Has anyone made any money betting on sports steadily throughout the past year? 'cause I did! See how

Forum: Website Promotions Page 469 of 510 «  467 468 469 470 471   »
Author: [Website Promotions] Topic: Has anyone made any money betting on sports steadily throughout the past year? 'cause I did! See how
Turbovtk PM Turbovtk
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1676
 
Turbovtk
Participation Meter
Veteran
quote#11701
Posted: 4/24/2013 7:40:24 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by jpaco:


sorry as i was referring not only on gs vs den but to all the games in playoffs that it could happen what gs did ..

Yup I am pretty sure it can happen again- but for a team to shoot like that I don't think it happens very often.

Rockets and Thunder on same pace lol but lets see if they get all the foul calls.
SportsMavin PM SportsMavin
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 5295
 
SportsMavin
Participation Meter
Banned
quote#11702
Posted: 4/24/2013 7:41:48 PM
5

SportsMavin 9-1  (25-29)

Under 187 IND Pacers - ATL Hawks

Over 188.5 SA Spurs - LA lakers

Jpaco 8-1 (52-59-2)

OKC Thunder -11.5

Over 186,5 IND Pacers - ATL Hawks

SA Spurs -8.5

AshyLarryMP 6-5 (71-70-2)

Under 187 IND Pacers - ATL Hawks

ATL Hawks +7

SA Spurs -9

Big Unit 5-5  (52-45-1)

Over 212 OKC Thunder-HOU Rockets

LA Lakers +8.5

phixer 3-5 (32-14-2)


Over 188  SA Spurs - LA Lakers

Under 187 IND Pacers - ATL Hawks

HOU Rockets +11.5

 johnnys15 0-0

SA Spurs -9

Over 212.5 OKC Thunder - HOU Rockets

(this is the first and the last  time you're posting without reasoning. In the future - if you want your picks in a contest - you have to provide the reasoning)
SportsMavin PM SportsMavin
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 5295
 
SportsMavin
Participation Meter
Banned
quote#11703
Posted: 4/24/2013 9:52:35 PM
5

SportsMavin 9-1  (25-29)

Under 187 IND Pacers - ATL Hawks

Over 188.5 SA Spurs - LA lakers

LA Lakers +9

Jpaco 8-1 (52-59-2)

OKC Thunder -11.5

Over 186,5 IND Pacers - ATL Hawks

SA Spurs -8.5

AshyLarryMP 6-5 (71-70-2)

Under 187 IND Pacers - ATL Hawks

ATL Hawks +7

SA Spurs -9

Big Unit 5-5  (52-45-1)

Over 212 OKC Thunder-HOU Rockets

LA Lakers +8.5

phixer 3-5 (32-14-2)


Over 188  SA Spurs - LA Lakers

Under 187 IND Pacers - ATL Hawks

HOU Rockets +11.5

 johnnys15 0-0

SA Spurs -9

Over 212.5 OKC Thunder - HOU Rockets

(this is the first and the last  time you're posting without reasoning. In the future - if you want your picks in a contest - you have to provide the reasoning)
jpaco PM jpaco
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 282
 
jpaco
Participation Meter
Prospect
quote#11704
Posted: 4/24/2013 10:09:58 PM
OKC

nice pick phixer 
Turbovtk PM Turbovtk
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1676
 
Turbovtk
Participation Meter
Veteran
quote#11705
Posted: 4/25/2013 12:47:22 AM
[Quote: Originally Posted by Turbovtk]

Turbovtk - 2013 NBA Playoffs


Saturday 11-0


Sunday 10-2


Monday 8-3


Tuesday 6-2


Wednesday 1-2

----------------------------

Total Playoffs 36-9


Wednesday 1-2 (leans not played due in part lack of time and also lack of conviction Over 185 B2 Pacers Game and Under 191 B2 Lakers game)


2H Over 106.5 Thunder Game filling open spot $50 L

+6.5 Rockets 2H Spread $20 W

Over 95 2H Spurs Game


2H Over seemed good on this game as both teams can shoot if they get hot but they were cold to start the half. I picked +6.5 because if the score was going to be low it would probably mean OKC not pulling away.


My system indicated 2H Over 95 last Sunday it indicated 2H Under 94 and I won that lost this one by 7. Lots of missed layups which seem to be the norm now and one more thing am noticing with the big guys in teams playing with kids gloves and they all are missing dunks or going soft on layups even when in the bonus. Based on the last 4 games for the Lakers it appears that the games are under games and so should be the 2Hs. The Lakers are in serious trouble. We are about to test if home court advantage means squat in NBA playoffs in the 1st round. I think that home court/field means more in sports like NFL and MLB because there is turf to grass, wind patterns, distances from home plate to the outfilder's walls and even the foul space around the diamond, pitching mound is also a a factor among other things. In NFL you have the weather issues some teams just don't play well in the cold, teams heavy on the pass prefer to play in domes (no wind effect etc.)


So yes the crowd, we should probably have a discussion on how big or small a factor this is i the first round. I mean the Nuggets were the best home team in the reg season and they got smacked stepped on and set on fire after having their balls chopped off the other night.


The Spurs game really should have been under, those last second baskets anything under 30 sec really are more random chance than the true nature of the game. This game was sloppy all over and I think the halves should have been a little more even than they were.


Am sure there are teams that play better at home, but that can also be attributed to weak opponents coming to their home, and seasons are long and some games even to the big dogs (heat v. spurs) mean squat. In the playoff every game is important and thus I think the home court advantage may not be such a big factor as some claim.


Todays the pattern was dog cover and under, fav covered and over and fav covered and over, part of why I leaned on the over 95 2H (aside from my other calculations which set meet or over) after watching the first two games I thought this game would go over if there was to be a pattern, as the 1H was coming to an end if the Lakers were up it would have changed my mind and I might have done their spread because it would have probably been +8 or +9. Live bet showed 204 the over for 95 would have been 199 so it was close, I did not hedge because the spread was 5 pts- I usually like a number closer to 10 to allow for the magical moments of the NBA.


We should start looking at series bets. The Nets have dropped a lot since their last loss. There is value there at EV or + Money- One to watch closely is the Nuggets series maybe a small parlay on Nets + Warriors or Nuggets and Clips may be good. Before taking the Clips series in a parlay we should see tomorrow's outcome if they lose there will be more value, if they win it will not be worth a penny. Taking series and hedging with the games could have some value if done properly.


First crippled night argggh

Don't know what tomorrow brings but I will be trying to knock them the FCK down 

SportsMavin PM SportsMavin
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 5295
 
SportsMavin
Participation Meter
Banned
quote#11706
Posted: 4/25/2013 6:56:34 AM
5

SportsMavin 9-1  (25-29)

Under 187 IND Pacers - ATL Hawks

Over 188.5 SA Spurs - LA lakers

LA Lakers +9

Jpaco 8-1 (52-59-2)

OKC Thunder -11.5

Over 186,5 IND Pacers - ATL Hawks

SA Spurs -8.5

AshyLarryMP 6-5 (71-70-2)

Under 187 IND Pacers - ATL Hawks

ATL Hawks +7

SA Spurs -9

Big Unit 5-5  (52-45-1)

Over 212 OKC Thunder-HOU Rockets

LA Lakers +8.5

phixer 3-5 (32-14-2)


Over 188  SA Spurs - LA Lakers

Under 187 IND Pacers - ATL Hawks

HOU Rockets +11.5

 johnnys15 0-0

SA Spurs -9

Over 212.5 OKC Thunder - HOU Rockets
BigUnit PM BigUnit
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 19397
 
BigUnit
Participation Meter
MVP
quote#11707
Posted: 4/25/2013 7:52:16 AM

Taking the Heat, I have the line Heat -9.  Miami 4-0 ats last 5 following ats loss.  Like Clippers, I have the line Memphis -1.  Clippers 4-1 last 5 following ats loss.  Bucks game over, expect their best effort at home being down 2 games but it wont be enough.  Over is 15-6 between these 2 last 21 meetings.

Big Unit 5-7 (52-45-1)

MIA Heat -7.5

LA Clippers +4.5

Over 194 MIL Bucks-MIA Heat

Comeback time! 

SportsMavin PM SportsMavin
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 5295
 
SportsMavin
Participation Meter
Banned
quote#11708
Posted: 4/25/2013 9:51:43 AM
All the binary traders - pay attention to my investment thread. Lots of activity because of GBP shooting up and expected move down after USD reactions following US actions
SportsMavin PM SportsMavin
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 5295
 
SportsMavin
Participation Meter
Banned
quote#11709
Posted: 4/25/2013 11:18:06 AM
PLAYOFFS 

DAY 1

10-9

+10$

DAY 2

15-5

+950$

DAY 3

11-10

Even

DAY 4

7-7

-70

DAY 5

7-9

-290
-------------------------------------

SportsMavin 10-3

jpaco 10-2

Turbovtk 4-2

KingMidasTouch  3-2

johnys15  1-1

SunDevils  2-2

Musicmatt1  3-3

AshyLarryMP  7-7

wiessen  0-1

phixer 5-6

MikeTizzy 0-2

HeatIn4   0-2

BigUnit 5-7

----------------------------------------------

50-40    +600$
SportsMavin PM SportsMavin
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 5295
 
SportsMavin
Participation Meter
Banned
quote#11710
Posted: 4/25/2013 11:19:10 AM
PLAYOFFS 

DAY 1

10-9

+10$

DAY 2

15-5

+950$

DAY 3

11-10

Even

DAY 4

7-7

-70

DAY 5

7-9

-290
-------------------------------------

jpaco 10-2

SportsMavin 10-3

Turbovtk 4-2

KingMidasTouch  3-2

johnys15  1-1

SunDevils  2-2

Musicmatt1  3-3

AshyLarryMP  7-7

wiessen  0-1

phixer 5-6

MikeTizzy 0-2

HeatIn4   0-2

BigUnit 5-7

----------------------------------------------

50-40    +600$
MaxiMILLION PM MaxiMILLION
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 22
 
MaxiMILLION
Participation Meter
Prospect
quote#11711
Posted: 4/25/2013 11:38:06 AM
As one who grew on sports gambling at home - I'll try to have some positive impact here besides what I'm trying to do with the Binary Options trading.


I know the rules of the contest - so let's go!

The Bulls very well know that if they win today and protect the home court advantage they acquired after an away win in Brooklyn - their path can be clear to the next ground assuming they will win the game after as well.
But, I tend to agree with those of you who have stressed some doubts about transparency of the first games in the series and it can very well go back to Brooklyn with the series tied at 2.
However - tonight it is the Bulls all the way.

I also with side with the Grizzlies tonight as I don't see them being swept.

I will side with the King and the boys to win and cover in Milwaukee.

MaxiMILLION 0-0 

CHI Bulls -3.5

MEM Grizzlies -4.5

MIA Heat -7

SportsMavin PM SportsMavin
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 5295
 
SportsMavin
Participation Meter
Banned
quote#11712
Posted: 4/25/2013 11:43:48 AM
I don't see that little points being scored in Chicago. 

Over 181.5  CHI Bulls - BKN Nets

CHI Bulls -3.5 


SportsMavin PM SportsMavin
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 5295
 
SportsMavin
Participation Meter
Banned
quote#11713
Posted: 4/25/2013 11:46:50 AM
6

SportsMavin 10-3 (25-29)

Over 181.5  CHI Bulls - BKN Nets

CHI Bulls -3.5 

MaxiMILLION 0-0 

CHI Bulls -3.5

MEM Grizzlies -4.5

MIA Heat -7

Big Unit 5-7 (52-45-1)

MIA Heat -7.5

LA Clippers +4.5

Over 194 MIL Bucks-MIA Heat



Turbovtk PM Turbovtk
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1676
 
Turbovtk
Participation Meter
Veteran
quote#11714
Posted: 4/25/2013 12:04:32 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by MaxiMILLION:

As one who grew on sports gambling at home - I'll try to have some positive impact here besides what I'm trying to do with the Binary Options trading.


I know the rules of the contest - so let's go!

The Bulls very well know that if they win today and protect the home court advantage they acquired after an away win in Brooklyn - their path can be clear to the next ground assuming they will win the game after as well.
But, I tend to agree with those of you who have stressed some doubts about transparency of the first games in the series and it can very well go back to Brooklyn with the series tied at 2.
However - tonight it is the Bulls all the way.

I also with side with the Grizzlies tonight as I don't see them being swept.

I will side with the King and the boys to win and cover in Milwaukee.

MaxiMILLION 0-0 

CHI Bulls -3.5

MEM Grizzlies -4.5

MIA Heat -7


I have asked before and no one really seems to be interested so I will ask you since you brought up the home court advantage-

Bedsides the crowd what is the real advantage of home court in the NBA? just want to have a little back and fourth on this. 
MaxiMILLION PM MaxiMILLION
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 22
 
MaxiMILLION
Participation Meter
Prospect
quote#11715
Posted: 4/25/2013 12:17:33 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Turbovtk:


I have asked before and no one really seems to be interested so I will ask you since you brought up the home court advantage-

Bedsides the crowd what is the real advantage of home court in the NBA? just want to have a little back and fourth on this. 
You gotta be kidding Turbovtk. The meaning of home court advantage in a sports entertainment section of show business is immense : the re would be almost no fans of any teams if you dismissed that advantage. There would be no sales of attributed team items, there would be no local TV network contracts. Not in a scale the League strategists want. Now, how do you implement that home advantage - by the refs usually. And how do you do that? By calling against the home team meaningless fouls in the first half of the game only to offset at the end of the game in the home team's advantage. Another way is through the owners of the teams who share the revenues and understand that winning all the games everywhere will not make the sales the way if every fan felt that his team can win against any team. And the last but not the least are the players themselves who bring much more effort at home understanding that being a franchise player also means fulfilling the goals of getting a local crowd addicted to the home team. Look at the Seattle (my home town example) as with Supersonics who became the Kings and are now about to leave Sacto too as the whole organization did not learn how to win the local hearts by being a successful team at least once in a while and bring the players that leave it all on court
Turbovtk PM Turbovtk
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1676
 
Turbovtk
Participation Meter
Veteran
quote#11716
Posted: 4/25/2013 12:53:58 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by MaxiMILLION:

You gotta be kidding Turbovtk. The meaning of home court advantage in a sports entertainment section of show business is immense : the re would be almost no fans of any teams if you dismissed that advantage. There would be no sales of attributed team items, there would be no local TV network contracts. Not in a scale the League strategists want. Now, how do you implement that home advantage - by the refs usually. And how do you do that? By calling against the home team meaningless fouls in the first half of the game only to offset at the end of the game in the home team's advantage. Another way is through the owners of the teams who share the revenues and understand that winning all the games everywhere will not make the sales the way if every fan felt that his team can win against any team. And the last but not the least are the players themselves who bring much more effort at home understanding that being a franchise player also means fulfilling the goals of getting a local crowd addicted to the home team. Look at the Seattle (my home town example) as with Supersonics who became the Kings and are now about to leave Sacto too as the whole organization did not learn how to win the local hearts by being a successful team at least once in a while and bring the players that leave it all on court

I was not kidding by a long stretch. As you know also I was not referring to sports in general, was referring to the NBA- If you are saying that the Refs do home cooking that should be categorized as a Ref issue, sort of like when the refs are (over refs, under refs, maybe there are refs that are pro home team, pro away team) this weekend I saw alot of youtube videos on how their was a time when refs just ganged up on Iverson.

As you also may have read I was referring to the home court specifics and Cliff pointed out to me how the altitude helps the Nuggets run the competition out of the building (although the last game that played in very little but most of the season proved to be true by their minimal 3 loses at home. In other sports as also stated there are advantages, turf to grass, short left fields like the Yanks have (only applies if the opponent has people that wouldn't also hit that way and if the other team pitches for the Yanks to hit that way etc. There are Domes where in the NFL plays a big rol for teams like the Lions, Cowboys, Falcons and Saints who like to throw the ball, but that can also play against you when teams like Packers, Patriots among others come to your home because that is also what they do.

The reason I ask is because I see the lines being set up in the playoffs more than in the regular season to give the edge to the home team, whether by a lower line to the visiting fav or by automatically making the home team a fav. I won't get into the whole ref and business of the NBA as you pointed because while that may be true in the regular season, I don't think it applies to the playoff because the goal is to win a championship and am sure Lebron, Durant, Parker, CP3 can care less if they play at my old HS or at home. During the regular season I can see the effort lacking, but at this stage I think talent and effort should (does not mean it would) be on over drive, does this translate to winning not all the time but you have to do your best if you want to the ring.

I had a similar theory when it came to owners etc. Have not researched it much but if that were true it would also mean that most series should be forced into 7 games, more games, more tickets, more concession sales more money, the Heat series should go 7 so that more money goes to the Heat by going back home. While this would prove to be beneficial to most parties involved it can back fire and it really implies unethical doing by the owners and refs (trust me I have been on both sides of refs that have got to be placing third party bets somewhere) good example the Heat Bulls game that ended the streak. If what you want is drama and entertainment and revenue the idea was to keep the streak going not to make a cartoon out of this game. I have never seen a backourt 8 sec violation be over turned, that is like overturning a foul (while they do get the chance to grade them differently they don't take fouls back like they do in the NFL when sometimes they will pick up the flag) at least I have not seen it.

So as my questions stated besides the CROWD  go team go. As well as the recently discussed Denver altitude advantage, what else should we be looking for if we don't buy into the money side of the business? Some may say it is a business and that is all that matters... in other to what you say to happen everyone has to be in on it including the players, if that is the case then we are in more trouble than I thought, always weary of the refs but if all you bring into the post is true it would mean that the best team is not the one that is going to win it all.

penball PM penball
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
 
penball
Participation Meter
Prospect
quote#11717
Posted: 4/25/2013 12:59:07 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by SportsMavin:

1. Should I handicap my own games?
There are few conditions before you go throwing the money at the books. The first and utmost is Money Management. So, what really means money management?  
A. Setting up your bankroll. 
B. Deciding how many games at the same time are you going to wager. 
C. Deciding if you're going to wager the halftimes and participate in live betting.
D. Setting the maximal juice you're willing to pay and choosing the book/s accordingly.
E. Calculating how many losses you can afford without being affected pocket wise.
F. Calculating the size of the wager and deciding if it is going to be a straight bet (100$ to win 90$ by the odds of -110, or betting 110$ to win 100$ - for an example).
G. Deciding if you at any stage are going to take parlay bets or not. Because, if you do - you should look at your money management in a different way and set some amount aside for those kind of adventures.
Bucktown PM Bucktown
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 35
 
Bucktown
Participation Meter
Prospect
quote#11718
Posted: 4/25/2013 1:54:43 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Turbovtk:


I was not kidding by a long stretch. As you know also I was not referring to sports in general, was referring to the NBA- If you are saying that the Refs do home cooking that should be categorized as a Ref issue, sort of like when the refs are (over refs, under refs, maybe there are refs that are pro home team, pro away team) this weekend I saw alot of youtube videos on how their was a time when refs just ganged up on Iverson.

As you also may have read I was referring to the home court specifics and Cliff pointed out to me how the altitude helps the Nuggets run the competition out of the building (although the last game that played in very little but most of the season proved to be true by their minimal 3 loses at home. In other sports as also stated there are advantages, turf to grass, short left fields like the Yanks have (only applies if the opponent has people that wouldn't also hit that way and if the other team pitches for the Yanks to hit that way etc. There are Domes where in the NFL plays a big rol for teams like the Lions, Cowboys, Falcons and Saints who like to throw the ball, but that can also play against you when teams like Packers, Patriots among others come to your home because that is also what they do.

The reason I ask is because I see the lines being set up in the playoffs more than in the regular season to give the edge to the home team, whether by a lower line to the visiting fav or by automatically making the home team a fav. I won't get into the whole ref and business of the NBA as you pointed because while that may be true in the regular season, I don't think it applies to the playoff because the goal is to win a championship and am sure Lebron, Durant, Parker, CP3 can care less if they play at my old HS or at home. During the regular season I can see the effort lacking, but at this stage I think talent and effort should (does not mean it would) be on over drive, does this translate to winning not all the time but you have to do your best if you want to the ring.

I had a similar theory when it came to owners etc. Have not researched it much but if that were true it would also mean that most series should be forced into 7 games, more games, more tickets, more concession sales more money, the Heat series should go 7 so that more money goes to the Heat by going back home. While this would prove to be beneficial to most parties involved it can back fire and it really implies unethical doing by the owners and refs (trust me I have been on both sides of refs that have got to be placing third party bets somewhere) good example the Heat Bulls game that ended the streak. If what you want is drama and entertainment and revenue the idea was to keep the streak going not to make a cartoon out of this game. I have never seen a backourt 8 sec violation be over turned, that is like overturning a foul (while they do get the chance to grade them differently they don't take fouls back like they do in the NFL when sometimes they will pick up the flag) at least I have not seen it.

So as my questions stated besides the CROWD  go team go. As well as the recently discussed Denver altitude advantage, what else should we be looking for if we don't buy into the money side of the business? Some may say it is a business and that is all that matters... in other to what you say to happen everyone has to be in on it including the players, if that is the case then we are in more trouble than I thought, always weary of the refs but if all you bring into the post is true it would mean that the best team is not the one that is going to win it all.

You could also look at the tactile strength of the rim.  In some arenas, rims are loose and in others, they're tight.  Also, when you're at home, you're familiar with the court you play on.  Just as in baseball, fielders get a cleaner and better jump on balls hit to them, in basketball, there are subtle differences in the hardwood an experienced basketball  team could take advantage of.  While it may be safe to assume that all the hardwood in the NBA is uniform, all it takes is a possession or two to swing a game in home court's favor and hence, the series.  More than anything else though, as you've mentioned, I think crowd advantage plays the biggest factor.  Its damn near impossible to put a value on it because every situation varies but there aren't many athletes in general with skin thick enough to block out the noise and do their job.  
Bucktown PM Bucktown
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 35
 
Bucktown
Participation Meter
Prospect
quote#11719
Posted: 4/25/2013 1:54:58 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Turbovtk:


I was not kidding by a long stretch. As you know also I was not referring to sports in general, was referring to the NBA- If you are saying that the Refs do home cooking that should be categorized as a Ref issue, sort of like when the refs are (over refs, under refs, maybe there are refs that are pro home team, pro away team) this weekend I saw alot of youtube videos on how their was a time when refs just ganged up on Iverson.

As you also may have read I was referring to the home court specifics and Cliff pointed out to me how the altitude helps the Nuggets run the competition out of the building (although the last game that played in very little but most of the season proved to be true by their minimal 3 loses at home. In other sports as also stated there are advantages, turf to grass, short left fields like the Yanks have (only applies if the opponent has people that wouldn't also hit that way and if the other team pitches for the Yanks to hit that way etc. There are Domes where in the NFL plays a big rol for teams like the Lions, Cowboys, Falcons and Saints who like to throw the ball, but that can also play against you when teams like Packers, Patriots among others come to your home because that is also what they do.

The reason I ask is because I see the lines being set up in the playoffs more than in the regular season to give the edge to the home team, whether by a lower line to the visiting fav or by automatically making the home team a fav. I won't get into the whole ref and business of the NBA as you pointed because while that may be true in the regular season, I don't think it applies to the playoff because the goal is to win a championship and am sure Lebron, Durant, Parker, CP3 can care less if they play at my old HS or at home. During the regular season I can see the effort lacking, but at this stage I think talent and effort should (does not mean it would) be on over drive, does this translate to winning not all the time but you have to do your best if you want to the ring.

I had a similar theory when it came to owners etc. Have not researched it much but if that were true it would also mean that most series should be forced into 7 games, more games, more tickets, more concession sales more money, the Heat series should go 7 so that more money goes to the Heat by going back home. While this would prove to be beneficial to most parties involved it can back fire and it really implies unethical doing by the owners and refs (trust me I have been on both sides of refs that have got to be placing third party bets somewhere) good example the Heat Bulls game that ended the streak. If what you want is drama and entertainment and revenue the idea was to keep the streak going not to make a cartoon out of this game. I have never seen a backourt 8 sec violation be over turned, that is like overturning a foul (while they do get the chance to grade them differently they don't take fouls back like they do in the NFL when sometimes they will pick up the flag) at least I have not seen it.

So as my questions stated besides the CROWD  go team go. As well as the recently discussed Denver altitude advantage, what else should we be looking for if we don't buy into the money side of the business? Some may say it is a business and that is all that matters... in other to what you say to happen everyone has to be in on it including the players, if that is the case then we are in more trouble than I thought, always weary of the refs but if all you bring into the post is true it would mean that the best team is not the one that is going to win it all.

You could also look at the tactile strength of the rim.  In some arenas, rims are loose and in others, they're tight.  Also, when you're at home, you're familiar with the court you play on.  Just as in baseball, fielders get a cleaner and better jump on balls hit to them, in basketball, there are subtle differences in the hardwood an experienced basketball  team could take advantage of.  While it may be safe to assume that all the hardwood in the NBA is uniform, all it takes is a possession or two to swing a game in home court's favor and hence, the series.  More than anything else though, as you've mentioned, I think crowd advantage plays the biggest factor.  Its damn near impossible to put a value on it because every situation varies but there aren't many athletes in general with skin thick enough to block out the noise and do their job.  
Turbovtk PM Turbovtk
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1676
 
Turbovtk
Participation Meter
Veteran
quote#11720
Posted: 4/25/2013 2:16:12 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Bucktown:

You could also look at the tactile strength of the rim.  In some arenas, rims are loose and in others, they're tight.  Also, when you're at home, you're familiar with the court you play on.  Just as in baseball, fielders get a cleaner and better jump on balls hit to them, in basketball, there are subtle differences in the hardwood an experienced basketball  team could take advantage of.  While it may be safe to assume that all the hardwood in the NBA is uniform, all it takes is a possession or two to swing a game in home court's favor and hence, the series.  More than anything else though, as you've mentioned, I think crowd advantage plays the biggest factor.  Its damn near impossible to put a value on it because every situation varies but there aren't many athletes in general with skin thick enough to block out the noise and do their job.  

I have discussed some would say argue- with the Rim issue before, it is a very good point, also you would think that a team that dunks more would have to some how affect its home court baskets as. Some people are just wild at dunking like Asik yesterday I don't know how the basket frame (arm that brings the basket from outside to the court) The one thing they can't do unless they always plan to have only an advantage in one half is rigging one rim. One thing I also wonder is places where the courts are not only for them, like LA MSG Orlando etc.
Bucktown PM Bucktown
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 35
 
Bucktown
Participation Meter
Prospect
quote#11721
Posted: 4/25/2013 2:47:31 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Turbovtk:


I have discussed some would say argue- with the Rim issue before, it is a very good point, also you would think that a team that dunks more would have to some how affect its home court baskets as. Some people are just wild at dunking like Asik yesterday I don't know how the basket frame (arm that brings the basket from outside to the court) The one thing they can't do unless they always plan to have only an advantage in one half is rigging one rim. One thing I also wonder is places where the courts are not only for them, like LA MSG Orlando etc.

I don't know about other arenas but in LA, the Clips and the Lakers have their own hardwood court.  They don't share it.
Turbovtk PM Turbovtk
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1676
 
Turbovtk
Participation Meter
Veteran
quote#11722
Posted: 4/25/2013 3:03:15 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Bucktown:


I don't know about other arenas but in LA, the Clips and the Lakers have their own hardwood court.  They don't share it.

Yeah while they share the same arena the court its different- it has to be because of the logos. I have seen them change it, it is pretty cool. So other than the fan it is an interesting situation on who really has home court- I guess the wood could make a diff. I also wonder if the shot clocks and other clocks have any effect.
jpaco PM jpaco
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 282
 
jpaco
Participation Meter
Prospect
quote#11723
Posted: 4/25/2013 3:31:12 PM
Homecourt is big advantage because not only the players are familar on the court and have the fans but they are also going to the game all comfy coming from their own house, sleeping on their own bed, seing their family that motivates them, doing their daily routine... Can u imagine those visiting team going to stay on a hotel and not used to everything? Some people can't sleep good if its not their own bed and rest is big in the game of basketball.... So bottomline for me that its just being so used and comfortable on everything makes homecourt advantage BIG 
Perikid PM Perikid
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
 
Perikid
Participation Meter
Prospect
quote#11724
Posted: 4/25/2013 3:31:44 PM
My picks for tonight will be in the Bulls, because I think will be best at everything

CHICAGO -3.5
LoLITiltU PM LoLITiltU
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 54
 
LoLITiltU
Participation Meter
Prospect
quote#11725
Posted: 4/25/2013 4:10:49 PM
best reasoning I've seen in a while 
Forum: Website Promotions Page 469 of 510 «  467 468 469 470 471   »
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.