does anyone think this is a good prop

Forum: Poker
Author: [Poker] Topic: does anyone think this is a good prop
CroatianNation PM CroatianNation
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 502
 
CroatianNation
Participation Meter
Covers Rehab
Posted: 8/27/2009 9:55:31 AM
dont watch poker that much,k but i know phil ivey is friggin awesome
 
and i don't know who darvin moon is
 
Which player will last longer in the 2009 main event?
Phil Ivey +400
Darvin Moon -400.
 
 
BillyBuck PM BillyBuck
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7454
 
BillyBuck
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 8/27/2009 9:58:00 AM
vanzack PM vanzack
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 52546
 
vanzack
Participation Meter
Legend
Posted: 8/27/2009 10:00:00 AM
That cant be right.
 
No house hold on that wager?
 
Impossible.
ArmedNAruba PM ArmedNAruba
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1211
 
ArmedNAruba
Participation Meter
Covers Rehab
Posted: 8/27/2009 11:02:59 AM
Ummmm...cosidering Moon has 58 million chips and Ivey has 9 million in chips, Moon -400 is the bet.
DannoDanger PM DannoDanger
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3550
 
DannoDanger
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 8/27/2009 11:10:54 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by ArmedNAruba:

Ummmm...cosidering Moon has 58 million chips and Ivey has 9 million in chips, Moon -400 is the bet.

I agree (even though I believe Vanzack is right), but think about Moon right now.  He's some hillbilly who has to wait four months to get back to the tourney.  He left as the overwhelming chip  leader, on a super-hot run, and now he's the overwhelming favorite.  The pressure is going to kill this guy.  You saw Dennis Phillips last year, right?  He ended up in third, but he let people run all over him (Demidov AQ) because he was so nervous/tight.  I can see Moon getting chopped down and disappointing. 

TRAIN69 PM TRAIN69
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 43757
 
TRAIN69
Participation Meter
Legend
Posted: 8/27/2009 10:03:04 PM
but with that many chips, he can lose a couple hands....all he needs to do is win one.....
 
 
and ivey aint exactly lighting it up in big tourneys....he usually busts out early....
DannoDanger PM DannoDanger
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3550
 
DannoDanger
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 8/27/2009 10:24:47 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by TRAIN69:

 
 
and ivey aint exactly lighting it up in big tourneys....he usually busts out early....

He's in the final nine.

NL_Holdem34 PM NL_Holdem34
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1046
 
NL_Holdem34
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 8/28/2009 12:54:37 AM
I'd take a flyer on Ivey + 400.  Keen poker mind, and months to figure out how to win that thing
 
Hate laying even -400 on such an unknown
 
 
TRAIN69 PM TRAIN69
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 43757
 
TRAIN69
Participation Meter
Legend
Posted: 8/28/2009 11:35:04 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by DannoDanger:

He's in the final nine.



I know this.
DannoDanger PM DannoDanger
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3550
 
DannoDanger
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 8/28/2009 2:14:40 PM
He also won two bracelets this year.  A focused Phil Ivey is a dangerous man.
captjohn67 PM captjohn67
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12821
 
captjohn67
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 8/30/2009 9:27:15 AM
i would not touch that prop...
wizardofroz PM wizardofroz
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 6146
 
wizardofroz
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 8/31/2009 4:03:54 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by CroatianNation:

dont watch poker that much,k but i know phil ivey is friggin awesome
 
and i don't know who darvin moon is
 
Which player will last longer in the 2009 main event?
Phil Ivey +400
Darvin Moon -400.
 
 

 Phil Ivey makes a final table at the WSOP, albeit lowest in chips, and people think he is awesome?  What makes him so damn special as a poker player compared to past guys that have accomplished the same feat?

Croatian, I'll be looking forward to your future posts on why Darvin Moon is the greatest poker player ever to walk this earth. 

 

DannoDanger PM DannoDanger
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3550
 
DannoDanger
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 8/31/2009 6:34:52 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by wizardofroz:

 Phil Ivey makes a final table at the WSOP, albeit lowest in chips, and people think he is awesome?  What makes him so damn special as a poker player compared to past guys that have accomplished the same feat?

This is sarcasm, right? 

wizardofroz PM wizardofroz
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 6146
 
wizardofroz
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 8/31/2009 7:31:01 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by DannoDanger:

This is sarcasm, right? 

No, the idolatry of poker players never ceases to amaze me.  Most of them are broke losers that brag about how they dropped out of school to realize their calling in life.  Just listening to them opine on TV about how smart they are just makes me laugh. Instead of staying in school, a lot of otherwise intelligent college kids try to emulate these bums.  Breaking even in the long run gambling on anything is a great feat IMO, but TV makes most poker players look like they are rich and have money to burn. 

 

DannoDanger PM DannoDanger
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3550
 
DannoDanger
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 8/31/2009 11:22:27 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by wizardofroz:

No, the idolatry of poker players never ceases to amaze me.  Most of them are broke losers that brag about how they dropped out of school to realize their calling in life.  Just listening to them opine on TV about how smart they are just makes me laugh. Instead of staying in school, a lot of otherwise intelligent college kids try to emulate these bums.  Breaking even in the long run gambling on anything is a great feat IMO, but TV makes most poker players look like they are rich and have money to burn. 

 

How philosophically brilliant...... 

wizardofroz PM wizardofroz
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 6146
 
wizardofroz
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 8/31/2009 6:55:41 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by DannoDanger:

How philosophically brilliant...... 

 Thank you.  Now for your equally brilliant counterpoint.  I'm all ears.

DannoDanger PM DannoDanger
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3550
 
DannoDanger
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 8/31/2009 10:59:59 PM
Don't have one.  I know there are alot of clowns out there, but I also know that there are alot of players earning a solid living playing poker.  Phil Ivey is the guy that most players aspire to be like.  If you don't think he's a great player and earner, than I just don't know what to tell you. 
wizardofroz PM wizardofroz
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 6146
 
wizardofroz
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 9/1/2009 4:30:53 AM
Phil Ivey is a good poker player, but without his endorsements such as Full Tilt, I don't see how his success can last.  FWIW, how does a guy like Phil Laak have a dime to his name?  He seems like a fairly intelligent person and he dates sexy Jennifer, but what has he ever won to sustain the stakes he plays for?
 
Another point:  Those that can, do, those that can't, teach.  David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth write very good books on odds, but neither has carried that knowledge to success at the tables.  My point is that a lot of poker players can basically tell you the ideal way to play almost every hand based on position, chips, etc., but it guarantees you nothing. 
 
I would say that currently less than 5% make a comfortable living playing poker, and who is to say that will last?  I wish you would hear more balanced reporting on the poker bust outs who had millions at one time due to a lucky period in their life, but are broke now.  I have a lot of respect for Ted Forrest because he is a good poker player, and admits he has been a millionaire and broke soon thereafter.  There just are not enough honest stories out there about those that have chased the poker dream, and destroyed their life because of it. 
 
I have no problem if someone makes it big SOLELY playing poker.  I just think those individuals are rare.  Just look at all the otherwise bright college kids that think they are the next poker superstar.     
BrianLaverty PM BrianLaverty
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 5760
 
BrianLaverty
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 9/1/2009 3:02:59 PM
wizardofoz, you don't pay much attention to the financial specifics of poker do you?


For one thing, estimates are that Phil Ivey is worth more then $50M.   He has a huge stake in Full Tilt.. somewhere around 5%, as he was one of the original founders of the company.   Has nothing to do with endorsements, but actual OWNERSHIP of a company thats probably worth hundreds of millions of dollars.....

If thats not enough, he is the winningest player on Full Tilt since 2007.   He's up 7 mil in all games.... you can check sites like highstakesdb.com as they track all games.

He's made more on prop bets this WSOP then any other person won in dollars....

EVERYONE says hes the best poker player in the world...  stop saying garbage just to say garbage.


BrianLaverty PM BrianLaverty
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 5760
 
BrianLaverty
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 9/1/2009 3:04:56 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by TRAIN69:

but with that many chips, he can lose a couple hands....all he needs to do is win one.....
 
 
and ivey aint exactly lighting it up in big tourneys....he usually busts out early....


He won a WPT tourney last year... won 2 bracelets this yer....  how is this not lighting it up? wtf?
username474 PM username474
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 307
 
username474
Participation Meter
Prospect
Posted: 9/5/2009 12:02:31 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by wizardofroz:

Phil Ivey is a good poker player, but without his endorsements such as Full Tilt, I don't see how his success can last.  FWIW, how does a guy like Phil Laak have a dime to his name?  He seems like a fairly intelligent person and he dates sexy Jennifer, but what has he ever won to sustain the stakes he plays for?
 
Another point:  Those that can, do, those that can't, teach.  David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth write very good books on odds, but neither has carried that knowledge to success at the tables.  My point is that a lot of poker players can basically tell you the ideal way to play almost every hand based on position, chips, etc., but it guarantees you nothing. 
 
I would say that currently less than 5% make a comfortable living playing poker, and who is to say that will last?  I wish you would hear more balanced reporting on the poker bust outs who had millions at one time due to a lucky period in their life, but are broke now.  I have a lot of respect for Ted Forrest because he is a good poker player, and admits he has been a millionaire and broke soon thereafter.  There just are not enough honest stories out there about those that have chased the poker dream, and destroyed their life because of it. 
 
I have no problem if someone makes it big SOLELY playing poker.  I just think those individuals are rare.  Just look at all the otherwise bright college kids that think they are the next poker superstar.     

  Phil Laak plays cash games well within his means and that he has a very +ev adv. He is a very disciplined cash game player.The guys who go broke are playing way above their bankroll and skill level. I agree that there are very few tourtment players that will stay in money long term. But there is TONS of leather behind cash game players that stay within in their means have good a advantage in the cash games they play in, and make 100k to 200k a year.

And to not see how Phil Ivey success will last you need a very strong percription for your glasses. He can beat any cash game on the plant regularly. He owns 5% of the bigget online poker room in the world. And if all that fails, which it won't he can easly slum it and beat any 5-10 nl game in world for 10k a week. Not a bad living.

And I strongly believe Ted Forrest is a millionaire again.

DannoDanger PM DannoDanger
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3550
 
DannoDanger
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 9/5/2009 1:58:43 PM
Read this story about Phil Laak:
 
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker/columns/story?columnist=bluff_magazine&id=4381359
 
He hasn't been broke in a long time. 
wizardofroz PM wizardofroz
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 6146
 
wizardofroz
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 9/6/2009 9:17:43 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by username474:

  Phil Laak plays cash games well within his means and that he has a very +ev adv. He is a very disciplined cash game player.The guys who go broke are playing way above their bankroll and skill level. I agree that there are very few tourtment players that will stay in money long term. But there is TONS of leather behind cash game players that stay within in their means have good a advantage in the cash games they play in, and make 100k to 200k a year.

And to not see how Phil Ivey success will last you need a very strong percription for your glasses. He can beat any cash game on the plant regularly. He owns 5% of the bigget online poker room in the world. And if all that fails, which it won't he can easly slum it and beat any 5-10 nl game in world for 10k a week. Not a bad living.

And I strongly believe Ted Forrest is a millionaire again.

I'm sure you hear the latest news on these guys, being that you live out in Nevada.  Thanks for sharing.  And I could not be happier for Ted Forrest, as he seems like a very classy guy. 

Forum: Poker
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.