Messages

Forum Index : Politics : Messages Page 3 of 3  1 2 3  
Author: [Politics] Topic: The media walkbacks in the Trayvon Martin shooting case are piling up
depeche2 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
depeche2
Participation Meter
Legend
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 67006
Location: Illinois
#51
Posted: 4/2/2012 7:32:04 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by bowlslit:

This guy can't let go of his version for garbage.

If Zimmerman had the gun pointed at him then he would have said somthing to his girlfriend on the phone like- 'hes got a gun pointed at me, call the cops quick'. click.

 



The call was dropped well before he was shot, apparently when the fight started.  He probably didn't brandish the gun until the last several seconds, well after the call was dropped.
quote
bowlslit send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
bowlslit
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4120
Location: Greece
#52
Posted: 4/2/2012 7:38:01 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by depeche2:



The call was dropped well before he was shot, apparently when the fight started.  He probably didn't brandish the gun until the last several seconds, well after the call was dropped.

I disagree, his girfriend said she heard the scuffling right before the phone went dead. The whole incident lasted likely less than 15 seconds.

quote
cashin
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
cashin
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 12514
Location:
#53
Posted: 4/2/2012 7:38:07 PM

My guess is he'll be charged & by the time all the evidence & witnesses are sorted out, it will look bad for Z & he'll take a lesser plea. Only thing good about all the furor is that it made 'em thoroughly investigate it...

quote
rick3117 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
rick3117
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14251
Location:
#54
Posted: 4/2/2012 7:41:26 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by djbrow:

Explore 18 USC 922(g). It will probably make your blood boil though.
It is the most charged federal crime.


Exploring. 
Boiling.
Sorry I asked. 

Now I have to know this exists. 
quote
rick3117 send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
rick3117
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 14251
Location:
#55
Posted: 4/2/2012 7:47:37 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by cashin:

My guess is he'll be charged & by the time all the evidence & witnesses are sorted out, it will look bad for Z & he'll take a lesser plea. Only thing good about all the furor is that it made 'em thoroughly investigate it...


No chance this guy pleas. If he goes to court at all. 

Not with all of the media coverage,  he is going to walk. Just like every other highly publicized case on earth. Where the burden of proof falls on the accuser, and there is simply not enough evidence,  the shadow of a doubt looms large under the scrutiny of an entire nation. 

I do not know much about a wrongful death suit (paging Dj)


quote
bowlslit send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
bowlslit
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4120
Location: Greece
#56
Posted: 4/2/2012 7:53:52 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by rick3117:


No chance this guy pleas. If he goes to court at all. 

Not with all of the media coverage,  he is going to walk. Just like every other highly publicized case on earth. Where the burden of proof falls on the accuser, and there is simply not enough evidence,  the shadow of a doubt looms large under the scrutiny of an entire nation. 

I do not know much about a wrongful death suit (paging Dj)


According to Florida Statute 776.032 :

Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.— 776.032

A person who uses force as permitted in s. (1) 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.

A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful. (2)

 

quote
cashin
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
cashin
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 12514
Location:
#57
Posted: 4/2/2012 7:54:07 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by bowlslit:

This guy can't let go of his version for garbage.

If Zimmerman had the gun pointed at him then he would have said somthing to his girlfriend on the phone like- 'hes got a gun pointed at me, call the cops quick'. click.

 

Except I didn't say that Z had the gun pointed at him at that point.

Just that all the elements & factors from beginning to end (including the history & what is known about both guys) make me totally disbelieve Z's account of how this happened.

quote
djbrow
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: BookMaker |
djbrow
Participation Meter
Covers Linesmen
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 13508
Location: United States
#58
Posted: 4/2/2012 7:56:38 PM
Absent the most compelling evidence coming to light, no way an attorney advises him to plea. Take a chance with a jury and further, avoid the onset of a civil suit that would arise from a plea.
Posted using a mobile device.
quote
bowlslit send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
bowlslit
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4120
Location: Greece
#59
Posted: 4/2/2012 8:26:49 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by cashin:

Except I didn't say that Z had the gun pointed at him at that point.

Just that all the elements & factors from beginning to end (including the history & what is known about both guys) make me totally disbelieve Z's account of how this happened.

You disbelieve Z's story even though no other scenario makes sense.

Z likely fired the gun within miliseconds of pointing the gun at him.

The pteridactyl story did sound quite convincing though.

quote
SarasotaSlim send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
SarasotaSlim
Participation Meter
Hall of Fame
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 21589
Location: United States
#60
Posted: 4/2/2012 8:52:04 PM

Here's the part I have trouble with ......

Since Trayvon Martin's body was found by one account..60/70 ft. from the backdoor of Brandy Geene's (the juvenile detention officer ) townhouse..

How could Trayvon sneak-up on Zimmerman.. if Zimmerman was returning to his vechicle ..Zimmerman told dispatchers the person he spotted was coming toward him...

quote
cashin
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
cashin
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 12514
Location:
#61
Posted: 4/2/2012 8:59:20 PM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by djbrow:

Absent the most compelling evidence coming to light, no way an attorney advises him to plea. Take a chance with a jury and further, avoid the onset of a civil suit that would arise from a plea.

 

In most cases like this I'd agree, but here I think it would probably depend on the actual charge that was brought & how well the defense team thought Z's credibility would hold up in court. Two key factors beyond the severity of the injuries would be how credible/believable the girlfriend is thought to be about their call & how strong the voice experts testimony (saying it is not Z's voice) would be since the dead can really only speak thru forensics & that would probably be admissable. If believed by the jury, both would show Zimmerman to have lied in both instances which would blow his credibility to hell - 

quote
cashin
RSI Wagerline RSI Rating
send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
cashin
Participation Meter
All-Star
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 12514
Location:
#62
Posted: 4/2/2012 9:03:55 PM
QUOTE Originally Posted by bowlslit:

You disbelieve Z's story even though no other scenario makes sense.

Z likely fired the gun within miliseconds of pointing the gun at him.

The pteridactyl story did sound quite convincing though.

Actually, of the ones I've heard (except for the bird, lol) his is the least believable if logic & common sense are taken into account -

quote
bowlslit send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook | My Sportsbook: 5Dimes |
bowlslit
Participation Meter
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4120
Location: Greece
#63
Posted: 4/3/2012 1:39:51 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by cashin:

Actually, of the ones I've heard (except for the bird, lol) his is the least believable if logic & common sense are taken into account -

oh cashin, tsk tsk tsk. I think even Al Sharpton is starting to cave after seeing the latest enhanced video from the police station.

I'm flabbergasted at the whole manner in which you look at this.

quote
14daroad send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
14daroad
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 9261
Location: Virginia
#64
Posted: 4/3/2012 8:39:06 AM
QUOTE Originally Posted by cashin:

Where were these big bandages on the nose & head just 30-45 minutes later at the police station where the video shows no serious or discernable injuries?

 

Dude, you're like 2 days late to the party.

You might want to read the links provided and get back to us.

quote
14daroad send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
14daroad
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 9261
Location: Virginia
#65
Posted: 4/3/2012 8:45:25 AM
QUOTE

Originally Posted by depeche2:



Well that will be interesting to see if that can be established.  I would assume there are some audio recordings of Trayvon that can be found.  Maybe some voicemails or something that can be compared.  Doesn't sound like that has been analyzed yet, but hopefully it can be.

Depeche,

in order for a voice analysis to have any validity, the "matched" voice would have to have the same pitch as it is being compared to. From the guy who was in the Orlando paper:

The speech must be the same as the speech on the evidence in order for the testing to be accurate. As an audio forensic expert, I often have to coach the accused into the same energetic voice tone and inflection as the evidence recording.

It isn't going to happen.

quote
14daroad send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
14daroad
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 9261
Location: Virginia
#66
Posted: 4/3/2012 8:46:37 AM

his record & history, this guy should not only never been a watchman, he definitely shouldn't have had a gun permit -

What "record" would that be?

Do you understand the background check that goes into the FL CCW permitting system?

 

quote
14daroad send a private message View Space | Blog | Friends | Playbook |
14daroad
Participation Meter
Captain
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 9261
Location: Virginia
#67
Posted: 4/3/2012 8:50:18 AM

Tray is screaming to get someone's attention because he fears he is about to be shot.

=====================

Ok, so why then isn't he saying the words "gun" anywhere?


quote
Forum Index : Politics : Messages Page 3 of 3  1 2 3  
You have entered the forum as a GUEST. 
You must login/register to post or reply.