Editor's note: Uncle Mo was pulled from the Kentucky Derby field Friday morning. Odds below are adjusted numbers.
With a full field of 20 horses, many of which seem to have a chance, you might as well say picking a long shot at the 137th Kentucky Derby is merely picking the winner.
A look over the Kentucky Derby odds reveals Dialed In listed as the chalk at a hefty 4-1 and Uncle Mo right behind at 5-1, so there's plenty of value on any horse to win.
You can practically guarantee that you're looking at an exacta that will pay over $100 and a trifecta at least of $1,000.
But, if you really want boxcars, how about putting one of these bombers on top?
Here are the Top 5 long shots to win the Derby:
11. Master of Hounds (30-1): It's a long way from Tipperary for this three-year-old. The Gomez mount had a rousing performance at the UAE (Dubai) Derby and is the only horse in the race to have run 1 3/16 miles. He's well-bred and trained by Aidan O'Brien, and the European invader's sole victory was a low-price maiden race in Tipperary.
13. Mucho Macho Man (10-1): Has a win and has been no worse than fourth in five prep races. This is a big horse which has run 1 1/8 miles twice and against large, competitive fields. The Macho Man has seen all the best horses in training and won the Risen Star.
3. Twice The Appeal (17-1): I'll be honest, I really don't like this one but can you imagine as they turn for home and a long shot is making an outrageous run along the rail and Calvin Borel is aboard. Borel has won this race three of the past four years. Don't count him out.
1. Archarcharch (8-1): The rail could be unkind to the Arkansas Derby winner and at 10-1 he's practically one of the favorites. “Not a good place to be. I’ve never liked the one hole, but you got to do what you got to do,” said trainer William “Jinks” Fires. Ferdinand is the last horse to win from the rail (1986).
14. Shackleford (20-1): Finished second to the favorite, Dialed In, in the Florida Derby. Has a win at 1 1/8 miles in an allowance race and has run three races at that distance. He's also won at Churchill Downs but may want the lead and that's going to be tough to get here.