Messages

Forum Index : Boxing : Messages Page 1 of 2  1 2  
Author: [Boxing] Topic: Greatest Fighters in boxing history
BigK22 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
BigK22
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
Location:
#1
Posted: 2/1/2012 6:30:50 PM
If you don't agree, you don't know garbage about boxing....



1. Sugar Ray Robinson: 173-19-6(108) Incomparable. Quite simply the finest fighter in history. Robinson was a man who could do it all - fight while coming forward or backing up. He could both give and take a punch and his speed, accuracy, stamina and courage were amazing. What’s more, he displayed all the aforementioned qualities whilst fighting opposition of the highest merit. Even guys who were never champion in Robinson’s day would more than likely become so today. Hell, even the journeymen were tough! And one last point - Ray, in over two hundred pro bouts, was never legitimately KO’d.
3. MUHAMMAD ALI: 56-5(37) The greatest ever heavyweight. Ali was blessed with supernatural speed and agility. He was also fortunate enough to have had a ton of worthy contenders willing to try their hand at beating him. Because Ali fought, and dominated, in a golden era for the heavyweights (the 1970’s) his true greatness was revealed. Also had in his possession the finest chin in all of boxing. Was as brave as any fighter in history. Enjoyed shocking the world time and again.

4. Ezzard Charles: 93-25-1(52) The best light heavyweight in boxing history. Although never world champion at 175, was clearly the best. Went 3-0 with the legendary Archie Moore, even knocking Moore flat on one occasion. Also twice defeated the slick Charley Burley.
“The Cincinnati Cobra” eventually moved up to heavyweight where he did become world champ. Perhaps best known for giving the great Rocky Marciano his hardest fight- losing a gruelling and close fifteen round decision. In a return match he came desperately close to beating him again, by inflicting a savage cut on Marciano’s nose. His finest weight though was definitely 175.

5. Roberto Duran: 103-16(70) If Armstrong wasn’t the finest ever at 135, then Duran was. Simply born to fight, Roberto was as mean and tough as any man who ever stepped into the ring. Won his first world title by manhandling the experienced Ken Buchanan, when aged only twenty. Had brutal three fight series with Esteban De Jesus, going 2-1, before moving up to 147 and handing Ray Leonard his first loss. His legacy is hurt somewhat due to second fight with Leonard. Still had lots to offer post 1980, however, including the capturing of two more world titles. Capped off his great fighting days with excellent win over the much bigger Iran Barkley. Only ever counted out once, in his fight with Thomas Hearns.

6. Willie Pep: 229-11-1(65) Superb defensive fighter. Legend has it he once won a round without throwing a single punch, such was his defensive wizardry and ability at making the other guy look foolish. Went unbeaten in first sixty three fights! Captured featherweight world title in 1946 against Sal Bartola. At this point in career had only lost the one bout, on points to Sammy Angott, unbeaten in other ninety nine! Remembered for violent four fight series with murderous punching Sandy Saddler. Probably the best featherweight in history.

7. Archie Moore: 185-23-10(131) Scored more KO’s than any other boxer in history. Was made to wait until almost forty before getting crack at light heavyweight title. Won it handily with fifteen round decision over Joey Maxim and kept it for nearly ten years. Only guy he couldn’t master was Ezzard Charles. Like Charles moved up to heavyweight and fought Marciano. Scored knockdown in second round and until dying day maintained that if benevolent referee hadn’t aided “The Rock” he would have scored KO win. Also fought the much younger Floyd Patterson and Cassius Clay. Became fine trainer after retirement from fighting.

8. Benny Leonard: 90-6-1(70) Incredible lightweight. Some say the best ever at the weight. Fought a who’s who of great lightweights including - Johnny Dundee, Ted “Kid” Lewis, Rocky Kansas and Lew Tendler. First won title in 1917, against Freddie welsh. Held it until 1924, when he retired after a win over Pal Moran, thus vacating title. Made comeback seven years later but only a shadow of what he once was. Also to be noted, Leonard twice fought for the welterweight title, his fight with “Kid” Lewis being a no-decision and his fight with Jack Britton being ruled a disqualification win for Britton. Tragically, Leonard, known as “The Ghetto Wizard,” died aged only fifty one, while refereeing a boxing match.

9. Sugar Ray Leonard: 36-3-1(25) A boxer blessed with many fine attributes. Speed, power, athleticism and personality. Captured Olympic gold in 1976 and from then on could seemingly do no wrong. Soon won world welterweight title in fine fight with Wilfred Benitez. Even when losing to Duran in 1980 earned many plaudits for showing heart and fighting Duran’s fight. Made “Hands of Stone” say “No Mas” and quit in rematch later in same year. Then unified welterweight titles with arguably greatest win - a fourteenth round stoppage of Thomas “The Hitman” Hearns. Retired shortly thereafter due to retina problems, only to return five years later( after one disappointing Tune-up) and shock Marvellous Marvin Hagler. However, popularity suffered shortly afterwards as many felt Sugar was beneficiary of unjust verdict. Also tarnished image by carrying on too long and suffering humbling defeats to Terry Norris and Hector Camacho. During prime years, however, was one of the best ever welterweights.

10. Charley Burley: 83-12-2(50) To many the finest fighter to never win a world title. Was avoided like the plague. Rumoured to be the only man Ray Robinson ducked. Literally begged for a shot at a world title. One man who did fight him( in a non-title affair) was Archie Moore. Moore was beaten handily on points, with Archie on the floor three times. Also defeated quality men such as - Fritzie Zivic, Billy Soose and Holman Williams. Burley retired in 1950, never having been stopped. One of the gravest wastes of talent in the history of the ring. Deserved a title shot far more than many men who received one.
quote
BigK22 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
BigK22
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
Location:
#2
Posted: 2/1/2012 6:32:06 PM
Forgot #2




quote
BigK22 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
BigK22
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
Location:
#3
Posted: 2/1/2012 6:32:31 PM
2. Henry Armstrong: 150-21-10(101) Another phenomenal fighter. Armstrong once held world titles at three different weights at the same time! Possibly the finest lightweight ever, Armstrong also captured world honours at featherweight and welterweight. Came within a whisker of winning the middleweight title also. Threw an absolutely astonishing amount of punches in a round. Aside from his pro debut, which amazingly he lost in three rounds, “Homicide Hank” was only KO’d once - by Fritzie Zivic, at a time when Henry was far past his peak.
quote
Jerseyboy89 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
Jerseyboy89
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1653
Location:
#4
Posted: 2/1/2012 6:36:00 PM
Mayewather.  Mayweather is the most complete fighter ever.  Willie Pep could never fight a tough fight like Floyd can.  End of story.
quote
BigK22 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
BigK22
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
Location:
#5
Posted: 2/1/2012 6:38:47 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Jerseyboy89:

Mayewather.  Mayweather is the most complete fighter ever.  Willie Pep could never fight a tough fight like Floyd can.  End of story.


you're kidding, right??? LMFAO...plezzz...

mayweather...
quote
BigK22 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
BigK22
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
Location:
#6
Posted: 2/1/2012 6:41:38 PM
There are dozens of fighters who would have destroyed Fraud Mayweather.....A fighter like Tommy Hearns would have annihilated him along with Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard, Robinson, Carlos Monzon, Salvator Sanchez., The Hawk Aaron Pryor..

.I could go on and on for days, if not weeks or year...

Mayweather is a fraud.
quote
BigK22 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
BigK22
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
Location:
#7
Posted: 2/1/2012 6:51:02 PM
Jose Luis Castillo already beat fraud, regardless of what those corrupt judges scored, And Oscar beat him too..again, darn the judges....he's going DOWN this year....I GUARANTEE THAT....
quote
thesoulpurpose send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: bet365 |
thesoulpurpose
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1109
Location: Quebec
#8
Posted: 2/2/2012 1:01:15 AM
If you don't have SAM LANGFORD in your top 10 then you don't know garbage about boxing,   I once posted a thread of the same title,  but have no desire to get into that right now,   sam was the most feared and avoided fighter ever and must be included as one of the top 10 greatest ever, if you don't that just means that your not paying attention, not saying he is the best, although he just might be, simply saying he needs to be mentioned in the top 10,   oh and what about HARRY GREB, no greb either, he gets my vote as the toughest ever, the man fought everyone from welter to heavy who would get in their with him, he once fought 45 times in 1 year, kind of makes todays guys look kind of soft, when they fight a couple times per year and cry about needing a break,  greb must be top ten as well.  I do like the fact that you have ezzard so high on your list, not sure if any fighter ever has had as many wins over as many top guys a charles does. always fighting the best, and for the most part winning.   13 of his losses came in his last 24 fights, when he was finished.
quote
DeHoyos send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
DeHoyos
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4429
Location: Texas
#9
Posted: 2/2/2012 1:14:22 AM
 Considered one of the greatest fighters in history,six world titles in three weight divisions:record of 107 wins, 6 losses and 2 draws, with 89 knockouts, and a reputation as one of the best boxers of all time.He holds records for most successful consecutive defenses of world titles (27), most title fights (37), most title-fight victories (31), and he is tied with Joe Louis for most title defenses won by knockout (21).Also has the longest undefeated streak in boxing history, 13 years. His record was 89-0-1 going into his first loss. Renowned especially for his devastating left hook and his ability to take a punch due to his extremly strong chin. Made his professional debut at age 17.Grew up in an abandoned railroad car with his five sisters and four brothers. Came from a poor family and became a boxer for money, he stated: "I saw my mom working ironing and washing peoples clothes, and I promised her I would give her a house someday and she would never have that job again."






























































































































Julio César Chávez



quote
thesoulpurpose send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: bet365 |
thesoulpurpose
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1109
Location: Quebec
#10
Posted: 2/2/2012 1:55:37 AM
chavez was great no doubt about it,  but I do not think that he is even the greatest fighter in the history of his country, to me that would go to RICARDO LOPEZ and if SALVADOR SANCHEZ did not die so young, I think he would be rated higher, but he did die young so maybe it's disrespectful to rate sanchez higher than chavez, who did accomplish more, although I do think sancez was a better fighter and also when ruben olivarez was at 118, before he let all the partying greatly effect his career, I think he gives chavez a run for his money in a pound for pound sence as well,   check out olivares's first title win vs lionel rose, you will rarely ever see a fighter as zoned in as olivares was that night,  kind of like when chavez fought rosario.   either way lopez, sanchez, chavez, olivares all truly great fighters no matter how you rank them. 
quote
DeHoyos send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
DeHoyos
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4429
Location: Texas
#11
Posted: 2/2/2012 2:05:46 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by thesoulpurpose:

chavez was great no doubt about it,  but I do not think that he is even the greatest fighter in the history of his country, to me that would go to RICARDO LOPEZ and if SALVADOR SANCHEZ did not die so young, I think he would be rated higher, but he did die young so maybe it's disrespectful to rate sanchez higher than chavez, who did accomplish more, although I do think sancez was a better fighter and also when ruben olivarez was at 118, before he let all the partying greatly effect his career, I think he gives chavez a run for his money in a pound for pound sence as well,   check out olivares's first title win vs lionel rose, you will rarely ever see a fighter as zoned in as olivares was that night,  kind of like when chavez fought rosario.   either way lopez, sanchez, chavez, olivares all truly great fighters no matter how you rank them. 
quote
DeHoyos send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
DeHoyos
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4429
Location: Texas
#12
Posted: 2/2/2012 2:10:52 AM
El Gran Campeón Mexicano (The Great Mexican Champion)
Mr. KO
quote
DeHoyos send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
DeHoyos
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4429
Location: Texas
#13
Posted: 2/2/2012 2:20:29 AM
The guy took out 16 world champions and has more title defenses than Joe Luis and Ali...But you wont even give him the "Greatest Mexican" title....
quote
DeHoyos send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
DeHoyos
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4429
Location: Texas
#14
Posted: 2/2/2012 2:21:11 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by thesoulpurpose:

If you don't have SAM LANGFORD in your top 10 then you don't know garbage about boxing,   I once posted a thread of the same title,  but have no desire to get into that right now,   sam was the most feared and avoided fighter ever and must be included as one of the top 10 greatest ever, if you don't that just means that your not paying attention, not saying he is the best, although he just might be, simply saying he needs to be mentioned in the top 10,   oh and what about HARRY GREB, no greb either, he gets my vote as the toughest ever, the man fought everyone from welter to heavy who would get in their with him, he once fought 45 times in 1 year, kind of makes todays guys look kind of soft, when they fight a couple times per year and cry about needing a break,  greb must be top ten as well.  I do like the fact that you have ezzard so high on your list, not sure if any fighter ever has had as many wins over as many top guys a charles does. always fighting the best, and for the most part winning.   13 of his losses came in his last 24 fights, when he was finished.
quote
DeHoyos send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
DeHoyos
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4429
Location: Texas
#15
Posted: 2/2/2012 2:27:25 AM

Julio César Chávez

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Julio César Chávez
Chávez in 2006
Statistics
Real name Julio César Chávez González
Nickname(s) J.C.
El César del Boxeo (The Caesar of Boxing)[1]
El Gran Campeón Mexicano (The Great Mexican Champion)[2]
Mr. KO
Rated at Light Middleweight
Welterweight
Light welterweight
Lightweight
Super Featherweight
Nationality
Born July 12, 1962 (age 49)
Obregón, Sonora, Mexico
Stance Orthodox
Boxing record
Total fights 116
Wins 107
Wins by KO 89
Losses 6
Draws 2
No contests 0

Julio César Chávez (born Julio César Chávez González on July 12, 1962) is a retired Mexican professional boxer. Chávez is considered the greatest fighter ever to come out of Mexico.[3]

quote
DeHoyos send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
DeHoyos
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4429
Location: Texas
#16
Posted: 2/2/2012 2:29:31 AM
quote
thesoulpurpose send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: bet365 |
thesoulpurpose
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1109
Location: Quebec
#17
Posted: 2/2/2012 3:11:15 AM
much more than half of the guys chavez fought were bums, so throwing out his win totals and all of the title defences he made of the wbc belt, come on, do you remember when  whitaker dominated him in their super showdown,  I could go on, but have no desire too, when did you ever see LOPEZ dominated, never, because he never lost, just face it LOPEZ, Is better, technicaly lopez is superior, plus he hit much harder than chavez in a pound for pound sence, clearly you are a biased chavez supporter, it IS a close call between the 2  though and I think it would be a close split if we took a poll,  SANCHEZ is better too, he just did not have time to accomplish as much, you highlight, that I do not no garbage about boxing, funny as I am a up and coming pro fighter, who also had 88 amateur wins with only 2 losses as well. so as compared to me your the one who does not know garbage,  their are actually people out their that believe that LOPEZ is the greatest fighter ever (I am not one of them, I rate him in my top 10 ever though) same with SANCEZ. roy jones actually rates SANCHEZ as the best of all time (besides himself,) I do not no one person who says that CHAVEZ is the best fighter ever,  chavez is top 25 of all time, and one of the top 3 mexicans ever, you act like that is a bad thing.
quote
DeHoyos send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
DeHoyos
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4429
Location: Texas
#18
Posted: 2/2/2012 3:33:16 AM
World champions whom Chávez defeated include Jose Luis Ramírez, Rafael Limón, Rocky Lockridge, Meldrick Taylor, Roger Mayweather, Lonnie Smith, Sammy Fuentes, Héctor "Macho" Camacho, Juan Laporte, Edwin Rosario, Greg Haugen, Tony López, Giovanni Parisi, Joey Gamache, and Frankie Randall
quote
DeHoyos send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
DeHoyos
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4429
Location: Texas
#19
Posted: 2/2/2012 3:34:37 AM
F**** Roy Jones that dam Rooster!!!!
quote
DeHoyos send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
DeHoyos
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4429
Location: Texas
#20
Posted: 2/2/2012 3:37:02 AM
and I was there at the Dome baby...the Mexicans threw bottles at the ring...they had to call it a draw for security reasons....
quote
edmanz send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
edmanz
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Location:
#21
Posted: 2/2/2012 2:20:52 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by BigK22:



you're kidding, right??? LMFAO...plezzz...

mayweather...
   MAYFEATHER, AT LEAST CHICKEN HAS A FEATHER.
quote
edmanz send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
edmanz
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Location:
#22
Posted: 2/2/2012 2:26:21 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Jerseyboy89:

Mayewather.  Mayweather is the most complete fighter ever.  Willie Pep could never fight a tough fight like Floyd can.  End of story.
THE GREATEST CHICKEN BOXER IN THE HISTORY FOR SURE # 1.
quote
LarryParker send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
LarryParker
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 707
Location: California
#23
Posted: 2/2/2012 2:30:37 PM
I think there is much to be said of a fighter having over 50 successful pro fights, having over 100 is just incredible.  Chavez, among others, should be given all "best fighter in history" considerations for that fact alone
quote
DeHoyos send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
DeHoyos
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4429
Location: Texas
#24
Posted: 2/2/2012 2:41:32 PM
#1 ALL Time in World Championship Title Defenses (Cassius#2 TheBrown Bomber#3).Also that alone should get anyone the greatest ever title for their own country.


quote
BigPapa21 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
BigPapa21
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2625
Location: United States
#25
Posted: 2/2/2012 5:47:09 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by thesoulpurpose:

much more than half of the guys chavez fought were bums, so throwing out his win totals and all of the title defences he made of the wbc belt, come on, do you remember when  whitaker dominated him in their super showdown,  I could go on, but have no desire too, when did you ever see LOPEZ dominated, never, because he never lost, just face it LOPEZ, Is better, technicaly lopez is superior, plus he hit much harder than chavez in a pound for pound sence, clearly you are a biased chavez supporter, it IS a close call between the 2  though and I think it would be a close split if we took a poll,  SANCHEZ is better too, he just did not have time to accomplish as much, you highlight, that I do not no garbage about boxing, funny as I am a up and coming pro fighter, who also had 88 amateur wins with only 2 losses as well. so as compared to me your the one who does not know garbage,  their are actually people out their that believe that LOPEZ is the greatest fighter ever (I am not one of them, I rate him in my top 10 ever though) same with SANCEZ. roy jones actually rates SANCHEZ as the best of all time (besides himself,) I do not no one person who says that CHAVEZ is the best fighter ever,  chavez is top 25 of all time, and one of the top 3 mexicans ever, you act like that is a bad thing.

You didn't tell him about the book you wrote. Or how your superior you are to the rest of us. C'mon big guy your slipping....

quote
Forum Index : Boxing : Messages Page 1 of 2  1 2  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.