Messages

Forum Index : Covers College Football : Messages
Author: [College Football] Topic: Repercussions of TCU drug scandal?
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5563
Location: United States
#1
Posted: 2/16/2012 6:31:41 PM
I am curious about your thoughts are on the TCU drug scandal? Do you guys think that this is enough to diminish the Big 12s overwhelming foothold as the dominant football and overall athletic conference in the country?

Time will tell I guess
quote
packers1992 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
packers1992
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 9045
Location: Michigan
#2
Posted: 2/16/2012 7:41:51 PM
well matt as of a week or 2 ago i had TCU finishing 9th in the big 12. The scandal doesn't affect me 1 way or the other. The only way i'd hav ethem ranked higher or lower is their schedule. It's a sad situation for all. And with all due respect i'd put the big 12 3rd behind the SEC and the Pac-12. Just my 2 cents matt
quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5563
Location: United States
#3
Posted: 2/16/2012 7:46:52 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by packers1992:

well matt as of a week or 2 ago i had TCU finishing 9th in the big 12. The scandal doesn't affect me 1 way or the other. The only way i'd hav ethem ranked higher or lower is their schedule. It's a sad situation for all. And with all due respect i'd put the big 12 3rd behind the SEC and the Pac-12. Just my 2 cents matt

I hear you. thank you for your continued support 
quote
packers1992 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
packers1992
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 9045
Location: Michigan
#4
Posted: 2/16/2012 8:02:09 PM
matt i'm confused what do you mean by support?
quote
thorpe send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
thorpe
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 8439
Location:
#5
Posted: 2/16/2012 9:42:26 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by mattbrot:

I am curious about your thoughts are on the TCU drug scandal? Do you guys think that this is enough to diminish the Big 12s overwhelming foothold as the dominant football and overall athletic conference in the country?

Time will tell I guess


Did those TCU players sell you a little weed?  SEC is by far the dominant football conference and Pac 12 is probably the dominant overall athletic conference if you include sports like water polo, softball, tennis, baseball, etc.

The "scandal" will be swept under the rug before spring practise rolls around.
quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5563
Location: United States
#6
Posted: 2/16/2012 9:43:48 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by thorpe:



Did those TCU players sell you a little weed?  SEC is by far the dominant football conference and Pac 12 is probably the dominant overall athletic conference if you include sports like water polo, softball, tennis, baseball, etc.

The "scandal" will be swept under the rug before spring practise rolls around.

i respect your opinion 
quote
DoubleUp4Life
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
DoubleUp4Life
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 31835
Location: New York
#7
Posted: 2/16/2012 11:05:40 PM
see what happens when you mess with Texas

just ask SMU 


quote
jimmydafreak send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BookMaker |
jimmydafreak
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 11974
Location: United States
#8
Posted: 2/16/2012 11:49:22 PM

I think it will have little effect on TCU or the Big 12 Conference as a whole.

 

quote
mafioso send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Bellagio |
mafioso
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1331
Location: California
#9
Posted: 2/17/2012 3:39:21 AM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by packers1992:

well matt as of a week or 2 ago i had TCU finishing 9th in the big 12. The scandal doesn't affect me 1 way or the other. The only way i'd hav ethem ranked higher or lower is their schedule. It's a sad situation for all. And with all due respect i'd put the big 12 3rd behind the SEC and the Pac-12. Just my 2 cents matt

May I ask how you have TCU finishing 9th in the big 12?

I see three teams that are better than them in the big 12

Oklahoma

W-Virginia

Maybe Ok St

texas isnt the best school in texas TCU is

Iowa St, Love there coach but still they lack the talent to be consistant and pull real recruits

Baylor lost 80% of there offense by losing RG3

Texas Tech, I said it would take 3 years for Tommy Tubbervile to destroy what Mike Leech had built, I was wrong, It took 2

 

Kansas St, As much as I like the old coach and what hes done there, I cant help but look at there games last season as smoke and mirrors.

 

Kansas, Charlie Weiss, enough said

 

 

quote
pulledclear send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
pulledclear
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 3202
Location: United States
#10
Posted: 2/17/2012 4:11:07 AM
College kids smoking weed! Holy garbage Martha as soon as I shop vac the potato chips out of my chest hair, pull the dog hair out of my bellybutton, shave my chin whiskers and eat my oxycontin  were a takin the pickup tu town! Those heathens are a puffin on the devils lettuce and usin Christian in their GOD damn skool logo!
quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5563
Location: United States
#11
Posted: 2/17/2012 10:18:21 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by mafioso:

May I ask how you have TCU finishing 9th in the big 12?

I see three teams that are better than them in the big 12

Oklahoma

W-Virginia

Maybe Ok St

texas isnt the best school in texas TCU is

Iowa St, Love there coach but still they lack the talent to be consistant and pull real recruits

Baylor lost 80% of there offense by losing RG3

Texas Tech, I said it would take 3 years for Tommy Tubbervile to destroy what Mike Leech had built, I was wrong, It took 2

 

Kansas St, As much as I like the old coach and what hes done there, I cant help but look at there games last season as smoke and mirrors.

 

Kansas, Charlie Weiss, enough said

 

 



I had a similar thought.  Only teams that I would for sure put ahead of them are OU and WVU. But who knows what happens now
quote
packers1992 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
packers1992
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 9045
Location: Michigan
#12
Posted: 2/17/2012 10:19:29 AM

mafioso here is how i rate the big 12. This is my opinion:

1. Oklahoma

2. texas

3. West Virginia

4. Texas Tech

5.Oklahoma State

6.Kansas State

7. Iowa State

8. Kansas

9. TCU

10. Baylor

I don't have TCU as high as most i think it will take them at least 3 years to be a legitimate contender in the big 12. Just my 2 cents. The only thing that will change where i rank TCU is their schedule

quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5563
Location: United States
#13
Posted: 2/17/2012 10:37:07 AM
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=205379627

schedules released a couple of days ago after WVU officially worked things out with Big East.

IMO (this is before the drug thing as I am not sure how this will effect TCU)

- I think that WVU and OU will be on top.
- UT might with good D and running game but the QB play is still very 
  suspect.
- OSU and Baylor unknown due to loss of key players.
- KSU always seems to be competitive yet not great.

I have no idea why the enthusiasm for Iowa St, KU, and T Tech.

I think that TCU will fall somewhere in the middle of the pack.
quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5563
Location: United States
#14
Posted: 2/17/2012 10:41:22 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by jimmydafreak:

I think it will have little effect on TCU or the Big 12 Conference as a whole.

 



Jimmy -- you think it will have little effect on TCU? Some of the arrests and expulsions were some of their better defensive players.

But I do think that Gary Patterson is a good coach and has a way of getting the most out of his players.
quote
jimmydafreak send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BookMaker |
jimmydafreak
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 11974
Location: United States
#15
Posted: 2/17/2012 2:47:28 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by mattbrot:



Jimmy -- you think it will have little effect on TCU? Some of the arrests and expulsions were some of their better defensive players.

But I do think that Gary Patterson is a good coach and has a way of getting the most out of his players.

Never heard about any expulsions.  If there are expulsions, that's news to me.

Arrests happen all the time.  I suspect all the plea-bargains will be worked out prior to the season, and that a few players may have to sit for the Grambling game, but I doubt any of it has any serious implications on TCU's season as a whole.  They were a 4-loss type of team before any suspensions, and will probably be a 4-loss type of team after the suspensions.

 

quote
jimmydafreak send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BookMaker |
jimmydafreak
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 11974
Location: United States
#16
Posted: 2/17/2012 2:56:07 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by mafioso:

May I ask how you have TCU finishing 9th in the big 12?

I see three teams that are better than them in the big 12

Oklahoma

W-Virginia

Maybe Ok St

texas isnt the best school in texas TCU is

Iowa St, Love there coach but still they lack the talent to be consistant and pull real recruits

Baylor lost 80% of there offense by losing RG3

Texas Tech, I said it would take 3 years for Tommy Tubbervile to destroy what Mike Leech had built, I was wrong, It took 2

 

Kansas St, As much as I like the old coach and what hes done there, I cant help but look at there games last season as smoke and mirrors.

 

Kansas, Charlie Weiss, enough said

Agree with you on Wingnut.  I think they will continue to be a lower to middle tier team in the Big 12.  And if TCU can't start recruiting some big-time talent, they'll be right there in the middle of the pack with the Red Raiders.

 

quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5563
Location: United States
#17
Posted: 2/17/2012 8:22:23 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by jimmydafreak:

Never heard about any expulsions.  If there are expulsions, that's news to me.

Arrests happen all the time.  I suspect all the plea-bargains will be worked out prior to the season, and that a few players may have to sit for the Grambling game, but I doubt any of it has any serious implications on TCU's season as a whole.  They were a 4-loss type of team before any suspensions, and will probably be a 4-loss type of team after the suspensions.

 


I am almost positive that at least four of the guys got expelled from school. I will confirm this later
quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5563
Location: United States
#18
Posted: 2/17/2012 8:31:34 PM
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-02-15/sports/chi-four-tcu-football-players-arrested-in-campus-drug-bust-20120215_1_campus-drug-bust-undercover-operation-tcu-football

http://www.ourdailybears.com/2012/2/15/2800167/4-tcu-football-players-arrested-expelled-in-huge-drug-bust 

all students involved have been expelled
quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5563
Location: United States
#19
Posted: 2/17/2012 8:33:39 PM
Tanner Brock was one of the players here is a piece from a story

"including Tanner Brock, the team’s leading tackler in 2010 and an honorable mention on the All-America team"
quote
D_Unit send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
D_Unit
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 2642
Location: Texas
#20
Posted: 2/17/2012 11:27:53 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by DoubleUp4Life:

see what happens when you mess with Texas

just ask SMU 


BINGO! When UH was whopping UT 66-10 in Austin, boom UH gets put on probation the next yr. The biggest crooks in college football reside in Austin,TX. As a UH fan, I hope we never get into a conference w/ UT ever again. Funny how w/ all the druggy football players they've had seem to never get in trouble.

quote
jimmydafreak send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BookMaker |
jimmydafreak
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 11974
Location: United States
#21
Posted: 2/18/2012 2:08:54 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by mattbrot:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-02-15/sports/chi-four-tcu-football-players-arrested-in-campus-drug-bust-20120215_1_campus-drug-bust-undercover-operation-tcu-football

http://www.ourdailybears.com/2012/2/15/2800167/4-tcu-football-players-arrested-expelled-in-huge-drug-bust 

all students involved have been expelled

I see.  Thanks for the follow-up.

 

quote
Laroja
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Sports Interaction |
Laroja
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 10486
Location: Ontario
#22
Posted: 2/18/2012 2:19:20 PM
I heard those were some very key players also.
quote
Capper007
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetOnline.ag |
Capper007
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6909
Location: United States
#23
Posted: 2/20/2012 11:12:51 AM
This is not a SCANDAL; this is yet another example of how NCAAF players need to have some sort of money, so they dont have to borrow, steal, or sale drugs to get by!! If you think that this isn't taking place on EVERY campus with at least one player selling drugs on every campus than you are just NAIVE!!! Pay for the players FOOD, SHELTER, AND PLANE TICKETS HOME ON HOLIDAYS!! IF IT WAS UP TO ME THEY COULD MAKE MONEY OFF THIER JERSEY SALES TOO!!!
quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5563
Location: United States
#24
Posted: 2/20/2012 2:19:40 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Capper007:

This is not a SCANDAL; this is yet another example of how NCAAF players need to have some sort of money, so they dont have to borrow, steal, or sale drugs to get by!! If you think that this isn't taking place on EVERY campus with at least one player selling drugs on every campus than you are just NAIVE!!! Pay for the players FOOD, SHELTER, AND PLANE TICKETS HOME ON HOLIDAYS!! IF IT WAS UP TO ME THEY COULD MAKE MONEY OFF THIER JERSEY SALES TOO!!!


Not sure I follow you here. I agree in theory that players get hosed while the schools (or the % of the ones that make $ at least) profit. But to say that this is to blame for players being involved in a drug selling ring is a little out there. There are many poor college kids (athletes or not) out there and that does not allow them the right to sell drugs.

And of course players / students are involved with drugs everywhere. Who is doubting that? I just say the word scandal because when 17 students are expelled (with more info to come) for selling drugs to undercover police officers than I would say that qualifies as a scandal. Anyways if it is not a scandal than at the least it is a story (who really cares what word is used to describe it).
 
quote
jimmydafreak send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BookMaker |
jimmydafreak
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 11974
Location: United States
#25
Posted: 2/21/2012 4:45:36 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by Capper007:

This is not a SCANDAL; this is yet another example of how NCAAF players need to have some sort of money, so they dont have to borrow, steal, or sale drugs to get by!! If you think that this isn't taking place on EVERY campus with at least one player selling drugs on every campus than you are just NAIVE!!! Pay for the players FOOD, SHELTER, AND PLANE TICKETS HOME ON HOLIDAYS!! IF IT WAS UP TO ME THEY COULD MAKE MONEY OFF THIER JERSEY SALES TOO!!!

I agree.  The real scandal is that a bunch of rich elitist scumbags are raking in millions of dollars off the exploitation of kids.  These same elitist scumbags also attempt to criminalize every effort by the kids they exploit to earn extra money.  Now selling your own property is effectively "crime" worthy of punishment.

 

quote
Forum Index : Covers College Football : Messages
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.