Mississippi Rebels vs. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (+3, 56.5)
Game will be played at LP Field in Nashville, Tennessee
FRANKLIN AMERICAN MORTGAGE MUSIC CITY BOWL STORYLINES
1. Two highly productive offenses will be on display when Georgia Tech meets Mississippi in the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl on Dec. 30 in Nashville, Tenn. The Yellow Jackets are fifth in the nation in rushing (311.7) with a variety of weapons and Ole Miss has shown a bit more balance with quarterback Bo Wallace throwing for 3,090 yards and 17 touchdowns. Georgia Tech is 4-5 since beating Duke and North Carolina while the Rebels finished with two losses, but own solid victories over LSU and Texas.
2. The key may be which defense can come up with a big play to turn the momentum. All-SEC defensive back Cody Prewitt has six interceptions for Ole Miss, including one each in the last two games, and Georgia Tech defensive end Jeremiah Attaochu is tied for second in the country in sacks with 12.
3. Georgia Tech plays in a bowl game for the 17th straight season and is 23-18 overall after snapping a seven-game losing streak with a 21-7 victory over USC in last year’s Sun Bowl. The Rebels are 22-12, including wins in nine of their last 10 bowl games, and have split with the Yellow Jackets – winning the 1971 Peach Bowl and losing the 1953 Sugar Bowl.
TV: 3:15 p.m., ESPN.
LINE: Ole Miss has held as 3-point faves. The total is down one point to 56.5.
WEATHER: Temperatures will be in the mid-30s with a 20 percent chance of rain. Wind will blow toward the SE endzone at 4 mph.
ABOUT MISSISSIPPI (7-5, 3-5 SEC): Wallace completes 64.4 percent of his passes and has three receivers with impressive numbers - Donte Moncrief (53 catches, 825 yards), Ja-Mes Logan (44, 583) and Laquon Treadwell (67, 557). The Rebels have given up 196 yards or more on the ground five times this season and an average of 155.2 overall. Ole Miss does not have a standout runner, but put up 187.4 rushing yards per contest and the Rebels had 340 passing against Auburn in an eight-point loss on the road.
ABOUT GEORGIA TECH (7-5, 5-3 ACC): David Sims rushed for at least 100 yards in three of his last five contests to lead the team with 846 and 11 touchdowns while versatile Robert Godhigh had three 100-yard games running the ball and is the team’s leader in receiving yards. Quarterback Vad Lee had four touchdown passes against a solid Duke defense in the second game and only six in the other 11 while completing only 47.2 percent of his passes. Attaochu has 31 career sacks to tie Greg Gathers (1999-2002) for the school record.
* Rebels are 3-0-1 ATS in their last four bowl games.
* Yellow Jackets are 1-5 ATS in their last six bowl games.
* Over is 4-1 in Rebels last five non-conference games.
* Under is 4-1 in Yellow Jackets last five Bowl games.