Jags owner willing to let Jones-Drew go
Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew likely will be available in free agency, but the team is hoping for his return along with suspended wide receiver Justin Blackmon in 2014.
Owner Shad Khan said Friday at the Super Bowl that he supports general manager David Caldwell's decision to let Jones-Drew test the free agent market when it opens on March 11.
"He's a great guy and we're the only team he's played for," Khan said. "But it takes two to tango. Personally, I would love to see him back, but it has to make sense for him. Dave has been on the record with what we want to do and that's absolutely true."
The 28-year-old Jones-Drew played in 15 games this past season and rushed for 803 yards and five touchdowns on 234 carries. In eight seasons with the Jaguars, Jones-Drew has 8,071 rushing yards and 68 touchdowns on 1,804 carries.
"They want to let me go and and test the market a little bit, which I appreciate. We'll just go from there," Jones-Drew said.
The 24-year-old Blackmon, the Jaguars' first-round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, is eligible to be reinstated before next season. He was suspended twice last year -- the second time indefinitely -- for substance abuse.
"It's disappointing what happened to him, but for the young man, we want him to get his life together and be a part of the Jaguars," Khan said.
Blackmon played in just four games last season between suspensions. In his brief career, he has 93 receptions for 1,280 yards and six touchdowns.