Messages

Forum Index : College Football : Messages Page 2 of 2  1 2  
Author: [College Football] Topic: SEC: Bama awesome / A & M awesome
soonboomer send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
soonboomer
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 899
Location: Northern
              Mariana Islands
#26
Posted: 1/9/2013 10:58:23 PM
The talent pool is so much larger for schools with minimum academic requirements. (except Vanderbilt) . Throw in a little oversigning (A&M currently has 7 or 8 commitments in excess of available scholarships) and it continues to look like SEC domination on the horizon.
quote
StraightShooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
StraightShooter
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 23227
Location: United States
#27
Posted: 1/26/2013 1:28:56 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by lsufasteddie:

LSU loses to the eventual NC in the last minute of the game and beat to other team you say is awesome on the road but they are "meh".

Jealousy is strong in this one. Enjoy the off season. Keep telling yourselves that OSU and the likes can compete - not happening.

This genius also said Georgia (a team that was 5 yards away from a National Championship) was simply “above average.”

quote
StraightShooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
StraightShooter
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 23227
Location: United States
#28
Posted: 1/26/2013 1:32:30 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by soonboomer:

The talent pool is so much larger for schools with minimum academic requirements. (except Vanderbilt) . Throw in a little oversigning (A&M currently has 7 or 8 commitments in excess of available scholarships) and it continues to look like SEC domination on the horizon.

Yup.  I’m sure that’s the reason for the SEC’s dominance.  It has nothing to do with coaching or anything like that.  

quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5924
Location: United States
#29
Posted: 1/26/2013 1:46:56 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by StraightShooter:

This genius also said Georgia (a team that was 5 yards away from a National Championship) was simply “above average.”


I stand by my comments about both LSU and Georgia. Good teams but lets not go overboard here.
quote
Capper007 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetOnline.ag |
Capper007
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6909
Location: United States
#30
Posted: 1/28/2013 2:29:06 PM

SEC success can be attributed to 3 people

Nick saban --4

Urban meyer---2

Cam newton - 1

quote
soonboomer send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
soonboomer
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 899
Location: Northern
              Mariana Islands
#31
Posted: 1/28/2013 8:41:20 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by StraightShooter:

Yup.  I’m sure that’s the reason for the SEC’s dominance.  It has nothing to do with coaching or anything like that.  


Great players make great coaches. Saban was a .500 coach at Michigan State, and was horrible in his stint in the NFL.  Les Miles never had an elite team at Oklahoma State. Spurrier has been less than stellar at South Carolina and was a stooge in the NFL. It's a lot like training racehorses.......give me the bred-in-the-purple Kentucky bred $1 million yearlings, you take the Iowa breds or Ohio breds, and we will see who makes it to the big time. How many kids on Bama's roster could get into Notre Dame or Pedo State?  Not saying anyone is breaking any rules.....just saying that as long as academic standards aren't uniform, the playing field isn't totally even.




quote
StraightShooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
StraightShooter
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 23227
Location: United States
#32
Posted: 1/30/2013 8:54:35 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by mattbrot:


I stand by my comments about both LSU and Georgia. Good teams but lets not go overboard here.

Yes, clearly a team that was 5 yards away from winning a BCS National Championship was simply “above average.”

quote
StraightShooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
StraightShooter
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 23227
Location: United States
#33
Posted: 1/30/2013 8:57:49 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Capper007:

SEC success can be attributed to 3 people

Nick saban --4

Urban meyer---2

Cam newton - 1

Yup, only 3 people are responsible for the 9 BCS National Championships the SEC was won with 5 different teams.

quote
StraightShooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
StraightShooter
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 23227
Location: United States
#34
Posted: 1/30/2013 9:08:15 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by soonboomer:


Great players make great coaches. Saban was a .500 coach at Michigan State, and was horrible in his stint in the NFL.  Les Miles never had an elite team at Oklahoma State. Spurrier has been less than stellar at South Carolina and was a stooge in the NFL. It's a lot like training racehorses.......give me the bred-in-the-purple Kentucky bred $1 million yearlings, you take the Iowa breds or Ohio breds, and we will see who makes it to the big time. How many kids on Bama's roster could get into Notre Dame or Pedo State?  Not saying anyone is breaking any rules.....just saying that as long as academic standards aren't uniform, the playing field isn't totally even.




Of all people I would think an Oklahoma fan would know the importance of needing a good coach to win big games regardless of talent level.

If you take out the game where OU was a 20 point favorite to Connecticut “big game” Bob is 0-5 his last 5 BCS games losing by an average of over 14 points per game.

Not to mention the embarrassing 41-13 beat down A&M gave them at the Cotton Bowl a month ago.

quote
soonboomer send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
soonboomer
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 899
Location: Northern
              Mariana Islands
#35
Posted: 1/31/2013 10:27:42 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by StraightShooter:

Of all people I would think an Oklahoma fan would know the importance of needing a good coach to win big games regardless of talent level.

If you take out the game where OU was a 20 point favorite to Connecticut “big game” Bob is 0-5 his last 5 BCS games losing by an average of over 14 points per game.

Not to mention the embarrassing 41-13 beat down A&M gave them at the Cotton Bowl a month ago.


What does Oklahoma have to do with the admission standards and recruiting rules of the SEC? Since you didn't dispute any of the points of my last post, can I assume that you agree with them? 
quote
StraightShooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
StraightShooter
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 23227
Location: United States
#36
Posted: 2/1/2013 4:54:24 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by soonboomer:


What does Oklahoma have to do with the admission standards and recruiting rules of the SEC? Since you didn't dispute any of the points of my last post, can I assume that you agree with them? 

You said “great players make great coaches.”  I was pointing out that great players alone mean nothing without a capable coach.  I used OU as an example because they are always loaded with talent yet they keep getting embarrassed in the postseason because they don’t have a great coach.

Also, just curious, what do OU fans think of the nickname “big game Bob” considering he seems to lose every big postseason game he plays?

 

quote
soonboomer send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
soonboomer
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 899
Location: Northern
              Mariana Islands
#37
Posted: 2/1/2013 8:04:56 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by StraightShooter:

You said “great players make great coaches.”  I was pointing out that great players alone mean nothing without a capable coach.  I used OU as an example because they are always loaded with talent yet they keep getting embarrassed in the postseason because they don’t have a great coach.

Also, just curious, what do OU fans think of the nickname “big game Bob” considering he seems to lose every big postseason game he plays?

 


It's a misconception that OU is always "loaded with talent".  They have had one top 10 recruiting class in the last 5 years (won't have one this year either) and didn't have what I would call a "difference maker" on either side of the ball this year.  Few if any in Oklahoma have used the nickname "Big Game Bob" in some time.........that's more of a National media tag. Fact is, for whatever reason, they aren't getting the big time lineman like they used to. And then there is Landry Jones.  Great kid, but no passion.  Tremendous stats, but as for me personally, I'm glad he's gone.

Back to Stoops........I'm on the fence with him. Just before he got here, the Sooners were as bad if not worse than Bama was before Saban's arrival.  He owns the Big 12, and as long as he wins 10 games a year and, more importantly, keeps the program clean, he will be here as long as he wants.  The natives are getting restless though, more so (in my opinion) because of the decline in recruiting than anything else.  Which gets me back to my statement about great players making great coaches.  Alot of people think OU has great players.....I say, name them.
quote
mattbrot send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mattbrot
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5924
Location: United States
#38
Posted: 2/1/2013 8:13:54 PM
Stoops is a top 2 (3 at the most) coach in NCAAFB.
quote
StraightShooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
StraightShooter
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 23227
Location: United States
#39
Posted: 2/3/2013 3:08:59 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by mattbrot:

Stoops is a top 2 (3 at the most) coach in NCAAFB.

Take away the game against Connecticut where they were favored by 20 and Bob Stoops is 0-5 his last 5 BCS games losing by an average of over 14 points per game.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that sure as hell doesn’t look like a top 2 or 3 coach to me.

quote
StraightShooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
StraightShooter
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 23227
Location: United States
#40
Posted: 2/3/2013 3:13:18 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by soonboomer:


It's a misconception that OU is always "loaded with talent".  They have had one top 10 recruiting class in the last 5 years (won't have one this year either) and didn't have what I would call a "difference maker" on either side of the ball this year.  Few if any in Oklahoma have used the nickname "Big Game Bob" in some time.........that's more of a National media tag. Fact is, for whatever reason, they aren't getting the big time lineman like they used to. And then there is Landry Jones.  Great kid, but no passion.  Tremendous stats, but as for me personally, I'm glad he's gone.

Back to Stoops........I'm on the fence with him. Just before he got here, the Sooners were as bad if not worse than Bama was before Saban's arrival.  He owns the Big 12, and as long as he wins 10 games a year and, more importantly, keeps the program clean, he will be here as long as he wants.  The natives are getting restless though, more so (in my opinion) because of the decline in recruiting than anything else.  Which gets me back to my statement about great players making great coaches.  Alot of people think OU has great players.....I say, name them.

Just because they don’t always have a top 10 recruiting class doesn’t mean they don’t have a lot of talent.  It seems every time I look at the recruiting standings OU is always in the top 25 in the country.

Besides, it’s obviously not a lack of talent because OU almost always makes it to a big postseason game.  You can’t do that year after year without talent.  They just can’t win them.

Anyway, I’m done with the college football forum until August.  Have a nice offseason.

quote
kahuna57 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
kahuna57
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1083
Location: Hawaii
#41
Posted: 2/4/2013 10:42:03 PM
Wow! Big 12 > SEC?
That's horses h i t!!!! Lol
I would go rewatch all the games again and breakdown each one and give u all the reasons in the world why the SEC is better than the Big12 but I don't have that kind of time. I'll just let history an head to head do it for me.......
And this is coming from a West Coast Trojan fan.
Posted using a mobile device.
quote
dytide send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
dytide
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2995
Location: California
#42
Posted: 2/4/2013 11:32:16 PM
A & M is probably going to have 2 players go in the top 5 in this years draft.

that's gonna help even more in recruiting



quote
Forum Index : College Football : Messages Page 2 of 2  1 2  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.