These commercials showing ill people telling kids not to smoke make me want to puke

Forum: General Discussion Page 1 of 2  1 2  
Author: [General Discussion] Topic: These commercials showing ill people telling kids not to smoke make me want to puke
wizardofroz PM wizardofroz
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 6146
 
wizardofroz
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 5/11/2012 3:49:09 AM

Unless one is brain dead, it is obvious what the harmful effects of smoking are.  It is written on the DAMN PACK of cigarettes for any literate to read. 

If someone smoke cigarettes and risk the health problems down the road, that is NO ONE'S business but their own.  But if they do get sick because of this filthy habit, they deserve no assistance from the governement or the health care industry. 

You are on your own with your hospital bills and insurance, and if it bankrupts you or kills you, so be it.

Obese people should also be able to destroy their bodies as they choose.  But once they get sick and the bills pile up, tough luck!

There are consequences to everyone's actions and personal habits, but why discourage someone from doing what they want to do?  And taxing people for things considered unhealthy also makes me want to puke.  Sin taxes are thievery, but that is another subject matter. 

Iw1nBets PM Iw1nBets
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 58483
 
Iw1nBets
Participation Meter
Legend
Posted: 5/11/2012 4:25:25 AM
I hate cigarettes .... killin everyone around me 
pulledclear PM pulledclear
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 3202
 
pulledclear
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 5/11/2012 4:36:06 AM
I thought I was the only one! darn those commercials are disturbing!
AustinHoopDream PM AustinHoopDream
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 8408
 
AustinHoopDream
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 5/11/2012 7:23:16 AM
they make me want to smoke...or dip!
Johnzimbo34 PM Johnzimbo34
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1182
 
Johnzimbo34
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 5/11/2012 8:13:31 AM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by AustinHoopDream:

they make me want to smoke...or dip!

Are you Mel Gibson?

standuley PM standuley
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2955
 
standuley
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 5/11/2012 8:15:29 AM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by pulledclear:

I thought I was the only one! darn those commercials are disturbing!

 

 

Yeah I gotta change the channel when it comes on...That garbage bothers me...

Randisist PM Randisist
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3156
 
Randisist
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 5/11/2012 8:33:13 AM
The television is perfect for behavior and mind modification.

It is harder to program adults as to what is "correct" and how they should act.
"Cartoons" and commercials are great for making sure young minds are properly shaped and think the correct thoughts...
thirdperson PM thirdperson
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1637
 
thirdperson
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 5/11/2012 9:06:00 AM
Negative ads work in discouraging negative behaviour for some people.  Smoking increases the risk of cancer and other problems.  More sick people increase healthcare or insurance costs for society.  Sin taxes work to raise government revenue and reduce tobacco consumption.  Good enough reasons.
AustinHoopDream PM AustinHoopDream
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 8408
 
AustinHoopDream
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 5/11/2012 9:10:18 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Johnzimbo34:

Are you Mel Gibson?



Why yes, yes I am. Thank you for asking...(puff puff)
Randisist PM Randisist
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3156
 
Randisist
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 5/11/2012 9:39:07 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by thirdperson:

Negative ads work in discouraging negative behaviour for some people.  Smoking increases the risk of cancer and other problems.  More sick people increase healthcare or insurance costs for society.  Sin taxes work to raise government revenue and reduce tobacco consumption.  Good enough reasons.


Totally agree...

Negative ads to discourage negative behavior are a good thing.
rufus1966 PM rufus1966
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1492
 
rufus1966
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 5/11/2012 5:36:21 PM
Eat salad and smoke weed.All natural...........
I_Need_A_Detox PM I_Need_A_Detox
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 17247
 
I_Need_A_Detox
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 5/11/2012 5:55:25 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by wizardofroz:

Unless one is brain dead, it is obvious what the harmful effects of smoking are.  It is written on the DAMN PACK of cigarettes for any literate to read. 

If someone smoke cigarettes and risk the health problems down the road, that is NO ONE'S business but their own.  But if they do get sick because of this filthy habit, they deserve no assistance from the governement or the health care industry

You are on your own with your hospital bills and insurance, and if it bankrupts you or kills you, so be it.

Obese people should also be able to destroy their bodies as they choose.  But once they get sick and the bills pile up, tough luck!

There are consequences to everyone's actions and personal habits, but why discourage someone from doing what they want to do?  And taxing people for things considered unhealthy also makes me want to puke.  Sin taxes are thievery, but that is another subject matter. 


what about a runner that develops bad knees because he ran too much? he should have stopped running at the first sign of a problem. 

what about a guy that was hungover at work, slipped and broke his back? he should have known not to be hungover at work. 

what about a person that wasn't wearing their seat belt in a car accident? 

what if you're supposed to wear steal toe boots, you don't and something falls on your toes and shatters them?

what if a little league coach tells a kid not to go near the guy on deck when he's getting ready ... kid goes near him and gets his face shattered? 

what about alky's and addicts? 

or does your rule just apply to cigarette smokers and obese people? 


I_Need_A_Detox PM I_Need_A_Detox
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 17247
 
I_Need_A_Detox
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 5/11/2012 5:56:44 PM
lol ... steal toe
I_Need_A_Detox PM I_Need_A_Detox
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 17247
 
I_Need_A_Detox
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 5/11/2012 5:58:35 PM
I agree with your basic point though .... 

Nobody sees one of these commercials and says "garbage, i didn't know these things were bad for my health!!" 
scalabrine PM scalabrine
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 21970
 
scalabrine
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Posted: 5/13/2012 4:20:04 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by I_Need_A_Detox:


what about a runner that develops bad knees because he ran too much? he should have stopped running at the first sign of a problem. 

what about a guy that was hungover at work, slipped and broke his back? he should have known not to be hungover at work. 

what about a person that wasn't wearing their seat belt in a car accident? 

what if you're supposed to wear steal toe boots, you don't and something falls on your toes and shatters them?

what if a little league coach tells a kid not to go near the guy on deck when he's getting ready ... kid goes near him and gets his face shattered? 

what about alky's and addicts? 

or does your rule just apply to cigarette smokers and obese people? 



An endless set of legitimate questions that a mindless poster simply can't answer.

Somehow, in the OP's mind, all cigarette smokers who get cancer or any of the other myriad of diseases from cigarettes, "deserve no assistance" from the government. As though there is a currently a federal program set up directly for smokers who get sick. 

It's the 'blame game' and 'you're on your own' with minds that are so devoid of any kind empathy, it's a lost cause. 

He goes on to say they deserve no 'assistance' from the health care industry. Well guess what, if you try to purchase your own coverage, the fact that you smoke will effect your premium payment; that is, you will charged now for any future ailment or disease you may get from smoking. It is built in the premium when disclosed. 

But in the OP's mind, you deserve no 'assistance' from health care insurers even though they are more than willing to cover you for the premium they require if you are a smoker. I guess in his mind, they should retain all your premiums once you get cancer and revoke your coverage.

And on and on and on with posters like this...All because he doesn't want to see 'ill' people on his television set. Let's not irritate him further or we may hear from him again.

Should you even argue with posters like this or try to refute their idiotic stances??? Don't waste your time.
Randisist PM Randisist
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3156
 
Randisist
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 5/13/2012 4:41:27 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by scalabrine:


An endless set of legitimate questions that a mindless poster simply can't answer.

Somehow, in the OP's mind, all cigarette smokers who get cancer or any of the other myriad of diseases from cigarettes, "deserve no assistance" from the government. As though there is a currently a federal program set up directly for smokers who get sick. 

It's the 'blame game' and 'you're on your own' with minds that are so devoid of any kind empathy, it's a lost cause. 

He goes on to say they deserve no 'assistance' from the health care industry. Well guess what, if you try to purchase your own coverage, the fact that you smoke will effect your premium payment; that is, you will charged now for any future ailment or disease you may get from smoking. It is built in the premium when disclosed. 

But in the OP's mind, you deserve no 'assistance' from health care insurers even though they are more than willing to cover you for the premium they require if you are a smoker. I guess in his mind, they should retain all your premiums once you get cancer and revoke your coverage.

And on and on and on with posters like this...All because he doesn't want to see 'ill' people on his television set. Let's not irritate him further or we may hear from him again.

Should you even argue with posters like this or try to refute their idiotic stances??? Don't waste your time.


Scab!!!


Where have you been??? You actually have been missed. You are going to go through the threads aren't you? I do believe there is one where they were paging you. I forget exactly which one it is, but I do have faith in you and know you can ferret out the evil that me post.
Randisist PM Randisist
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3156
 
Randisist
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 5/13/2012 4:43:17 PM
Meant "men post", NOT "me post"...

Sorry..
searchwarrant PM searchwarrant
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 66396
 
searchwarrant
Participation Meter
Legend
Posted: 5/13/2012 8:26:57 PM

FYI, 2nd hand smoke has exactly zero data  on study proving cancer or other related illnesses in the United States.

AMA

 

drunkskunk PM drunkskunk
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 154
 
drunkskunk
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 5/13/2012 8:36:16 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by scalabrine:


An endless set of legitimate questions that a mindless poster simply can't answer.

Somehow, in the OP's mind, all cigarette smokers who get cancer or any of the other myriad of diseases from cigarettes, "deserve no assistance" from the government. As though there is a currently a federal program set up directly for smokers who get sick. 

It's the 'blame game' and 'you're on your own' with minds that are so devoid of any kind empathy, it's a lost cause. 

He goes on to say they deserve no 'assistance' from the health care industry. Well guess what, if you try to purchase your own coverage, the fact that you smoke will effect your premium payment; that is, you will charged now for any future ailment or disease you may get from smoking. It is built in the premium when disclosed. 

But in the OP's mind, you deserve no 'assistance' from health care insurers even though they are more than willing to cover you for the premium they require if you are a smoker. I guess in his mind, they should retain all your premiums once you get cancer and revoke your coverage.

And on and on and on with posters like this...All because he doesn't want to see 'ill' people on his television set. Let's not irritate him further or we may hear from him again.

Should you even argue with posters like this or try to refute their idiotic stances??? Don't waste your time.
well said


pulledclear PM pulledclear
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 3202
 
pulledclear
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 5/13/2012 9:42:48 PM
The Scab has surfaced! I havent pissed in his mouth in a long time! Open wide scal you clueless ostrich. Scal this time catch the frisbee before it hits you in the face!
CleeK111 PM CleeK111
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 811
 
CleeK111
Participation Meter
Rookie
Posted: 5/13/2012 10:59:22 PM
Its supposed to be for kids to see and be grossed out. The old and middle aged group that smokes already know of the side affects and terrible outcomes.

The commercial itself is terrible
ironlionzion722 PM ironlionzion722
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2467
 
ironlionzion722
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 5/13/2012 11:37:08 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by I_Need_A_Detox:


what about a runner that develops bad knees because he ran too much? he should have stopped running at the first sign of a problem. 

what about a guy that was hungover at work, slipped and broke his back? he should have known not to be hungover at work. 

what about a person that wasn't wearing their seat belt in a car accident? 

what if you're supposed to wear steal toe boots, you don't and something falls on your toes and shatters them?

what if a little league coach tells a kid not to go near the guy on deck when he's getting ready ... kid goes near him and gets his face shattered? 

what about alky's and addicts? 

or does your rule just apply to cigarette smokers and obese people? 


my sentiment exactly, his premise is a bit extreme

wizardofroz PM wizardofroz
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 6146
 
wizardofroz
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 5/14/2012 1:21:53 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by I_Need_A_Detox:


what about a runner that develops bad knees because he ran too much? he should have stopped running at the first sign of a problem.   

what about a guy that was hungover at work, slipped and broke his back? he should have known not to be hungover at work. 

what about a person that wasn't wearing their seat belt in a car accident? 

what if you're supposed to wear steal toe boots, you don't and something falls on your toes and shatters them?

what if a little league coach tells a kid not to go near the guy on deck when he's getting ready ... kid goes near him and gets his face shattered? 

what about alky's and addicts? 

or does your rule just apply to cigarette smokers and obese people? 


 Poor comparisons.  The warning is directly stated on the pack, so why do I need some dying adult telling me that cigarettes are bad for me?  And in the day and age of information, you are telling me that the kids do not know any better?  You would only have a logical argument if they were deaf, dumb, and blind (and whether or not he plays a mean pinball is inconsequential).    

scalabrine PM scalabrine
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 21970
 
scalabrine
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Posted: 5/14/2012 8:27:17 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

FYI, 2nd hand smoke has exactly zero data  on study proving cancer or other related illnesses in the United States.

AMA

 


Is this a joke? If it is, who's laughing?

If it's not, and your actually trying to sell the above post as truth, it is so unbelievably devoid of truth, someone should take you up on your avatar name; search your brain for morsels of intelligence and then issue a intellectual warrant from your arrest for your ridiculous comment.

The American Medical Association (AMA  that you typed in your post?) has been on the record for almost TWENTY YEARS that second hand smoke causes various smoke related illnesses and death:

In 1992, the Journal of the American Medical Association published a review of the evidence available from epidemiological and other studies regarding the relationship between second hand smoke and heart disease and estimated that passive smoking was responsible for 35,000 to 40,000 deaths per year in the United States in the early 1980s1.

It's gotten much worse since then...

scalabrine PM scalabrine
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 21970
 
scalabrine
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Posted: 5/14/2012 8:27:47 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Randisist:



Scab!!!


Where have you been??? You actually have been missed. You are going to go through the threads aren't you? I do believe there is one where they were paging you. I forget exactly which one it is, but I do have faith in you and know you can ferret out the evil that me post.

I am always 
Forum: General Discussion Page 1 of 2  1 2  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.