|I'm gonna try something a little different this week. Maybe we can do a thread per tournament for general discussion about the actual golf tournament that's going on, and keep the BS that doesn't make us any money in the picks threads. So, I'll get it started:
Posted: 3/26/2012 10:01:09 PM
1) Length - I think there's a little more opportunity for the bombers to take advantage than we've had in a lot of the recent tourneys.
2) Get Low - one thing I take a quick look at on tourneys like this is just taking a quick look to see how many times recently someone has gotten to double digits. I think you lose that with looking at scoring average, and adjusted average, etc. Last year Phil took this one deep into double digits, so I want somebody comfortable getting that low.
3) Who will be playing to win the Houston Open v. who will be using the Houston Open to work on that final tweak for the masters? Who likes to play "swing" v. who likes to play "golf"?
4) Scrambling from the rough - this course ranks among the toughest.
5) par 5 performance
A couple guys I have my eyes on (and will show up in Danchuck's contest thread) are:
1) Badds - has the length, scrambling, par 5 performance, and a good history here
2) Stanley - definitely has the length and par 5 performance and has a 1st and 2nd in two of the lower scoring tournaments of the year (not counting the 2 pro-ams).
One guy that continues to baffle me is Els. I watch him putt and I swear he misses the line more often and by more than anyone else that gets televised. I see that and I just want to insta-fade. But somehow, he was among the leaders last week in SGP, at least before Sunday, I'm not sure where he ended up and he just keeps getting high up on the leaderboards. He's been playing under a lot of pressure for a lot of weeks now, and has had some very disappointing sundays each of the last 2 weeks. It wouldn't surprise me at all if all that gets to be just too much and he comes out and lays a total egg this week.