Florida State vs. Georgia Tech (14, 61)
Fortunately for Florida State and Georgia Tech, neither team needed a win last week to reach Saturday’s ACC Championship Game in Charlotte, N.C. Both teams are coming off disappointing losses to their in-state rivals, with Florida State losing 37-26 to Florida and Georgia Tech falling 42-10 against Georgia. The Yellow Jackets won the ACC Coastal Division despite three conference losses, while the Seminoles blew any chance of reaching the BCS title game when they committed five turnovers in their loss to Florida. The winner advances to the Orange Bowl on New Year's Day, possibly against the Big East champion. Florida State leads the all-time series 12-9-1, with the last four meetings decided by a combined 16 points.
8 p.m. ET, ESPN. LINE:
Florida State -14, O/U 61.WEATHER:
Forecasts are calling for temperatures in the mid-50s with partly cloudy skies. Winds will be light out of the SE.ABOUT FLORIDA STATE (10-2, 7-1 ACC):
The Seminoles are led by the nation's fourth-most efficient passer in quarterback EJ Manuel, who needs 33 passing yards to reach 3,000 this season. The 6-5 senior threw a season-high three interceptions in the loss against Florida. The Seminoles boast the nation’s second-best defense, allowing 249.42 yards per game, but they’ll be without senior defensive end Cornellius (Tank) Carradine for the rest of the season. Carradine, who leads the Seminoles with 80 tackles, suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee against the Gators. The secondary is led by cornerback Ronald Darby, who was named the ACC’s top defensive freshman.ABOUT GEORGIA TECH (6-6, 5-3):
The Yellow Jackets rank third in the nation in rushing at 323.3 yards per game, with senior guard Omoregie Uzzi leading an impressive offensive line. Senior quarterback Tevin Washington has 18 rushing touchdowns this season, and the team is hoping to get leading rusher Orwin Smith back after he missed last week’s game against Georgia with a sprained right ankle. Smith, who leads the ACC with an average of nine yards per carry, expects to practice this week and play in the title game. The Yellow Jackets are not as strong on the other side of the ball, where they rank 84th nationally in scoring defense while allowing an average of 31 points.TRENDS:
* Over is 3-0-1 in Seminoles’ last four games overall.
* Seminoles are 0-2-2 ATS in their last four meetings.
* Yellow Jackets are 4-0 ATS in their last four conference games.
* Over is 5-1 in Yellow Jackets’ last six games following a loss.EXTRA POINTS:
1. Georgia Tech has lost five straight games against nationally ranked teams.
2. Florida State defensive coordinator Mark Stoops was named the University of Kentucky's new coach Tuesday, but will remain with the Seminoles at least through Saturday’s game.
3. The Yellow Jackets have requested a bowl-eligibility waiver from the NCAA in case they lose Saturday and fall to 6-7, which would make them ineligible for a bowl game.