Posted: 2/19/2008 6:29:53 PM
Locked in a few. Really think I have the AL Central pegged:
Cleve Over 91-115. I usually fade a team that makes a huge jump as they did last year but consider this. they have 7 solid starting pitchers. CC, Fausto, Byrd, Westbrook, Laffe, Lee (bounceback year) and Sowers. They also own one of the best pitching prospects in baseball in Adam Miller who is ready to come up but must prove he can stay healthy. I hear he has no pain in his arm so if he makes it health wise that is like another #2 at the all-star break via call-up.
Over a 162 game bet, pitching deapth is huge. I can sustain an injury or two and I fully suspect Clev to make a move for a bat before the trade deadline and they have the ammo to go out and get somebody. Shiprio knows this is his year. He likely will lose CC at the end of the year as they won't resign him for Santana money and he already said they won't trade him so all the chips are already in the pot.
Other things I like about this pick:
1. CC is in a contract year. I expect him to come in extremely good shape and have a big year. He can't afford not to.
2. Pronk will have a much better year. He has too much natuaral power not to.
3. Caberera at 2b all year is a huge upgrade.
4. the Bullpen should be better. Hate picking up the option for JoeBo, as he was more lucky than good but they have 3 solid setup men in Lewis, and the Raffy Left and Raffy Right. Benincourt threw too many innings last year so that is a concern but he does have a rubber arm. They also added the Japanese pitcher who is supposed to be a solid middle inning guy as wll so they have plenty of options finally.
5. Grady Sizemore is officially in his prime. I expect him to be the best all-around player in baseball next year.