Messages

Forum Index : Las Vegas : Messages Page 18 of 19 «  15 16 17 18 19   »
Author: [Las Vegas] Topic: Minimum needed to live the dream
ShadowWarrior send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
ShadowWarrior
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 7068
Location: Hawaii
#426
Posted: 7/28/2013 11:22:19 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Squirrel_Hunter:

Good post, I am considering doing this Oct. of 2014 when I retire. My pension will be $14,000/ yr or so and will have about $10K in savings. Places seem to be dirt cheap there.

Heard u can buy a home for 60k there.  Probably a repo.  Lots of islanders have transmigrated to US mainland.  Some have done very well in CA, AZ, WA and other locations.  The high cost of living here has kept many away from returning.  An article here said a home sold here might get 6 or 7homes say in Detroit, MI.   420k divided by 60k.  Probably freeze there,  heat might kill me in NV or at least the AC bills.  The place won't make you happy if you are not happy IMO.
Most of us are searching for external or material rewards for our happiness.  I learned a long time ago that you need a combination of health, wealth and harmony to have happiness and then it will all be temporary as life itself.!

quote
blindskillz send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BookMaker |
blindskillz
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 490
Location: Florida
#427
Posted: 8/1/2013 11:12:03 AM
Liked the thread alot guys, just got finished reading it. Can't wait for week 1 in a few weeks. GL
quote
Danrules24 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: South Point |
Danrules24
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3474
Location: Nevada
#428
Posted: 8/1/2013 3:15:32 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior:


Heard u can buy a home for 60k there.  Probably a repo.  Lots of islanders have transmigrated to US mainland.  Some have done very well in CA, AZ, WA and other locations.  The high cost of living here has kept many away from returning.  An article here said a home sold here might get 6 or 7homes say in Detroit, MI.   420k divided by 60k.  Probably freeze there,  heat might kill me in NV or at least the AC bills.  The place won't make you happy if you are not happy IMO.
Most of us are searching for external or material rewards for our happiness.  I learned a long time ago that you need a combination of health, wealth and harmony to have happiness and then it will all be temporary as life itself.!

I don't think you'd want to live in the areas where you can get a repo for $60k. If you want to live somewhere decent like Summerlin expect to pay at least $90 a sq ft minimum. Inventory is very low and prices are going up for any decent areas. I bought here almost a year ago to the day and my condo has gone from $138k to over $160k (based on recent comps). 1466 sq ft.

quote
Jayvegas420
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Bellagio |
Jayvegas420
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 272
Location: Canada
#429
Posted: 8/1/2013 10:58:33 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by blindskillz:

Liked the thread alot guys, just got finished reading it. Can't wait for week 1 in a few weeks. GL


By far, my favourite thread on this site.
quote
FrankPlaayer send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
FrankPlaayer
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2
Location: Nevada
#430
Posted: 8/2/2013 12:01:36 PM
It can be done...before moving, try your plays out with an online sportsbook over the course of a year, with light money. If you make money, then do it. If not, you won't have wasted moving expenses or caused the local coroner money by cleaning up the mess you left when you put the .45 underneath your chin (sorry, its the Hunter Thompson romantic in me).
quote
Jayvegas420
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Bellagio |
Jayvegas420
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 272
Location: Canada
#431
Posted: 8/2/2013 10:27:21 PM
One losing year does not a completed effort make.


I kinda get what you're saying but, I've had losing years & winning years.

Vegas provides cash in hand right after you leave your poker seat, or 2 mins. after a game ends.
Online isn't really like that.
Cash in hand is a huge advantage of gambling right in Vegas.
quote
BIGfnPOO
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
BIGfnPOO
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 15264
Location: United States
#432
Posted: 8/3/2013 3:08:13 AM
Cash in hand is a huge advantage of gambling right in Vegas.
quote
mylife23
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
mylife23
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 925
Location: California
#433
Posted: 8/6/2013 3:41:45 AM
sure is otherwise you're just looking at that total in your account and instead of cashing out each game because withdrawals are complicated and multiple withdrawals cost which annoy me lol
quote
mylife23
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
mylife23
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 925
Location: California
#434
Posted: 8/6/2013 3:43:10 AM
then you can give it all back with ease online..instead of getting that cash immediately after a game ends pending you get the win
quote
Jayvegas420
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Bellagio |
Jayvegas420
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 272
Location: Canada
#435
Posted: 9/17/2013 4:19:44 AM

RIP NewYorkSlim

OCT 2009 - AUG 2013

quote
fabdesign send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
fabdesign
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 0
Location:
#436
Posted: 9/23/2013 11:41:47 AM

If "living the dream" means NOT having a real job and ONLY betting on sports, I would highly advise against that notion.

I feel confident I could make a living at craps, but my long-term success came in an environment where I wasn't betting my rent money. Always have a job that at least pays the bills.

In craps, I would win on average 8 out of 9 times (I started by taking $800 to win $200) but you must have excellent Money Management skills. That is the key. Gamblers wust also think like bankers.

In College Football, for 3 years running, I win 2 out of every 3 bets on average. I treat all these activities like investments. I track them very closely. I make 3 bets per week, and based on my success, increase the amounts conservatively. But I my own business that pays the bills. VERY IMPORTANT. You cannot make wise decisions if your family's food ration is on the line.

Go contribute something to society. Then it'll be easier to get rich at the Sports Book off your bankroll. And you can have a ball earning your Blow Money at the Book. That's living!

quote
Crashdavis565
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
Crashdavis565
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 12762
Location: Colorado
#437
Posted: 9/23/2013 4:14:39 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by fabdesign:

If "living the dream" means NOT having a real job and ONLY betting on sports, I would highly advise against that notion.

I feel confident I could make a living at craps, but my long-term success came in an environment where I wasn't betting my rent money. Always have a job that at least pays the bills.

In craps, I would win on average 8 out of 9 times (I started by taking $800 to win $200) but you must have excellent Money Management skills. That is the key. Gamblers wust also think like bankers.

In College Football, for 3 years running, I win 2 out of every 3 bets on average. I treat all these activities like investments. I track them very closely. I make 3 bets per week, and based on my success, increase the amounts conservatively. But I my own business that pays the bills. VERY IMPORTANT. You cannot make wise decisions if your family's food ration is on the line.

Go contribute something to society. Then it'll be easier to get rich at the Sports Book off your bankroll. And you can have a ball earning your Blow Money at the Book. That's living!


People do not even understand the simplest of odds....
quote
golfkat send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Bally's Las Vegas |
golfkat
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1654
Location: New York
#438
Posted: 9/24/2013 6:56:32 PM

Here is an example of the dream gone bad.  I knew this guy, he was not that bad a gambler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYv5_WgxPo0

quote
Louis_IV
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Louis_IV
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 34224
Location: Ohio
#439
Posted: 10/25/2013 3:17:34 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by golfkat:

Here is an example of the dream gone bad.  I knew this guy, he was not that bad a gambler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYv5_WgxPo0


meyer
quote
666LES send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetDSI |
666LES
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2605
Location: New York
#440
Posted: 10/26/2013 11:13:20 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by fabdesign:

If "living the dream" means NOT having a real job and ONLY betting on sports, I would highly advise against that notion.

I feel confident I could make a living at craps, but my long-term success came in an environment where I wasn't betting my rent money. Always have a job that at least pays the bills.

In craps, I would win on average 8 out of 9 times (I started by taking $800 to win $200) but you must have excellent Money Management skills. That is the key. Gamblers wust also think like bankers.

In College Football, for 3 years running, I win 2 out of every 3 bets on average. I treat all these activities like investments. I track them very closely. I make 3 bets per week, and based on my success, increase the amounts conservatively. But I my own business that pays the bills. VERY IMPORTANT. You cannot make wise decisions if your family's food ration is on the line.

Go contribute something to society. Then it'll be easier to get rich at the Sports Book off your bankroll. And you can have a ball earning your Blow Money at the Book. That's living!

   Think like a banker? You're talking like a tourist.At best,you're a liar or a cheat and this is your first post too.Welcome to Covers.com.
quote
phillyfranko send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BookMaker |
phillyfranko
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3814
Location: Delaware
#441
Posted: 11/20/2013 5:03:13 AM
LOve this thread..Retired since Nov 09' and have been wanting to try and live in Vegas and bet sports, craps, and horses. I have won each of the last 4 years at a local casino and online...Vegas would be awesome. I can do it.
quote
KennyWoo send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
KennyWoo
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2503
Location:
#442
Posted: 2/24/2015 11:07:37 AM
Bumping this; a bit of a companion thread to CG's 'going pro' thread with a lot of similar topics discussed.
quote
666LES send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetDSI |
666LES
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2605
Location: New York
#443
Posted: 2/24/2015 5:31:45 PM

When does vanzack come in and tell the people that's been doing it that they can't be doing what they have been doing.

CollegeGambler's thread should be in Vegas Forum.

quote
Hawky
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Pinnacle Sports |
Hawky
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 1122
Location: Alberta
#444
Posted: 2/26/2015 12:26:16 AM
he was in here first, years ago
quote
mafioso send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Bellagio |
mafioso
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1608
Location: California
#445
Posted: 2/26/2015 5:39:53 AM
And rereading all of this again, I can tell you I feel the same way today as I did two years ago when I called out Slim on being a fraud and a liar.

Also Everything I wrote regarding what it would take i still stand by
A 100,000.00 dollar bankroll and you better be damn good.
quote
666LES send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetDSI |
666LES
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2605
Location: New York
#446
Posted: 2/26/2015 2:37:53 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by mafioso:

And rereading all of this again, I can tell you I feel the same way today as I did two years ago when I called out Slim on being a fraud and a liar.

Also Everything I wrote regarding what it would take i still stand by
A 100,000.00 dollar bankroll and you better be damn good.
From 1983-1991 I lived in LasVegas I never drew a paycheck and I make money betting sports and managing accounts.I started living downtown in a $55week flophouse and a bankroll of $5000. You can stand where ever you want to but I knew a hundred guys that didn't have your required standbys.Like the boys lockerroom in high school and the backrow of the various sportsbooks I use to hang all day.""Them that are talking,they don't know.Them that know,they aren't talking"" You use to work in a casino but you don't seem to know alot.
quote
mafioso send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Bellagio |
mafioso
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1608
Location: California
#447
Posted: 2/26/2015 4:07:51 PM
Barona Valley Ranch Casino in San Diego NOT LAS VEGAS
NO SPORTSBOOKS
and yes if you want to live a meager existence like you state you did above, then be my guest.

I figured if anyone wished to live comfortably and not have to treat every win and loss as a potential bankroll killer than they would need a 100K bankroll

Also LESTER, easy on the shot taking bud, I UNLIKE a-lot of cowards here have actually been seen and Iv met a fair share of members from this forum.

I too offer snide remarks towards others sometimes but unlike most of you, there is actually a name and face to me. 
quote
666LES send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetDSI |
666LES
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2605
Location: New York
#448
Posted: 2/26/2015 5:32:09 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by mafioso:

Barona Valley Ranch Casino in San Diego NOT LAS VEGAS
NO SPORTSBOOKS
and yes if you want to live a meager existence like you state you did above, then be my guest.

I figured if anyone wished to live comfortably and not have to treat every win and loss as a potential bankroll killer than they would need a 100K bankroll

Also LESTER, easy on the shot taking bud, I UNLIKE a-lot of cowards here have actually been seen and Iv met a fair share of members from this forum.

I too offer snide remarks towards others sometimes but unlike most of you, there is actually a name and face to me. 

I  It bothers me a great deal when someone who DOESN'T know what he is talking about is doubly undoubious when he blows his hole.Like I said I knew a great deal of successful sports players who didn't have 100k or weren't damn good.

I lived in that flophouse for 2 months then moved up to the strip for the rest of the 8 years i lived in LV. I full-filled your prediction for bankroll but that hardly had anything to do with making my living and I could have made my way with less then 100k.Again I knew a legion who were nowhere close to 100k but were living it.

I don't know wth you are pissing about name/face/covers.I'll repeat them that talks......

 

quote
mafioso send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Bellagio |
mafioso
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1608
Location: California
#449
Posted: 2/26/2015 6:58:01 PM
Perhaps LESTER, it is because I built my first business thru a LUCKY SPORTS BETTING YEAR, that I truly understand what the swings are, and the people you  knew werent living they were surviving, huge difference Now kindly F Off.
quote
j-walk
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
j-walk
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1351
Location: United States
#450
Posted: 2/27/2015 2:05:13 PM
Mafioso, maybe you could at least acknowledge that you are simply laying out a solid platform that people should follow when taking the pro-level plunge moving to Vegas.  I mean what you say is good advice but it's not the letter of the law.  It's not like the only people who've been successful in Vegas used the platform you laid out.  Just cause CG isn't following your 100K suggestion doesnt mean he can't make it.  Of course the odds are against him but he's there and he's going for it.  Beating this dead horse and basically telling him and everyone else that he's gonna fail because he's not following your rules.........I just don't see the point in that.
quote
Forum Index : Las Vegas : Messages Page 18 of 19 «  15 16 17 18 19   »
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.
!--*** Footer scoreboard ************ -->