Messages

Forum Index : Food & Fitness : Messages Page 3 of 3  1 2 3  
Author: [Food & Fitness] Topic: Its not red meat that clogs yours arteries, its carbohydrates
sharpaction
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
sharpaction
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 12924
Location: Ontario
#51
Posted: 3/22/2012 5:16:51 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by TRAIN69:

Couple questions if you got time sharp.

What fruits should I avoid. I love apples and strawberries and putting blueberries and cherries in my protein shakes. Are there certain meats I should eat more than others (ie more chicken than beef or tuna) .Also, whats your take on oatmeal?

If I work out 1st thing in the morning, should I eat a small breakfast or just start working out? Will the body have to immediately go to its reserves since nothing new has been added in 12 or so hours? Also, I have found that if I do 10 minutes of high intenisty cardio followed by 10 minutes of weight lifting and repeating cycle I lose more weight than simply doing cardio for 30 minutes to warm up then lift weights and finish with cardio. Is there anything I could be doing different to lose more weight or speed up my metabolism?

Thanks sharp, enjoy reading your stuff.

I would definitely avoid dates as they are both high in fructose and glucose. Prunes, Raisins, Figs, Apples, Grapes, Cherries and Pears should be avoided or kept to a minimum because of the higher fructose content. I would also avoid Papaya as they are very high in sucrose. All berries are fine. Moderation is important with fruit so try and keep it at 1-2 servings a day. 

The main issue with fruit is the fructose. Fructose is much sweeter than glucose and is absorbed differently in the body than glucose, it is processed in the liver. When excess fructose enters the liver, the liver can't process it fast enough for the body to use as sugar so it starts making fats from the fructose. These fats enter the bloodstream as triglycerides. High triglycerides are a risk factor for heart disease. Too much fructose also interferes with appetite regulating hormones like leptin,  which can lead to a person feeling unsatisfied.

All meats are fine as long as they are not processed.  I would give priority to beef, pork, liver and chicken. The main problem with oats are the avenin and phytic acid. Phytic acid has the tendency to bind to minerals and prevent their absorption. Oatmeal is also high in carb content and has a the same glycemic index as Coke. Overall steel cut oats are better than wheat because they contain more nutrients. Stay away from the ones which have sugar and preservatives.     

I always go for my morning run without eating anything because its easier on my stomach, I just drink water. If your body can handle a meal pre-workout then there is nothing wrong with that. When you fast for 12 hours you have not eaten but your body is eating. It is consuming  fat from your fat stores in order to give you the energy you need to function. The body can be trained to burn fat faster and more efficiently.

 If you want to lose more weight than concentrate on your diet, don't worry about the exercise too much. If you are eating right then stay away from calorie counting. When exercising your body will require more fuel so don't deprive it by trying to eat less, just eat the right foods and fill up. To keep your metabolism efficient, cut down on your carbohydrate intake. Too much carbohydrate affects the thyroid because our body will have trouble converting  thyroid hormone T4 into the T3 thus leading to a slower metabolism. 
    
quote
TRAIN69
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetOnline.ag |
TRAIN69
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 36282
Location: Missouri
#52
Posted: 3/22/2012 6:02:46 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by sharpaction:


I would definitely avoid dates as they are both high in fructose and glucose. Prunes, Raisins, Figs, Apples, Grapes, Cherries and Pears should be avoided or kept to a minimum because of the higher fructose content. I would also avoid Papaya as they are very high in sucrose. All berries are fine. Moderation is important with fruit so try and keep it at 1-2 servings a day. 

The main issue with fruit is the fructose. Fructose is much sweeter than glucose and is absorbed differently in the body than glucose, it is processed in the liver. When excess fructose enters the liver, the liver can't process it fast enough for the body to use as sugar so it starts making fats from the fructose. These fats enter the bloodstream as triglycerides. High triglycerides are a risk factor for heart disease. Too much fructose also interferes with appetite regulating hormones like leptin,  which can lead to a person feeling unsatisfied.

All meats are fine as long as they are not processed.  I would give priority to beef, pork, liver and chicken. The main problem with oats are the avenin and phytic acid. Phytic acid has the tendency to bind to minerals and prevent their absorption. Oatmeal is also high in carb content and has a the same glycemic index as Coke. Overall steel cut oats are better than wheat because they contain more nutrients. Stay away from the ones which have sugar and preservatives.     

I always go for my morning run without eating anything because its easier on my stomach, I just drink water. If your body can handle a meal pre-workout then there is nothing wrong with that. When you fast for 12 hours you have not eaten but your body is eating. It is consuming  fat from your fat stores in order to give you the energy you need to function. The body can be trained to burn fat faster and more efficiently.

 If you want to lose more weight than concentrate on your diet, don't worry about the exercise too much. If you are eating right then stay away from calorie counting. When exercising your body will require more fuel so don't deprive it by trying to eat less, just eat the right foods and fill up. To keep your metabolism efficient, cut down on your carbohydrate intake. Too much carbohydrate affects the thyroid because our body will have trouble converting  thyroid hormone T4 into the T3 thus leading to a slower metabolism. 
    

Thanks for the response, great read.

Wanted your opinion on 3 more things: eggs, tuna and nuts. Also, when you say unprocessed, what exactly do you mean. Obviously lunch meat and canned meat has preservatives, but other than butchering my own livestock I dont know where to get untouched meat products.

What do your daily meals consists of if you have the time to answer, and what are on your "must eat" list.

quote
cd329 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
cd329
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 18250
Location: United States
#53
Posted: 3/22/2012 11:14:14 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by sharpaction:

 

Your HDL is too low and triglycerides too high. You need to get off the lipitor , that stuff is terrible for you. I don't think its doing any good. All it is doing is lowering your total cholesterol which has no benefit. What types of food make up your regular diet ? Have you tried a ketogenic diet ?


No i havent even heard of that diet. Gonna look it up now.
The pasta, bread and potatoes are just killing me. I think i have been eating pasta since birth, lollllllllll.
Thanks for the info Sharp
quote
sharpaction
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
sharpaction
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 12924
Location: Ontario
#54
Posted: 3/23/2012 12:13:55 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by ClubDirt:



when you think about years and years of evolution and how humans ate for optimal energy and health to get to where we are today, today's recommendations are nuts.  we are going backwards. 

as for the artificially lowfat products, i bet if you asked 100 random people, well over half would disagree with this:  The low fat versions of these products are worse than the original.

and it's more than just a weight issue.  if you take a food item that has a natural fat content and remove the fat, they have to put something artificial in to replace the fat.  why would we assume some artificial, engineered product is better for us than the fat that is naturally in the food.

i thought about this the other day.  i take my kids to get a treat when they do well in school.  usually that means frozen yogurt.  but that's all advertised as fat free.  dessert isn't healthy but i'll go with my kids every now and then.  i assume we're better off just going straight for the ice cream rather than messing around with fat free frozen yogurt made out of who knows what.

For the kids just go for straight ice cream. It is healthier and tastes better than frozen yougurt.
quote
sharpaction
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
sharpaction
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 12924
Location: Ontario
#55
Posted: 3/23/2012 1:19:15 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by TRAIN69:

Thanks for the response, great read.

Wanted your opinion on 3 more things: eggs, tuna and nuts. Also, when you say unprocessed, what exactly do you mean. Obviously lunch meat and canned meat has preservatives, but other than butchering my own livestock I dont know where to get untouched meat products.

What do your daily meals consists of if you have the time to answer, and what are on your "must eat" list.




Eggs are one of the most nutrients dense foods, eat as many as you wish. Tuna is fine as long as its not in a can. Salmon and Mackerel are good choices too because of the higher fat content.
Nuts are fine, they make a great snack and contain nutrients. Certain nuts contain high amounts of omega 6 so you want to eat those in moderation. These include walnuts, pine nuts, brazil nuts and pecans.

Its hard to find untouched meat these days unless you own a farm. You can go to a local farm if there is one in your area and buy fresh meat, although it will be significantly more expensive. You may be able to bargain down if you are buying large quantities. I usually buy my meat from the local grocery store. Sometimes I buy grass fed, sometimes grain fed. Grass fed is significantly more expensive. Both are fine and are nutritionally very similar. I prefer grain fed because it is fattier and juicier as opposed to grass fed which more lean and gamey-tasting.

I usually eat only two large meals a day because my meals are fatty so I remain satiated for long periods. Ground beef and fatty steaks such as rib eye are the most consumed food in my diet. I also eat eggs, avocados, cheese, fruit- which consists mostly of  berries, chicken, fish, liver, sprouts, spinach, kale, collards, broccoli, artichokes, and tomatoes and fresh cream. I drink water with all of my meals. If I feel like a snack it is usually berries, macadamia nuts, cashews or hazelnuts. 
quote
TRAIN69
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetOnline.ag |
TRAIN69
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 36282
Location: Missouri
#56
Posted: 3/23/2012 10:09:58 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by sharpaction:




Eggs are one of the most nutrients dense foods, eat as many as you wish. Tuna is fine as long as its not in a can. Salmon and Mackerel are good choices too because of the higher fat content.
Nuts are fine, they make a great snack and contain nutrients. Certain nuts contain high amounts of omega 6 so you want to eat those in moderation. These include walnuts, pine nuts, brazil nuts and pecans.

Its hard to find untouched meat these days unless you own a farm. You can go to a local farm if there is one in your area and buy fresh meat, although it will be significantly more expensive. You may be able to bargain down if you are buying large quantities. I usually buy my meat from the local grocery store. Sometimes I buy grass fed, sometimes grain fed. Grass fed is significantly more expensive. Both are fine and are nutritionally very similar. I prefer grain fed because it is fattier and juicier as opposed to grass fed which more lean and gamey-tasting.

I usually eat only two large meals a day because my meals are fatty so I remain satiated for long periods. Ground beef and fatty steaks such as rib eye are the most consumed food in my diet. I also eat eggs, avocados, cheese, fruit- which consists mostly of  berries, chicken, fish, liver, sprouts, spinach, kale, collards, broccoli, artichokes, and tomatoes and fresh cream. I drink water with all of my meals. If I feel like a snack it is usually berries, macadamia nuts, cashews or hazelnuts. 


Once again, thanks for the response.

More questions if you have the time.......

I notice you didnt list almonds on your nut list, any reason? Is tuna in the pouches ok, and why not in the can? What do you think of diet green tea? Is most cheese ok, or are there ones to avoid? Lastly, what do you think of fasting, either 1 day a week or 1 day a month? Any positives or drawbacks?


Sharp
quote
ClubDirt send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
ClubDirt
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 20375
Location: United States
#57
Posted: 3/23/2012 10:21:37 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by sharpaction:


For the kids just go for straight ice cream. It is healthier and tastes better than frozen yougurt.


i agree, seems like i should have figured that out by now. 
quote
ClubDirt send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
ClubDirt
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 20375
Location: United States
#58
Posted: 3/23/2012 10:27:48 AM
train, i think nuts are probably the key to my diet.  not necessarily because they are healthier than the other things sharp mentioned but because of their snack potential.  they are so easy to take anywhere and really fill you up.  i think a lot of screw up with snacks. in between meals, people will grab some chips or guy or pretzels or lowfat yogurt or any number of things they bombard you with on tv and in the grocery store.  it's just as easy and so much better to eat nuts then instead.  as for almonds, i eat them every day.  i suspect sharp approves of them.  although your better off with plain or just regularly salted almonds than the flavored kind with artificial ingredients.

what is this diet green tea you speak of?  i drink green, red, black, white tea almost daily.  none of it is diet; it's all real tea.  if you are talking about the kind you buy pre-made out of a bottle, i'd stay far away.  there's probably a small amount of real green tea in there and then a lot of other strange ingredients you don't want anything to do with.
quote
squinta1 send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
squinta1
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 6388
Location: Massachusetts
#59
Posted: 3/23/2012 12:55:30 PM
this thread........sharp
quote
TRAIN69
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetOnline.ag |
TRAIN69
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 36282
Location: Missouri
#60
Posted: 3/23/2012 5:01:06 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by TRAIN69:



Once again, thanks for the response.

More questions if you have the time.......

I notice you didnt list almonds on your nut list, any reason? Is tuna in the pouches ok, and why not in the can? What do you think of diet green tea? Is most cheese ok, or are there ones to avoid? Lastly, what do you think of fasting, either 1 day a week or 1 day a month? Any positives or drawbacks?


Sharp

In addition to those questions, what vitamins do you recommend taking? Is a multi good enough, or are their individual ones I should be taking. Is fish oil really that beneficial?

quote
sharpaction
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
sharpaction
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 12924
Location: Ontario
#61
Posted: 3/24/2012 2:07:04 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by TRAIN69:

In addition to those questions, what vitamins do you recommend taking? Is a multi good enough, or are their individual ones I should be taking. Is fish oil really that beneficial?


Almonds are fine, they make a great snack, just eat them in moderation, 1/4 cup contains about 4.5 grams of omega 6 which is a moderate amount for nuts. 

Tuna in general is high in mercury and selenium. Too much selenium is toxic for the body and leads to unpleasant symptoms. Since it is a predatory fish it tends to accumulate heavy metals which are in the food chain. I myself enjoy eating tuna steaks 2-3 times a month so I am selective when buying it. In terms of fresh or frozen tuna I choose pole-caught tuna over longline-caught tuna because it contains less mercury and selenium. Yellowfin contains less mercury than albacore. On average Atlantic Tuna seems to have more mercury than Pacific Tuna.  Tuna in a can or pouch is okay just make sure you are buying canned light as opposed to canned white, canned light has less mercury in it.

All teas are fine, just make sure they are real have no additives.

The good thing about cheese is that after it is made, very little lactose remains in it. This obviously is good for people with lactose intolerance. The less lactose a cheese has also correlates to less carbohydrates which is good. The longer a cheese is aged the less lactose it will have. I like eating aged cheese with my eggs for breakfast and sometimes when I am eating berries I will have a few small slices. Avoid cheese that is processed like the ones that come in bags like single slices, shredded cheese, cheese-whiz or cheese sauce. Although it is rare, people who are allergic to casein should avoid cheese.

I don't believe in fasting. My take on it is that you eat when you are hungry and body will let you know when it needs fuel. Fasting does not help with weight loss because when the body is not receiving nourishment it will counter by slowing down its metabolism, this is why starvation fails to work as a weight loss tool.

I don't take a multi-vitamin myself because I believe in eating a good diet. Problem I have with them is absorption, most tend to have poor absorption rates by the body. Look for multi-vitamins which are fresh on the shelf and not sitting there for months. You can also find one with enzymes in it to improve absorption. Capsules contain binders which can also interfere with absorption. Light and air can also affect the potency of a vitamin so make sure the container is sealed underneath the regular bottle cap. No need to take individual vitamins unless you have a deficiency. Fish-oil is a good supplement to take. It helps with the omega 3 /omega 6 balance. Other benefits can include better vision, less inflammation, lower heart disease risk.  

 




quote
TRAIN69
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetOnline.ag |
TRAIN69
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 36282
Location: Missouri
#62
Posted: 3/24/2012 4:28:42 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by sharpaction:


Almonds are fine, they make a great snack, just eat them in moderation, 1/4 cup contains about 4.5 grams of omega 6 which is a moderate amount for nuts. 

Tuna in general is high in mercury and selenium. Too much selenium is toxic for the body and leads to unpleasant symptoms. Since it is a predatory fish it tends to accumulate heavy metals which are in the food chain. I myself enjoy eating tuna steaks 2-3 times a month so I am selective when buying it. In terms of fresh or frozen tuna I choose pole-caught tuna over longline-caught tuna because it contains less mercury and selenium. Yellowfin contains less mercury than albacore. On average Atlantic Tuna seems to have more mercury than Pacific Tuna.  Tuna in a can or pouch is okay just make sure you are buying canned light as opposed to canned white, canned light has less mercury in it.

All teas are fine, just make sure they are real have no additives.

The good thing about cheese is that after it is made, very little lactose remains in it. This obviously is good for people with lactose intolerance. The less lactose a cheese has also correlates to less carbohydrates which is good. The longer a cheese is aged the less lactose it will have. I like eating aged cheese with my eggs for breakfast and sometimes when I am eating berries I will have a few small slices. Avoid cheese that is processed like the ones that come in bags like single slices, shredded cheese, cheese-whiz or cheese sauce. Although it is rare, people who are allergic to casein should avoid cheese.

I don't believe in fasting. My take on it is that you eat when you are hungry and body will let you know when it needs fuel. Fasting does not help with weight loss because when the body is not receiving nourishment it will counter by slowing down its metabolism, this is why starvation fails to work as a weight loss tool.

I don't take a multi-vitamin myself because I believe in eating a good diet. Problem I have with them is absorption, most tend to have poor absorption rates by the body. Look for multi-vitamins which are fresh on the shelf and not sitting there for months. You can also find one with enzymes in it to improve absorption. Capsules contain binders which can also interfere with absorption. Light and air can also affect the potency of a vitamin so make sure the container is sealed underneath the regular bottle cap. No need to take individual vitamins unless you have a deficiency. Fish-oil is a good supplement to take. It helps with the omega 3 /omega 6 balance. Other benefits can include better vision, less inflammation, lower heart disease risk.  

 






Awesome read.


I tend to get leg cramps when I workout and cut the carbs. Is that from lack of potassium? Would a supplement a couple times a week help? Any workout/exercise tips?

Thanks Sharp
quote
TRAIN69
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BetOnline.ag |
TRAIN69
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 36282
Location: Missouri
#63
Posted: 3/25/2012 7:58:28 PM
What do you think of turkey and venison? My dad usually gives me several sticks of summer sausage very year. As for breakfast sausage, what do you recommend. I know you said stay away from processed meat, but this would be a once a week thing for something different.

Thanks again sharp.
quote
sharpaction
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
sharpaction
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 12924
Location: Ontario
#64
Posted: 3/25/2012 11:11:51 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by TRAIN69:

What do you think of turkey and venison? My dad usually gives me several sticks of summer sausage very year. As for breakfast sausage, what do you recommend. I know you said stay away from processed meat, but this would be a once a week thing for something different.


Thanks again sharp.

The cramping you are experiencing is most likely from lack of potassium or magnesium. You can definitely supplement or try eating more avocado's or sweet potatoes, or drink coconut water. Sodium bicarbonate alone can also help with cramps. Right after a workout your blood vessels are dilated and the blood is pumping fast in your muscles, so drink a protein shake immediately after your workout to stimulate muscle repair.  

Try this mixture pre-workout or during your workout :
8 ounces of water
one teaspoon of molasses for magnesium
a fat pinch of sodium bicarbonate 
about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of pink salt with trace minerals.
Stir and let it sit a minute, drink


Turkey and Venison are fine to eat from a health perspective. I don't eat turkey because its too dry for me but I don't mind deer meat. Eating sausages occasionally is fine, its better than eating toast, waffles or pancakes for breakfast. I don't buy grocery store sausages. If you enjoy sausages then I would recommend making them at home, it doesen't take long and is fairly simple, you just need a meat grinder. 
quote
depbmoc
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
depbmoc
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 11525
Location: Indiana
#65
Posted: 3/26/2012 9:49:54 PM

cd 329 here is one way to look at cholesterol

0nly 10-20 % of cholesterol in tyour blood is from intake (eating)

80-90 % of cholesterol in your blood is made in the liver by turning carbohydrates (carbs, sugars) into cholesterol

your body does 3 things with carbs (sugars)

1. burn for energy durin physical energy

2. store as glycogen to be readily available

3. produce cholsterol and other fats for storage

i believ reducing simple carbs such as starch and sugar is essential to  a heart healthy regimen.

sugars

potaotoes

white flour

milk

the four whites if you will, are full of simple carbs . notice i did not say dairy.cheese cream, cottage cheese  are not bad choices but drinking alot of milk is not good for an adult male at all .i reccommend reading the south beach diet book as a first read. the author is a cardiologist and the bookis easy to understand and very  useful .

quote
cd329 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
cd329
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 18250
Location: United States
#66
Posted: 3/28/2012 1:28:20 AM
Hey Sharp,
 I have type 2 diabetes and take 2 meds for it. I have also tried cutting back and eliminating a bunch of bad things, but still cant get it lowered.
Is going on insulin a bad thing, until i at least get the numbers down.
Man i have spent so much cash on all the so called natural things to help diabetes, but still no luck.
thanks
quote
sharpaction
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
sharpaction
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 12924
Location: Ontario
#67
Posted: 3/28/2012 1:26:50 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by cd329:

Hey Sharp,
 I have type 2 diabetes and take 2 meds for it. I have also tried cutting back and eliminating a bunch of bad things, but still cant get it lowered.
Is going on insulin a bad thing, until i at least get the numbers down.
Man i have spent so much cash on all the so called natural things to help diabetes, but still no luck.
thanks

Don't waste your money on all those "natural cures", there are no quick fixes. If you need to stay on insulin and meds in order to bring the numbers down short term then do so, but those should not be though of as long term solutions. Remember that insulin is one of the regulators of fat metabolism so you don't want to be on it for too long.  

I have two pieces of advice for you. The first is to exercise because it really helps improve insulin sensitivity since muscles burn your stored glycogen as fuel after and during workouts. Exercised muscles want glucose and will "up regulate " insulin receptors to speed up the process. Exercise will really help in regaining insulin sensitivity. When you become insulin sensitive again, you don't require as much to store the excess so your body will burn its stored fats at a higher rate throughout the day. Also nutrients and amino acids will have access to the cells which will help you lose weight and build muscle.  Do a mix of aerobic and resistance training.

The second thing is lowering carbohydrates. All carbohydrates are eventually converted to glucose either immediately or after going through the liver. Glucose is toxic in excess amounts for our bodies. The refined carbs and sugars need to be eliminated because they cause the quickest and highest rise in blood sugar.  Fresh meat and non starchy vegetables should be the most consumed foods in your diet. When you want a snack eat nuts or have a little bit of fruit.

If you have the discipline to make these lifestyle changes then you will have a good chance of not needing insulin or any medication. Keep me updated on how things are going. 

    
quote
cd329 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
cd329
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 18250
Location: United States
#68
Posted: 3/29/2012 12:43:28 AM
Sharp, thank you for the info. I must have spent like 300 bucks last month, buying every type of supplement that they say reduces your sugar level and nothing has worked.

My blood sugar level has dropped below 225 in weeks now. even when i wake up, its over 200.  I thought the meter was broke until i tested the wifes and hers was perfect.  I see my doctor tomorrow, gonna finally give into the shots, i think even if its just short term like you said. Yup i got to get off the computer and start getting more exercise. Thats what retirement does to, makes you become inactive. Thanks for the advice
cd
quote
cd329 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
cd329
Participation Meter
MVP
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 18250
Location: United States
#69
Posted: 3/29/2012 12:44:24 AM
Depbmoc, thanks for all the good info on the cholesterol
cd
quote
depbmoc
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook |
depbmoc
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 11525
Location: Indiana
#70
Posted: 3/30/2012 8:56:03 AM
good luck cd 
definitely get a good internist preferably a diabetolgist or endocrinologist and follow their advice completely. diabetes mellitus is a very serious problem that often shortens life span significantly 
sharp action is dead on on exercise and low carbs , especially simple carbs (sugar and simple starch)

try to cut out all sweets, pasta , rice, breads,potatoes and milk buddy 
eat beans and lentils in moderation, nuts for snacks , limit fruit as it is high in sugars especially grapes and bananas 
for potassium eat spinach 

get the south beach book and read it man 
quote
Forum Index : Food & Fitness : Messages Page 3 of 3  1 2 3  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.