Messages

Forum Index : NHL Betting : Messages Page 3 of 4  1 2 3 4  
Author: [NHL Betting] Topic: LOCKOUT
Meta send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Meta
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 295
Location: Pennsylvania
#51
Posted: 9/18/2012 1:48:35 PM
My fall and winter will be ruined without hockey. I just recently became a dedicated fan, but a year off might make me forget all about it. I'm sure there are others in similar situations. How the NHL and the PA thinks its ok to forgo the season is ridiculous. 
quote
Absolutxedge22 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Absolutxedge22
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 12848
Location: Michigan
#52
Posted: 9/19/2012 6:03:55 PM
quote
Albertcore send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Pinnacle Sports |
Albertcore
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 8932
Location:
#53
Posted: 9/19/2012 6:13:04 PM

The NHL has canceled all preseason games scheduled for September.

Meanwhile, the NHL and players' union haven't officially met in about a week. This announcement is unfortunate, but not shocking under the circumstances. The bigger question is how much time is left before the NHL starts to cancel regular season contests. If there wasn't a lockout, the 2012-13 campaign would start on Oct. 11.
quote
bk_widows send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
bk_widows
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 6411
Location: Ontario
#54
Posted: 9/20/2012 1:45:15 AM

...

nothing will happen until someone starts losing money...

players don't get paid until mid-october anyway, and don't forget they'll be receiving about 200 grand each from portion of their salaries that went into escrow so they're ok for another couple months at least...

since owners' biggest expense is player salaries, the longer the lockout drags on the lower their overhead; they have zero incentive to get a deal done anytime soon that's not weighted in their favor...

the players are gonna have to cave in sooner or later, it's just common sense they can't hold on forever; the superstars will always have a place to play and make millions but the marginal guys who are in the majority are gonna be stuck playing pond hockey in some beer league, or their careers will be shot, and there are a lot more marginal players than superstars...

it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the entire season go down the tubes again...however i suspect the players will give in and the games begin around new yr's; a short season will save the owners millions, plus with fewer games there's more of a likelihood that playoff races will be tighter thus heightening fan interest and helping the financial have-not teams...

come playoff time, players don't get paid and teams rake in cash because ticket prices go thru the roof...

IMO the owners hold all the cards

 

 

quote
LanceLogan send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: bet365 |
LanceLogan
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 5186
Location: British
              Columbia
#55
Posted: 9/20/2012 2:04:27 AM
On the long term contact thing I wonder if we can blame this garbage on goddamn Charles Wang in Long Island with the Yashin and DiPietro contracts, was this garbage his Idea or was Milbury still around at this time, anyways I almost don't blame the owners for wanting to cap contract lengths at 5 years, damn near all the top tier players are putting that gun to their teams head these days.
quote
HookEmHorns22
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
HookEmHorns22
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 21475
Location: United States
#56
Posted: 9/20/2012 11:38:10 PM
Any chance we have a season?
quote
potvin send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
potvin
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 23498
Location: United States
#57
Posted: 9/21/2012 5:16:30 AM

lance, that stupid garbage was all wang!

quote
NewDarkDay
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
NewDarkDay
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1502
Location: Illinois
#58
Posted: 9/21/2012 5:32:58 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by LeRinkRat:

well WHAT the darn would YOU say it IS, faceoff? HOW the Hell is wiggens being "ignorant"? 

you got these two arrogant fool Bettman and Fehr in a "my person bigger than yours" contest over nickles and dimes and BOTH the players and owners are going to lose millions in the process. just plain STUPID when the league has finally gotten good national coverage here in the States with NBC Sports and, like Dangerbay said, revenues have gone from $2 billion to $3 billion during the last contract.

I just hope NBC Sports picks up more NCAA Hockey. I actually like watching the college kids as much as the pros. people in Canada are lucky because I'm sure TSN will pick up a bunch of Major Juniors which is also good, fast paced hockey.

this is on the owners i hope fehr people them up,with that being said i hope they cancel the next 50 seasons i hate hockey
quote
potvin send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
potvin
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 23498
Location: United States
#59
Posted: 9/21/2012 9:48:18 PM
but yet your in the hockey forum. i hate people who go out of thier way to be an fool! by the way, bulls suck!
quote
Fire_Control send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Pinnacle Sports |
Fire_Control
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 877
Location: Nova Scotia
#60
Posted: 9/21/2012 9:50:31 PM

The owners look bad this time. I think the union knows this. There is no rush for the players settle yet.

I think we miss the whole season again.

On a side note here is my theory on the reason for big contracts this past summer.

I believe everybody knows that when they agree on a new cba there is going to be a rollback in salaries. I think the players and owners realize this and the big contacts signed this summer were made knowing they will be 20 percent less when hockey returns.

Just my 2 cents.

 

 

quote
Dangerbay send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Dangerbay
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 14606
Location: Ontario
#61
Posted: 9/21/2012 11:06:10 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by NewDarkDay:

this is on the owners i hope fehr people them up,with that being said i hope they cancel the next 50 seasons i hate hockey
Hockey haters in Illinois even after all that gary's done for you?
quote
faceoff
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
faceoff
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2491
Location: Nevada
#62
Posted: 9/22/2012 1:37:13 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by NewDarkDay:

this is on the owners i hope fehr people them up,with that being said i hope they cancel the next 50 seasons i hate hockey

This is true... It is all on the owners.. Bettman works for them..... Some people just don't get it.... They just want to hear (see) themselves rant and rave without substance....... Without thinking.... 

Nobody wins this battle....  The war doesn't matter because hockey will always be 4th best in the rankings..... I was foolish enough to think they were actually making inroads in popularity.... They just put that train in reverse.....
quote
faceoff
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
faceoff
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2491
Location: Nevada
#63
Posted: 9/22/2012 1:41:12 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by potvin:

but yet your in the hockey forum. i hate people who go out of thier way to be an fool! by the way, bulls suck!


Don't let stuff like this bother you potvin..... Basketball will always be 3rd anyways...... They almost shot themselves in the foot with their strike and I'm sure they cost themselves some revenue with their arrogant bullshit..... 
quote
LanceLogan send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: bet365 |
LanceLogan
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 5186
Location: British
              Columbia
#64
Posted: 9/22/2012 3:41:06 AM
I can't see how the public can side with anybody, the only thing we know is the owners won't sign for less than a 50-50 revenue split and may be right for doing so, it's not like the financial books are up on the net for all to see.
quote
NewDarkDay
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
NewDarkDay
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1502
Location: Illinois
#65
Posted: 9/22/2012 1:30:02 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by potvin:

but yet your in the hockey forum. i hate people who go out of thier way to be an fool! by the way, bulls suck!
Im the fool?,the greedy owners lock out the players when their is a lot more revenue coming in than before the last lockout. Please,.and hockey is a awful sport to watch on TV u can barely see the puck and now the owners lock out the players and put a season in jeopardy just when the popularity was starting to increase not a good way to increase interest in a sport BETTman is a stupid MFer. (Bulls 6 time World Champions)
quote
HookEmHorns22
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
HookEmHorns22
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 21475
Location: United States
#66
Posted: 9/22/2012 10:30:44 PM
Really? Basketball is fuckin terrible 
quote
CoverLane send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
CoverLane
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 6903
Location:
#67
Posted: 9/23/2012 1:48:30 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by LanceLogan:

I can't see how the public can side with anybody, the only thing we know is the owners won't sign for less than a 50-50 revenue split and may be right for doing so, it's not like the financial books are up on the net for all to see.

exactly

people dont realize that all speculation is useless unless your one of the few who are in the close door meetings.

the lockout will end when one side gives in to the other, simple as that
quote
dashow69
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
dashow69
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2521
Location: British
              Columbia
#68
Posted: 9/23/2012 2:11:40 AM
if the owners get their way and reduce the cap which they want. players contracts get rolled back. so those big contracts would b worth considerably less. ovechkin said in interview after his khl game whats the point of givin us big contracts if we lose the money that was agreed upon. probably turn into a whole legal issue.
quote
Dangerbay send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Dangerbay
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 14606
Location: Ontario
#69
Posted: 9/23/2012 10:47:55 AM
I think cricket, nascar, basketball. baseball, rugby, mma, etc are all deplorable, but you won't find me or any other hockey fan in their forums telling them their sport sucks.  Its only basketball, baseball and football idiots that have no class and put down someone else's sport of choice.  Also, whether or not hockey is ranked #1 or #50 in popularity in the US has as much bearing and importance to a Canadian as the price of fava beans on the open market. In regards to the lockout situation, if my boss gave me 3% commission 5yrs ago and decided to reduce it to 1.5%, i have 2 choices: accept it or find employment elsewhere. 
quote
Dangerbay send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Dangerbay
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 14606
Location: Ontario
#70
Posted: 9/23/2012 11:24:02 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by faceoff:


This is true... It is all on the owners.. Bettman works for them..... Some people just don't get it.... They just want to hear (see) themselves rant and rave without substance....... Without thinking.... 

Nobody wins this battle....  The war doesn't matter because hockey will always be 4th best in the rankings..... I was foolish enough to think they were actually making inroads in popularity.... They just put that train in reverse.....
Why is hockey`s popularity of any importance to a fan?  I never understood that.  Also i STRONGLY disagree on the opinion that gary only works for the owners.  So is he paid $7,000,000.00 a yr just to gather the thoughts of all the owners?  Is that what you are thinking?  gary runs this show.  He is 100% grand pooba.  Whatever direction he decides to take this league is up to him and maybe the Leafs ownership.  It was gary's decision to expand into the sahara desert, not the owners.  The lockouts, strikes, etc are all his doings.  The league owners are MAKING MONEY and lots of it.  Even the owners of teams that are not doing so well, will profit.  THIS IS WHY WE ARE HAVING THIS LOCKOUT BECAUSE GARY IS TELLING THE PLAYERS THEY HAVE TO GIVE UP MORE OF THEIR SALARY TO PAY THE UNPROFITABLE TEAMS!!  Dallas, Carolina, Phoenix, Florida, Tampa, Columbus, Nashville, Anaheim and a few others are jokes and gary has promised these owners they will make money THRU PROFIT SHARING.  Meaning taking from the rich (ALL the Canadian teams, Det, Nyr, Flyers) and giving to the poor.  To hockey fans that understand what is happening to our sport, they recognize that gary is the cancer of this league.  To the owners, they are making tons of money and they trust gary because he`s proven to them that he`s a winner.  He`s proven to them that the fans will come back after the 2004 lockout stronger than ever.  He`s proven to them that the union is a joke and that he would smash them.  The 30 team owners unanimously locked out the players because gary told them to.  He promised them the players union have NO CHANCE in this lockout and until he`s wrong, gary will be the only decision maker of this league much to the pain and dismay of most hockey fans 
quote
NewDarkDay
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
NewDarkDay
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1502
Location: Illinois
#71
Posted: 9/23/2012 2:47:21 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Dangerbay:

Why is hockey`s popularity of any importance to a fan?  I never understood that.  Also i STRONGLY disagree on the opinion that gary only works for the owners.  So is he paid $7,000,000.00 a yr just to gather the thoughts of all the owners?  Is that what you are thinking?  gary runs this show.  He is 100% grand pooba.  Whatever direction he decides to take this league is up to him and maybe the Leafs ownership.  It was gary's decision to expand into the sahara desert, not the owners.  The lockouts, strikes, etc are all his doings.  The league owners are MAKING MONEY and lots of it.  Even the owners of teams that are not doing so well, will profit.  THIS IS WHY WE ARE HAVING THIS LOCKOUT BECAUSE GARY IS TELLING THE PLAYERS THEY HAVE TO GIVE UP MORE OF THEIR SALARY TO PAY THE UNPROFITABLE TEAMS!!  Dallas, Carolina, Phoenix, Florida, Tampa, Columbus, Nashville, Anaheim and a few others are jokes and gary has promised these owners they will make money THRU PROFIT SHARING.  Meaning taking from the rich (ALL the Canadian teams, Det, Nyr, Flyers) and giving to the poor.  To hockey fans that understand what is happening to our sport, they recognize that gary is the cancer of this league.  To the owners, they are making tons of money and they trust gary because he`s proven to them that he`s a winner.  He`s proven to them that the fans will come back after the 2004 lockout stronger than ever.  He`s proven to them that the union is a joke and that he would smash them.  The 30 team owners unanimously locked out the players because gary told them to.  He promised them the players union have NO CHANCE in this lockout and until he`s wrong, gary will be the only decision maker of this league much to the pain and dismay of most hockey fans 
guess Gary aint to smart than this is Donald Fehr running the union not the past union leaders,look at fehrs track record in baseball this wont be pretty i can guarentee that
quote
Dangerbay send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Dangerbay
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 14606
Location: Ontario
#72
Posted: 9/23/2012 5:48:19 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by NewDarkDay:

guess Gary aint to smart than this is Donald Fehr running the union not the past union leaders,look at fehrs track record in baseball this wont be pretty i can guarentee that
Donald Fehr talks in circles.  gary has never told a joke in his life and isn`t buying any of his riddles.  Fehr will be looking for another job in about 4-5 weeks from now...unfortunately. 
quote
LeRinkRat
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Las Vegas Hotel and Casino |
LeRinkRat
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 46086
Location: Nevada
#73
Posted: 9/23/2012 8:27:01 PM

I don't think the players are going to roll over for Bettman, Dangerbay, esp after the league revenue has gone from $2 billion to $3 billion over the life of the last contract. plenty of other places for at least the top players to go and get paid good money.

I would think the pressure will come from team owners on the "thin edge" like in Phoenix, Anaheim, Florida, Nashville, Carolina and even Canadian cities like Winnipeg, Edmonton and Calgary. with their "fixed costs" they can't afford to lose much revenue.

quote
LeRinkRat
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Las Vegas Hotel and Casino |
LeRinkRat
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 46086
Location: Nevada
#74
Posted: 9/23/2012 8:31:21 PM
oh and did I mention Charlie "pull your" Wang on Long Island? by by Islanders
quote
faceoff
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
faceoff
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2491
Location: Nevada
#75
Posted: 9/24/2012 1:45:09 AM
I don't think you have your facts straight... Bettman works for the owners.... The owners are the league and they have the power, not Bettman and not the Players..... 

There is no doubt.... The owners make the decisions and Bettman is their puppet.... 

Bettman is not smarter or more powerful than the 30 owners, i guarantee you that... Your write-up in nicely stated, but lacking in substance concerning the owners and their puppet Bettman...

Your a basketball guy and not seeing Hockey for what it is...
quote
Forum Index : NHL Betting : Messages Page 3 of 4  1 2 3 4  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.