Texas Rangers at New York Yankees (+123, 7.5)
Yu Darvish will vie for his first victory in nearly six weeks on Tuesday when the Texas Rangers open a three-game series against the host New York Yankees. The major-league leader in strikeouts fanned 10 batters in his lone career outing versus New York on April 24, 2012. Darvish would be smart to keep an eye on promising rookie Zoilo Almonte, who wrapped up his first major-league series against Tampa Bay by going 7-for-11 with a home run and four RBIs.
Darvish will be opposed by Japanese countryman Hiroki Kuroda, who recorded his first victory since May 17 when he blanked his former team - the Los Angeles Dodgers - in his last trip to the mound. That victory was just the fourth in 12 games for the Yankees, who have mustered three runs or fewer in seven of those contests. Texas enjoyed a well-deserved day off after going 20 without one - capped by a fifth straight victory with a 2-1 triumph over St. Louis on Sunday.TV:
7:05 p.m. ET, FSSW (Texas), YES, WWOR (New York)
Rangers RH Yu Darvish (7-3, 2.84 ERA) vs. Yankees RH Hiroki Kuroda (7-5, 2.78)
Darvish, who last won on May 16, was originally slated to pitch on Sunday against St. Louis, but saw his start pushed back to make room for Martin Perez. The young fireballer yielded five runs on six hits in as many innings to take the loss versus Oakland in his last turn. Darvish has pitched well on the road, winning three of four decisions while brandishing a 0.76 WHIP and limiting the opposition to a .155 batting average.
Prior to defeating the Dodgers, Kuroda posted an 0-3 mark in his previous five starts despite permitting just 14 runs. The 38-year-old is just 1-2 in his career versus Texas, despite striking out 16 batters and registering a 2.57 ERA. Kuroda is 5-2 with a 2.08 ERA at Yankee Stadium this season.TRENDS:
* Rangers are 1-5 in Darvish’s last six starts.
* Under is 7-0 in Darvish’s last seven starts vs. American League East foes.
* Yankees are 5-1 in Kuroda’s last six home starts.WALK-OFFS
1. New York 1B Mark Teixeira is still experiencing pain in his right wrist after more than a week removed from receiving a cortisone shot.
2. Texas 2B Ian Kinsler, who had the tiebreaking RBI single in the seventh on Sunday, has 11 singles during his seven-game hitting streak. Kinsler is 2-for-9 in his career versus Kuroda.
3. The Yankees have won 15 of their last 20 home games versus the Rangers.