Making a concerted effort to buy American

Forum: General Discussion
Author: [General Discussion] Topic: Making a concerted effort to buy American
SashimiKid PM SashimiKid
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2003
 
SashimiKid
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 4/29/2012 12:38:08 PM
Its got to the point where I feel guilty buying an import when their is an American alternative within a reasonable amount(50% higher)....tough when shopping at Wal-Mart or Lowes but doing my best....Our economy has been ravaged by cheap subsidized imports so I decided to support my fellow countrymen/women... Hopefully fellow covers members will do the same in the future
HockeyTeeth PM HockeyTeeth
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1713
 
HockeyTeeth
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 4/29/2012 1:45:13 PM
Sushi is Un-American 
Biscuiteater1 PM Biscuiteater1
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 16531
 
Biscuiteater1
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 4/29/2012 2:21:01 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by HockeyTeeth:

Sushi is Un-American 
Long as the fish resided in U.S.waters it's ok.
Slobbasaurus PM Slobbasaurus
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 5495
 
Slobbasaurus
Participation Meter
Captain
Posted: 4/30/2012 9:31:10 AM
It really is difficult.  Almost everything sold here in the States is manufactured outside of the country.
mainmanmainman2 PM mainmanmainman2
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 4357
 
mainmanmainman2
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 4/30/2012 4:58:00 PM
most sushi in usa sucks... sorry but its true...
BMA PM BMA
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 13782
 
BMA
Participation Meter
Banned
Posted: 4/30/2012 5:38:10 PM
stop buying Chinese stuff
searchwarrant PM searchwarrant
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 66402
 
searchwarrant
Participation Meter
Legend
Posted: 4/30/2012 5:43:24 PM

I make my own sashimi, how's that for being American?

Sushi grade -  What a hoax.  Unless you're talking yellowtail snapper or other distant exotics from deep water then yeah, but the others are easy to handle.

 

mainmanmainman2 PM mainmanmainman2
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 4357
 
mainmanmainman2
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 4/30/2012 6:33:30 PM
were u the one asking about how to prepare sushi? or was that someone else or another forum?

i cant recall




to orig poster:

if u wanna take it another step, try a conscious mind to preserve the environment, for instance a pair of jeans usually travels 24,000 miles to get to your home.
TheGoldenGoose PM TheGoldenGoose
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 26476
 
TheGoldenGoose
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Posted: 4/30/2012 6:36:18 PM

I've decided to support my fellow countrymen/women too.

I needed a new lawn mower.

Did I go down to Home Depot or Lowes and pay $500 for a new, made in China, piece of garbage new lawnmower?

HELL NO!!!

I pulled my two old beat-to-garbage mowers out of my shed.  Took them to an enterprising young man who rebuilds and restores these things.  Paid him $300 and now I have TWO fully refurbished machines instead of paying those Corporate people good money for ONE cheap new machine.

I FEEL REALLY GOOD ABOUT THAT TODAY. 
SashimiKid PM SashimiKid
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2003
 
SashimiKid
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 4/30/2012 7:58:32 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:


I've decided to support my fellow countrymen/women too.

I needed a new lawn mower.

Did I go down to Home Depot or Lowes and pay $500 for a new, made in China, piece of garbage new lawnmower?

HELL NO!!!

I pulled my two old beat-to-garbage mowers out of my shed.  Took them to an enterprising young man who rebuilds and restores these things.  Paid him $300 and now I have TWO fully refurbished machines instead of paying those Corporate people good money for ONE cheap new machine.

I FEEL REALLY GOOD ABOUT THAT TODAY. 

    
SashimiKid PM SashimiKid
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2003
 
SashimiKid
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 4/30/2012 8:00:26 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

I make my own sashimi, how's that for being American?

Sushi grade -  What a hoax.  Unless you're talking yellowtail snapper or other distant exotics from deep water then yeah, but the others are easy to handle.


You ever find any white flesh salmon??? Going fishing in the great Northwest in two weeks hope I catch some

 

Getty3 PM Getty3
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 19601
 
Getty3
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 4/30/2012 8:02:24 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by mainmanmainman2:

most sushi in usa sucks... sorry but its true...
..and so where in your worldy travels have you experienced not so sucky sushi ? 
Getty3 PM Getty3
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 19601
 
Getty3
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 4/30/2012 8:08:35 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by searchwarrant:

I make my own sashimi, how's that for being American?

Sushi grade -  What a hoax.  Unless you're talking yellowtail snapper or other distant exotics from deep water then yeah, but the others are easy to handle.

 

Yellowtails are richly abundant on the deeper reefs (30-120') of South Florida and The Bahamas. I catch them in 60' during the summer within sight of land off Northeast Florida. Delicious, but no better than the more common vermillion snapper.
mainmanmainman2 PM mainmanmainman2
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 4357
 
mainmanmainman2
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 4/30/2012 8:35:17 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Getty3:

..and so where in your worldy travels have you experienced not so sucky sushi ? 

japan, the motherland
searchwarrant PM searchwarrant
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 66402
 
searchwarrant
Participation Meter
Legend
Posted: 4/30/2012 8:48:23 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Getty3:

Yellowtails are richly abundant on the deeper reefs (30-120') of South Florida and The Bahamas. I catch them in 60' during the summer within sight of land off Northeast Florida. Delicious, but no better than the more common vermillion snapper.

No garbage. Can we talk about this. I speared a yellow tail while diving in both Miami and Honduras. I sashimi'd him while he was still flopping on the deck.

Now this was a the typical yellow tail with an actual yellow horizontal line from nose to tail(they are everywhere on the reef). Are we talking about the same 30 foot fish? I know the deep water yellow snapper is deeeeeeeep. That's why they cost so damn much to eat. Who the darn is going that far to spear one fish? Then haul it up an hope the men in grey suits dob't take it.

He tasted really good.

searchwarrant PM searchwarrant
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 66402
 
searchwarrant
Participation Meter
Legend
Posted: 4/30/2012 8:57:00 PM

You guys ever had raw conche snail fresh off of a dive?

Most of it is poaching which I will never do but it is the caviar of the sea.

One day I will farm them and stone crabs will never be harassed again.

searchwarrant PM searchwarrant
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 66402
 
searchwarrant
Participation Meter
Legend
Posted: 4/30/2012 9:01:34 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by mainmanmainman2:


japan, the motherland

Japan is where the market is set.

Bluefin tuna for example. Known as the Porsche of the sea and Japan gets the top hits right off the friggin illegal net boats.

Porsche because they are as expensive, as fast, as big and as desirable.

SashimiKid PM SashimiKid
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2003
 
SashimiKid
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 4/30/2012 9:02:04 PM
conche
be easy PM be easy
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 15420
 
be easy
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 4/30/2012 9:05:38 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by SashimiKid:

Its got to the point where I feel guilty buying an import when their is an American alternative within a reasonable amount(50% higher)....tough when shopping at Wal-Mart or Lowes but doing my best....Our economy has been ravaged by cheap subsidized imports so I decided to support my fellow countrymen/women... Hopefully fellow covers members will do the same in the future


you're willing to fork over a .50 premium on every dollar for MADE IN AMERICA

why on Earth would you do that?

what do you have against people that work in other countries?  How about your petroleum products? ONly going to buy MADE IN AMERICA petro? where do you buy american gas?
SashimiKid PM SashimiKid
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2003
 
SashimiKid
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 4/30/2012 9:09:58 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by be easy:



you're willing to fork over a .50 premium on every dollar for MADE IN AMERICA

why on Earth would you do that?

what do you have against people that work in other countries?  How about your petroleum products? ONly going to buy MADE IN AMERICA petro? where do you buy american gas?

A) Yes
B)Because I want to
C)Nothing
D)What about them
E)Would like to
F)Dont know


be easy PM be easy
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 15420
 
be easy
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 4/30/2012 9:24:36 PM
.Our economy has been ravaged by cheap subsidized imports so I decided to support my fellow countrymen/women... Hopefully fellow covers members will do the same in the future


i don't see imports as the reason why economic times are tough. Seems to me, the weak dollar is what is crushing us. We're not importing weak dollar policy, that is one of the many things we still do make right here at home

i like gooses post, and that's the kind of things i like to do to help the local economy.   and i need a mower, my 48" took a garbage on me
searchwarrant PM searchwarrant
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 66402
 
searchwarrant
Participation Meter
Legend
Posted: 4/30/2012 11:29:25 PM

And who is fixing your lawn mower?

Right, imported labor at a low hourly rate - then the half the money is sent back to Mexico.

Not that simple.

mainmanmainman2 PM mainmanmainman2
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 4357
 
mainmanmainman2
Participation Meter
Veteran
Posted: 4/30/2012 11:36:25 PM
all u gotta do is buy apple stock, with the money u make off of that u can buy w/e made in america stuff u want.

thats how u do it!

well this idea may or may not be too late...
jay10 PM jay10
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 15682
 
jay10
Participation Meter
MVP
Posted: 4/30/2012 11:42:01 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by mainmanmainman2:

all u gotta do is buy apple stock, with the money u make off of that u can buy w/e made in america stuff u want.

thats how u do it!

well this idea may or may not be too late...
,,,,,,,,.
Forum: General Discussion
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.