Messages

Forum Index : College Football : Messages Page 5 of 14 «  3 4 5 6 7   »
Author: [College Football] Topic: *** College Football 2012 Breakdown ***
Boom_Boom send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 16327
Location: South Carolina
#101
Posted: 6/16/2012 10:53:27 AM
Arkansas - Man oh man what could have been. I m sorry Razorback fans but you had a chance for something special this year. Look here is the truth, you can have the best equipment in the world ( Dale Junior ) you can have all the resources and you can even have all best people around you ( Hendrick Motorsports ). But if you dont have the right man leading that ship, you no better then the rest. One great example is ( im about to go back a little further here then most of you remember ) Tom Osborne was the head football coach at Nebraska way back when. He ran this little offense called the wishbone. Now Mr. Osborne was the chief architect of this prolific offense. He hand his finger print on this offense like no other play caller Ive ever seen in my lifetime. Well, one day Tom had enough and decided to step down. His long time assistant Frank Solich took over the helm when he left. I remember  people saying hey, no big deal, its the scheme Nebraska will be fine. Long story short, Nebraska disappeared from the national spotlight for a long time. Simply because the true architect wasn't there to push the right buttons. Another great example is Mike Leach. Most of you with any football knowledge can see what has happened there in Lubbock. My point is very simple here. No Petrino = no chance at any championship. The guy was a offensive genius who had what? His finger print on that offense. This team is loaded on offense and Tyler Wilson is a prolific passer. I love the back field led by Knile Davis. The receiving group does take a hit losing Adams and Wright but overall your looking at some of the most polished receivers in the country. Defensively they are " good enough " know what I mean? I was never in love with the commitment that petrino made with towards his defense. These guys will give up some points but will get some stops. Trust me, Arkansas wasn't wining a championship on defense, it was going to be because of that offense.  Obviously the home game vs Alabama means so much for Arkansas. They do have a shot in that game IMO. The first road game @ Texas A&M should be interesting, why? It will be their first road game with numb nuts behind the wheel, Mr Smith. @ S.C will be tough although they have historically owned S.C and @ Miss s.t will be tough and then home vs LSU which is a obviously a tough game. Overall I say this group has the talent to win every game they play, but my gut says this is a 9 win football team.






up next miss s.t     
quote
packers1992 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
packers1992
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 9774
Location: Michigan
#102
Posted: 6/16/2012 11:00:22 AM
Boom its not showing up in the w/l column but imo Tx Tech upgraded in getting Tuberville. Leach was out of control with his mouth hes a buffoon and if you think he's winning big at wsh.state i'll sell you the bridge to nowhere
quote
Boom_Boom send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 16327
Location: South Carolina
#103
Posted: 6/16/2012 11:16:57 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by packers1992:

Boom its not showing up in the w/l column but imo Tx Tech upgraded in getting Tuberville. Leach was out of control with his mouth hes a buffoon and if you think he's winning big at wsh.state i'll sell you the bridge to nowhere
I absolutely dis agree.

Mike leach had Texas tech in the conversation of wining a big 12 title and staying in the top 10 ten every year. TT has completely destroyed what leach built.

Here are some numbers for ya... MR Tubberville was suppose to what in Lubbock???? Play better defense.


His first two years. Defensively Texas Tech

2010 - 30.9 points given up a game
2011 - 39.3 points given up a game


you want to know what leach was doing there along with that prolific offense???

2005 - 18.8 points given up a game
2006 - 25.1 points given up a game
2007 - 25.9 points given up a game
2008 - 27.8 points given up a game
2009 - 22.5 points given up a game

We wont even talk about the offense. We ALL know the offensive production has went down...WHY??? Because of the what? The Play caller


?????


TT is 13 -12 (52%) in his two year there.

Leach was 84 -44 ( 66% ) at his time there.


your right.... its not close



quote
Boom_Boom send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 16327
Location: South Carolina
#104
Posted: 6/16/2012 11:19:25 AM
and BTW.... Washington S.T will be turned around within two years.

By next year the Wazzu will make a bowl appearance. Right that garbage down and take it to the bank and tell that girl behind the counter your making a deposit.
quote
packers1992 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
packers1992
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 9774
Location: Michigan
#105
Posted: 6/16/2012 11:19:45 AM
boom if you want leach as the face of your university than god bless ya. Leach is a dog with fleas
quote
packers1992 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
packers1992
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 9774
Location: Michigan
#106
Posted: 6/16/2012 11:21:19 AM
boom his offense isn't revolutionary anymore what kid in his right mind would play for Mike Leach? Wow they'll make the Holiday Bowl
quote
Boom_Boom send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 16327
Location: South Carolina
#107
Posted: 6/16/2012 11:24:18 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by packers1992:

boom his offense isn't revolutionary anymore what kid in his right mind would play for Mike Leach? Wow they'll make the Holiday Bowl
Im not arguing about Mike leach here packers. If you cant see the guy is a great coach I cant do anything for ya.

BTW.... the Holiday bowl is step up for Washington s.t, you know since they have been regularly attending the sitathomeonyouass bowl

 
quote
packers1992 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
packers1992
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 9774
Location: Michigan
#108
Posted: 6/16/2012 11:26:48 AM
boom hes not a great coach. fine you'll go from 11th ina 12 team league to 7th whoop de freaking do
quote
Syracuse L.J. send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Syracuse L.J.
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 1153
Location: New York
#109
Posted: 6/16/2012 11:37:15 AM
Too bad Petrino couldn't keep his fingerprints where they belonged...it would've been nice to see Arky give Bama and LSU a run for their money.

I'll go back to the ACC for a second...and a couple comments on VT vs GT in week one...I like VT because they have the entire off season to focus their defense on that offense. VT is supposed to have an elite DL and I think they handle GT. I expect GT to show improvement in Groh's scheme but hate that Phil Steele rates GT's front 7 about the same as he ranks Duke's! Not sure if the total will be around 50 but I think I'd still take the under if the linesmaker wants to give us 48 to 50.

Tyler Bray: isn't he a meathead? He caused some problems in the locker room last year...last years' Tenn team quit. (A lot of teams get stuck with that "quitter" label but a lot of Vol's made comments after the season that show this team deserves "the Q word" - no offense, meant, Vols fans.) Anyway, in spring, Bray did call himself kind of dumb last year. He does talk about getting his act together but it's too easy to say in the off season. I'm  not going to buy it. Bray has a lot to prove before being mentioned the same class as Barkley.

BTW - Good info on Tyler Wilson, Boom,  I didn't know he felt pressure if teams can get to him early.
quote
gwjtf send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
gwjtf
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 478
Location: California
#110
Posted: 6/16/2012 12:06:20 PM
Boom - completely agree re: your write-up on Arkansas, when it's all said and done this year, they win 10 games IMO with a favorable schedule and all kinds of playmakers on the roster and if not the best, among the top 2 or 3 QBs in the SEC.  As you may be aware, John L. is a one year hire - period.  Brought in to offer some stability until Arkansas can do a proper national search for top flight coach, which they couldn't do with the timing of the Petrino departure (which despite his greatness as a coach, Arkansas did the right thing in firing him). Players like him, asst. coaches know him well as they worked with/for him before he went to Weber; and he won't mess with the offense this year - just let it be on cruise control and be a familiar, steadying influence.  I am an alum with many friends still in Fayetteville including with strong ties to the athletic dept - unless Hogs run the table and win it all - which ain't gonna happen - he is very much 'interim' for one season only.  

Now as for UA's next head coach -- Arkansas has some of the best facilities, University and fan support of any school anywhere -- and a lot of money thanks to Walmart, Tyson, and other alum/business support.  The Razorbacks are the only game in town for the whole state, so there is also nearly no instate competition for recruits.  If they don't hire Mahlzan (they should, he's a great coach, but its very political in Arkansas sports and he just took over Ark. State - they might person it up and pass on him)....Ark will pay its next coach over $3M/yr.  They have a lot of good things there and the program is a plum job - there will be no shortage of good applicants.

My hope? .... You mentioned him boom, and for good reason... the Pirate! :) Anyone who can consistently win 10 games a year in gawd awful Lubbock can win a freaking National Championship at Arkansas!! ... :)
quote
Boom_Boom send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 16327
Location: South Carolina
#111
Posted: 6/16/2012 12:13:59 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by Syracuse L.J.:

Too bad Petrino couldn't keep his fingerprints where they belonged...it would've been nice to see Arky give Bama and LSU a run for their money.

I'll go back to the ACC for a second...and a couple comments on VT vs GT in week one...I like VT because they have the entire off season to focus their defense on that offense. VT is supposed to have an elite DL and I think they handle GT. I expect GT to show improvement in Groh's scheme but hate that Phil Steele rates GT's front 7 about the same as he ranks Duke's! Not sure if the total will be around 50 but I think I'd still take the under if the linesmaker wants to give us 48 to 50.

Tyler Bray: isn't he a meathead? He caused some problems in the locker room last year...last years' Tenn team quit. (A lot of teams get stuck with that "quitter" label but a lot of Vol's made comments after the season that show this team deserves "the Q word" - no offense, meant, Vols fans.) Anyway, in spring, Bray did call himself kind of dumb last year. He does talk about getting his act together but it's too easy to say in the off season. I'm  not going to buy it. Bray has a lot to prove before being mentioned the same class as Barkley.

BTW - Good info on Tyler Wilson, Boom,  I didn't know he felt pressure if teams can get to him early.


good read as usual cuse. I dont dis agree with too much about the V.T G.T game. I think G.T wins, but thats my opinion. We could make good arguments all day long for either.

watch the LSU rerun. watch how Tyler starts to feel pressure thats not even there  Another good example was the Vandy game.... my scouting report really exposed Tyler in that game.


 
quote
Boom_Boom send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 16327
Location: South Carolina
#112
Posted: 6/16/2012 12:23:41 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by gwjtf:

Boom - completely agree re: your write-up on Arkansas, when it's all said and done this year, they win 10 games IMO with a favorable schedule and all kinds of playmakers on the roster and if not the best, among the top 2 or 3 QBs in the SEC.  As you may be aware, John L. is a one year hire - period.  Brought in to offer some stability until Arkansas can do a proper national search for top flight coach, which they couldn't do with the timing of the Petrino departure (which despite his greatness as a coach, Arkansas did the right thing in firing him). Players like him, asst. coaches know him well as they worked with/for him before he went to Weber; and he won't mess with the offense this year - just let it be on cruise control and be a familiar, steadying influence.  I am an alum with many friends still in Fayetteville including with strong ties to the athletic dept - unless Hogs run the table and win it all - which ain't gonna happen - he is very much 'interim' for one season only.  

Now as for UA's next head coach -- Arkansas has some of the best facilities, University and fan support of any school anywhere -- and a lot of money thanks to Walmart, Tyson, and other alum/business support.  The Razorbacks are the only game in town for the whole state, so there is also nearly no instate competition for recruits.  If they don't hire Mahlzan (they should, he's a great coach, but its very political in Arkansas sports and he just took over Ark. State - they might person it up and pass on him)....Ark will pay its next coach over $3M/yr.  They have a lot of good things there and the program is a plum job - there will be no shortage of good applicants.

My hope? .... You mentioned him boom, and for good reason... the Pirate! :) Anyone who can consistently win 10 games a year in gawd awful Lubbock can win a freaking National Championship at Arkansas!! ... :)


Were absolutely on the same page man

Great point about wining games in Lubbock Texas. I almost brought that point up.

Do people know how hard it is to recruit in Lubbock

Do people realize how hard it is to compete vs Texas and Oklahoma every year and which btw.... they were  Nobody in that league wanted anything to do with playing Texas Tech when leach was there......

ask any Big 12 guys around here. Train or sooner.... they will tell you that playing leach and that offense was nerve racking


If you are Texas Tech why would run off the man who put you on the map???

1) look at them now nobody is scared of Texas Tech anymore in that league.

2) one punk girl daddy's boy ruined that program. Go ahead and ask all the tech fans. These guys are pissed still about the Leach Firing.




    
quote
packers1992 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
packers1992
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 9774
Location: Michigan
#113
Posted: 6/16/2012 7:05:25 PM
of course tech fans are sad just like Leach they're foul mouth ogres and can't win the big 1You got Tommy Tuberville you upgraded
quote
packers1992 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
packers1992
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 9774
Location: Michigan
#114
Posted: 6/16/2012 7:07:41 PM
BTW boom west virginia just scored again i love ya man but you're wrong on leach. You will not change my opinion
quote
LonghornHoosier
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: Bellagio |
LonghornHoosier
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 3808
Location: Texas
#115
Posted: 6/16/2012 7:51:16 PM
Leach team's did not play D.   good teams like Texas and OU generally figured out his point a minute O and limited it as much as possible while scoring tons against his D.  you can't win consistently in the SEC without a strong D.   i think he is in the perfect place at WSU and I think he will have similar or better lt results.  i don't think he would be a lt fit at ark with their raised expectations.  all of the millinial online sports reports don't remember his fruitcake episodes at mich st.  ark will be nuts to offer this guy the perm job, unless he with the bcs nc...i think ark will have a respectable season, john l will continue the status quo started by petrino, and when they lose all of the o stars next year, they will start over...my bet manny diaz currently dc at my alma mater...he will make ark comp on D in the SEC and hire an innovative OC, mark my words...GLTA
quote
Boom_Boom send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 16327
Location: South Carolina
#116
Posted: 6/16/2012 8:59:34 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by packers1992:

BTW boom west virginia just scored again i love ya man but you're wrong on leach. You will not change my opinion
West Virginia just scored again? Really?

way to show your class

I dont have to change your mind about Mike Leach. You are free to feel or believe whatever you want. Hey man it's America, you have the right to be wrong.

Boom is just trying to help you. If you cant see and listen then there is nothing I can do for you. You know how I know this to be true? A long record of being right 
quote
Boom_Boom send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 16327
Location: South Carolina
#117
Posted: 6/17/2012 10:18:25 AM
Miss S.T - Dan Mullen's guys really struggled to live up to expectations last year. I think it had a lot to do with the fact they haven't had any in a long time. One of the biggest things that hurt them last year and I warned about this was the schedule. These guys played @Auburn and LSU after opening with Memphis. IMO, they were never the same team after Relf was stopped at the goal line on the last play of the game vs Auburn. Looking at this team this year I think we can expect some better results. Now does that mean competing for a SEC west? No. Thats not a knock on miss s.t, that's a knock on any team not named LSU, Alabama or Arkansas. I like some of the play makers on this team in Bumpis and Perkins. Both have a real quick burst and have deceptive speed. Tyler Russell IMO should have been the QB all along. He takes over this year but Mullen made a mistake in not letting him take over completely last season. The OL does lose some guys but I dont think they are hurt too much in that department considering this OL was hurt all year long anyways. Defensively I think they do take a step back a little. People dont realize but Miss s.t has played pretty decent Defense the last couple of seasons. really IMO this team biggest strength is the QB and receivers. If they can get on the same page and threaten opposing defenses then I think Mullen's power run spread attack will be very good. I think this offense has the ability to be better even tho they lose a bunch of guys from last years offense simply because of the QB. The ability to really attack the other teams secondary has really hurt this team. I think if you were to ask any Miss S.T guy in this forum like Corely or whoever they would agree. Overall the schedule is still tough. Why? They play in the SEC west. But I will say it is manageable, especially the first part of the season. The first tough game doesn't come until Tennessee rolls into town in October.  The second half is brutal in @ Bama, Texas A&M, @ LSU, Arkansas and @ Miss. Wow. That is a tough stretch of games. I know the Ole Miss doesn't sound tough, but considering it's the rival its all ways a tough game. I think we are probably looking at a 6 - 6 team and possibly a 7-5 team. I think they will be much better then there record will show.    







up next..........Texas A&M


quote
bigmoneyg send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetDSI |
bigmoneyg
Participation Meter
Prospect
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 60
Location:
#118
Posted: 6/17/2012 10:28:44 AM
Excellent work. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Posted using a mobile device.
quote
Boom_Boom send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 16327
Location: South Carolina
#119
Posted: 6/17/2012 10:29:50 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by LonghornHoosier:

Leach team's did not play D.   good teams like Texas and OU generally figured out his point a minute O and limited it as much as possible while scoring tons against his D.  you can't win consistently in the SEC without a strong D.   i think he is in the perfect place at WSU and I think he will have similar or better lt results.  i don't think he would be a lt fit at ark with their raised expectations.  all of the millinial online sports reports don't remember his fruitcake episodes at mich st.  ark will be nuts to offer this guy the perm job, unless he with the bcs nc...i think ark will have a respectable season, john l will continue the status quo started by petrino, and when they lose all of the o stars next year, they will start over...my bet manny diaz currently dc at my alma mater...he will make ark comp on D in the SEC and hire an innovative OC, mark my words...GLTA


They played a hell of a lot more then Tommy Tub's team have showed so far and facts will back that up.

You being a Texas guy answer me this.

When Leach was there did you guys not hate playing Texas Tech?

Is this current team under Tub's the past few years anywhere close to being a threat like Leach's teams?

Dont you feel that the other teams in the league are glad they dont have to see Texas Tech anymore with Leach being the coach?

and last but not least.......... Is TT heading up or down with Tub's? Ask that honestly. We know where they were headed with Leach and answer is not down.


quote
Corley1011 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
Corley1011
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 919
Location: Mississippi
#120
Posted: 6/17/2012 10:47:50 AM
Nice write up Boom...

One thing that really hurt MSU last year was injuries to the O-Line... They couldn't support to MSU's rushing attack, which forced Relf to try and become more of a passing QB... just didn't work out... However, the upside to all of that is the replacements on the O-Line last year become this year's starters... and with Russell at the helms, this year's offense will be a passing offense... 

MSU will upset someone this year
quote
thorpe send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
thorpe
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 9217
Location:
#121
Posted: 6/17/2012 11:02:34 AM
Leach had something like 10 straight winning seasons at T Tech.  That is very impressive.  His system may not be capable of winning vs the OK's and Texas's of the world, but nobody who coaches at T Tech is going to beat those teams consistently.

He is in a similar situation at Wash ST.  He probably won't beat Oregon and win the P12, but if he can win 8 games a year and beat Washington every other year, Wash St will love him.  Regardless, he is a better coach than what they've had since Price left town.

And the Holiday Bowl is a very respectable Bowl.  


quote
Boom_Boom send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 16327
Location: South Carolina
#122
Posted: 6/17/2012 11:37:55 AM
Corely - I agree completely about MSU being passing team first this season. The good thing about any coach is knowing there strengths. Mullen is a sharp guy and he understand that. I wouldn't be surprised to see them upset somebody, they have a solid group.


Thorpe - Good to see you pop in  Yeah man, I cant understand why people cant see that in leach. All the guy did is win in a place where wining didn't happen all that much. He will win in Wazzu. It might take a year or two but He will win. Some people might be socked to hear this, but I think Leach is without question one of the best offensive minds the college game has ever seen.


quote
packers1992 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
packers1992
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 9774
Location: Michigan
#123
Posted: 6/17/2012 12:38:02 PM
boom never once have i said he wasn't a great offensive mind. he's a horrible human being a foul mouthed buffoon who acts like an assclown if thats what you want in a coach god bless you . You can have Leach i'll take Tuberville and i'll beat you every time. Tuberville has come closer to a tirle than Leach could eve dream of. If i was a Washington State fan and they hired Leach i'd stop supporting the team. FYI i'm not a fan of any college team
quote
soonboomer send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
soonboomer
Participation Meter
Rookie
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 936
Location: Northern
              Mariana Islands
#124
Posted: 6/17/2012 1:46:06 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by packers1992:

boom never once have i said he wasn't a great offensive mind. he's a horrible human being a foul mouthed buffoon who acts like an assclown if thats what you want in a coach god bless you . You can have Leach i'll take Tuberville and i'll beat you every time. Tuberville has come closer to a tirle than Leach could eve dream of. If i was a Washington State fan and they hired Leach i'd stop supporting the team. FYI i'm not a fan of any college team

I had drinks with Leach a few times when he was at OU. Extremely intellectual, but a regular guy.  You couldn't be more wrong.
quote
Boom_Boom send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
Boom_Boom
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 16327
Location: South Carolina
#125
Posted: 6/17/2012 3:10:57 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by packers1992:

boom never once have i said he wasn't a great offensive mind. he's a horrible human being a foul mouthed buffoon who acts like an assclown if thats what you want in a coach god bless you . You can have Leach i'll take Tuberville and i'll beat you every time. Tuberville has come closer to a tirle than Leach could eve dream of. If i was a Washington State fan and they hired Leach i'd stop supporting the team. FYI i'm not a fan of any college team


?? What?? 2 things are now obvious.

1) You have never played the game before. How I know this? If you think that Leach is the only coach in the country with a foul mouth you are sadly mistaken......They all know those 4 letter words.

2)  IF you think that making a kid go sit in a room is harsh you really dont have a clue about how things are done on and off the field. Bear Bryant use to not give his players water.....Know why? He  said it made them week. I could go on and on about many different coaches but its doesn't really matter. Know why? Because if you think there is a world that Tub's is a better coach then leach....then we are not on the same page my friend.





soonboomer -
quote
Forum Index : College Football : Messages Page 5 of 14 «  3 4 5 6 7   »
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.