First Prev Next Last

Goggles-Pisano

Heading to Yellowstone in late September and looking for any off the beaten path things to do. Might hike up Brunson and possibly Lamar if i can figure out where to hike. 

The gf and i will do some hiking but strictly day trips as we are staying in hotels and not camping. Flying into Bozeman and out of Jackson Hole 8 days later. Staying in Bozeman the first night as we get in late then 1 day at Old Faithful and then Mammouth. 2 days at Canyon are up next. The remaining time is still being developed probably heading to the Grand Tetons and lastly Jackson Hole.

Slobbasaurus

Sounds like fun!  Have a great time.  

StumpTownStu

Sounds great. I'm more of a Sierra and Cascades guy but I hope to spend some time hiking/climbing in the Tetons and the Rockies myself in the near future.

ChOdaZ

If you can swing it I recommend driving the 1.5 hours or so to the Wind Rivers.  Hands down my favorite mountain range in the states. Green River Lakes is absolutely gorgeous and the hike around the lakes is excellent.  Might be pushing what you can do in one day but well worth it.  Could always spend a night in Pinedale where you can easily access some good hiking.

Have Fun! I am jealous

vanzack

Did the same trip last summer.  Almost exactly.  Flew to Bozeman, stayed the first night on the north entrance of Yellowstone, and then down to Jackson Hole.  Drove on to Denver from there.

Hotels in Yellowstone are pretty much terrible.  It is basically an expense ratio of X5.  In the normal world, a 50 dollar hotel is equal to a 250 dollar hotel at Yellowstone.  It really is a disgrace that our showpiece national park doesnt do anything about the cost and quality of the hotels there - foreign visitors must go away with a feeling of "the park is awesome, but the hotels...."

You really cant go wrong in Yellowstone or Grand Tetons.  There is so much to see, you could spend months.

Jackson Hole is a nice town - very quaint - but really a ski town for the rich.  Not much there to do other than walk around.  But not a bad place to be either.

GL with your trip, it is one of the best trips I have ever taken.

bigvern1013

Yellowstone is really something to see, have a great trip.

Just don't be stupid around the buffalo/elk/bears. Seems like every year someone earns a Darwin award in Yellowstone or Glacier getting cute with the animals.

vanzack

[Quote: Originally Posted by bigvern1013]

Yellowstone is really something to see, have a great trip.

Just don't be stupid around the buffalo/elk/bears. Seems like every year someone earns a Darwin award in Yellowstone or Glacier getting cute with the animals.

[/Quote]

Not only the animals, but the thermal springs too.

People dont realize that these BOILING pools of water look like they have a definite edge, like a beach or something - but the top layer is like an inch thick and breaks with any kind of weight and you are boiling alive.

Happens every year.

There are literally thousands of ways to die in Yellowstone, and people do every year.

Goggles-Pisano

Chodaz - Green River looks sweet, it's just to far out of the way. Plenty to see in yellowstone and the tetons.
Stump - Climbing is no longer in my vocabulary. Taking easy to moderate hikes as this zero elevation old man will have enough trouble with the thin air.
BigV - Stupid is my middle name but I respect wildlife and have plenty of experience with the Grizz's cousin, the black bear
Vanzack - gf is figuring out where we can soak in a spring in Mammoth. Ill stay away from the crusty stuff, thx. Reading park hotels aren't great (understatement) and way over priced but it beats driving in and out of the park everyday with the exception of the north entrance. Might stay overnight in Gardner. I hear the Park food is way worse than the hotels. We're bringing a good soft cooler and stocking up on snacks in Bozeman. I don't mind paying a high price for good food but won't for crap. 
Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

vanzack

[Quote: Originally Posted by Goggles-Pisano] Chodaz - Green River looks sweet, it's just to far out of the way. Plenty to see in yellowstone and the tetons.
Stump - Climbing is no longer in my vocabulary. Taking easy to moderate hikes as this zero elevation old man will have enough trouble with the thin air.
BigV - Stupid is my middle name but I respect wildlife and have plenty of experience with the Grizz's cousin, the black bear
Vanzack - gf is figuring out where we can soak in a spring in Mammoth. Ill stay away from the crusty stuff, thx. Reading park hotels aren't great (understatement) and way over priced but it beats driving in and out of the park everyday with the exception of the north entrance. Might stay overnight in Gardner. I hear the Park food is way worse than the hotels. We're bringing a good soft cooler and stocking up on snacks in Bozeman. I don't mind paying a high price for good food but won't for crap. 

[/Quote]

Funny, we did the same exact thing.  Landed in Bozeman, bought and loaded up a cooler full of food.  Full family of vegetarians here - and TBH the park food didnt look horrendous - but I would put it along the lines of typical ball park food - hot dogs hamburgers fries etc.

Drove to Gardner, stayed in Gardiner - we stayed at Yellowstone Gateway Inn - it was fine and a good introduction to the high priced lower quality hotels we got used to in the coming weeks.  Food also in Gardiner was a bit of a challenge.

Lots of river rafting activities in Gardiner - and depending on when you hit it can be packed and touristy.

I highly recommend when you drop in to Yellowstone on the North Side to go all the way through Lamar Valley, and take your time.  That was just unreal - saw all kinds of wildlife etc. then work your way down to the thermal areas.

Great memories.  Have a great time.

bigvern1013

[Quote: Originally Posted by Goggles-Pisano] Chodaz - Green River looks sweet, it's just to far out of the way. Plenty to see in yellowstone and the tetons.

[/Quote]

Excellent...grizzly bears are no joke, and it is shocking to see how many people don't realize it. Have a great trip.

On a side note, it is funny to hear you guys talking about Gardiner...MT gives out special elk permits every year (lottery-type drawing) for that area, and I have some buddies that have got lucky and pulled a few.

Basically, the hunters wait right outside the park for the elk to come out and hammer them....some absolute monster bulls have been taken in that area.

This one gets away, but has some serious pipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOok4KQMpqU

Goggles-Pisano

Leaving in a week. Flying in and out of Bozeman. 2 nights each at Mammoth lodge cabin, Canyon Suites and Old Faithful Cabins. First and last night in Bozeman or Gardiner. 
Activities include a soak in Mammoth Hot Springs, 1/2 day horse ride and lot's of hiking. Lamar Valley, Hayden Valley, Yellowstone waterfalls near Canyon, OF and other thermals like Lone Star. 
Thanks again for the tips 

First Prev Next Last
Desktop View: Switch to Mobile View