What is the best way to lower cholesterol naturally?

Forum: Food & Fitness
Author: [Food & Fitness] Topic: What is the best way to lower cholesterol naturally?
KeyMaster PM KeyMaster
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1265
Wisconsin
 
KeyMaster
Participation Meter
Posted: 12/25/2010 11:38:49 AM
I was taking "Crestor" and it made feel sluggish and achy which are side effects.  I am trying fish oil and wonder if anyone has had success using anything else?


Daddy_Large PM Daddy_Large
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 469
United States
 
Daddy_Large
Participation Meter
Posted: 12/25/2010 6:28:26 PM

My doctor tried to put me on that crap a few years ago and I refused.  I was in my early 30s, fairly fit and thought it was ridiculous that I needed a cholesterol drug.  I talked to a lot of doctors and other folks and learned that most of us are swimming upstream when it comes to fighting high cholesterol.  As you probably know, 80% of cholesterol is hereditary.

I was able to lower mine by about 20% by stepping up the exercise, cutting out most refined sugar, and eating more veggies. I made sure I added 3-4 days of cardio workouts to my routine.

  Cutting sugar out was hard because i like to drink wine and I wasn't going to give that up, so I pretty much decided to cut out everything else.  I rarely eat sweets now.  My doc gave me a chart that described a "Mediterranean diet" and I try to follow that.   Basically very little red meat and worthless carbs - lots of fish and veggies. This has been very helpful.  I eat read meat about twice a month if that and I used to eat it three times a week or so.   Don't get me wrong, I still don't eat as good as I should but if you are not managing your diet well now, you can improve your cholesterol tremendously. 

It's one of those things that sucks but it's either eat right or take the pills. 

KeyMaster PM KeyMaster
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1265
Wisconsin
 
KeyMaster
Participation Meter
Posted: 12/26/2010 5:52:32 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Daddy_Large:

My doctor tried to put me on that crap a few years ago and I refused.  I was in my early 30s, fairly fit and thought it was ridiculous that I needed a cholesterol drug.  I talked to a lot of doctors and other folks and learned that most of us are swimming upstream when it comes to fighting high cholesterol.  As you probably know, 80% of cholesterol is hereditary.

I was able to lower mine by about 20% by stepping up the exercise, cutting out most refined sugar, and eating more veggies. I made sure I added 3-4 days of cardio workouts to my routine.

  Cutting sugar out was hard because i like to drink wine and I wasn't going to give that up, so I pretty much decided to cut out everything else.  I rarely eat sweets now.  My doc gave me a chart that described a "Mediterranean diet" and I try to follow that.   Basically very little red meat and worthless carbs - lots of fish and veggies. This has been very helpful.  I eat read meat about twice a month if that and I used to eat it three times a week or so.   Don't get me wrong, I still don't eat as good as I should but if you are not managing your diet well now, you can improve your cholesterol tremendously. 

It's one of those things that sucks but it's either eat right or take the pills. 



Yes, hereditary it is in my family.  I love wine as well so I did cut out basically all sugars and really watching what I eat now.......fish will hopefully help,    I hear red yeast helps, gotta do more research.....I am doing 3 to 4 days a week now on the eliptical....
Daddy_Large PM Daddy_Large
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 469
United States
 
Daddy_Large
Participation Meter
Posted: 12/27/2010 9:48:18 PM
Good luck man.  Guys like you and I are basically screwed.  Sounds like you are doing everything you can and then some.  You still have to enjoy life so maybe try to switch to the other drug if you have to. . . .   Best of luck with it.  Keep me posted if you find something that works. 
The Hawk PM The Hawk
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 17646
Arizona
 
The Hawk
Participation Meter
Posted: 12/30/2010 5:12:33 PM
Oatmeal............
KeyMaster PM KeyMaster
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1265
Wisconsin
 
KeyMaster
Participation Meter
Posted: 4/29/2011 7:48:55 AM
I am using a super food blend called "Natraburst",  It seems to be working, I did a home cholesterol test and my numbers improved.  

Best of all, I get a commission check for using the product and introducing it to others, so can you.....
.

*edited*
allbees PM allbees
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 16501
Djibouti
 
allbees
Participation Meter
Posted: 4/29/2011 5:12:00 PM
no personally business in the main forums, web promos only.  Thank you.
KeyMaster PM KeyMaster
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1265
Wisconsin
 
KeyMaster
Participation Meter
Posted: 4/30/2011 8:38:55 AM
Sorry Albees!  
KeyMaster PM KeyMaster
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1265
Wisconsin
 
KeyMaster
Participation Meter
Posted: 5/2/2011 1:16:59 PM
Seriously, though, the NatraBurst really makes a difference.  My home test kit read that my bad cholesterol numbers decreased significantly and I feel much more energy.  I have dropped 6 lbs since I started using it 2.5 months ago.  I am sleeping better also.  

I am scheduling an appointment in June to get an actual reading and lab work to see where I am at but the proof is in the pudding or in this case, the Natraburst!  
sharpaction PM sharpaction
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 12928
Ontario
 
sharpaction
Participation Meter
Posted: 5/3/2011 1:48:21 AM
Why are you trying to lower your cholesterol ?

The total cholesterol number is meaningless. Remember that most of the cholesterol is produced by the liver in our bodies.  Referring to LDL cholesterol as “bad cholesterol” is a mistake because there is a difference between LDL and LDL Cholesterol.  LDL (low density lipoprotein)  refers to the lipoprotein itself and the term LDL cholesterol refers to the compiled number of a lipid profile, or “total cholesterol.” A low number is not always a good thing. For example,  two people may have the same LDL number yet one of them will be healthy and the other will be at risk for a heart attack. The only way to know is to have either a VAP or an NMR test which would show the particle size and provide evidence as to what the particles actually look like. If the particles are of the large and fluffy variety then the person would not have to worry. If the particles are small and dense (VLDL- very low density lipoprotein)  then there is a cause for concern.  If a person's HDL is higher than 40 and the triglycerides are less than 150, the particles on the LDL are likely of the large and fluffy variety indicating a healthy profile even if the total number is high. 

If you look at the statistics,  people with low cholesterol actually have more heart attacks than people with high cholesterol. Cholesterol is not bad and has many beneficial effects in our body otherwise our body would not produce it.  When you get your cholesterol checked, ask the doctor to  do an NMR or VAP test so you can get a look at your particles.  This is the only way to know whether your LDL number is  bad or good.  Do not start taking statins based solely on the LDL or "total"  number.  If you want to increase your HDL then increase your intake of saturated fat, this will also lower your triglycerides.
KeyMaster PM KeyMaster
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1265
Wisconsin
 
KeyMaster
Participation Meter
Posted: 5/3/2011 1:50:18 PM
My Doctor has instructed me that he wants me to lower my Bad cholesterol number which is what is read on my home test and lab test he provides.  Maybe it is lowering my tryglicerides, whatever the case, I achieved the desired result per my Dr so that pleases me, plus I feel great!    No side effects from Crestor anymore!

KeyMaster PM KeyMaster
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1265
Wisconsin
 
KeyMaster
Participation Meter
Posted: 5/8/2011 1:54:03 PM
To Control my Cholesterol, what is working for me (50 yrs old) is

1)  Fish Oil every day: Carlsons Liquid (Lemon flavor)

2)  A glass of NatraBurst every morning.

3)  Moderate excercise at least 4 days a week, consists of treadmill, light weights, pushups.

4) Watch my diet, more fish, nuts, veggies, fruits.

Wal-la!   My cholesterol is under control and in the safe zone.  I tossed out my Crestor!

Everybody is different, but it is worth a shot.




michaelpaul1 PM michaelpaul1
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 22613
New York
 
michaelpaul1
Participation Meter
Posted: 5/24/2011 11:52:28 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by sharpaction:

Why are you trying to lower your cholesterol ?

The total cholesterol number is meaningless. Remember that most of the cholesterol is produced by the liver in our bodies.  Referring to LDL cholesterol as “bad cholesterol” is a mistake because there is a difference between LDL and LDL Cholesterol.  LDL (low density lipoprotein)  refers to the lipoprotein itself and the term LDL cholesterol refers to the compiled number of a lipid profile, or “total cholesterol.” A low number is not always a good thing. For example,  two people may have the same LDL number yet one of them will be healthy and the other will be at risk for a heart attack. The only way to know is to have either a VAP or an NMR test which would show the particle size and provide evidence as to what the particles actually look like. If the particles are of the large and fluffy variety then the person would not have to worry. If the particles are small and dense (VLDL- very low density lipoprotein)  then there is a cause for concern.  If a person's HDL is higher than 40 and the triglycerides are less than 150, the particles on the LDL are likely of the large and fluffy variety indicating a healthy profile even if the total number is high. 

If you look at the statistics,  people with low cholesterol actually have more heart attacks than people with high cholesterol. Cholesterol is not bad and has many beneficial effects in our body otherwise our body would not produce it.  When you get your cholesterol checked, ask the doctor to  do an NMR or VAP test so you can get a look at your particles.  This is the only way to know whether your LDL number is  bad or good.  Do not start taking statins based solely on the LDL or "total"  number.  If you want to increase your HDL then increase your intake of saturated fat, this will also lower your triglycerides.
dont agree at all...
michaelpaul1 PM michaelpaul1
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 22613
New York
 
michaelpaul1
Participation Meter
Posted: 5/24/2011 11:52:52 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by KeyMaster:

To Control my Cholesterol, what is working for me (50 yrs old) is

1)  Fish Oil every day: Carlsons Liquid (Lemon flavor)

2)  A glass of NatraBurst every morning.

3)  Moderate excercise at least 4 days a week, consists of treadmill, light weights, pushups.

4) Watch my diet, more fish, nuts, veggies, fruits.

Wal-la!   My cholesterol is under control and in the safe zone.  I tossed out my Crestor!

Everybody is different, but it is worth a shot.




topcat69 PM topcat69
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1272
United States
 
topcat69
Participation Meter
Posted: 5/25/2011 8:26:32 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by sharpaction:

Why are you trying to lower your cholesterol ?

The total cholesterol number is meaningless. Remember that most of the cholesterol is produced by the liver in our bodies.  Referring to LDL cholesterol as “bad cholesterol” is a mistake because there is a difference between LDL and LDL Cholesterol.  LDL (low density lipoprotein)  refers to the lipoprotein itself and the term LDL cholesterol refers to the compiled number of a lipid profile, or “total cholesterol.” A low number is not always a good thing. For example,  two people may have the same LDL number yet one of them will be healthy and the other will be at risk for a heart attack. The only way to know is to have either a VAP or an NMR test which would show the particle size and provide evidence as to what the particles actually look like. If the particles are of the large and fluffy variety then the person would not have to worry. If the particles are small and dense (VLDL- very low density lipoprotein)  then there is a cause for concern.  If a person's HDL is higher than 40 and the triglycerides are less than 150, the particles on the LDL are likely of the large and fluffy variety indicating a healthy profile even if the total number is high. 

If you look at the statistics,  people with low cholesterol actually have more heart attacks than people with high cholesterol. Cholesterol is not bad and has many beneficial effects in our body otherwise our body would not produce it.  When you get your cholesterol checked, ask the doctor to  do an NMR or VAP test so you can get a look at your particles.  This is the only way to know whether your LDL number is  bad or good.  Do not start taking statins based solely on the LDL or "total"  number.  If you want to increase your HDL then increase your intake of saturated fat, this will also lower your triglycerides.
Thanks for the info , i've been dealing with this issue... statin drugs are not very good , i have tried red yeast rice & oatmeal.. thanks for the info again,
ClubDirt PM ClubDirt
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 23649
United States
 
ClubDirt
Participation Meter
Posted: 5/25/2011 9:26:39 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by topcat69:

Thanks for the info , i've been dealing with this issue... statin drugs are not very good , i have tried red yeast rice & oatmeal.. thanks for the info again,

there is a lot of bad information out there about fats and cholesterol.  sharpaction will set you straight. 
payday000 PM payday000
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 468
Ontario
 
payday000
Participation Meter
Posted: 5/27/2011 2:57:51 AM
stay away from the drugs you dont need them ... that saying slowly lower your dosage for 6 months until your body doesn't need to rely on them. In the opposite manner start off with 2-3 days a week of cardio and build up to about 4-5 times a week which will help lower your bad cholesterol (low density lipo proteins .ldl) and raise you HDL(high density lipo protein) ... that said  regular cardiovascular aerobic exercise will incease vasodilation of your viens and arteries which will increase your blood supply and therefore lower your risk of any clogging that ldl cholesterol does to your veins and arteries. also another good thing that can drastically reduce ldl chorlestrol is relaxation techniques with streching .... this is a more western idea but really calms the mind and connects both body and mind and will in turn help in your overall well being .... if you want to stay on pill move to the multi vitamins and flax seed or fish oil to increase your metabolism
Kelly_Slater PM Kelly_Slater
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 7621
Jamaica
 
Kelly_Slater
Participation Meter
Posted: 5/28/2011 12:52:17 AM
nothing fried for 6 months
WhiteMice PM WhiteMice
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 10787
British Indian
              Ocean Territory
 
WhiteMice
Participation Meter
Posted: 6/4/2011 5:50:01 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by topcat69:

Thanks for the info , i've been dealing with this issue... statin drugs are not very good , i have tried red yeast rice & oatmeal.. thanks for the info again,
statins lots of side effects on a lot of users. New theory is to take 25mg lycopene daily in addition to 1200+ mg red rice. And whether statins or these, must take CoQ10  
KeyMaster PM KeyMaster
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1265
Wisconsin
 
KeyMaster
Participation Meter
Posted: 6/6/2011 10:46:40 PM
I heard Red Rice does well, I just started Mona Vie Juice with Acai Berry in it (plus 18 other fruits)  it tastes awesome and is suppose to control cholesterol.  We shall see. 
Forum: Food & Fitness
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.