Messages

Forum Index : Politics : Messages Page 2 of 2  1 2  
Author: [Politics] Topic: President Obama claims oil is $1.20 a barrel
bowlslit send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
bowlslit
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4235
Location: Greece
#26
Posted: 3/23/2012 6:56:03 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by cd329:

well since the majority of the tax collected goes towards the highways, if we got rid of the gasoline taxes. How are we going to replace that money?
Oh i know, lets not have highways anymore.
Really how long does it take some of you to come up with these genius ideas?
I know i would rather being paying a gas tax, then having to pay another tax to replace the lost income that is generated if we got rid of the gas tax. The gas tax is fair, because its based on what each person uses. If you dont want to pay gas taxes, then dont use gasoline, its really that simple. ride your bike, take a cab, take a bus, use a skateboard, roller blades, walk or even use your horse.

Point is if you remove any type of tax that pays for something, that money is gonna have to be replaced some other way then.

What if its like DL36 and he only uses the gas to mow lawns?

He rides his bicycle everywhere else.

quote
cd329 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
cd329
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 18315
Location: United States
#27
Posted: 3/23/2012 8:32:41 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by KOAJ:



ah yes...if it weren't for government, there would be no roads




KOAJ, honestly sometimes i dont know if your busting balls or really believe the bs you say.
So lets, let private business build our nations roads. How do you think this stuff up or is somebody brain washing you in your sleep. Truth is you would like no govt at all int he country, but the fact is you cant have the type of free society we live in with 300 plus people without having a govt and thats a fact. Theres lots of countries that dont have govts which you seek, but i dont see you packing and moving there. I understand that every penny you make, you want to keep and not have to pay anything towards the functioning of our society, but it doesnt work that way and the sooner you get these silly ideas out of your mind, the way better off you will be.  And yes we all know that you just want to pay for the 5 roads you use and nothing else, it doesnt work that way and since you want to pay for just the roads you use, that must mean you dont do alot of driving thus, you really arent paying alot for the roads anyways since the money is coming from gas taxes, which you shouldnt be using alot of.
Bottomline is if you dont want to be apart of our society and chip in like we all do, then go one of the chaotic countries with no govt and everyday is like the wild wild west.  Send us a postcard and let us know how things are, maybe then we will all move there.
quote
cd329 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
cd329
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 18315
Location: United States
#28
Posted: 3/23/2012 8:41:56 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by bowlslit:

What if its like DL36 and he only uses the gas to mow lawns?

He rides his bicycle everywhere else.



so what is your point here? I sure hope your point is, why does DL have to pay a gas tax if he only uses gas to mow his lawn?  I sure hope you arent that dumb, but if you are let me explain it to you. It doesnt matter if a person buys gasoline to drink it, hes still using gas and there is a tax on buying that gas and that gas tax goes towards fixing and maintaining roads. What he used the gas for has no bearing on the tax. They must hire anybody to sell insurance, thats why i have said they could probably train a chimp to do it.  If DL just uses his bike, then he paid less taxes to fix the roads and since his car wasnt on the roads, it means that was one less car to damage the roads.

quote
bowlslit send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
bowlslit
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4235
Location: Greece
#29
Posted: 3/24/2012 2:40:58 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by cd329:



so what is your point here? I sure hope your point is, why does DL have to pay a gas tax if he only uses gas to mow his lawn?  I sure hope you arent that dumb, but if you are let me explain it to you. It doesnt matter if a person buys gasoline to drink it, hes still using gas and there is a tax on buying that gas and that gas tax goes towards fixing and maintaining roads. What he used the gas for has no bearing on the tax. They must hire anybody to sell insurance, thats why i have said they could probably train a chimp to do it.  If DL just uses his bike, then he paid less taxes to fix the roads and since his car wasnt on the roads, it means that was one less car to damage the roads.

Actually, thats a very bad explanation on your part.

City roads, police, fire,  and infrastructure are supposed to be paid with property type taxes.

Having a state tax AND a federal tax seems like double taxation to me.

Its the same as having a city tax on groceries and then a state tax on the same groceries. Or even a state tax followed by a federal tax.

You may be a bit too biased to be in this discussion because you love taxes that pay for unreasonable government pensions. You probably wouldn't be against putting a policeman on every street corner.

quote
cd329 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
cd329
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 18315
Location: United States
#30
Posted: 3/24/2012 7:35:57 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by bowlslit:

Actually, thats a very bad explanation on your part.

City roads, police, fire,  and infrastructure are supposed to be paid with property type taxes.

Having a state tax AND a federal tax seems like double taxation to me.

Its the same as having a city tax on groceries and then a state tax on the same groceries. Or even a state tax followed by a federal tax.

You may be a bit too biased to be in this discussion because you love taxes that pay for unreasonable government pensions. You probably wouldn't be against putting a policeman on every street corner.



you really are as dumb as  box of rocks. The gas tax goes towards fixing highways, bridges, etc etc.  Your city taxes dont go to pay for highways dopey.

Yes i just love paying taxes, what a fuckin bonehead. I hate paying taxes just like anybody else does, but the difference between guys like me and idiots like you, is we know that if we want to live in the type of society we live in, then theres gonna have to be taxes.

I like the idea of the gas tax, because each person is actually paying for the amount of gas they use. If they didnt have the gas tax, then they would hit us with another tax.

If only your boss could read your posts, he would be saying how the hell did we hire this clown
quote
HutchEmAll send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
HutchEmAll
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 38026
Location: Minnesota
#31
Posted: 3/27/2012 3:10:25 PM
I work with a guy whos wife is a state social worker. He was telling me how her boss came to her and said they had to find a way to spend 30k for the same reason. The only reason they spent that money is because they didn't want to be short that money for the next year. Thats how its done all over the country.
_____________

This is a fact.  My dad worked for the State of MN his entire career and he has confirmed this.  The more efficient you are, the less money you get the next year.  

And republicans can complain all the want about roads (by the way, did anyone see the 35W bridge collapse in Minneapolis a few years back.....sure, that didn't need repair ), but the same thing applies with military spending.  It's all a big negotiation and BOTH sides use the system.  "Oh, I will gladly approve the bill that subsidizes the production of corn for ethanol purposes if you approve that bill which would allow us to produce 100 M-1's in our state."

That's all it is.  One giant horse trade.  
quote
KOAJ send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
KOAJ
Participation Meter
Covers Linesmen
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 66698
Location: New Jersey
#32
Posted: 3/27/2012 3:27:04 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by cd329:



KOAJ, honestly sometimes i dont know if your busting balls or really believe the bs you say.
So lets, let private business build our nations roads. How do you think this stuff up or is somebody brain washing you in your sleep. Truth is you would like no govt at all int he country, but the fact is you cant have the type of free society we live in with 300 plus people without having a govt and thats a fact. Theres lots of countries that dont have govts which you seek, but i dont see you packing and moving there. I understand that every penny you make, you want to keep and not have to pay anything towards the functioning of our society, but it doesnt work that way and the sooner you get these silly ideas out of your mind, the way better off you will be.  And yes we all know that you just want to pay for the 5 roads you use and nothing else, it doesnt work that way and since you want to pay for just the roads you use, that must mean you dont do alot of driving thus, you really arent paying alot for the roads anyways since the money is coming from gas taxes, which you shouldnt be using alot of.
Bottomline is if you dont want to be apart of our society and chip in like we all do, then go one of the chaotic countries with no govt and everyday is like the wild wild west.  Send us a postcard and let us know how things are, maybe then we will all move there.


cd - the government didnt start building roads until the last 100 years or so. really went nuts under Ike in the 50s with the federal highway system

you build a road or business builds a road because there is profit in doing so, meaning it will bring commerce or jobs to a factory or a community

if i see an isolated town of 1000 people who are willing to work for me but have no way of getting to my job because they have no cars and no roads. if their labor justifies me building a road and running a 24/7 shuttle service i will do so. i dont need the government to build me a road. i buy the land and do it.

once that 5 mile (example) road is built, maybe a deli or coffee shop will want to open and take advantage of the traffic flow and start a business

see how this works?

cd - i pay close to 50% of my income to governments on various levels for services i'm told i need to purchase at above market costs. please lecture me on chipping in. i pay plenty

if i didnt pay the feds last year, i could have hired someone to live in my house full time and cook and clean etc. i could have put in new pavers, finished the basement...instead of me investing my capital in the investments i wanted to make, i was forced to buy services that i didnt need from government

you say you want to help create american jobs. i gave you 3-4 above and you argue that government knows best what to do with the money that ive earned
quote
HutchEmAll send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
HutchEmAll
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 38026
Location: Minnesota
#33
Posted: 3/27/2012 4:39:10 PM
if i see an isolated town of 1000 people who are willing to work for me but have no way of getting to my job because they have no cars and no roads. if their labor justifies me building a road and running a 24/7 shuttle service i will do so. i dont need the government to build me a road. i buy the land and do it.
______________

Looks great on paper.  Let's say you decide to build that road....and it includes a bridge over a wide river.  Who decides who does the maintenance and inspection on said bridge?  You as the business owner?  

All this government regulation and involvement and yet we still see all sorts of disasters due to negligence (oil spills, companies dumping toxic waste everywhere, Halliburton....ponzi schemes.....banks lending to whoever they want) you think this is going to get better with less government?

Your approach assumes that people think like you, my friend.  I'm here to tell you that more than half of them don't.   You say, "screw 'em and let the free market sort things out," and you'd have anarchy on your hands." Not sure how excited a group of people would be to clean your house when they could just take it from you.  Just let the market figure everything out.  I'm sure the crime rate wouldn't go up at all.  




    






quote
HutchEmAll send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
HutchEmAll
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 38026
Location: Minnesota
#34
Posted: 3/27/2012 4:45:57 PM
Try re-thinking "Lord of the Flies?"  

Our government is terrible at a lot of things.  We as a group of citizens are unfortunately worse.
quote
wallstreetcappers send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
wallstreetcappers
Participation Meter
Covers Linesmen
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 50183
Location: United States
#35
Posted: 3/27/2012 4:59:52 PM
Good reply Hutch.

The free markets response is just another lazy way to turn your back on a very complex problem and girl about the government.

The very society people complain about is also the source of the very wealth that the same people enjoy.

quote
Forum Index : Politics : Messages Page 2 of 2  1 2  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.