2

also very fortunate that they don't have to face matt barkley in final game
slamspurs PM slamspurs
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 4655
 
slamspurs
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 11/19/2012 11:45:45 AM

Although I question the validity of some of Notre Dame's wins, especially how the stars aligned to have their toughest game of the year at USC without their starting Quarterback, Notre Dame is a legitimate team, No Doubt.

That Notre Dame defense is not joke. They've allowed something like 9 TDs the entire year, through 10 games. Even if this was against lesser competition, we all know Alabama is not offensive powerhouse.

Notre Dame isn't an offensive powerhouse either, but they win games by putting up enough points to win. If Notre Dame plays Alabama, it will be a good, well deserved championship Game.

On a side note, it would piss me off if Georgia made it. The only Georgia game I played the entire season is when South Carolina Abused them for 56 minutes. The Gamecocks woulda beat them 35-0 if it weren't for a last second TD. That's not a national championship contender to me.

Forum: College Football Page 1 of 2  1 2  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.