Messages

Forum Index : General Discussion : Messages Page 1 of 2  1 2  
Author: [General Discussion] Topic: Gambling and addictive substances
and1jshooter send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
and1jshooter
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 906
Location:
#1
Posted: 8/11/2012 10:49:09 AM
This is a question for all of you big time gamblers.  Do you find when you are on a gambling binge that you crave cigarettes, booze, food that is bad for you, and all the like that has addictive properties to the mind?  Ive noticed when I used to gamble and go on these crazy winning streaks that I would just do other things that were detrimental to myself and its like there really is a cross sensitization factor with gambling and other feel good things.  Gambling really is bad in more than one way (not just financially) but it is bad in that it encourages unhealthy eating and drinking binges.  I want to hear other peoples' experiences and/or thoughts to this topic.  Thanks in advance, and anything said that is constructive is well appreciated.
quote
SALTY send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Mirage |
SALTY
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 4696
Location: North Carolina
#2
Posted: 8/11/2012 2:58:21 PM
You just described everything I love. On my binges I am compelled to have random raw dog sex with person. Plus every two wins I cut the head off a live chicken.
Not only am I a degenerate, I have a few superstions.


Posted using a mobile device.
quote
SALTY send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Mirage |
SALTY
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 4696
Location: North Carolina
#3
Posted: 8/11/2012 3:02:45 PM
Superstitions.
Posted using a mobile device.
quote
GunShard
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Intertops |
GunShard
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1293
Location: United States
#4
Posted: 8/12/2012 6:45:37 PM
Before gambling, I always craved junk food. Doesn't apply.
quote
metalbill
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
metalbill
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 3300
Location: Alberta
#5
Posted: 8/12/2012 7:20:48 PM
drink after the bets are in, not before! 
quote
mightiestmojo send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
mightiestmojo
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 5670
Location: Texas
#6
Posted: 8/12/2012 7:24:49 PM
I actually drink less watching sports now helps stop the 2nd half chase!
quote
LanceLogan send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: bet365 |
LanceLogan
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 5186
Location: British
              Columbia
#7
Posted: 8/12/2012 7:31:53 PM
I gain about 10 lbs every football season thx mostly to nachos, steak sandwiches and bud light, I just about burned off last seasons weight gain just in time for the 2012 season.
quote
mainmanmainman2 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
mainmanmainman2
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 4309
Location: Antarctica
#8
Posted: 8/13/2012 12:51:15 AM
ha.

ever been a viet coffee shop?

nude/topless or bottomless, endless bookies, coffee tats strong, cigarettes... endless sports on tv.


some people have sex and right after they go str8 for the smartphone and check their balance on their mobile app of their online betting account 








anyways, i always wondered why theyre fat girls hanging around w. hot girls. 
quote
amd send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
amd
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 29424
Location: California
#9
Posted: 8/13/2012 1:34:55 AM

We have a direct correlation between gambling and neurochemical changes in our central nervous system. In relation to the "fight or flight" phenomenon, gamblers secrete much more Dopamine than a non gamblers thus producing electrophysiological and cognitive disturbances. Along with Dopamine receptors, we also increase our cortisol levels which is a "stress" hormone. When cortisol levels rise, our blood glucose is consumed so our brain tells us we need more sugar to compensate for our losses which is why we tend to crave simple carbs/sugars. I could write a thesis on this garbage but you get the picture.

quote
LanceLogan send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: bet365 |
LanceLogan
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 5186
Location: British
              Columbia
#10
Posted: 8/13/2012 1:43:10 AM

I take B100 complex vitamens to keep that cortisol garbage under control. My man amd is an educated guy.

quote
amd send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
amd
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 29424
Location: California
#11
Posted: 8/13/2012 1:56:26 AM

Lance...I don't claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed but this topic is at least something I'm familiar with.

B vitamins

 

quote
dl36 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetJamaica.com |
dl36
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 23542
Location: United States
#12
Posted: 8/13/2012 2:46:12 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by amd:

We have a direct correlation between gambling and neurochemical changes in our central nervous system. In relation to the "fight or flight" phenomenon, gamblers secrete much more Dopamine than a non gamblers thus producing electrophysiological and cognitive disturbances. Along with Dopamine receptors, we also increase our cortisol levels which is a "stress" hormone. When cortisol levels rise, our blood glucose is consumed so our brain tells us we need more sugar to compensate for our losses which is why we tend to crave simple carbs/sugars. I could write a thesis on this garbage but you get the picture.



you are not addicted to gambling... you are addicted to what happens in the chemistry set that is your brain and body when you add gambling and/or other substances to the mix

quote
dl36 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetJamaica.com |
dl36
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 23542
Location: United States
#13
Posted: 8/13/2012 2:50:59 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by and1jshooter:

This is a question for all of you big time gamblers.  Do you find when you are on a gambling binge that you crave cigarettes, booze, food that is bad for you, and all the like that has addictive properties to the mind?  Ive noticed when I used to gamble and go on these crazy winning streaks that I would just do other things that were detrimental to myself and its like there really is a cross sensitization factor with gambling and other feel good things.  Gambling really is bad in more than one way (not just financially) but it is bad in that it encourages unhealthy eating and drinking binges.  I want to hear other peoples' experiences and/or thoughts to this topic.  Thanks in advance, and anything said that is constructive is well appreciated.


I dont like to drink and gamble... messes with my body chemistry... I do like things like adderal when i hit the casinos...

as for sports betting I like to be sober before betting... and lighting one up when I win...  prefer drinking when I lose... but I guess I spark up regardless of winning or losing... or gambling for that matter...

This is also a chicken and egg discussion... not everyone is hard wired to gamble or get into behavioral addictions... so it could be said that people with addictive personalities might also drink/eat in a similar manner...

quote
wizardofroz
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetJamaica.com |
wizardofroz
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 5612
Location: Kentucky
#14
Posted: 8/13/2012 10:14:48 AM

"We have a direct correlation between gambling and neurochemical changes in our central nervous system. In relation to the "fight or flight" phenomenon, gamblers secrete much more Dopamine than a non gamblers thus producing electrophysiological and cognitive disturbances. Along with Dopamine receptors, we also increase our cortisol levels which is a "stress" hormone. When cortisol levels rise, our blood glucose is consumed so our brain tells us we need more sugar to compensate for our losses which is why we tend to crave simple carbs/sugars. I could write a thesis on this garbage but you get the picture. "

 No wonder I drink so much soda while stressing out during a ball game or poker tournament.

quote
Colts03 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Colts03
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 13064
Location: Texas
#15
Posted: 8/13/2012 10:27:39 AM
what is the problem here? 
quote
BMA send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
BMA
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 13782
Location:
#16
Posted: 8/13/2012 10:27:43 AM
NHS Gambling Addiction Video
quote
BMA send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
BMA
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 13782
Location:
#17
Posted: 8/13/2012 11:00:04 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by dl36:



I dont like to drink and gamble... messes with my body chemistry... I do like things like adderal when i hit the casinos...

as for sports betting I like to be sober before betting... and lighting one up when I win...  prefer drinking when I lose... but I guess I spark up regardless of winning or losing... or gambling for that matter...

This is also a chicken and egg discussion... not everyone is hard wired to gamble or get into behavioral addictions... so it could be said that people with addictive personalities might also drink/eat in a similar manner...



Amphetamines .
quote
beamjim send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Pinnacle Sports |
beamjim
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1088
Location: Manitoba
#18
Posted: 8/13/2012 2:06:22 PM
AMD, great article. So with gambling having these types of effects, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do to counter it and keep a healthy balance?
I always have difficulties sleeping, I dream a lot so never feel rested in the morning, I am wondering if the cortisone level you discussed above could be affecting this. Thanks in advance.
quote
amd send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
amd
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 29424
Location: California
#19
Posted: 8/13/2012 4:33:08 PM

beamjim...Hey buddy, it's been awhile

My previous post was somewhat generic though I wanted the  forum to realize their is a direct correlation between gambling and healh, CNS & adrenal function, in particular. To answer your question as to what we need to do to maintain homeostasis, it's relative to the individual. However, in general, the best thing to do is exercise with periods of aerobic activity as aerobics decreases cortisol levels. Vitamin C....1000 mg/day reduces cortisol. Stay away from caffeine as it increases cortisol levels. Insomia increases cortisol levels so if you have trouble sleeping you may want to try melatonin capsules. Just remember, without exercise, gambling may potentiate weight gain, depression, insomnia, heart disease, digestive problems, etc. which is all associated with adrenal function and CNS. 

As for your sleeping disturbance, has anyone suggested to you that you might have sleep apnea? Have you ever been tested? In any case, stress could be a leading factor to your sleep disturbance. Changing a few habits could help you significantly. A simple checkup can answer a lot of questions you may have....sleep study to rule out apnea, get your thyroid checked, get your blood drawn to rule out a variety of abnormalities including high cortisol levels.

The two things that really help me is to win more bets than I lose and darn a lot. I'll take her in the room and darn at halftime if I need to.....it really does the trick  

quote
Michfan15 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Michfan15
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 9340
Location: New York
#20
Posted: 8/13/2012 4:58:14 PM
amd do you recommend taking b vitamins daily, do u feel any different from adding this to your diet?   interesting stuff you posted about cortisol levels and the dopamine receptors in gamblers v non gamblers 
quote
phat03
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
phat03
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 31885
Location: Madagascar
#21
Posted: 8/13/2012 9:18:28 PM
It's funny... On most nights my plays are in by 5:30 and I don't even check a score until around 11 or so, Sometimes not till morning. Unless it's a Big Play
quote
slikstiks99 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
slikstiks99
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5736
Location: Zambia
#22
Posted: 8/13/2012 10:01:21 PM
A strong showing for worst thread in Covers history.
quote
fsutomahawk send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
fsutomahawk
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3098
Location: Congo
#23
Posted: 8/13/2012 11:45:30 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by phat03:

It's funny... On most nights my plays are in by 5:30 and I don't even check a score until around 11 or so, Sometimes not till morning. Unless it's a Big Play


This is what I have somewhat evolved into doing most of the time. When I first started gambling I wanted to watch every last bit of every game I bet on. Now, I watch if it's going well, and if it starts out shitty I just turn it to something else. I used to lose sleep if I didn't know a final score before bed, now I just wake up check the results and get on with my day.
quote
dl36 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetJamaica.com |
dl36
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 23542
Location: United States
#24
Posted: 8/14/2012 2:17:43 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by BMA:



Amphetamines .


not my substance of choice, but seems to give me the dopamine I enjoy along with the gambling...

what is your substance of choice to go with gambling?


quote
BMA send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
BMA
Participation Meter
Banned
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 13782
Location:
#25
Posted: 8/14/2012 2:49:50 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by amd:

beamjim...Hey buddy, it's been awhile

My previous post was somewhat generic though I wanted the  forum to realize their is a direct correlation between gambling and healh, CNS & adrenal function, in particular. To answer your question as to what we need to do to maintain homeostasis, it's relative to the individual. However, in general, the best thing to do is exercise with periods of aerobic activity as aerobics decreases cortisol levels. Vitamin C....1000 mg/day reduces cortisol. Stay away from caffeine as it increases cortisol levels. Insomia increases cortisol levels so if you have trouble sleeping you may want to try melatonin capsules. Just remember, without exercise, gambling may potentiate weight gain, depression, insomnia, heart disease, digestive problems, etc. which is all associated with adrenal function and CNS. 

As for your sleeping disturbance, has anyone suggested to you that you might have sleep apnea? Have you ever been tested? In any case, stress could be a leading factor to your sleep disturbance. Changing a few habits could help you significantly. A simple checkup can answer a lot of questions you may have....sleep study to rule out apnea, get your thyroid checked, get your blood drawn to rule out a variety of abnormalities including high cortisol levels.

The two things that really help me is to win more bets than I lose and darn a lot. I'll take her in the room and darn at halftime if I need to.....it really does the trick  



thanks amd

could you please reference any of the following

High quality meta-analyses, systematic reviews of RCTs, or RCTs with a very low risk of bias

 Well conducted meta-analyses, systematic reviews, or RCTs with a low risk of bias

 Meta-analyses, systematic reviews, or RCTs with a high risk of bias

 High quality systematic reviews of case control or cohort studies

High quality case control or cohort studies with a very low risk of confounding or bias and a high probability that the
relationship is causal

 Well conducted case control or cohort studies with a low risk of confounding or bias and a moderate probability that the
relationship is causal

 Case control or cohort studies with a high risk of confounding or bias and a significant risk that the relationship is not
causal

 Non-analytic studies, eg case reports, case series

 Expert opinion

on your advice to treat Cortisol levels in addiction, gambling. Cortisol levels that are not Cushings or Addisons levels.

Or any clinical Guidelines on anxiety/stress that recommend such treatments of non pathological Cortisol levels.


Any thoughts on the normal circadian variation in Cortisol levels from highs at 6-8am in the morning (5-25ug/dl) to Midnight (<1.8ug/dl) ref Merck Manual.

quote
Forum Index : General Discussion : Messages Page 1 of 2  1 2  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.