Paul Harvey's warning to America 1965 ..... SCARY how much of this applies today

Forum: Politics
Author: [Politics] Topic: Paul Harvey's warning to America 1965 ..... SCARY how much of this applies today
J_Galt PM J_Galt
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 381
 
J_Galt
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 3/23/2012 4:02:19 PM

PAUL HARVEY’S ‘IF I WERE THE DEVIL’ TRANSCRIPT
If I were the devil …
I wouldn’t be happy until I had seized the ripest apple on the tree — Thee.
So I’d set about however necessary to take over the United States. I’d subvert the churches first — I’d begin with a campaign of whispers. With the wisdom of a serpent, I would whisper to you as I whispered to Eve: ‘Do as you please.’

“To the young, I would whisper that ‘The Bible is a myth.’ I would convince them that man created God instead of the other way around. I would confide that what’s bad is good, and what’s good is ‘square.’
And the old, I would teach to pray, after me, ‘Our Father, which art in Washington…’

“And then I’d get organized. I’d educate authors in how to make lurid literature exciting, so that anything else would appear dull and uninteresting. I’d threaten TV with dirtier movies and vice versa. I’d pedal narcotics to whom I could. I’d sell alcohol to ladies and gentlemen of distinction. I’d tranquilize the rest with pills.

“If I were the devil I’d soon have families that war with themselves, churches at war with themselves, and nations at war with themselves; until each in its turn was consumed, and with promises of higher ratings I’d have mesmerizing media fanning the flames.

If I were the devil I would encourage schools to refine young intellects, but neglect to discipline emotions — just let those run wild, until before you knew it, you’d have to have drug sniffing dogs and metal detectors at every schoolhouse door.

“Within a decade I’d have prisons overflowing, I’d have judges promoting pornography — soon I could evict God from the courthouse, then from the schoolhouse, and then from the houses of Congress. And in His own churches I would substitute psychology for religion, and deify science. I would lure priests and pastors into misusing boys and girls, and church money.

If I were the devil I’d make the symbols of Easter an egg and the symbol of Christmas a bottle.

“If I were the devil I’d take from those, and who have, and give to those wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious.

And what do you bet?
"I could get whole states to promote gambling as thee way to get rich?

I would caution against extremes and hard work, in Patriotism, in moral conduct. I would convince the young that marriage is old-fashioned, that swinging is more fun, that what you see on the TV is the way to be. And thus I could undress you in public, and I could lure you into bed with diseases for which there is no cure.

In other words, if I were the devil I’d just keep right on doing on what he’s doing. Paul Harvey, good day.”

J_Galt PM J_Galt
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 381
 
J_Galt
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 3/23/2012 4:02:38 PM
snopes
cd329 PM cd329
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 18791
 
cd329
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 3/23/2012 4:57:37 PM
Its amazing how dead on he was with that.    Good thing he didnt mention anything about the world coming to an end at the end of this year, because the way he made these predictions it probably would happen.
KOAJ PM KOAJ
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 66698
 
KOAJ
Participation Meter
Covers Linesmen
Posted: 3/23/2012 5:17:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDisyWkIBM

even better set of predictions
Ktrain PM Ktrain
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 6371
 
Ktrain
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 3/23/2012 5:48:28 PM
Interesting but a lot of it seems like bull garbage to me, especially the religious part. 

Religion to me is like being rain made. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxQw0VoT538

Also, if you don't believe in religion, then there is no devil. If there is no devil, then you don't have to worry about this anyway. 
J_Galt PM J_Galt
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 381
 
J_Galt
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 3/23/2012 5:51:22 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by KOAJ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDisyWkIBM

even better set of predictions

@ 2:13 mark
Paul says "The Karzai govt will fail "

I thought Karzai took power in 2004 and this video is marked from 2002

but either way, Ron Paul pretty much nailed it.
No wonder he is such a threat to both parties and all media
ClubDirt PM ClubDirt
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 24323
 
ClubDirt
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Posted: 3/23/2012 5:59:22 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Ktrain:

Interesting but a lot of it seems like bull garbage to me, especially the religious part. 

Religion to me is like being rain made. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxQw0VoT538

Also, if you don't believe in religion, then there is no devil. If there is no devil, then you don't have to worry about this anyway. 


but according to this harvey fella, if there's no devil, there are no dirty movies, pornography, drugs, alcohol, strip clubs, making fun of religion and so on.  where's the fun in that? 
Ktrain PM Ktrain
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 6371
 
Ktrain
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 3/23/2012 6:09:45 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by ClubDirt:



but according to this harvey fella, if there's no devil, there are no dirty movies, pornography, drugs, alcohol, strip clubs, making fun of religion and so on.  where's the fun in that? 

I would be very good friends with the devil then I guess. Honestly this sounds like a great weekend in my book. 
D_Unit PM D_Unit
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 2642
 
D_Unit
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 3/23/2012 6:42:34 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Ktrain:


I would be very good friends with the devil then I guess. Honestly this sounds like a great weekend in my book. 

Well I guess Heaven isn't for everyone, eh?

Ktrain PM Ktrain
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 6371
 
Ktrain
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 3/23/2012 7:14:29 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by D_Unit:

Well I guess Heaven isn't for everyone, eh?


If it's anything like the Mormon Church then it isn't for me. 

I'm all for everyone having the choice in believing what they want. Just don't knock on my door to tell me about it. 
OakleyDoak PM OakleyDoak
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1099
 
OakleyDoak
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 3/23/2012 7:21:33 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by KOAJ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDisyWkIBM

even better set of predictions

Ron Paul's predictions are eerily precise !!

Has he referenced any of them,and particularly that video,during his campaigninig ?
I believe if he didn't,but would've,he could've sequestered an unfathomable addition of support.

cd329 PM cd329
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 18791
 
cd329
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 3/23/2012 8:51:35 PM
This Harvey guy wrote his thing in 1964, huge difference in predictions
TheGoldenGoose PM TheGoldenGoose
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 26483
 
TheGoldenGoose
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Posted: 3/23/2012 9:37:24 PM
Paul Harvey was great to listen to on the AM radio.  He would narrate these scripts so eloquently, like Vin Scully calling a Dodger game on a perfect summer's evening.  And at every story, he would pause for a commercial break with, "Stay tuned for the REST of the story".

You would wait for three minutes, which seemed like three hours, and Paul Harvey would put a spin on the story's ending that was always as good as any murder mystery ending you ever read.  You NEVER saw it coming... BANG.  A remarkable story ending that was guaranteed to put a smirk on your face.  Then he'd end each story with, "Paul Harvey, good day".
ClubDirt PM ClubDirt
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 24323
 
ClubDirt
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Posted: 3/23/2012 11:00:42 PM
more solid predictions by the religious.  if you don't bet manning and denver under props right now, you hate money because god is on your side. 

betting with god 

spending money on devilish things 
KOAJ PM KOAJ
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 66698
 
KOAJ
Participation Meter
Covers Linesmen
Posted: 3/24/2012 7:14:08 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by OakleyDoak:

Ron Paul's predictions are eerily precise !!

Has he referenced any of them,and particularly that video,during his campaigninig ?
I believe if he didn't,but would've,he could've sequestered an unfathomable addition of support.



no...he's too humble to do that. his supporters are more than happy to send that video to everyone they know
ClubDirt PM ClubDirt
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 24323
 
ClubDirt
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Posted: 3/24/2012 10:33:39 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by KOAJ:



no...he's too humble to do that. his supporters are more than happy to send that video to everyone they know


why isn't this guy in prison?
J_Galt PM J_Galt
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 381
 
J_Galt
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 3/24/2012 11:19:32 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by ClubDirt:



why isn't this guy in prison?


KOAJ PM KOAJ
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 66698
 
KOAJ
Participation Meter
Covers Linesmen
Posted: 3/24/2012 11:47:55 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by ClubDirt:



why isn't this guy in prison?


a proud alum of Goldman Sachs and a major fundraiser for the current administration

a crook of the highest order

long term, how many of JP Morgan's competitors have gone under or swallowed up by them since 08...Bear, Lehman, and now MF
ClubDirt PM ClubDirt
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 24323
 
ClubDirt
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Posted: 3/24/2012 8:34:07 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by J_Galt:

PAUL HARVEY’S ‘IF I WERE THE DEVIL’ TRANSCRIPT
If I were the devil …
I wouldn’t be happy until I had seized the ripest apple on the tree — Thee.
So I’d set about however necessary to take over the United States. I’d subvert the churches first — I’d begin with a campaign of whispers. With the wisdom of a serpent, I would whisper to you as I whispered to Eve: ‘Do as you please.’

“To the young, I would whisper that ‘The Bible is a myth.’ I would convince them that man created God instead of the other way around. I would confide that what’s bad is good, and what’s good is ‘square.’
And the old, I would teach to pray, after me, ‘Our Father, which art in Washington…’

“And then I’d get organized. I’d educate authors in how to make lurid literature exciting, so that anything else would appear dull and uninteresting. I’d threaten TV with dirtier movies and vice versa. I’d pedal narcotics to whom I could. I’d sell alcohol to ladies and gentlemen of distinction. I’d tranquilize the rest with pills.

“If I were the devil I’d soon have families that war with themselves, churches at war with themselves, and nations at war with themselves; until each in its turn was consumed, and with promises of higher ratings I’d have mesmerizing media fanning the flames.

If I were the devil I would encourage schools to refine young intellects, but neglect to discipline emotions — just let those run wild, until before you knew it, you’d have to have drug sniffing dogs and metal detectors at every schoolhouse door.

“Within a decade I’d have prisons overflowing, I’d have judges promoting pornography — soon I could evict God from the courthouse, then from the schoolhouse, and then from the houses of Congress. And in His own churches I would substitute psychology for religion, and deify science. I would lure priests and pastors into misusing boys and girls, and church money.

If I were the devil I’d make the symbols of Easter an egg and the symbol of Christmas a bottle.

“If I were the devil I’d take from those, and who have, and give to those wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious.

And what do you bet?
"I could get whole states to promote gambling as thee way to get rich?

I would caution against extremes and hard work, in Patriotism, in moral conduct. I would convince the young that marriage is old-fashioned, that swinging is more fun, that what you see on the TV is the way to be. And thus I could undress you in public, and I could lure you into bed with diseases for which there is no cure.

In other words, if I were the devil I’d just keep right on doing on what he’s doing. Paul Harvey, good day.”



kind of reminds me of this cartoon
dl36 PM dl36
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 27850
 
dl36
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 3/24/2012 8:47:42 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by ClubDirt:



kind of reminds me of this cartoon


Its only funny because it is true

ClubDirt PM ClubDirt
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 24323
 
ClubDirt
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Posted: 3/24/2012 8:54:01 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by dl36:



Its only funny because it is true



i appreciate the messages with irony.  like the republican voter one i posted.  it's funny how many santorum followers are in the bomb iran group yet their guy is much more like the iranian president than any other candidate we've seen in a while. 
dl36 PM dl36
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 27850
 
dl36
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 3/25/2012 1:08:57 AM
and interestingly use religion often times to try give them absolute power...
dl36 PM dl36
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 27850
 
dl36
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 3/25/2012 2:56:04 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Ktrain:


If it's anything like the Mormon Church then it isn't for me. 

I'm all for everyone having the choice in believing what they want. Just don't knock on my door to tell me about it. 


I think the mormon version of heaven sounds great... like the muslim version with the virgins... 

for some the more out there the vision the more appealing rather then less believable...
Forum: Politics
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.