Messages

Forum Index : General Discussion : Messages Page 206 of 215 «  204 205 206 207 208   »
Author: [General Discussion] Topic: If Christ died on the cross for all of humanity
HutchEmAll send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
HutchEmAll
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 37864
Location: Minnesota
#5126
Posted: 3/2/2012 5:58:59 PM
Whatever makes you feel better.  

Still waiting to find out why it took thousands of years for people to have an "enlightened" vision of God.  

I pray that some of these atheist see the error of their ways 

Why?  People pray all the time and their prayers are not answered.  
You say you don't know well Jesus knows and he wants you to follow him.

It's impossible for you to know this.  

SJD they're dead inside. They are imprisoned by their own fears. 

Assumption on your part.  Not exactly a Christian trait if you ask me.  

Mikniks I pray that you don't become jaded like these other fools on this thread. 

You should be above this.  I haven't called you a fool during this discussion.  I respect you even though I may have many questions. It's unfortunate you couldn't pay others in this thread the same respect even if they insulted you.  
___________

Any response to this?
quote
smoothd20
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
smoothd20
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 4875
Location: Oregon
#5127
Posted: 3/3/2012 10:42:19 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by HutchEmAll:

It never fails to amaze me how praising God is considered scary by atheist.
_______________

I'm not an athiest because I admit I don't know, but do you really think it's "scary" to praise God for people who do not believe?  It's not scary to them, it's just that they don't believe.  If they were scared, they would likely praise God due to their fear.  I do not believe in Unicorns....therefore, I will not praise them. Does that mean I'm scared of them?

You had me going for a little bit, but you're losing me.  
I'm not talking about atheists or anyone being of "afraid" of God. God doesn't want you to "fear" him. I'm referring to the attacks that the atheist unleash on people of faith who praise God. Those attacks are based on fear. If you don't believe in God why would you (not you personally but you in general) attack people who do. This is the entire atheist philosophy and they have it in common with fundamentalist of all stripes. Whether they're Christian, Muslim, Hindu or person. Fundamentalism is ruled by fear. Atheists are fearful so they attack. As you say I don't believe in Unicorns either but I wouldn't argue with people everyday who do. Why? If you don't believe so be it. Why argue, discuss or even entertain thoughts that you don't believe in. 
quote
smoothd20
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
smoothd20
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 4875
Location: Oregon
#5128
Posted: 3/3/2012 10:48:54 AM
In regards to your statement  about fanatics believe what they believe just as fervent as me. This is correct but what makes their belief in error is because it's based on man's law not God's. Look let's keep this simple. God is about 2 things and 2 things only- Love and Forgiveness. All else comes from man. That is the simple way of looking at things. The fundamentalist view regardless of what they say or what others say about how hard they believe isn't from God. The need to control other people using religion as an excuse is what Jesus talked about in his issues with the Pharisees. Fundamentalist seek control they're not seeking God but they're using God as the excuse. Just because they say God wants this or God wants that doesn't make it so unless it's based on  Love and Forgiveness. Me telling you what to wear and all these arbitrary rules has nothing to do with that. 
quote
smoothd20
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
smoothd20
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 4875
Location: Oregon
#5129
Posted: 3/3/2012 10:53:21 AM
I can't speak on the entire race of man's lack of spiritual development. I can only speak to my own. So why it has taken us Millions of years to realize certain truths I don't know. But maybe we knew the truth before and for some reason we lost it through the destruction of previous civilizations that have existed on this Earth prior to ours. These are some of the questions that remain unanswered about our existence on this planet.  
quote
smoothd20
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
smoothd20
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 4875
Location: Oregon
#5130
Posted: 3/3/2012 11:30:08 AM
Just to be clear. This isn't about me trying to "feel better". Regardless of what atheist say I KNOW that their is a God. I could care less whether you believe it or not. Your lack of belief in God doesn't make him not exist. I know you guys will say that my belief will not make him exist and that's true but the reality is God is so therefore my belief or lack thereof has no bearing on the truth. There is a philosophy that this is all a dream world and we really don't exist. Now for the people that believe this you and I don't even exist. I can't speak for you but I KNOW I exist so for someone to tell me that I'm part of somebody's dream has no bearing on the truth. They're are Truths, Facts and Laws that exist on this plane. 
Atheists seek God in facts and evidence. You won't find God there. Love is a truth. There is no evidence that Love exists but we see the effects of Love all around us. We also see the effects of hate all around us. There is no evidence that hate exists only the effects of hate. Forgiveness isn't a fact. There is no evidence of forgiveness, only the effects of forgiveness. 
God is a Truth, Love is a Truth, Hate is a Truth, Forgiveness is a Truth. God created Universal Law as the impersonal Judge of the Universe. This is where we get Cause and Effect. Universal Law is immutable and a non respecter of persons as I stated. You can't argue with Universal Law. You can't say well I don't believe in Universal Law. Well you can say it but it doesn't have any effect on the Law. Universal Law is what prevents pure evil from taking over the world. 
Because we have free will, we make our choices based on this free will. Our choices become the Cause and Effect that determines our lives. As you mature you learn supposedly to make better choices that align with Universal Law. Atheists have decided to opt out of the process by denying Truths and Laws. They have decided to pursue a course of only finding facts and in so doing have built their lives on deceit and lies. How is it a lie? Because when you deny the very existence of that which you are you have denied the essence of all that there is. The facts you find don't necessarily add up to the truth. Example-Fact At one point we thought objects couldn't  travel more than the speed of light. Truth-Objects can move much faster than the speed of light.  Facts can change based on our knowledge at the time. Truths never change because they're eternal. Let he who has ears listen. Let he who has a seeking heart seek the Truth and seek the One who has made this all possible. 
quote
mbutt send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
mbutt
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Location:
#5131
Posted: 3/3/2012 12:16:41 PM
 Jesus was God himself morons.And God loved HIS creation enough to sent his son to save it, period. Way to go Butler! won again.
quote
RJSmith send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
RJSmith
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 7618
Location: Sweden
#5132
Posted: 3/3/2012 12:55:22 PM
The U.S is like Iran.
Different religion - but fundamentally the same.

Believing the planet is just 5.000 years old is plain ignorant.
Some Americans probably think "The Flintstones" is a documentary.
quote
OakleyDoak
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Pinnacle Sports |
OakleyDoak
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1092
Location: Ohio
#5133
Posted: 3/3/2012 1:36:56 PM

Do you have children ? If not,would you like to be a parent someday ?
If yes, then : We all know that we bring children into an imperfect world;but,we still want to have kids and experience being a parent.
Isn't this precisely what GOD did ?

When our children ask us for something that we know they're not mature and responsible enough to handle - we simply don't acquiesce ! But,we love our children nonetheless,don't we ?

When we pray for whatever,and GOD doesn't acquiesce - that doesn't mean that he is non-existent,or doesn't love us (his child-creation),right ?

I think a lot of people simply don't want to face the truth that at their age or after their experiences in life,that they just aren't spiritually mature or consistent, according to GOD's will and plan for them.

When some don't understand,they "doubt."

"You will never understand who you are until you understand who GOD is." ~ Billy Graham ~ : The Journey

I say : Be patient and faithful as you cultivate your relationship with the Creator.
And yes,I'm a follower of Christianity.

GOD BLESS EVERYONE !!

quote
Mikniks send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Mikniks
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1382
Location: New York
#5134
Posted: 3/3/2012 3:30:06 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by OakleyDoak:

Do you have children ? If not,would you like to be a parent someday ?
If yes, then : We all know that we bring children into an imperfect world;but,we still want to have kids and experience being a parent.
Isn't this precisely what GOD did ?


Wouldn't you say that bringing children into an imperfect world is selfish?  You say you do it because you want to be a parent, despite the fact that the world is a shitty place and your kid will have a tough time like everyone else.  That's pretty selfish.  So your god is selfish now too??  It's bad enough that apparently he's also a jealous god...
quote
OakleyDoak
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Pinnacle Sports |
OakleyDoak
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1092
Location: Ohio
#5135
Posted: 3/3/2012 4:51:15 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Mikniks:


Wouldn't you say that bringing children into an imperfect world is selfish?  You say you do it because you want to be a parent, despite the fact that the world is a shitty place and your kid will have a tough time like everyone else.  That's pretty selfish.  So your god is selfish now too??  It's bad enough that apparently he's also a jealous god...


I'm not a parent !
And yes,I think that some people want to experience parenthood because at their base character lies some degree of selfishness.
But,also,a lot of people want to spring forth life and try to love,teach,protect,and support their progeny,with the intention to treasure the most sophisticated lifeform on our planet.

If we plant flowers to appreciate their beauty,are we selfish because we know they will wither and die ? OR,for that matter,what about any lifeform or vegetables that we grow simply to devour ?

The contrast between GOOD and EVIL,or FINE and SHITTY(your word),may be wherein lies the essence of the BEAUTY of this life.

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do.There can be no courage unless you're scared." ~Eddie Rickenbacker~  WW I flying ace.

I believe it takes courage to want to rear children in this world.
I also believe GOD wants us to be strong in faith and courageous in seeking him and his goodness.

I hope you will refresh your spirit by praying with an open mind and heart...I'm sure you've tried...Don't stop !
I believe you're closer to GOD than you realize.I believe this is how he tests our faith and resolve !!

The best to you and yours

quote
OakleyDoak
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Pinnacle Sports |
OakleyDoak
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1092
Location: Ohio
#5136
Posted: 3/3/2012 4:52:08 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Mikniks:


Wouldn't you say that bringing children into an imperfect world is selfish?  You say you do it because you want to be a parent, despite the fact that the world is a shitty place and your kid will have a tough time like everyone else.  That's pretty selfish.  So your god is selfish now too??  It's bad enough that apparently he's also a jealous god...


I'm not a parent !
And yes,I think that some people want to experience parenthood because at their base character lies some degree of selfishness.
But,also,a lot of people want to spring forth life and try to love,teach,protect,and support their progeny,with the intention to treasure the most sophisticated lifeform on our planet.

If we plant flowers to appreciate their beauty,are we selfish because we know they will wither and die ? OR,for that matter,what about any lifeform or vegetables that we grow simply to devour ?

The contrast between GOOD and EVIL,or FINE and SHITTY(your word),may be wherein lies the essence of the BEAUTY of this life.

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do.There can be no courage unless you're scared." ~Eddie Rickenbacker~  WW I flying ace.

I believe it takes courage to want to rear children in this world.
I also believe GOD wants us to be strong in faith and courageous in seeking him and his goodness.

I hope you will refresh your spirit by praying with an open mind and heart...I'm sure you've tried...Don't stop !
I believe you're closer to GOD than you realize.I believe this is how he tests our faith and resolve !!

The best to you and yours

quote
smoothd20
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
smoothd20
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 4875
Location: Oregon
#5137
Posted: 3/3/2012 7:05:37 PM
Excellent points Oakley Doak and it's good to see some fresh theist faces on this thread. You sir are a breath of fresh of air. Thanks for bringing the point home. 
quote
OakleyDoak
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Pinnacle Sports |
OakleyDoak
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1092
Location: Ohio
#5138
Posted: 3/3/2012 11:49:18 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by smoothd20:

Excellent points Oakley Doak and it's good to see some fresh theist faces on this thread. You sir are a breath of fresh of air. Thanks for bringing the point home. 
quote
SirJohnDrake send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
SirJohnDrake
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 12573
Location: United States
#5139
Posted: 3/4/2012 1:16:35 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by smoothd20:

Just to be clear. This isn't about me trying to "feel better". Regardless of what atheist say I KNOW that their is a God. I could care less whether you believe it or not. Your lack of belief in God doesn't make him not exist. I know you guys will say that my belief will not make him exist and that's true but the reality is God is so therefore my belief or lack thereof has no bearing on the truth. There is a philosophy that this is all a dream world and we really don't exist. Now for the people that believe this you and I don't even exist. I can't speak for you but I KNOW I exist so for someone to tell me that I'm part of somebody's dream has no bearing on the truth. They're are Truths, Facts and Laws that exist on this plane. 
Atheists seek God in facts and evidence. You won't find God there. Love is a truth. There is no evidence that Love exists but we see the effects of Love all around us. We also see the effects of hate all around us. There is no evidence that hate exists only the effects of hate. Forgiveness isn't a fact. There is no evidence of forgiveness, only the effects of forgiveness. 
God is a Truth, Love is a Truth, Hate is a Truth, Forgiveness is a Truth. God created Universal Law as the impersonal Judge of the Universe. This is where we get Cause and Effect. Universal Law is immutable and a non respecter of persons as I stated. You can't argue with Universal Law. You can't say well I don't believe in Universal Law. Well you can say it but it doesn't have any effect on the Law. Universal Law is what prevents pure evil from taking over the world. 
Because we have free will, we make our choices based on this free will. Our choices become the Cause and Effect that determines our lives. As you mature you learn supposedly to make better choices that align with Universal Law. Atheists have decided to opt out of the process by denying Truths and Laws. They have decided to pursue a course of only finding facts and in so doing have built their lives on deceit and lies. How is it a lie? Because when you deny the very existence of that which you are you have denied the essence of all that there is. The facts you find don't necessarily add up to the truth. Example-Fact At one point we thought objects couldn't  travel more than the speed of light. Truth-Objects can move much faster than the speed of light.  Facts can change based on our knowledge at the time. Truths never change because they're eternal. Let he who has ears listen. Let he who has a seeking heart seek the Truth and seek the One who has made this all possible. 

quote
smoothd20
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
smoothd20
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 4875
Location: Oregon
#5140
Posted: 3/4/2012 5:37:13 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by SirJohnDrake:

quote
smoothd20
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
smoothd20
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 4875
Location: Oregon
#5141
Posted: 3/5/2012 1:08:12 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by RJSmith:

The U.S is like Iran.
Different religion - but fundamentally the same.

Believing the planet is just 5.000 years old is plain ignorant.
Some Americans probably think "The Flintstones" is a documentary.
Not everybody believes that. But I would equate believing the Earth is 5000 years old to the atheists believing that this is all one big accident. Both philosophies are fundamentally flawed and based on a fantasy. Fundamentalist and atheist have a lot in common. They just don't want to admit it. 
quote
Mikniks send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Mikniks
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1382
Location: New York
#5142
Posted: 3/5/2012 2:30:37 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by smoothd20:

Not everybody believes that. But I would equate believing the Earth is 5000 years old to the atheists believing that this is all one big accident. Both philosophies are fundamentally flawed and based on a fantasy. Fundamentalist and atheist have a lot in common. They just don't want to admit it. 


The problem most believers are having is understanding probability.  It really all depends on how many trials there were.  The more trials, the more likelihood of a specific event occurring.

Example: If the chances of an event are 1 in a million, and there was only going to be a single trial, then I'd say the likelihood of that event occurring are VERY low.  If you tell me there will be 1 million trials, then the event is almost certain to occur.

That is why there is almost a 100% probability of life existing on another planet in the universe.  SJD couldn't seem to grasp the concept, but that didn't surprise me.  Life on this planet is living proof that life can exist in this universe, and with the massive amount of planets in the universe, it is almost a certainty that life exists elsewhere.  It is funny to me that SJD laughs at the idea of life on other planets.  Ignorance must truly be bliss.  I almost sometimes wish I was ignorant as well, but I digress.


I also wanted to ask you something smooth.  You say you're not a man of religion, but a man of god.  You say this, but you proclaim Jesus as your savior and all that jazz.  You seem to be very much a Christian to me.  What's wrong with Muhammad and the other "prophets" out there?  Do you believe in a god and in Jesus?  Are you pagan?  What exactly do you believe?
quote
cpfs146 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: SBGGlobal.eu |
cpfs146
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 1162
Location: Colorado
#5143
Posted: 3/5/2012 2:34:58 AM
Jesus Rocks! He will be back ...
Posted using a mobile device.
quote
Mikniks send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Mikniks
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1382
Location: New York
#5144
Posted: 3/5/2012 2:38:42 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by cpfs146:

Jesus Rocks! He will be back ...


Sure
quote
SYSTEM send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
SYSTEM
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1519
Location: California
#5145
Posted: 3/5/2012 11:06:35 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by cpfs146:

Jesus Rocks! He will be back ...

get a grip, it's a story...
quote
smoothd20
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
smoothd20
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 4875
Location: Oregon
#5146
Posted: 3/5/2012 11:38:44 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Mikniks:



The problem most believers are having is understanding probability.  It really all depends on how many trials there were.  The more trials, the more likelihood of a specific event occurring.

Example: If the chances of an event are 1 in a million, and there was only going to be a single trial, then I'd say the likelihood of that event occurring are VERY low.  If you tell me there will be 1 million trials, then the event is almost certain to occur.

That is why there is almost a 100% probability of life existing on another planet in the universe.  SJD couldn't seem to grasp the concept, but that didn't surprise me.  Life on this planet is living proof that life can exist in this universe, and with the massive amount of planets in the universe, it is almost a certainty that life exists elsewhere.  It is funny to me that SJD laughs at the idea of life on other planets.  Ignorance must truly be bliss.  I almost sometimes wish I was ignorant as well, but I digress.


I also wanted to ask you something smooth.  You say you're not a man of religion, but a man of god.  You say this, but you proclaim Jesus as your savior and all that jazz.  You seem to be very much a Christian to me.  What's wrong with Muhammad and the other "prophets" out there?  Do you believe in a god and in Jesus?  Are you pagan?  What exactly do you believe?
I absolutely agree with you about life on other planets. I have expressed this many times on this thread. Some Christians feel threatened by this because they limit God. I don't put a limit on my God. Life on a other planets is a certainty. Just a few days ago a close friend of mine who is the last person I would think of when it comes to something like this. He had a close encounter of the 2nd kind with a UFO  while driving from Colorado through Utah. I made this drive myself just a few short weeks so I know the area. He was very shaken up by it and told me it has changed his perception of life. He's also a Christian and would make fun of people when they spoke about this. He was very hesitant to tell me the story but after a couple of sentences I told him I knew what he was talking about because I had seen one before. My experience can't compare to his because his was very intense and he was quite shaken about the experience. We talked for over an hour and I just told him to process it. We don't know all the answers. Why the government lies to us about this stuff. But we do know that this has been going on for thousand of years. References to UFO's are in the bible. Ancient writings and pics depict UFO's as well. So this is very real regardless of whether Christians or atheists believe it. Doesn't matter. Like I told my good friend. "Now you know and no matter what people say or how crazy they say your story is. "You know and that's all that matters" I related my story to him and said that the people that witnessed it with me...We all know the truth about this. We just don't know who, why, and where of the deal.
quote
smoothd20
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
smoothd20
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 4875
Location: Oregon
#5147
Posted: 3/5/2012 12:07:45 PM
I also wanted to ask you something smooth.  You say you're not a man of religion, but a man of god.  You say this, but you proclaim Jesus as your savior and all that jazz.  You seem to be very much a Christian to me.  What's wrong with Muhammad and the other "prophets" out there?  Do you believe in a god and in Jesus?  Are you pagan?  What exactly do you believe?

As I have stated before I am not religious I am spiritual. I believe in the holy trinity. Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. I believe that Jesus Christ is my savior and came to Earth not only to pay the price but also to show us the way back home. His life is a glorious example for us to follow. Perfection isn't a requirement to be a Christian. Regarding Paganism, I really don't have time today to get into the Pagan deal but I will say that many Christian traditions have their roots in Paganism. On this point the Jehovah's Witnesses are correct. But I feel there is still nothing wrong with celebrating them as long as people know what the true meaning of those holidays are. 
In regards to Muhammad and the other prophets. God has used many messengers and prophets to communicate with man on this Earth. I have no problem with Islam. My problem is with the fanatics that have taken over that great religion and turned it into something that it is not. I have issues with extremist of all stripes. I view atheism as extreme. I have issues with fundamentalist Christians that are extreme. Like I have stated before. God is all about Love and Forgiveness. That's it. Jesus preached on many occasions about the dogmatic practices of the Pharisees of the day. Today we see the same dogmatic BS from the religions trying to control man. In this way some atheists have a point because the religions have turned away from God. The atheists missed the point when they conclude that because of these dogmatic religions that somehow there is no God. Two wrongs will never make a right. I go to Church and I pray. I go to Church's that are mostly non denominational and preach sermons that are applicable to everyday modern life. I don't attend hell and brimstone Church's. The God I pray to is a loving God not a jealous God that man has invented to control others out of fear. Why should God be jealous? Of who? Of what? That makes no sense and I categorically reject the notion of God being jealous. I go to Church for fellowship because the bible says that is good. But make no mistake you can find God anywhere and you don't need a mediator to communicate with him. My Uncle is a Minister and once on a trip back East we were touring some of the Church's. This one prominent Minister that he introduced me to said something that has always stuck with me. He said and I quote "The first bus going to hell will be a bus full of preachers" I couldn't agree more. The Clergy has a special place of leadership and for those who abuse that power. Their price for that abuse will be heavy. God loves you Mikniks. Don't take my word for it. Seek him and he will show you the way home but you must turn away from atheism. Atheism leads you nowhere. It doesn't matter what your friends say. Your relationship with God is your relationship not your friends. Because in the end that's all that matters. These are my core spiritual beliefs and if it offends anyone so be it. If the atheist want proof of what I believe. My proof is in my words and the fact that I am living today.That is all that I offer. I move by faith and it has served me well.  Amen God is good.
quote
smoothd20
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
smoothd20
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 4875
Location: Oregon
#5148
Posted: 3/5/2012 3:56:11 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Mikniks:



The problem most believers are having is understanding probability.  It really all depends on how many trials there were.  The more trials, the more likelihood of a specific event occurring.

Example: If the chances of an event are 1 in a million, and there was only going to be a single trial, then I'd say the likelihood of that event occurring are VERY low.  If you tell me there will be 1 million trials, then the event is almost certain to occur.

That is why there is almost a 100% probability of life existing on another planet in the universe.  SJD couldn't seem to grasp the concept, but that didn't surprise me.  Life on this planet is living proof that life can exist in this universe, and with the massive amount of planets in the universe, it is almost a certainty that life exists elsewhere.  It is funny to me that SJD laughs at the idea of life on other planets.  Ignorance must truly be bliss.  I almost sometimes wish I was ignorant as well, but I digress.


I also wanted to ask you something smooth.  You say you're not a man of religion, but a man of god.  You say this, but you proclaim Jesus as your savior and all that jazz.  You seem to be very much a Christian to me.  What's wrong with Muhammad and the other "prophets" out there?  Do you believe in a god and in Jesus?  Are you pagan?  What exactly do you believe?
Something just hit me in the middle of my work day Mikniks. By your own words you say 
"If the chances of an event are 1 in a million, and there was only going to be a single trial, then I'd say the likelihood of that event occurring are VERY low.  If you tell me there will be 1 million trials, then the event is almost certain to occur".
______________________________________________
So according to atheist the fact that there is life in the Universe period is one continuous accident after another. Bear in mind all these accidents being created out of absolutely nothing. Think about that for just one minute. Truly think about that and equate that with your own words. Keeping ego out of it there is only one conclusion you can come to by using your own words.  
quote
Mikniks send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Mikniks
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1382
Location: New York
#5149
Posted: 3/5/2012 4:05:02 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by smoothd20:

Something just hit me in the middle of my work day Mikniks. By your own words you say 
"If the chances of an event are 1 in a million, and there was only going to be a single trial, then I'd say the likelihood of that event occurring are VERY low.  If you tell me there will be 1 million trials, then the event is almost certain to occur".
______________________________________________
So according to atheist the fact that there is life in the Universe period is one continuous accident after another. Bear in mind all these accidents being created out of absolutely nothing. Think about that for just one minute. Truly think about that and equate that with your own words. Keeping ego out of it there is only one conclusion you can come to by using your own words.  

All I meant by what I said is that we don't know how many big bangs there were.  The speed of the expansion of the universe had to be very specific for life to exist, but if there was trillions of big bangs, it makes it likely that one universe would sustain life.  I don't have the answers and probably never will, but I'm ok with that.
quote
Sugarhouse send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Sugarhouse
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1784
Location:
#5150
Posted: 3/5/2012 4:21:49 PM
What are the chances that roses are red, my love, and whatever will be will be?
quote
Forum Index : General Discussion : Messages Page 206 of 215 «  204 205 206 207 208   »
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.